30 pro-Saudi militants killed in Riyadh attacks in Yemen
Iran Press TV
Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:56PM
Saudi Arabian fighter jets have mistakenly targeted a camp of pro-Riyadh militants in southern Yemen, killing at least 30 and injuring dozens more.
Sources close to Yemen's ousted government said Saturday that the militants had just wrested an encampment in the southern Ta'izz Province from fighters of the ruling Houthi Ansarullah movement when Saudi airstrikes hit them.
Another 40 people were also wounded in the strike on Waziya, a district located between Ta'izz and Lahj provinces, which has seen fierce clashes between Houthis and pro-Riyadh militants since late September.
"They thought the Houthis were still there," the unidentified source said, blaming the deadly friendly fire on slow communication between the militants and military leadership in Riyadh.
According to recent reports, Ansarullah has dispatched massive reinforcements to Waziya to block the advance of militants loyal to Saudi Arabia and allies.
Meanwhile, Saudi warplanes launched an attack in the Jawf region in northern Yemen, killing at least 13 people.
Earlier in the day, a Saudi airstrike killed a family of ten in Moze'e district in Ta'izz. Saudi aircraft also hit Jabal al-Naqam neighborhood in the capital on Friday, killing five people, including two women and a child.
Yemen has been under military strikes by Saudi Arabia on a daily basis since March 26. The strikes are supposedly meant to undermine the Houthi Ansarullah movement and restore power to fugitive President Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi, a staunch ally of Riyadh.
According to latest reports, nearly 7,000 people have reportedly lost their lives in the Saudi strikes, and at least 14,000 people have been injured.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|