16 September 2015 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 16 Sep 2015 [PDF]
- Senate Investigates False Intel Reports on US Success in Anti-ISIL Fight Sputnik 16 Sep 2015 -- Last week, 50 intelligence analysts came forward accusing top officials within the US Department of Defense of misrepresenting their intelligence reports on the seriousness of the threat posed by ISIL and al-Qaeda's Syrian offshoot, Al Nusra.
- Australian fighter jets bomb purported Daesh positions in eastern Syria Press TV 16 Sep 2015 -- Australian fighter jets have carried out their first airstrike against the positions of the Daesh extremist group inside Syria as part of the so-called US-led campaign against the Takfiri terrorists.
- France says to strike alleged Daesh positions in Syria Press TV 16 Sep 2015 -- France's defense minister says the country is to start carrying out aerial attacks against what he called Daesh targets in Syria.
- US General Nixes Idea of Buffer Zones in Syria for Refugees VOA 16 Sep 2015 -- A top-ranking U.S. general says he would not recommend buffer and no-fly zones in Syria where people fleeing their homes can be protected from air attacks by Syrian government forces.
Defense Policy / Programs
- SECNAV Names the Next Joint High Speed Vessel NNS 16 Sep 2015 -- Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus announced the next joint high speed vessel will be named USNS City of Bismarck (JHSV 9) during a ceremony at the North Dakota Heritage Center in Bismarck today.
- Secretary of the Navy Names Littoral Combat Ship DoD 16 Sep 2015 -- Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus announced today that the next Independence-variant Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) will be named USS Tulsa (LCS 16).
- Exercise Kowari 2015 concludes in Darwin, Australia USMC News 16 Sep 2015 -- The trilateral survival training exercise Kowari 2015, hosted by the Australian Defence Force and involving U.S. Marine Corps and Army, Australian Army and People's Liberation Army personnel formally concluded at a graduation and closing ceremony Sept. 12 at Larrakeyah Barracks, the Northern Territory, Australia.
- Partnership in action: U.S. Marines, Senegalese military sharpen infantry skills USMC News 16 Sep 2015 -- U.S. Marines and Senegalese military members spent a week sharpening their infantry skills in Toubacouta, Senegal, Aug. 31-Sept. 4, 2015.
- Rushmore Arrives in Bahrain NNS 16 Sep 2015 -- The amphibious dock landing ship USS Rushmore (LSD 47), along with the embarked 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), arrived at port Mina Salman for a scheduled port visit Sept. 14.
- Impasse Over U.S.-Russia Nuclear Treaty Hardens As Washington Threatens 'Countermeasures' RFE/RL 16 Sep 2015 -- Russia risks provoking 'military and economic countermeasures' if it continues to stonewall over a U.S. accusation that it violated a bedrock of nuclear arms control, the United States' lead arms-control negotiator says.
- Russia, Brazil Sign Contract for Glonass Ground Measuring Station Sputnik 16 Sep 2015 -- Moscow and Brasilia have signed a contract on the placement and operation of a measuring ground station for the Russian Glonass satellite navigation network in Brazil's southernmost state of Rio Grande do Sul.
- China sends peacekeeping police to Liberia People's Daily 16 Sep 2015 -- China's 14th contingent of police officers will be dispatched early Thursday morning for a United Nations (UN) peacekeeping mission in Liberia, according to the Ministry of Public Security on Wednesday.
- UK Ready to Sign $463Mln Deal on Purchase of Missiles for Typhoon Fighters Sputnik 16 Sep 2015 -- The United Kingdom is to sign a 300-million-pound ($463 million) contract with the European arms company MBDA for the purchase of missiles for its Typhoon fighter jets, the UK Defense Ministry announced Wednesday.
- Royal Navy warship offered to Mediterranean anti-smuggling mission UK MOD 16 Sep 2015 -- HMS Richmond has been offered to boost the EU mission to tackle people smuggling in the Mediterranean, the Defence Secretary has announced.
- MOD to upgrade air-to-air missile UK MOD 16 Sep 2015 -- The Ministry of Defence has awarded a £300m contract to sustain a key air-to-air missile used by RAF Typhoon jets, supporting over 400 jobs across the UK.
- MOD unveils futuristic uniform design UK MOD 16 Sep 2015 -- Sensor-laden body armour, a smart watch that monitors life signs and smart glasses with integrated cameras are all part of a futuristic design for military uniforms, unveiled today.
- North Korea's Hint of Nuclear Test Sounds Familiar VOA 16 Sep 2015 -- North Korea's recent pronouncements touting advances in its long-range rocket program and restarting its nuclear reactor appear to fit Pyongyang's established pattern for pressuring the United States and its allies for aid and assistance.
