23 December 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 23 Dec 2016 [PDF]
- Military Strikes Target ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 23 Dec 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Taliban: Peace Talks Not Possible Until Foreign 'Occupation' of Afghanistan Ends VOA 23 Dec 2016 -- The Taliban has rejected latest United Nations calls for engaging in peace talks with the Afghan government, and instead demanded the world body pressure U.S.-led foreign troops to end their "occupation" of Afghanistan if the U.N. truly wants an end to the 15-year war.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Trump Asks Boeing to 'Price Out' F/A-18 Due to Huge Price Tag for New F-35 Sputnik 23 Dec 2016 -- President-elect Donald Trump said in a statement on Thursday evening he has asked the airplane manufacturer Boeing to list a price for the F/A-18 Super Hornet combat aircraft due to high cost of Lockheed Martin's F-35 fifth generation multirole jets.
- Trump drops Twitter bomb on Lockheed Martin's stealth fighter Press TV 23 Dec 2016 -- US President-elect Donald Trump has criticized the cost of Lockheed Martin's F-35 Joint Strike Fighter jet, saying he's asked Boeing to offer a price for an alternative to the expensive stealth fighter jet.
- Statement by the President on Signing the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2017 The White House 23 Dec 2016
- Multinational paratroopers fill NC skies AFNS 23 Dec 2016 -- Instead of snow above North Carolina's frigid skies, the horizon was filled with paratroopers as they 'flurried' to the ground, during the 19th annual Randy Oler Memorial Operation Toy Drop Dec. 5-16.
- U.S. Marines in Bulgaria conclude Exercise Platinum Lion USMC News 23 Dec 2016 -- U.S. Marines completed Exercise Platinum Lion 17.1, conducting multiple training operations alongside eight partner nations from the Black Sea and Caucasus regions in Novo Selo Training Area, Bulgaria, 12 Dec. to 21 Dec. 2016, to improve interoperability and tactical strength amongst NATO partners.
- VMA-542 heads home USMC News 23 Dec 2016 -- U.S. Marines with Marine Attack Squadron 542 completed their Aviation Training Relocation Program at Chitose Air Base, and headed back to Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan, Dec. 22, 2016.
- MACS-4 Marines train to employ expeditionary runways USMC News 23 Dec 2016 -- U.S. Marines with Marine Air Control Squadron 4 Detachment Bravo, Marine Air Traffic Control Mobile Team, conducted aircraft landing zone training at Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan, Dec. 21, 2016.
- USS Wasp Completes Deployment, Ready for Japan NNS 23 Dec 2016 -- The amphibious assault ship USS Wasp (LHD 1) completed the final portion of its first deployment in 12 years when it finished offloading the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), Dec. 22.
- ROK, US Naval Alliance Takes Next Step with 'Combined Edge' Junior Officer Exchange Program NNS 23 Dec 2016 -- A junior officer from U.S. Seventh Fleet embarked on a Republic of Korea (ROK) Navy ship as part of the newly created Combined Edge junior officer exchange program, Dec. 21-23.
- Enhanced Energy: ONR Global Seeks More Powerful Electronic Devices NNS 23 Dec 2016 -- Groundbreaking energy research from the United Arab Emirates, sponsored by the Office of Naval Research Global (ONRG), is the focus of an article published this week in the acclaimed Nature Magazine journal "Scientific Reports."
- US Marine Corp Armored Vehicles Too Heavy For Osprey Rotorcraft Sputnik 23 Dec 2016 -- Vehicle protection requirements implemented by the US Marine Corps limit the service's ability to deliver offensive and defensive firepower into combat zones.
- Russia's defense systems more effective than U.S. ones: Putin People's Daily 23 Dec 2016 -- Russia's nuclear defense systems are more effective than those of the United States, and the Russian Armed Forces are stronger than any potential aggressor, Russian President Vladimir Putin said Friday at his annual year-end press conference.
- Russian nuclear missiles can penetrate any defense system: Putin Press TV 23 Dec 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has hailed nuclear missiles in his country's military inventory, stating that the ammunition can penetrate any missile defense system in the world.
- Putin Approves Decree on Russian Naval Base in Tartus Expansion - Kremlin Sputnik 23 Dec 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin signed on Friday a decree approving the expansion of Russian naval base's territory, a document published on the Kremlin website read.
