15 April 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 15 Apr 2015 [PDF]
- Coalition Continues Airstrikes Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 15 Apr 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Update: air strikes in Iraq UK MOD 15 Apr 2015 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations to assist the Iraqi government in its fight against ISIL.
Defense Policy / Programs
- F-35 Program 'On Right Track,' Director Says AFPS 15 Apr 2015 -- Despite its numerous setbacks, the F-35 Lightning II joint strike fighter program is on the right track to meet aircraft delivery deadlines, the program's executive officer told a House Armed Services Committee panel yesterday.
- DoD 15 Apr 2015 -- The Department of Defense and Republic of Korea (ROK) Ministry of National Defense held the 7th Korea-U.S. Integrated Defense Dialogue (KIDD) on April 14-15 in Washington, District of Columbia.
- AFMC activates 1st AFIMSC detachment in Pacific AFNS 15 Apr 2015 -- Air Force Materiel Command activated the Air Force Installation and Mission Support Center Detachment 2 in a ceremony here April 9.
- Better Buying Power 3.0 Stresses InnoThe 7th Korea-U.S. Integrated Defense Dialogue (KIDD), Washington, D.C.vation, Affordability AFPS 15 Apr 2015 -- The latest update of the Defense Department's acquisition efficiency initiative stresses innovation and cost-consciousness, the Pentagon's top acquisition official said here yesterday.
- VMX-22 tests new software in New Mexico USMC News 15 Apr 2015 -- Marines with Marine Operational Test and Evaluation Squadron 22 tested new software for the MV-22B Osprey in Albuquerque, N.M., April 2, using the difference in terrain to their advantage.
- Marines arrive Down Under to train with Australian counterparts USMC News 15 Apr 2015 -- Marines with 1st Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment, stationed out of Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, California, arrived April 12 at the Royal Australian Air Force Base Darwin, Darwin Australia. The Marines arrived to begin the fourth evolution of Marine Rotational Force - Darwin 2015.
- USS Fort Worth (LCS 3) Returns to Singapore NNS 15 Apr 2015 -- The littoral combat ship USS Fort Worth (LCS 3) returned to Singapore April 15 after a two-month stint operating in Northeast Asia and Southeast Asia.
- Submarine Group 7 Participates in SMASHEX NNS 15 Apr 2015 -- Sailors attached to Submarine Group 7 and the Indonesian navy (TNI-AL) participated in training for Simulated Submarine Casualty Exercise (SMASHEX) in Surabaya, Indonesia, April 13.
- 45th Space Wing supports 6th SpaceX re-supply mission AFNS 15 Apr 2015 -- The 45th Space Wing supported Space Exploration Technologies' (SpaceX) successful launch of their Falcon 9 Dragon spacecraft headed to the International Space Station from Space Launch Complex 40, here April 14.
- US Court Closes a Chapter of America's War in Iraq VOA 15 Apr 2015 -- It was a powerful message sent by a U.S. court: Contractors working for the U.S. government will be held accountable for any misconduct, even in the violent chaos of war.
- NATO Secretary General welcomes Montenegro's progress on its Euro-Atlantic path NATO 15 Apr 2015 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg welcomed Montenegro's substantial reforms on Wednesday (15 April 2015), saying they represented "real progress towards membership in NATO."
- Russia Developing Self-Propelled Anti-Aircraft System for Arctic Sputnik 15 Apr 2015 -- Russia's KBP Instrument Design Bureau is considering developing a special tracked version of its Pantsir (SA-22 Greyhound) self-propelled anti-aircraft gun and missile system for use in the Arctic.
- Lowdown on the New Army Tech to Be Unveiled on V-Day (MASSIVE SPOILERS) Sputnik 15 Apr 2015 -- In less than a month, Moscow is set to hold a massive military parade in honor of the 70th Anniversary of Victory in the Great Patriotic War. For a variety of reasons, the parade is shaping up to be the grandest in recent memory, and certainly the greatest in Russia's post-Soviet history. A great deal of diplomatic, military and historical street cred is certainly riding on the event.