- Major General Soleimani defends IRGC invaluable role IRNA 16 Sep 2015 -- Commander of Quds Forces of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC), Major General Qassem Soleimani said on Wednesday that the IRGC played an undeniable and valuable role in preservation of the Islamic spirit of the Islamic Republic.
- Supreme Leader acknowledges constitutional duty of IRGC armed forces IRNA 16 Sep 2015 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei on Wednesday acknowledged the Constitutional duty of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps as the armed forces and blessing of the Islamic Revolution.
- Leader urges efforts to up Iran's passive defense capability ISNA 16 Sep 2015 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei underlined the need to enhance Iran's passive defense mechanism to boost the nation's defense capability.
- IRGC owns unique ballistic missile, says Cmdr. ISNA 16 Sep 2015 -- The Second-in-command of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Brigadier General Hossein Salami said the IRGC holds a unique ballistic missile.
- Almost impossible to counter Iran's unique missile: IRGC commander Press TV 16 Sep 2015 -- A senior Iranian commander has revealed that the country is in possession of a 'unique' missile that is all but impossible to defend against.
- Tokyo protests against airspace violation by 'Russian' jet Press TV 16 Sep 2015 -- Japan has lodged a protest against Russia after Tokyo dispatched four warplanes to intercept an intruding airplane -- believed to be Russian -- which violated the Southeast Asian country's airspace for a short time.
- Tajikistan Confirms Death Of Mutinous Former Deputy Defense Minister RFE/RL 16 Sep 2015 -- Tajikistan's Interior Ministry has confirmed that mutinous former Deputy Defense Minister Abduhalim Nazarzoda has been killed along with 10 of his supporters during a battle in the Romit Gorge area to the east of Dushanbe.?
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 9/16/2015 The White House 16 Sep 2015
- September 16, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 16 Sep 2015
- China Rightful Owner of South China Sea Since Han Dynasty – Admiral Sputnik 16 Sep 2015 -- During his speech at a naval conference in London, a Chinese admiral said that the South China Sea belongs to China.
- Unexpected humanitarians – the rise and potential fall of Syria's diaspora aid IRIN 16 Sep 2015 -- Just a few years ago, Hussein knew little about humanitarian aid. A mild-mannered Syrian car salesman in Doha, he lived a simple life between home and the office. Aside from the odd gift or remittances, he had never sent goods back to Syria.
- Syria army, Hezbollah fighters liberate more blocks in Zabadani Press TV 16 Sep 2015 -- The Syrian army, backed by fighters from the Lebanese resistance movement Hezbollah, has liberated more areas in the flashpoint border town of Zabadani.
- Over 170 Russians fighting for Daesh killed in Syria: CIS Press TV 16 Sep 2015 -- The Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS), an organization of former Soviet Republics, says more than 170 Russian nationals have been killed while fighting on the side of the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group in Syria.
- US to Russia: Assad must step down to allow political settlement Press TV 16 Sep 2015 -- The United States tells Russia that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad must step down to allow a political settlement, as Moscow continues to support Damascus.
- U.S. Warns Russia Assad Has No Role In Fighting Islamic State RFE/RL 16 Sep 2015 -- Washington warned Russia that Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad has no role in the fight against the Islamic State after the Kremlin launched a new drive to rehabilitate the embattled Syrian leader.
- Russia Proposes Military-to-Military Talks With US on Syria - Kerry Sputnik 16 Sep 2015 -- US Secretary of State John Kerry said Wednesday that Russia had proposed military-to-military contacts with the United States on the situation in Syria.
- US Army Chief 'Would Not Recommend' No-Fly, Buffer Zone in Syria Sputnik 16 Sep 2015 -- US Central Command head Lloyd Austin said on Wednesday he would not recommend setting up either a no-fly or buffer zone in Syria to protect civilians amid the civil war in the country.
- Bashar Assad: 'The West Wants to Get Rid of Me and Putin' Sputnik 16 Sep 2015 -- The West is trying to portray Vladimir Putin as an enemy and dictator who cracks down on domestic opposition, Syrian President Bashar Assad said in an interview on Tuesday.
- ISIL Gaining Ground, Assad Still Standing: France Justifies Syrian Strikes Sputnik 16 Sep 2015 -- France is the latest country to join the US-led coalition's bombing campaign of ISIL targets in Syria, with officials saying that the only way to solve the region's refugee crisis was by toppling the jihadist group along with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
- Assad Rules Out Dialogue Between Syria, Terrorist Groups Sputnik 16 Sep 2015 -- There can be no dialogue between the Syrian government and terrorist groups like ISIL and the Nusra Front, they have to be eradicated, Syrian President Bashar Assad said.