- Putin Approves Decree on Deployment of Russian Air Group in Syria Sputnik 23 Dec 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin approved a decree on the deployment of an air group of the Russian Aerospace Forces in Syria, a document issued on the Kremlin website said.
- Russian Navy to Stop Production of Borei-Class Nuclear Subs - Deputy Commander Sputnik 23 Dec 2016 -- The Russian Navy decided to halt production of the 955A Borei-class nuclear submarines (NATO reporting name Dolgorukiy class) and to modernize the project, Navy Deputy Commander-in-Chief Vice Adm. Viktor Bursuk said Friday.
- Russian National Defense to Be Main Item of Budget Savings - Putin Sputnik 23 Dec 2016 -- Russian national defense section will finance the Russian budget in 2017-2019, Russian President Vladimir Putin said Friday at an annual press conference.
- Russia to Launch Lead Submarines of Borei-A, Yasen-M Classes in 2017 - Navy Sputnik 23 Dec 2016 -- Lead nuclear submarines of the modernized Borei-class project 995A and Yasen-class project 885M will be launched in 2017, Navy Deputy Commander-in-Chief Vice Adm. Viktor Bursuk said Friday.
- Israel and US in Rare Public Clash Over Hezbollah's American Troop Carriers Sputnik 23 Dec 2016 -- Israel and US foreign affairs officials are at odds concerning Hezbollah's M113 Armored Personnel Carriers (APCs) that recently appeared in photos with Hezbollah's yellow flag.
- China announces standby peacekeeping police force People's Daily 23 Dec 2016 -- The China Standby Peacekeeping Police Force under the Ministry of Public Security has been formed in Dongying City in east China's Shandong Province, according to an announcement on Thursday.
- Chinese Navy finishes 1,000 escort missions at Gulf of Aden People's Daily 23 Dec 2016 -- Thursday marked the eighth anniversary of the launch of the Chinese Navy's escort mission at the Gulf of Aden, the body of water to the north of Somalia in the Horn of Africa, an area of frequent pirate activity.
- N Korea May Conduct Next Nuclear Test 'at Any Time' - S Korean Intel Service Sputnik 23 Dec 2016 -- Pyongyang may carry out yet another nuclear test at any moment, taking into consideration activities at North Korea's nuclear sites, the director of South Korea's National Intelligence Service (NIS) said Friday.
- India to Purchase Sole C-17 Transporters in Boeing's Inventory Sputnik 23 Dec 2016 -- The C-17 Globemaster III transport aircraft has been criticized by the Indian auditor for a below par performance – the annual average load ranged between 13 tons and 18 tons per sortie against the payload capacity of 70 tons. Yet India wants to but the sole aircraft left in US inventory.
- Army underlines coordination for any flight IRNA 23 Dec 2016 -- Army's Khatam ol-Anbia Air Defense Base in a statement, released on Friday, said any flight on Tehran air should be coordinated with the Base.
- Kuwait - Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM) Tail Kits DSCA 23 Dec 2016 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Government of Kuwait for Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM) Tail Kits and related equipment, and support. The estimated cost is $37 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on December 20, 2016.
- MiG-29 Fighter Jets From Russia to 'Save' Serbia's Air Force Sputnik 23 Dec 2016 -- Russia plans to transfer six Mikoyan MiG-29 multirole fighters to Serbia as part of a military and technical cooperation program, with defense analyst Aleksandar Radic telling Sputnik that Belgrade "urgently needs" these military aircraft. Under the deal, the Balkan nation will also receive 30 T-72С tanks and 30 BRDM-2 amphibious vehicles.
- Philippines Takes Strides Toward Alliance With China VOA 23 Dec 2016 -- The Philippines is showing new signs this month of strengthening an alliance with China and weakening ties with its old friend, the United States, giving Beijing a key partner in its controversial maritime expansion and Manila a source of long-term investment.
- UN chief welcomes Security Council resolution on Israeli settlements as 'significant step' UN News 23 Dec 2016 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today welcomed the adoption of a Security Council resolution which states that the establishment of Israeli settlements in Palestinian territory occupied since 1967, have "no legal validity," constitute a "flagrant violation" under international law and are a "major obstacle" to a two-State solution and a just, lasting and comprehensive peace.