- Black Sea Fleet's new ships may be based in Crimea or Novorossiisk TASS 15 Apr 2015 -- Newly-built ships of the Black Sea Fleet may be based either in Crimea or Novorossiisk, the chairman of the State Duma's defense committee, Vladimir Komoyedov, said on Wednesday.
- Share of new equipment in Russia's electronic warfare troops to reach 70% by 2020 TASS 15 Apr 2015 -- The share of modern technological equipment in the Russia's electronic warfare (EW) troops will reach about 70% by 2020, and this year the troops will receive about 300 newest samples, the Defense Ministry's press service told TASS on Wednesday - Russian army's EW Expert Day.
- Russia's new RS-26 missile to enter batch production in 2015-early 2016 - source TASS 15 Apr 2015 -- Serial production of Russia's new RS-26 intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), after the successful final test launch in mid-March, will start in late 2015 or early 2016, a source in the military-industrial complex told TASS on Wednesday.
- Russian bombers were escorted by British fighter jets, not intercepted - Defense Ministry TASS 15 Apr 2015 -- Russian aircraft conducted scheduled flights near Britain and did not violate the country's airspace, Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov said Tuesday.
- Russia-Greece defense cooperation to be continued - Greek defense minister TASS 15 Apr 2015 -- The existing programs of Russian-Greek defense cooperation will be maintained, Greek Defense Minister Panos Kammenos told reporters on Wednesday.
- Iranian Army's Ground Forces unveil new military equipment Press TV 15 Apr 2015 -- The Iranian Army has unveiled new domestically-manufactured military equipment ahead of National Army Day.
- Iran unveils new defense achievements ISNA 15 Apr 2015 -- Iranian Ground Force unveiled new defense achievements in a ceremony attended by Commander of the forces Brigadier General Ahmad-Reza Pourdastan on Wednesday.
- Moscow Says Lifting Ban on S-300 Delivery to Iran Technical Issue Sputnik 15 Apr 2015 -- Lifting the embargo on delivering S-300 surface-to-air missile systems to Iran is an issue of legal regulations, the spokesperson for Russian President Vladimir Putin said Wednesday.
- Moscow dismisses Germany's criticism of S-300 air defense system deal with Iran TASS 15 Apr 2015 -- Russia dismisses criticism of its decision to go ahead with the supplies of air defense systems S-300 to Iran, a source at the Russian Foreign Ministry said in the wake of a recent statement by German Chancellor Angela Merkel, who criticized Russia for the intention to sell S-300 to Iran and called for 'canceling sanctions together.'
- S-300 missiles to be delivered to Iran this year: Minister IRNA 15 Apr 2015 -- Minister of Defense Hossein Dehqan said Iran will receive S-300 anti-air missiles in the current year.
- Iran to receive S-300 missile systems this year ISNA 15 Apr 2015 -- Iranian Minister of Defense Brigadier General Hossein Dehghan said Iran would receive S-300 missile system this year.
- China's YJ-18 Missiles a 'Major Threat' to US Navy Sputnik 15 Apr 2015 -- A recent report from the Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI) has confirmed the Chinese government's own claims that 'the newest class, the LUYANG III, destroyer is fitted with the new vertically-launched YJ-18 ASCM [anti-ship cruise missile].'
- Japan's jets flew 474 sorties over past year to simulate interception of Russian planes TASS 15 Apr 2015 -- Japanese self-defense force fighter planes were ordered into the air 474 times for simulated interception of Russian planes during the period from April 1, 2014 to March 31, 2015, the Japanese Defense Ministry said.
- Pakistan test-fires nuclear-capable ballistic missile Press TV 15 Apr 2015 -- Pakistan says its army has successfully test-fired a missile capable of carrying nuclear warheads with a range of more than a thousand kilometers.
- April 15, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 15 Apr 2015
- Gaggle with Principal Deputy Press Secretary Eric Schultz en route Charlotte, NC, 4/15/2015 The White House 15 Apr 2015
- 15 April 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 15 Apr 2015
- Yemen Crisis Bares Rifts Among Muslim-majority Countries VOA 15 Apr 2015 -- The crisis in Yemen began as an internal battle between the Arabian Peninsula country's government and its disillusioned opponents. It looked like a repeat of civil uprisings in Egypt, Libya and Syria. But when reports surfaced that Iran is backing the Houthi rebels, the conflict started to transcend Yemen's borders.
