02 March 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 02 Mar 2015 [PDF]
- Coalition Continues Airstrikes Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 02 Mar 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Rogers Discusses Cyber Operations, ISIL, Deterrence AFPS 02 Mar 2015 -- Navy Adm. Michael S. Rogers, commander of U.S. Cyber Command, took questions here recently on many topics -- cyber defense and offense, finding the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant on the dark Web and cyber deterrence -- during a New America Foundation cybersecurity conference.
- US, Japan, Australia team up during air combat training AFNS 02 Mar 2015 -- Pilots from the U.S. Air Force, Japanese Air Self-Defense Force and Royal Australian air force conducted large force employment (LFE) training here Feb. 19-27, as part of exercise Cope North 2015.
- AFSOUTH trains for humanitarian crisis, joint operations AFNS 02 Mar 2015 -- Air Forces Southern joined forces with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U.S. Southern Command and multiple other federal agencies to improve their ability to operate as a team in the event of a mass migration, Feb. 20-27, during exercise Integrated Advance 2015 (IA).
- 21st-century DARPA Tool Could Work Against ISIL AFPS 02 Mar 2015 -- Today's national security landscape challenges the Defense Department with threats ranging from low-tech, lone-wolf terrorists and high-tech peer adversaries to extremist groups that use both approaches, like the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant; the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency prepares for them all.
- U.S. Marines demonstrate capabilities to Malaysian armed forces USMC News 02 Mar 2015 -- Members of the Malaysian armed forces, alongside Malaysian and U.S. government officials, observed a theater security cooperation event with the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit here Feb. 27.
- U.S., Japan Increase Warfighting Capabilities through Fleet Synthetic Training NNS 02 Mar 2015 -- U.S. and Japan forces participated in a four-day Fleet Synthetic Training-Joint (FST-J) exercise, Feb. 23-27.
- Malaysian Armed Forces and Delegates Visit USS Bonhomme Richard NNS 02 Mar 2015 -- Malaysian Armed Forces and delegates from the State of Sabah, Malaysia, visited the forward-deployed amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6) and the embarked 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), Feb. 27.
- Secretary General in Paris to discuss NATO adaptation to security challenges NATO 02 Mar 2015 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg visited Paris to discuss how NATO is adapting to the serious security challenges the Alliance faces both to the east and the south. He thanked France for being 'a strong Ally and the heart of a strong NATO.'
- Canada Sends 125 Soldiers to East Europe for NATO Reassurance Sputnik 02 Mar 2015 -- Canada on Monday will send some 125 Canadian Army soldiers to Eastern and Central Europe to support NATO reassurance measures, a statement on Canadian government's website said.
- Russian Navy to Receive 50 New Vessels Sputnik 02 Mar 2015 -- The Russian Navy will receive 50 vessels of different kinds, Navy Commander Viktor Chirkov reported.
- Russian Forces Carry Out Live Fire Drills With S-400 Sputnik 02 Mar 2015 -- Russian forces from the Eastern Command held live fire exercises with the cutting-edge S-400 Triumph air defense missile system in the Volga region. The S-400 successfully intercepted target missiles, mimicking an incoming enemy launch.
- Russian Air Force to Receive New Aircraft Tanker in 2018 Sputnik 02 Mar 2015 -- The Il-78M-90A tanker is a version of the Il-76MD-90A aircraft. The new aircraft will be the main aerial tanker designed for refueling aircraft of long-range, front-line and special aviation.
- Two Nuclear Submarines to Join Russian Naval Combat Forces in 2015 Sputnik 02 Mar 2015 -- Russia expects eight vessels of the Borei project to enter service by 2020. Each of Borei-class submarines can carry 16 Bulava-30 intercontinental ballistic missiles.
- Russia's Defense Ministry Removes An-70 From National Armament Program Sputnik 02 Mar 2015 -- Russia's Ministry of Defense has removed the Antonov An-70 military transport aircraft, jointly developed by Russia and Ukraine, from its national armament program, the Izvestia newspaper said.
- Submarine Warfare in Arctic: Russia Mastering New Underwater Tactics Sputnik 02 Mar 2015 -- Commanders of Russia's Northern Fleet are mastering new ways of using deadly underwater weapons in the High Arctic, the press service of the Northern Fleet reported.
- Russian Military on Kuril Islands to Get Brand New Laser Ranging Devices Sputnik 02 Mar 2015 -- LPR-3 is designed to determine location of ground targets. These laser ranging devices are also used for shell bursting, range finding and visual reconnaissance.