- Explanation of Vote at the Adoption of UN Security Council Resolution 2334 on the Situation in the Middle East U.S. Permanent Representative to the United Nations 23 Dec 2016
- Today's Vote in the UN Security Council US Dept. of State 23 Dec 2016 -- "Today, the United States acted with one primary objective in mind: to preserve the possibility of the two state solution, which every U.S. administration for decades has agreed is the only way to achieve a just and lasting peace between Israelis and Palestinians. Two "
- On-the-Record Press Call on the U.N. Security Council Resolution on Israeli Settlement Activity The White House 23 Dec 2016
- UNSC passes resolution to end Israeli settlements Press TV 23 Dec 2016 -- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has passed a resolution censuring Israel for its settlement activities in the occupied Palestinian territories after the US refused to veto it, reversing its longstanding policy of shielding the Israeli regime from condemnatory resolutions at the world body.
- Egypt delays anti-Israel vote following Trump's phone call Press TV 23 Dec 2016 -- Cairo says it agreed to delay a UN Security Council resolution it has drafted against illegal Israeli settlements after US president-elect Donald Trump called the Egyptian leader to make Washington's opposition clear.
- UN Votes Against Israeli Settlements, but US Abstains VOA 23 Dec 2016 -- Frustration in the outgoing Obama administration over the pace of expansion of Israeli settlements boiled over Friday, when the U.S. took the unusual step of allowing a resolution against Israel to pass in the U.N. Security Council.
- US Embassy Move to Jerusalem Could Further Fuel Extremism VOA 23 Dec 2016 -- President-elect Donald Trump has vowed to move the U.S. Embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, a move which would break with longstanding American policy. His proposal has touched off debate on one of the most emotional and contentious issues dividing Israelis and Palestinians: The status of the city they both regard as their capital.
- Turkish raids leave 88 civilians in northern Syria: Report Press TV 23 Dec 2016 -- Nearly 90 civilians have reportedly fallen victim to Turkish air raids in northern Syria over the past 24 hours as Ankara steps up its military campaign against what it calls Daesh positions there.
- Turkish Operation in Syria's Al-Bab Close to End – Erdogan Sputnik 23 Dec 2016 -- The Turkish operation aimed at liberation of the northern Syrian city of al-Bab from Daesh terrorist group is close to its end, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Friday.
- Turkish Troops Kill Over 1,000 Daesh Terrorists in Euphrates Shield Operation Sputnik 23 Dec 2016 -- Over a thousand of Daesh militants have been eliminated in the course of the Operation Euphrates Shield in northern Syria, Turkish Defense Minister Fikri Isik said Thursday.
- At Security Council, UN humanitarian official flags 'catastrophic' situation in Syria despite eastern Aleppo evacuations UN News 23 Dec 2016 -- Briefing the Security Council on the situation in Syria, a senior United Nations humanitarian official underlined the enormity challenges of the continuing humanitarian operations in the region.
- Syria: Situation 'remains catastrophic' despite eastern Aleppo evacuations, Security Council told UN News 23 Dec 2016 -- Briefing the Security Council on the situation in Syria, a senior United Nations humanitarian official underlined the enormity challenges of the continuing humanitarian operations in the region.
- Syrian Civilians Begin Returning to Aleppo Neighborhoods VOA 23 Dec 2016 -- Hundreds of Syrians returned to Aleppo on Friday to check on their homes after the last rebels left the city Thursday.
- Putin: Peace Talks for Syria to Be Held in Astana VOA 23 Dec 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin said Friday Russia, Iran, Turkey and Syria have agreed to hold peace discussions in the Kazakh capital of Astana to resolve the conflict in Syria.
- Aleppo cleansed and liberated IRNA 23 Dec 2016 -- Aleppo, the economic capital of Syria, has been cleansed and liberated after four years of occupation by terrorists.
- Envoy to UN: Syrian crisis needs no military solutions IRNA 23 Dec 2016 -- Iran's Ambassador and Deputy Permanent Representative to the United Nations Gholamali Dehghani on Wednesday criticized a recent draft resolution on Syria referring to it as an "unconstructive" move that can undermine all efforts to end Syrian crisis through political solutions.
