17 October 2015 Military News
- Coalition Airstrikes Hit ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 17 Oct 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- US Helps Cameroon in Fight Against Boko Haram VOA 17 Oct 2015 -- The United States has sent military equipment and a small contingent of troops to Cameroon to fight Boko Haram terrorism. General David Rodriguez, commander of the U.S. Africa Command, AFRICOM, said about 90 of the 300 promised U.S. troops were already on their way to Cameroon.
- Ex-Afghan President Karzai opposes longer US presence in Afghanistan Press TV 17 Oct 2015 -- Former Afghan President Hamid Karzai has expressed his strong opposition to the planned presence of thousands of US troops in Afghanistan past 2016, Press TV reports.
- Afghan forces thwart Taliban attack in Laghman: Ministry Press TV 17 Oct 2015 -- Security forces in Afghanistan have foiled an assault by Taliban militants to capture a district in the country's eastern province of Laghman, the Defense Ministry says.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Dunford Arrives in Jerusalem for Talks With Israeli Officials AFPS 17 Oct 2015 -- In his first trip overseas as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Marine Corps Gen. Joseph F. Dunford Jr. will meet with Israeli leaders here.
- Eielson engine shop ensures routine care, maintenance for F-16s AFNS 17 Oct 2015 -- Automobile owners must take their vehicles in for maintenance every couple thousand miles, and for the long-term owners, some engines may require an overhaul from a licensed mechanic.
- Trilateral Air Defense Exercise Launches Malabar 2015 NNS 17 Oct 2015 -- Naval forces and liaisons from India, Japan and United States begin Exercise Malabar 2015, Oct. 16, through air defense collaboration.
- Russian Military Base 'to Give Syrians Sense of Security'- Latakia Governor Sputnik 17 Oct 2015 -- The governor of Latakia, Ibrahim Salim, said that the government of his province welcomes the establishment of the Russian military base. Earlier, there were reports about the possible establishment of a Russian military base in Syria.
- China Proposes Joint Exercise in South China Sea with ASEAN Countries People's Daily 17 Oct 2015 -- Defense chiefs from China and ASEAN countries have sat down for an informal meeting in Beijing to discuss security cooperation.
- China upholds peaceful negotiation in disputes handling: military official People's Daily 17 Oct 2015 -- China always insists on resolving divergence and disputes through friendly negotiations with parties directly concerned and will try utmost to avoid unexpected conflicts, a senior Chinese military official said Saturday.
- Chinese Bomber Can Now Launch Long-Range Strikes Sputnik 17 Oct 2015 -- The People's Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) has revealed its long-range precision strike capabilities. Beijing's H-6K bomber can strike distant targets with precise ammunition, according to Chinese media.
- U.S. Readies Response To Iran's 'Clear Violation' Of UN Missile Sanctions RFE/RL 17 Oct 2015 -- The United States has vowed to raise before the United Nations Security Council Iran's 'clear violation' of a ban on testing ballistic missiles that can carry nuclear weapons.
- Iran missile tests no violation of JCPOA: Top diplomat ISNA 17 Oct 2015 -- A senior Iranian diplomat says the Islamic Republic's missile tests are not considered a breach of the recent nuclear agreement struck between Tehran and six world powers.
- Iran: Missile Test Not in Violation of UN Resolution VOA 17 Oct 2015 -- Iran has rejected allegations that its recent long-range missile test violates the United Nations Security Council resolutions.
- Turkey to target any violator of airspace, says Premier Davutoglu Press TV 17 Oct 2015 -- Turkey's Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu says Ankara will shoot down any military aircraft that violates the Turkish airspace.
- Russia to Hold Talks With Egypt on Sales of Equipment for Mistrals Sputnik 17 Oct 2015 -- Russia to hold talks with Egypt on the possible purchase by Cairo of the Russian equipment for the Mistral helicopter carriers.
- 30 pro-Saudi militants killed in Riyadh attacks in Yemen Press TV 17 Oct 2015 -- Saudi Arabian fighter jets have mistakenly targeted a camp of pro-Riyadh militants in southern Yemen, killing at least 30 and injuring dozens more.
- Syrian Opposition Base Struck by Unknown Planes - Russian Defense Ministry Sputnik 17 Oct 2015 -- Ruins of commercial structures, apparently destroyed by airstrikes have been found on the Syrian-Jordanian border where neither Russian nor Syrian aircraft have ever operated, a senior Defense Ministry official said on Friday.
- Syrian president nearing final victory: Leader's aide Press TV 17 Oct 2015 -- A senior Iranian official has praised Syrian President Bashar al-Assad as 'a symbol of resistance' against foreign powers, saying he is nearing the final victory.