- US, Germany to Carry Observation Flight Over Russia Sputnik 02 Mar 2015 -- The observation flights will be carried out on March 2-7 on the Boeing OC-135B Open Skies aircraft.
- Poroshenko Increases Force Numbers Amid Shaky Truce in Donbas Sputnik 02 Mar 2015 -- The President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko introduced a bill to the Verkhovna Rada to enlarge the maximum size of the national forces.
- US Plans to Send 300 Military Personnel to Train Ukrainian Soldiers Sputnik 02 Mar 2015 -- The US Army will send some 300 military personnel to Ukraine to conduct a joint training mission with the Ukrainian army at a peacekeeping center near Lviv from March 5 until October 21, according to a logistics contract solicitation posted on the army acquisitions website.
- Russia Slams Finland for Decision to Supply Laser Rangefinders to Kiev Sputnik 02 Mar 2015 -- Finland's decision to supply laser rangefinders to Ukraine may be interpreted as direct support of 'party of war', Russian Foreign Ministry said Friday.
- Nationalist Aidar Unit Reorganized As Assault Battalion of Ukraine's Army Sputnik 02 Mar 2015 -- Ukraine's nationalist Aidar battalion was formally disbanded and reorganized into the 24th Separate Assault Battalion of the Ukrainian Ground Forces.
- Iran to show 'real power' in case of US military move ISNA 02 Mar 2015 -- Deputy Chairman of Iran's Armed Forces Chief of Staff Brigadier General Masoud Jazayeri warned that Iran will show its 'real power' in case of any US military move against the country.
- Iran to firmly respond to potential US threats: Cmdr. Iran Press TV 02 Mar 2015 -- A senior Iranian commander has dismissed as "foolish" the US threat of military action against Iran over its nuclear program, saying the Islamic Republic will firmly respond to any potential threat.
- Iranian Army Expands Drone Fleet Sputnik 02 Mar 2015 -- The Commander of the Air Force's drone squadron reported on Sunday their intentions to increase the amount of home-made drones in the next five years and to start planning missions for long-range drones.
- KPA Will Never Remain Passive Onlooker to Key Resolve and Foal Eagle: Spokesman for General Staff of KPA KCNA 02 Mar 2015 -- A spokesman for the General Staff of the Korean People's Army issued the following statement on Sunday:
- FM Spokesman Denounces U.S.-S. Korea Joint Military Exercises KCNA 02 Mar 2015 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK released the following statement Monday in connection with the fact that the U.S. started with the south Korean puppet forces Key Resolve and Foal Eagle joint military exercises, war exercises for invading the DPRK, despite its repeated warnings:
- N Korea denounces 'provocative' US-S Korea joint military exercises IRNA 02 Mar 2015 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Monday denounced the US-South Korean joint military exdercises code named Key Resolve and Foal Eagle saying they are intended 'for invading the DPRK, despite its repeated warnings'.
- Libya parliament speaker appoints Haftar army chief Iran Press TV 02 Mar 2015 -- The Libyan parliament speaker has appointed retired General Khalifa Haftar as the country's new army chief.
- Remarks at a Press Availability US Dept. of State 02 Mar 2015 -- Remarks by John Kerry, US Secretary of State
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 3/2/15 The White House 02 Mar 2015
- March 2, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 02 Mar 2015
- 2 March 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 02 Mar 2015
- Death toll in eastern Ukraine crosses 6,000, Zeid says, as UN releases new report UNOHCHR 02 Mar 2015 -- The estimated number of people killed in eastern Ukraine since April 2014 has now passed the 6,000* mark, in spite of successive ceasefires, the UN Human Rights Office announced Monday, saying the escalation in fighting in recent weeks, particularly near Donetsk airport and in the Debaltseve area, resulted in hundreds of deaths, both civilian and military, and an untenable situation for those trapped or held hostage in the areas controlled by armed groups.
- UN: Deaths Top 6,000 in E. Ukraine Conflict VOA 02 Mar 2015 -- The United Nations says the number of people killed in eastern Ukraine since fighting broke out in April now tops 6,000. A new report by the U.N. Human Rights Office says fighting between Russian-backed rebels and the Ukrainian government and the ensuing death toll continue to escalate in spite of successive cease-fires.
- Death Toll in Donbas Has Surpassed 6,000 - UN Sputnik 02 Mar 2015 -- UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein said the conflict in Donbas has claimed more than 6,000 lives, commenting on a recent UN report.