- Russia's Putin calls Syria's Assad to congratulate on Aleppo liberation Press TV 23 Dec 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has called his Syrian counterpart Bashar al-Assad to congratulate him on the full liberation of Syria's strategic city of Aleppo from the control of foreign-backed militants.
- Aleppo win great step for Syria, region: Russian President Putin Press TV 23 Dec 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has described the recent liberation of Syria's second city of Aleppo as a sizeable step toward the restoration of stability in the Arab country and the region in general.
- Turkey urges 'nationwide' truce in Syria after Aleppo liberation Press TV 23 Dec 2016 -- The Turkish foreign minister has called for a "nationwide" ceasefire in Syria and negotiations between Damascus and foreign-backed militants who were fully driven out of Aleppo on Thursday.
- Syria's Assad Claims 'Turning Point' In War With Takeover Of Aleppo RFE/RL 23 Dec 2016 -- The Syrian Army said it has taken complete control of Aleppo after evacuating the last rebel fighters from the battered city on December 22, handing President Bashar al-Assad his most important gain in the nearly six-year civil war.
- Assad Thanks Putin for Russia's Efforts to Liberate Aleppo Sputnik 23 Dec 2016 -- Syrian President Bashar Assad thanked Russian President Vladimir Putin for Moscow's efforts to liberate Aleppo, Syrian government news agency SANA reported Friday.
- Putin Calls Assad to Congratulate With Aleppo Liberation Sputnik 23 Dec 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin congratulated Syrian President Bashar Assad with the liberation of Aleppo during a phone conversation, the Kremlin said Friday, noting that the main task now is peace efforts.
- ICRC Hopes Presence of Monitors in Aleppo Not to Politicize Operation Sputnik 23 Dec 2016 -- The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) hopes that deployment of monitors to Syria's Aleppo in accordance with a UN Security Council resolution on monitoring evacuations will not make the humanitarian operation more politicized, ICRC President Peter Maurer told Sputnik.
- Aleppo liberation 'great loss' for militants fighting to topple Assad Press TV 23 Dec 2016 -- Takfiri militant groups have expressed smoldering resentment over the liberation of Aleppo by Syrian government soldiers and allied fighters, describing the city's liberation as a "great loss" for foreign-sponsored terrorists fighting to overthrow the Damascus government.
- Joint Statement on Libya by the Governments of France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States US Dept. of State 23 Dec 2016
- Hijackers of Libyan Plane Surrender in Malta VOA 23 Dec 2016 -- The two hijackers aboard a Libyan plane surrendered to police Friday after rerouting the jet to the island of Malta and releasing all hostages on board, said Malta's prime minister, Joseph Muscat.
- OSCE SMM Observers Record 75% Spike in Donbass Ceasefire Violations Sputnik 23 Dec 2016 -- Principal Deputy Chief Monitor of the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission (SMM) Alexander Hug has reported a huge spike in ceasefire violations in Ukraine's breakaway Donbass region with up to a thousand of mortar tank artillery and multiple launch rocket systems explosions in the last week.
- Criticism Taints Myanmar's Media Access to Rakhine Crisis Zone VOA 23 Dec 2016 -- Almost three months after insurgents killed nine border guard police officers in Myanmar's northern Rakhine state, the government loosened its grip on the area this week by inviting a group of journalists and photographers on a three-day tour of places affected by the violence.
- UN rejects US-drafted resolution on South Sudan Press TV 23 Dec 2016 -- The UN Security Council has rejected a resolution drafted by the US that would have imposed an arms embargo on South Sudan.
- UN Security Council Rejects Arms Embargo on South Sudan VOA 23 Dec 2016 -- The United Nations Security Council has rejected a U.S.-drafted resolution to impose sanctions and an arms embargo on South Sudan.
- About 30,000 Displaced in CAR Over 3R Rebel Group's Violence - UN Sputnik 23 Dec 2016 -- The recently formed Return, Reclamation, Rehabilitation group (3R) in the Central African Republic is devastating the already unstable western part of the country, forcing tens of thousands of civilians from their homes, a spokesperson at the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said Friday.
- Liberia: Security Council extends UN Mission, for the final time, until 30 March 2018 UN News 23 Dec 2016 -- Adopting a resolution today, the United Nations Security Council decided to extend the mandate of the United Nations Mission in Liberia (UNMIL), for the final time, until 30 March 2018 and adjusted its mandate to comprise protection of civilians, reform of justice and security institutions, protection and promotion of human rights, public information activities, and protection of UN personnel and installations.