- Russia destroys major foreign-run terrorist training base in Syria Press TV 17 Oct 2015 -- Russian fighter jets operating in the Syrian skies have successfully targeted a major foreign-run military base in the northwest of the Arab country where elements of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group were training militants for terror attacks.
- 'US, Russia reached deal to avoid clashes in Syria airspace' Press TV 17 Oct 2015 -- The United States and Russia have reached an agreement on aerial operations in Syria in an effort to avoid inadvertent midair confrontation in the country's airspace, as significant issues still remain unresolved.
- Syria troops retake key hilltops on Damascus outskirts Press TV 17 Oct 2015 -- Syrian forces have managed to purge strategic hilltops on the northeastern outskirts of the capital, Damascus, of Takfiri militants as part of ground anti-terror operations under Russian air support.
- Medvedev: Russia's Military Operation Aimed at Defeating ISIS VOA 17 Oct 2015 -- Russia's prime minister said Saturday that Russia's military aim in Syria is to defend its national interests and defeat the Islamic State and not to keep President Bashar al-Assad in power.
- 'Over 3.2 million displaced in Iraq since 2014: UN Press TV 17 Oct 2015 -- A United Nations (UN) agency has announced that over 3.2 people have so far been displaced in Iraq since the start of 2014.
- Iraqi Forces Retake Control Of Key Refinery In Baiji From IS RFE/RL 17 Oct 2015 -- Iraqi government troops backed by Shi'ite militia have driven out Islamic State (IS) militants from a key oil refinery north of Baghdad in a wide-scale military operation, authorities say.
- Russian forces kill four militants in Dagestan Press TV 17 Oct 2015 -- Russia's National Anti-terrorism Committee says security forces have killed at least four militants during clashes in the Republic of Dagestan.
- 4 Palestinians Dead in Latest Mideast Violence VOA 17 Oct 2015 -- Violence between Palestinian teenagers and Israeli police surged Saturday in the occupied West Bank town of Hebron and in Jerusalem, with police reporting at least four knife-wielding Palestinians, including a 16-year-old girl, killed in separate incidents. A fifth Palestinian was shot after a third stabbing attack in Hebron but authorities did not say whether he was killed. Authorities said several Israeli security personnel were wounded in the attacks.
- Libya: Security Council urges parties to endorse and sign political agreement UN News 17 Oct 2015 -- Recalling their statement last week which commended Libyan dialogue participants on finalizing a political agreement for the creation of a Government of National Accord, members of the UN Security Council today urged all Libyan parties to endorse and sign it.
- Boko Haram: A Growing Threat in West Africa VOA 17 Oct 2015 -- Eighteen months ago the world awoke to the kind of news that gives every parent nightmares: almost 300 young girls had been kidnapped from a school in the town of Chibok in Borno State, Nigeria.
- Salehi upbeat about future of JCPOA IRNA 17 Oct 2015 -- Head of the Atomic Energy Agency of Iran (AEOI) Ali-Akbar Salehi on Saturday gave upbeat report about the future of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action struck between Iran and the six world powers on July 14.
- JCPOA not binding, two parties take it voluntarily, Guardian Council IRNA 17 Oct 2015 -- The Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action is not regarded as a binding, the two parties will implement it voluntarily, says the Guardian Council speaker.
- EU to announce end of Iran sanctions Sunday ISNA 17 Oct 2015 -- The EU will announce Sunday the formal end to economic sanctions imposed on Iran over its nuclear program, Western diplomatic sources said.
- Full text of Iran deputy UN envoy speech in UNSC ISNA 17 Oct 2015 -- The full text of Iran's deputy ambassador to the United Nations (UN) Gholam-Hossein Dehqani's speech in a UN Security Council (UNSC) meeting comes as follows.
- Behind in Polls, Taiwan's Pro-China Party Switches Presidential Candidates VOA 17 Oct 2015 -- Taiwan's ruling Nationalist Party picked a new presidential candidate Saturday in an effort to improve its standing in the polls. The party that advocates strong ties with Taiwan's old rival China is lagging just three months before the election. Its new nominee is given a strong chance of narrowing that gap. Ralph Jennings has the story from Taipei.
- Mexican Drug Trafficker Continues to Elude Capture VOA 17 Oct 2015 -- Mexican officials say fugitive drug trafficker Joaquin 'El Chapo' Guzman continues to elude capture, but they think he injured his face and leg as the manhunt closed in on him.
- FBI Probing Dow Jones Hacking by Russians VOA 17 Oct 2015 -- U.S. authorities are reported to be investigating whether Russian hackers have infiltrated the Dow Jones financial news company to steal market-moving information prior to publication.
- Russia's Proton Rocket Puts Turkish Telecoms Satellite Into Orbit Sputnik 17 Oct 2015 -- The Turkish satellite will beam television and Internet services across Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|