29 November 2015 Military News
- Military Strikes Target ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 29 Nov 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Afghanistan, Pakistan Leaders to Hold Icebreaking Talks in Paris VOA 29 Nov 2015 -- Leaders of Afghanistan and Pakistan are expected to hold an "icebreaking" meeting on the margins of the U.N. climate change summit that starts Monday in Paris.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US Navy facing serious crisis: New report Press TV 29 Nov 2015 -- The US Navy is facing a serious crisis as it will no longer be able to confront the emerging global threats due to its tired sailors and dwindling number of ships, a new study reveals.
- Germany to send 1,200 troops to join anti-Daesh battle in Syria Press TV 29 Nov 2015 -- Germany plans to deploy 1,200 troops to support a naval frigate as well as reconnaissance and refueling aircraft, which it has pledged to send to the battle against Daesh terrorists in Syria.
- Possible military dimension of Iran nuclear program invalid, Zarif IRNA 29 Nov 2015 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad-Javad Zarif said on Sunday that alleged possible military dimension of Iranian nuclear program is invalid.
- Supreme Leader lauds Navy success to enforce int'l law of the Sea IRNA 29 Nov 2015 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei on Sunday lauded the significant efforts of the Iranian Navy to enforce International Law of the Sea.
- Ayatollah Khamenei meets with Iran Navy commanders Press TV 29 Nov 2015 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has received a group of Iranian Navy commanders and officials in the capital, Tehran.
- Iran Navy receives domestically-built Qadir cruise missiles Press TV 29 Nov 2015 -- Iran's Navy has officially received domestically-manufactured anti-ship cruise missiles dubbed Qadir.
- South Korea Building New Base for Rapid Reaction to Pyongyang's Moves Sputnik 29 Nov 2015 -- South Korea has unveiled a plan to open a new naval base on a southern resort island of Jeju to host a rapid-reaction force that will respond to 'provocations' from the North, local media reported Sunday.
- 16 more civilians killed in Saudi airstrikes on Yemen Press TV 29 Nov 2015 -- At least 16 Yemeni civilians have been killed in the latest aerial attacks carried out by Saudi warplanes across Yemen.
- 3 Turkish officials arrested over interception of Syria-bound arms Press TV 29 Nov 2015 -- Turkish authorities have detained two generals and a colonel for their alleged role in the January interception of trucks belonging to the country's intelligence agency that were reportedly carrying weapons to the Takfiri terror groups operating in neighboring Syria.
- Turkey Arrests Generals for Stopping Syria-Bound Trucks 'Filled With Arms' Sputnik 29 Nov 2015 -- Two Turkish generals and a colonel were detained on Saturday for intercepting Syria-bound trucks that belonged to Turkey's National Intelligence Organization (MIT), the newspaper Today's Zaman reported.
- Ankara Knew Turkish Arms Would End Up in ISIL Hands - Arrested Journalists Sputnik 29 Nov 2015 -- By sending arms to Syria, Turkey knew that the weapons would end up in the hands of the Islamic State terrorist group, journalists from an Istanbul-based newspaper whose editors were arrested for divulging "state secrets" told RT.
- Turkey Returning Body of Russian Pilot VOA 29 Nov 2015 -- Turkey said Sunday it is returning the body of a pilot who died after parachuting out of a Russian jet that was shot down by Turkish forces last week.
- Assad: Syrian victories indebted to support of friendly nations IRNA 29 Nov 2015 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said on Sunday that the Syrian people and army in their stiff struggle with terrorism are indebted to the support of the friendly nations mainly the Islamic Republic of Iran and Russia.
- Daesh executes 3,500 Syrians since June 2014 Press TV 29 Nov 2015 -- The Takfiri Daesh terrorists have executed more than 3,500 people, including hundreds of civilians, across Syria since mid last year, a monitoring group says.
- Obama must intensify fight against Daesh: Robert Gates Press TV 29 Nov 2015 -- US President Barack Obama's strategy in fighting the Daesh (ISIL) terrorists in Iraq and Syria needs "to be sped up an intensified," former US Defense Secretary Robert Gates says.
- Iran: Syria left its mark in history Press TV 29 Nov 2015 -- A senior Iranian official says the Syrian government and people have managed to leave their mark in history by standing up to aggressors.
- Turkey arms supplies to Syria militants increased: Syrian army Press TV 29 Nov 2015 -- Syria's military says Ankara has recently increased its supplies of weapons, ammunition and equipment to militant groups fighting against the government of President Bashar al-Assad.