- Latest Mediterranean tragedy pushes number of people perishing in 2016 beyond 5,000 - UN UN News 23 Dec 2016 -- Highlighting that the number of casualties in the Mediterranean Sea this year has crossed 5,000 with the latest reports of about 100 people feared to have drowned, the United Nations refugee agency has called on countries to increase pathways for admission of refugees.
- China urges U.S. to cut nuclear arsenal after Trump tweet People's Daily 23 Dec 2016 -- China on Friday called on the United States to take the lead in cutting nuclear weapons after U.S. President-elect Donald Trump used Twitter to propose the expansion of his country's nuclear capabilities.
- 'Let it be an arms race': Trump Press TV 23 Dec 2016 -- US President-elect Donald Trump has said, "Let it be an arms race", commenting one day after he called for expanding the country's nuclear weapons capability.
- Trump Team Scrambles to Clarify Calls for Expansion of US Nuclear Capabilities VOA 23 Dec 2016 -- U.S. President-elect Donald Trump tweeted Thursday that "The United States must greatly strengthen and expand its nuclear capabilities until such time as the world comes to its senses regarding nukes."
- Vladimir Putin's annual news conference President of Russia 23 Dec 2016 -- The President's news conference was broadcast live by Rossiya 1, Rossiya 24 and Channel One, as well as Mayak, Vesti FM and Radio Rossii radio stations.
- At Annual News Conference, Putin Says U.S. Ties Can't Get Worse, Hopes For Improvement RFE/RL 23 Dec 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin criticized U.S. President Barack Obama's administration and said the Democratic Party should blame itself for Hillary Clinton's loss to Republican Donald Trump in the U.S. election.
- Putin Ready for Constructive Dialogue With US - Kremlin Spokesman Sputnik 23 Dec 2016 -- /Russian President Vladimir Putin is open for a constructive dialogue with the US, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Friday.
- Trump's Call to Enhance US Nuclear Potential Unsurprising - Putin Sputnik 23 Dec 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin expected from Donald Trump the willing to reinforce US nuclear capabilities, as it was said at an annual press conference.
- Putin Touts Syria Peace, Pokes US Democrats VOA 23 Dec 2016 -- In his annual end-of-year press conference Friday, Russian President Vladimir Putin devoted a lot of time to economic issues, as the country struggles to get back to growth after shrinking the past two years because of low oil prices and economic sanctions over its actions in Ukraine.
- China warns of 'showdown' over Trump choices Press TV 23 Dec 2016 -- Chinese state media have warned of a "showdown" with the US after President-elect Donald Trump named an economist pushing for a hard line against China to head a key White House post.
- China Monitoring Possible Changes to US Nuclear Policy After Trump's Statement Sputnik 23 Dec 2016 -- Beijing is paying close attention to the policy that may be adopted by the United States following President-elect Donald Trump's earlier statement on the need for nuclear capabilities' enhancement, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said Friday.
- Minister reaffirms military's commitment to local submarine program CNA 23 Dec 2016 -- The military is committed to its locally- developed submarine program and once progress is made, it expects other countries to express interest in making submarine deals with Taiwan, Defense Minister Feng Shih-kuan (馮世寬) said Friday.
- Chinese official reiterates '1992 consensus' mantra CNA 23 Dec 2016 -- A senior Chinese official responsible for Taiwan affairs on Friday reiterated Beijing's insistence that the "1992 consensus" be an important anchor for cross-Taiwan Strait peace and stability.
- Trump to bring uncertainty to Asia-Pacific region: Taiwan official CNA 23 Dec 2016 -- U.S. President-elect Donald Trump will bring tremendous uncertainty to the development in the Asia-Pacific region, and Taiwan will adjust its diplomatic strategy in response to international affairs, Foreign Minister David Lee (李大維) said Friday.
- Snowden's intelligence leaks largest in US history: Congress Press TV 23 Dec 2016 -- US intelligence whistleblower Edward Snowden "has had and continues to have contact" with Russian intelligence services and his leaks were the largest public release of top-secret materials in US history, according to a newly declassified congressional report.