- Millions of Yemenis face food insecurity amid escalating conflict, UN agency warns UN News 15 Apr 2015 -- Nearly 11 million people in Yemen are severely food insecure and millions more are at risk of being unable to meet their basic food needs, the United Nations Food and Agriculture Agency (FAO) said today, calling for $8 million in funding to support farmers amidst the escalating conflict.
- Iran: Military fails to resolve Yemeni crisis ISNA 15 Apr 2015 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Marziyeh Afkham said the crisis in Yemen cannot be settled militarily.
- Saudi raids hit south Yemen as violence claims 23 lives Press TV 15 Apr 2015 -- At least 23 people have been killed in a fresh wave of violence in southern Yemen as Saudi fighter jets continue to target civilians in the port city of Aden.
- World must do more to help support Syrian refugees in Lebanon, says UN refugee chief UN News 15 Apr 2015 -- The United Nations refugee chief called today on the international community to step-up its efforts to ease the plight of Syrian refugees who continue to live in harsh conditions in informal settlements in southern Lebanon.
- Islamic Militants Use Children as Soldiers VOA 15 Apr 2015 -- At least 400 Syrian children have been recruited by the jihadist Islamic State since the start of the year in an enlistment drive partly designed to make up for a shortfall in foreign fighters traveling to join the extremist group, say local political activists.
- Iraqi official warns of fall of Ramadi as ISIL closes in on city Press TV 15 Apr 2015 -- Iraq's key city of Ramadi has come under fierce attacks from the ISIL terror group and could fall into the hands of terrorists any time, a provincial official has warned.
- IS Militants Launch Counteroffensive, Capture Villages Near Ramadi RFE/RL 15 Apr 2015 -- Residents in Iraq's western province of Anbar say Islamic State (IS) militants launched a fierce counteroffensive near the city of Ramadi at dawn on April 15, capturing three villages from government forces.
- Libyan parties open new round of UN-backed political talks aimed at restoring 'stability and prosperity' UN News 15 Apr 2015 -- A new round of political dialogue on Libya, hosted by Morocco and facilitated by the United Nations Support Mission (UNSMIL) in the country began in Skhirat, Morocco, today, aiming to end the crisis in the country.
- Libya: Security Council condemns terrorist attacks on Republic of Korea, Morocco embassies UN News 15 Apr 2015 -- The United Nations Security Council has condemned "in the strongest terms" the recent series of terrorist attacks against the embassies of the Republic of Korea and Morocco in the Libyan capital of Tripoli.
- Palestinians make new advances against ISIL in Yarmouk Press TV 15 Apr 2015 -- Palestinians battling the ISIL Takfiri terrorists have made new advances against the militants in the Palestinian refugee camp of Yarmouk south of the Syrian capital, Damascus.
- UN relief wing says 1.2 million Ukrainians uprooted by conflict, calls for more funding UN News 15 Apr 2015 -- The United Nations humanitarian office has reported that 1.2 million people in Ukraine have now been internally displaced because of conflict in the country.
- G7 Calls on Russia to Stick to Minsk Accords VOA 15 Apr 2015 -- Foreign ministers from the world's seven leading industrialized countries have called on Russia to rein in Ukrainian rebels and abide by two peace accords reached in Minsk designed to end the conflict. The call came in a communiqué at the end of a Group of Seven foreign ministers' meeting in Luebeck, Germany.
- OSCE Says Cease-Fire Violations In Ukraine Increase RFE/RL 15 Apr 2015 -- The OSCE's Special Monitoring Mission (SMM) to Ukraine says it has seen a 'massive' increase in the number of cease-fire violations in eastern Ukraine in recent days.
- ICRC Fears Breakdown of Ukraine Cease-fire VOA 15 Apr 2015 -- The International Committee of the Red Cross says it fears the shaky Ukraine cease-fire deal agreed to in February will breakdown. The ICRC is expressing concern about the recent intensified fighting between Ukrainian and Russian-backed rebels.