- Syrian Army Gains Upper Hand in Fight Against ISIL in Aleppo Sputnik 29 Nov 2015 -- The Syrian government forces have gained the upper hand in their fight against Islamic State (ISIL) terrorists in the eastern part of Aleppo province and have advanced near Deir Hafer region, FARS news agency reported.
- Assad: Hostile States Boost Support to Militants Due to Syrian Army Success Sputnik 29 Nov 2015 -- Syrian President Bashar Assad during a meeting with the chief adviser to Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Akbar Velayati said in Damascus that "countries hostile to Syria" have increased the supply of arms and financial support to militants in connection with the successes of the Syrian army, supported by Russia and Iran.
- Cameron Wants to Order UK Air Force to Kill ISIL Leaders Sputnik 29 Nov 2015 -- UK Prime Minister David Cameron said he would order Britain's Royal Air Force to target Islamic State militant group leadership in Syria, if the parliament backs his proposal to extend the UK anti-ISIL campaign to Syria, local media reported Sunday.
- Syrian Army Repels Massive ISIL Offensive on Strategic Air Base Sputnik 29 Nov 2015 -- The Syrian forces repelled a massive assault by Islamic State (ISIL) militants on the strategic Deir ez-Zor air base, having destroyed scores of attackers in a counter-offensive.
- Israel Says Russian Warplane 'Briefly' Entered Airspace Over Golan Heights Sputnik 29 Nov 2015 -- An aircraft of the Russian Aerospace Forces task unit deployed to Syria entered by mistake the Israeli-controlled airspace over Golan Heights and left it, Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon reported.
- Pope's visit highlights CAR's deep scars IRIN 29 Nov 2015 -- The Pope's visit to this capital city on Sunday is, in his own words, motivated by his desire to "contribute to the dressing of the wounds and opening of the way to a more serene future for Central African Republic and all its citizens." His trip comes almost three years after a rebel coup that continues to reverberate violently in different parts of the country.
- 'Lay Down Weapons,' Pope Tells CAR Fighters VOA 29 Nov 2015 -- Pope Francis has called on warring parties in the Central African Republic to lay down their weapons and support efforts to end sectarian strife.
- Burkina Faso Voting for New President, Parliament VOA 29 Nov 2015 -- In Burkina Faso, more than five million voters are expected to head to the polls Sunday to elect their next president and parliament. The elections are meant to restore democratic rule, a year after former president Blaise Compaoré was forced out after 27 years in power and a failed coup two months ago threatened to derail the transition process.
- Burkinabes vote to choose president in key election Press TV 29 Nov 2015 -- Voters in Burkina Faso are heading to the polls to elect a new president and parliament after a year of political turmoil.
- Burkina Faso: with elections under way, Ban calls on all parties to ensure peaceful polls UN News 29 Nov 2015 -- With presidential and legislative elections under way in Burkina Faso, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today called on all national stakeholders to uphold their commitments throughout the process and urged them to ensure the polls are conducted peacefully.
- Islamic Revolution Supreme Leader's new message to western youth ISNA 29 Nov 2015 -- Islamic Revolution Supreme Leader Sayyid Ali Khamenei in a message to the world youth said that the bitter events brought about by blind terrorism in France have once again, moved me to speak to you young people.
- Claims about past Iranian nuclear activities void of credibility: Zarif Press TV 29 Nov 2015 -- Iran has once again rejected claims about its past nuclear activities, saying its cooperation with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has helped resolve all outstanding issues.
- AEOI: Nuclear program to proceed vigorously IRNA 29 Nov 2015 -- Deputy Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI), Asghar Zarean, said on Sunday that Iran's peaceful nuclear program has not stopped, rather will continue more strongly in light of the international technical cooperation.
- Putin approves economic sanctions against Turkey after downing of fighter jet People's Daily 29 Nov 2015 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin on Saturday signed a decree imposing economic sanctions against Turkey after Turkey shot down a Russian warplane near the Syrian-Turkish border Tuesday.
- DRC President Outlines Vision for National Political Dialogue VOA 29 Nov 2015 -- The Democratic Republic of Congo's president, Joseph Kabila, says the country will hold what he calls a national and inclusive political dialogue. The agenda appears to be focused on elections, and some observers believe the president has his own future in mind.
- Turkey, EU Agree On A Deal To Stem Migrant Crisis RFE/RL 29 Nov 2015 -- Turkey and the European Union have agreed on a deal to stem the flow of migrants towards Europe.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|