- Iran publishes Joint Commission of the JCPOA resolutions IRNA 23 Dec 2016 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry official website on Friday published the Joint Commission of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) resolutions.
- Pyongyang Slams UN Chief's Ambition to Become Next South Korean President Sputnik 23 Dec 2016 -- North Korea subjected the UN Secretary-General's Ban Ki-moon's ambition to run for president in South Korea in 2017 to severe criticism.
- South Korea's Anti-Presidential Breakaway Faction to Create New Party Sputnik 23 Dec 2016 -- A faction from South Korea's Saenuri Party, who earlier vowed to leave the ruling group, are to set up a new party, with their first meeting scheduled for Friday, local media reported.
- What Effect will Park's Impeachment have on Policies? VOA 23 Dec 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye awaits an uncertain political fate as her impeachment is adjudicated by the country's Constitutional Court. While an overwhelming number of South Koreans want her removed from office, it's unclear how these events will impact Park's programs, like the controversial "comfort women" agreement with Japan, the bilateral intelligence-sharing pact with Tokyo, and deployment of Terminal High-Altitude Area Defense (THAAD), a United States high-altitude missile defense system.
- ECOWAS will deploy troops to Gambia if Jammeh does not step down Press TV 23 Dec 2016 -- The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) says it will deploy troops to the Gambia if longtime President Yahya Jammeh does not leave office at the end of his mandate in January.
- West African States Threaten Military Action in Gambia VOA 23 Dec 2016 -- West Africa's regional bloc has threatened to use force in Gambia if the country's longtime leader does not step down in January as scheduled, following his loss in presidential elections.
- Deal reached in DR Congo to allow president to stay in office for another year Press TV 23 Dec 2016 -- The opposition and the government in the Democratic Republic of the Congo have agreed on a deal to allow President Joseph Kabila remain in office for an additional year in return for not seeking a third term, the opposition has announced.
- DR Congo: 'Heavy-handed and irresponsible response' to protests could lead to further conflict, warns UN rights chief UN News 23 Dec 2016 -- Amid reports that dozens of people have been killed in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) in recent days, the top United Nations human rights official has warned that repression of dissenting voices and a heavy-handed and irresponsible response to the protests risk provoking more violence and could cause further conflict in the country.
- Riyadh projects increased 2017 spending Press TV 23 Dec 2016 -- Saudi Arabia has projected an increased spending in its budget for 2017 but has slightly reduced its military budget.
- Berlin attack suspect shot dead in Italy Press TV 23 Dec 2016 -- A man believed to be the perpetrator of a Monday terrorist attack in the German city of Berlin has been killed in Italy.
- Berlin Christmas Market Attack Suspect Shot Dead By Italian Police RFE/RL 23 Dec 2016 -- Italy's interior minister said the suspect in the Berlin Christmas market truck attack that killed 12 people was shot dead by Italian police in a suburb of Milan.
- Berlin Attack Suspect Recruited in Germany, Spoke Openly of Mounting Truck Attack VOA 23 Dec 2016 -- Anis Amri attended mosque hours after carrying out his deadly attack Monday on a Berlin Christmas market that left 12 dead and dozens injured, but there was nothing especially pious about the 24-year-old Tunisian before or even after he was radicalized.
- Video Purportedly Shows Suspect in German Attack Calling for Bloodshed VOA 23 Dec 2016 -- An Islamic State-linked video released Friday purportedly shows the suspect in Monday's deadly truck attack on a German Christmas market calling for more attacks in Europe.
- Five arrested over Christmas Day terror plot in Melbourne Press TV 23 Dec 2016 -- Australian police in the city of Melbourne have foiled a terror plot and detained five suspects behind the scheme.
- South East Asia Steps up Security to Terror Threat Over Christmas, New Year VOA 23 Dec 2016 -- South East Asian nations, including the Philippines, Indonesia and Thailand, are stepping up security amid warnings of terrorist attacks by supporters of the so-called Islamic State over the Christmas and New Year holidays.
- Final trial results confirm Ebola vaccine provides 'high protection' - UN health agency UN News 23 Dec 2016 -- The United Nations World Health Organization (WHO) has said that an experimental Ebola vaccine has been found to be highly protective against the deadly virus in a major trial in Guinea.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|