- Ukraine death toll hits 6,000 amid ongoing fighting – UN UN News Centre 02 Mar 2015 -- The estimated death toll caused by the continuing fighting in Ukraine has now surpassed the 6,000 mark, the United Nations human rights office confirmed today, amid broader warnings that the country stands on the brink of a "new and very deadly chapter" in its conflict.
- Kerry Deplores Rights Situation in E. Ukraine VOA 02 Mar 2015 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry is urging the United Nations to investigate abuses in Russia-annexed Crimea, as well as in rebel-held parts of eastern Ukraine, where thousands of people have been killed in nearly a year of violence.
- Heavy weapons fully pulled back from Ukraine's Lugansk Iran Press TV 02 Mar 2015 -- Authorities in the self-proclaimed Lugansk People's Republic (LPR) say they have completed the withdrawal of heavy weapons from the frontline in eastern Ukraine in compliance with the Minsk peace deal.
- Kerry Warns Russia's Lavrov On Ukraine Cease-Fire RFE/RL 02 Mar 2015 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry says Russia will inevitably face further economic sanctions if agreements on a cease-fire deal and steps toward peace in eastern Ukraine are not implemented.
- The problem with Iraq's offensive against the Islamic State IRIN 02 Mar 2015 -- As the Iraqi army and affiliated militias sweep into northern Iraq to try to re-take the city of Tikrit from so-called Islamic State (IS), the local civilians are fearful they may be punished for the crimes of the Islamist militants.
- Tikrit Offensive: Where is the US? VOA 02 Mar 2015 -- The Iraqi operation to take back Tikrit from Islamic State militants is the largest-scale offensive Baghdad has launched against the group. Reports from the region say about 30,000 of Iraq's military members and militia fighters are participating.
- Iraqi Army liberates areas in Tikrit, intense fighting continues IRNA 02 Mar 2015 -- Iraqi Army troops have liberated several areas in western and northern parts of the Iraqi city of Tikrit and it continues the fight to recapture the whole region.
- Iraqi Prime Minister Gives IS In Tikrit 'Last Chance' RFE/RL 02 Mar 2015 -- Iraq's prime minister has offered Sunni tribal fighters in Tikrit a 'last chance' to abandon the Islamic State militant group.
- Iraq Launches Tikrit Operation Against Islamic State Militants RFE/RL 02 Mar 2015 -- Iraqi government forces have launched an operation to recapture the city of Tikrit and other areas north of Baghdad from the Islamic State (IS) extremist group.
- Iraqi Forces Attempt to Recapture Tikrit VOA 02 Mar 2015 -- Iraqi troops and militia fighters attacked Islamic State militants in a key area north of Baghdad Monday, the first full day of a highly publicized offensive to recapture the city of Tikrit.
- US-backed militant group dissolves self in Syria Iran Press TV 02 Mar 2015 -- A major Washington-backed militant group operating in Syria has dissolved itself shortly after the United States and Turkey launched a program aimed at training militants to fight Damascus and ISIL militants operating in the country.
- US, Turkey Differ on Aims of Training Syrian Rebels VOA 02 Mar 2015 -- Turkey agreed in mid-February to join the United States in a train-and-equip program for Syrian rebel fighters, but Ankara and Washington have not ironed out their differences over the aims of the program.
- Middle East: UN envoy says resolution of Gaza crisis key to achieving regional peace UN News Centre 02 Mar 2015 -- Peace in the Middle East hinges on resolving the ongoing crisis in Gaza, where reconstruction efforts are faltering and the blockade continues, the United Nations Special Coordinator for the Middle East Process, Robert Serry, said today during his final visit to the war-ravaged enclave.
- South Sudan President in Addis for 'Last-Chance' Peace Talks VOA 02 Mar 2015 -- South Sudanese President Salva Kiir arrived in the Ethiopian capital Monday for talks with rebel leader Riek Machar, just days before a deadline for the two men to reach a final peace deal for their country.
- UN mission welcomes steps taken towards draft agreement on peace, reconciliation in Mali UN News Centre 02 Mar 2015 -- The United Nations Mission in Mali (MINUSMA) congratulated the parties involved in reaching a draft agreement on peace and reconciliation, which was initialled in Algiers on Sunday, according to the UN Secretary-General's spokesperson today in New York.
- With Visit to Aden, US Envoy Supports Yemen's Hadi VOA 02 Mar 2015 -- The United States threw its support behind Yemen's Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi on Monday, with an American envoy referring to the contested president as the country's 'legitimate' leader.
- ICC Uganda visit prompts fresh calls for state 'crimes' probe IRIN 02 Mar 2015 -- The International Criminal Court Prosecutor's visit to Uganda has prompted fresh calls for the tribunal to investigate atrocities allegedly committed by government forces fighting the Lord's Resistance Army insurgency in the north of the country.