- China issues white paper on Tibet, denouncing Dalai Lama's 'middle way' People's Daily 15 Apr 2015 -- The Chinese government on Wednesday issued a white paper on southwest China's Tibet Autonomous Region, lauding its development path and denouncing the 'middle way' advocated by the Dalai Lama.
- 10 Colombian soldiers killed in FARC attack Press TV 15 Apr 2015 -- At least 10 Colombian soldiers have been killed and nearly 20 others injured in an attack on a garrison blamed on rebels of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, also known as FARC.
- Mali: UN mission condemns 'cowardly and heinous' attack on compound UN News 15 Apr 2015 -- The United Nations in Mali condemned today's deadly attack on its Gao area compound that injured nine peacekeepers, killed at least three civilians and injured seven others, calling it a "cowardly and heinous" act.
- Turkey says never possible to recognize 1915 Armenia killings as genocide Press TV 15 Apr 2015 -- Turkey says it will never recognize as genocide the 1915 killing of Armenians as the European Parliament considers whether to pass a resolution on the Ottoman-era massacre.
- US Would 'Welcome' Iran Engagement, Under Certain Circumstances VOA 15 Apr 2015 -- Deputy Secretary of State Antony Blinken says the U.S. would welcome broader engagement with Iran, if an Iran nuclear agreement wound up helping Iran change its approach to the region and to the world.
- Sanctions on Iran need to be lifted after end of N. talks ISNA 15 Apr 2015 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani reiterated that 'cruel sanctions' on Iran need to be lifted after end of the talks between Iran and G5+1.
- No nuclear deal unless sanctions removed: Rouhani Press TV 15 Apr 2015 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says there will be no deal on Iran's nuclear program unless unfair sanctions imposed on the Islamic Republic are lifted simultaneous with the conclusion of a comprehensive agreement between Tehran and the P5+1 group.
- Rogue Iranian Lawmakers Issue Nuclear Deal 'Fact Sheet' RFE/RL 15 Apr 2015 -- Tired of waiting for the Foreign Ministry to shed light on a historic framework nuclear agreement it reached with world powers, a group of Iranian lawmakers has gone rogue and issued a list of recommended changes to the deal.
- Iran's Leader Dismisses US Congressional Role in Nuclear Deal VOA 15 Apr 2015 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says Iran is in talks to reach a final nuclear agreement with six world powers, not with U.S. lawmakers.
- Al-Qaida Says US Drone Killed Top Cleric in Yemen VOA 15 Apr 2015 -- The chaotic situation in Yemen was the focus of a congressional hearing and United Nations Security Council action against the Houthi rebels Tuesday. The attention came as the terrorist group al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula, or AQAP, said its top cleric had been killed in an airstrike.
- Cuba Welcomes Removal From US Terrorism Sponsor List VOA 15 Apr 2015 -- Cuba is praising President Barack Obama's decision to remove the Caribbean island nation from Washington's list of state sponsors of terrorism.
- China Economic Growth Hits 6-Year Low VOA 15 Apr 2015 -- China's economy grew at its slowest pace in six years last quarter, according to data released Wednesday, raising fresh concerns over the condition of the world's second largest economy.
- Russian Federal Space Program Financing to 2025 Set at Around $40 Billion Sputnik 15 Apr 2015 -- Financing for Russia's federal space program through 2025 will be approximately $40 billion, the scientific technical council for Russia's space agency Roscosmos said Wednesday.
- Koreas at Odds Over Kaesong Wage Fees VOA 15 Apr 2015 -- The government in Seoul says North Korea is set to charge South Korean firms a controversial late fee for not paying workers at the Kaesong Industrial Complex a disputed wage increase.
- Obama: Ebola Still a Danger VOA 15 Apr 2015 -- President Barack Obama says there has been "great progress" in the fight against Ebola in West Africa, but warns the international community must stay vigilant until the virus is wiped out.
- UN rights chief urges Burundi's politicians to pick right path at 'critical moment' in country's history UN News 15 Apr 2015 -- The United Nations human rights chief said today that inside and outside Burundi, stakeholders are extremely concerned about tensions rising sharply as a series of pivotal elections set to take place between May and August this year get under way, and, with the country at "a crossroads," Burundian parties must choose the path to democracy and the rule of law.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|