- UN official urges Security Council to find political solution to end nightmare for Syrian people UN News 16 Sep 2015 -- The United Nations humanitarian chief today urged the Security Council to find a political solution to end the conflict in Syria, warning its members that the fighting had created one of the largest refugee exoduses since the Second World War.
- Assad Blames Western Support of 'Terrorists' for Migrant Crisis VOA 16 Sep 2015 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad blamed Western nations for the surge of refugees who have left his country and made their way to Europe, saying the West has supported 'terrorism' since the beginning of the Syrian crisis.
- The tragedy of Iraq's Sunnis IRIN 16 Sep 2015 -- Iraq is congested with armed men: Kurdish peshmerga in the north; forlorn Iraqi army troops strung across the country; ascendant Shia militia groups and volunteer Popular Mobilisation Forces in the centre; and, of course, fighters from so-called Islamic State in the west.
- Sri Lankans disabled by war, forgotten in peace IRIN 16 Sep 2015 -- Sri Lanka's decades-long civil war ended six years ago, but it's not over for many victims who suffered permanent injuries during the conflict.
- UN urges creation of special court in Sri Lanka after new report confirms 'horrific' abuses UN News 16 Sep 2015 -- A new report released today by the United Nations human rights office has identified patterns of grave violations in Sri Lanka between 2002 and 2011, and recommends the establishment of a hybrid special court to ensure that justice is served.
- Voicing outrage, Ban calls for immediate release of detained leaders of Burkina Faso UN News 16 Sep 2015 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon voiced his outrage at reports that President Michel Kafando of Burkina Faso, Prime Minister Yacouba Isaac Zida and several Government ministers have been detained by soldiers from the presidential guard.
- Soldiers Detain Burkina Faso Interim President and PM VOA 16 Sep 2015 -- Soldiers from Burkina Faso's presidential guard detained the country's interim prime minister and president Wednesday and were said to be holding them hostage.
- Europe must change course on refugee crisis response, stresses UN agency UN News 16 Sep 2015 -- Only a united European emergency response can address the current refugee and migration crisis, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) stressed today.
- Migrants Head To Croatia As Clashes Erupt On Hungary's Border RFE/RL 16 Sep 2015 -- Hundreds of migrants seeking to enter the European Union have begun streaming into Croatia from Serbia after Hungary locked down its border.
- Iran to continue nuclear research, development, says Rouhani IRNA 16 Sep 2015 -- On the first day of the implementation of the nuclear deal, Iran will perform the injection of uranium hexafluoride (UF6) into newly generated IR8 centrifuges, says President Hassan Rouhani.
- President says employing new generation of centrifuges is his administration achievement IRNA 16 Sep 2015 -- President Hassan Rouhani said here on Wednesday that employing IR-8, the latest generation of centrifuges, is one of the achievements of his administration.
- Iran's Arak Heavy Water Reactor to be upgraded by two P5+1 states, says Rouhani ISNA 16 Sep 2015 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said Arak Heavy Water Reactor would be upgraded jointly with two P5+1 states.
- Russia prepared to upgrade Iran centrifuges: Iran nuclear chief Press TV 16 Sep 2015 -- The head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) says Russia has expressed its readiness to upgrade the centrifuge machines currently operating in the Islamic Republic.
- JCPOA paves way for nuclear research, development: Rouhani Press TV 16 Sep 2015 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani says the recent nuclear agreement between Iran and the P5+1 countries paves the way for the acceleration of research and development in the country's peaceful nuclear program.
- Ukraine Seeks To Blunt Russia's UN Veto Power RFE/RL 16 Sep 2015 -- Ukraine has stepped up its effort to restrict Russia's use of its veto in the UN Security Council, which Kyiv says has enabled the Kremlin to block international action to punish Moscow for 'aggression.'
- Ukrainian Anti-Russia Sanctions Target 400 Individuals, 90 Entities Sputnik 16 Sep 2015 -- President Poroshenko said Wednesday that Ukraine had put over 400 individuals and 90 entities on Russia-related 'black list.'
- Aliyev Goes On The Attack Against EU Values RFE/RL 16 Sep 2015 -- Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev has thrown down the gauntlet in the face of criticism from the European Union, accusing the bloc of being 'anti-Azerbaijani' and mocking European values amid the ongoing refugee crisis.
- Donald Trump pledges massive military buildup, offers no details Press TV 16 Sep 2015 -- Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump has promised a massive military buildup but provided no specific details.
- Cyber Sanctions Against China Looking Less Likely VOA 16 Sep 2015 -- The Obama administration reportedly is backing away from earlier plans to impose economic sanctions against China for the cyber-theft of sensitive data from U.S. government and corporate computers.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|