US to confront Iran at World Court: Pompeo
Iran Press TV
Mon Aug 27, 2018 03:46PM
The United States has objected to a lawsuit filed at the International Court of Justice (ICJ) by Iran against the US for the re-imposition of sanctions.
Last month, Iran filed a complaint with the Hague-based tribunal, also known as the World Court, asking the UN's top court to order the US to lift its recently re-imposed sanctions on the Islamic Republic.
"We will vigorously defend against Iran's merit-less claims this week in The Hague," US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Monday.
Pompeo said Iran's complaint to the ICJ was "an attempt to interfere with the sovereign rights of the United States to take lawful actions, including re-imposition of sanctions, which are necessary to protect our national security."
"The proceedings instituted by Iran are a misuse of the Court," he argued.
Meanwhile, the Court's oral proceedings are scheduled to begin on Tuesday.
Iran believes that the US sanctions against Iran violate the terms of a 1955 friendship treaty between the two countries.
At a court hearing at the Hague on Monday, Iran's lawyer Mohsen Mohebi, described the re-imposition of the "Illegal" sanctions as a blatant "economic aggression" against Iran by the US government.
The US has targeted "Iran's economy, and Iranian nationals and companies," he said.
Mohebi said the Iranian nation would resist against the US demands.
"Iran will put up the strongest resistance to the US economic strangulation, by all peaceful means," he said.
Tehran has called on the United Nations court to order the immediate lifting of the sanctions.
The US re-imposition of sanction against Iran came after US President Donald Trump pulled out of the 2015 nuclear deal known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) and set forth 12 new demands in order for the US to agree to a new nuclear deal with Tehran.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|