- Russia, Ukraine Agree on Gas Delivery Deal Through March VOA 02 Mar 2015 -- Russia and Ukraine have agreed on a gas delivery deal through the end of March, despite the conflict over pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine.
- Without Mariupol Ukraine Will Lose Currency Receipts Sputnik 02 Mar 2015 -- In case Ukraine loses control over Mariupol, the country will remain without foreign currency receipts, the Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk said.
- EU Mediates Gas Talks Between Russia, Ukraine VOA 02 Mar 2015 -- Russia and Ukrainian energy ministers got together for key gas talks in Brussels, amid threats by Russia's Gazprom to cut off deliveries to Ukraine.
- Brutality Eroding IS Financial Support VOA 02 Mar 2015 -- The top U.S. intelligence official says the Islamic State's penchant for publicizing beheadings and other brutal forms of punishment is hurting the terror group's bottom line.
- As Iraq Battles IS, Clerics Call for Reform Against Extremism VOA 02 Mar 2015 -- As Iraqi soldiers battle to recapture the city of Tikrit from Islamic State militants, Muslim leaders from around the world pledge to beat back extremist ideology in other ways. They said the fight requires clerics to re-examine how they present their faith, eliminating outdated ideas and emphasizing tolerance.
- Obama: Iran Must Freeze Sensitive Nuclear Activity for At Least a Decade VOA 02 Mar 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama says Iran must freeze its sensitive nuclear activities for at least 10 years in order for an agreement to be successful. In an interview with the Reuters news agency, the U.S. leader also conceded that the chances of reaching such a deal are still less than 50 percent.
- US Congress Awaits Controversial Netanyahu Speech VOA 02 Mar 2015 -- U.S. lawmakers remain divided over a planned speech to a joint session of Congress Tuesday by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
- Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's speech at the AIPAC Policy Conference 2.3.15 Benjamin Netanyahu 02 Mar 2015
- Bushehr power plant produces 11 billion kilowatt/hour electricity IRNA 02 Mar 2015 -- Managing Director of Bushehr power plant said on Monday that the plant has produced 11 billion kilowatt/hour electricity since it was put into operation.
- Russia, Iran Sign New Agreement on Bushehr NPP Sputnik 02 Mar 2015 -- Russia and Iran signed an agreement on March 2 to supply services to the Bushehr nuclear power plant, the head of Rosenergoatom said.
- IAEA chief declares lack of diversion in Iran's declared nuclear material Iran Press TV 02 Mar 2015 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has once again verified lack of any diversion toward non-peaceful purposes in Iran's declared nuclear material.
- Kerry Says Long Way To Go On Iran Nuclear Deal RFE/RL 02 Mar 2015 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry has said there had been some progress in talks with Iran on its nuclear program, but warned there was 'a long way to go' to reach a deal.
- Obama Threatened to Shoot Down Israeli Attack Jets - Report Sputnik 02 Mar 2015 -- According to a Kuwaiti newspaper, the Obama administration may have been willing to undertake drastic measures to prevent Israel from bombing Iranian nuclear facilities, even threatening to shoot down Israeli jets.
- Kerry warns Netanyahu against revealing details of Iran deal Iran Press TV 02 Mar 2015 -- US Secretary of State John Kerry has warned Benjamin Netanyahu, the Israeli prime minister, against revealing details of a possible nuclear agreement with Iran.
- Netanyahu Cites 'Obligation' to Warn of Nuclear Iran VOA 02 Mar 2015 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says his country and the United States agree on the need to keep Iran from getting nuclear weapons, but disagree on how to achieve that goal.
- Netanyahu says he intends no disrespect to Obama for Iran speech Iran Press TV 02 Mar 2015 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has played down any personal dispute with US President Barack Obama, but said he has a "moral obligation" to warn against a nuclear deal with Iran.
- Peru Suspends Spy Agency Amid Snooping Scandal Sputnik 02 Mar 2015 -- Peru partially shuttered its intelligence gathering agency to restructure it following allegations its agents spied on local politicians and businessmen.
- China 'tigers, flies' hunt traps officials Iran Press TV 02 Mar 2015 -- The Chinese president's anti-graft campaign, known for prowling for corrupt political "tigers" and "flies," has entrapped seven military officials.
- Tajikistan's Ruling Party Wins Election Decried As 'Farce' RFE/RL 02 Mar 2015 -- Electoral officials in Tajikistan said President Emomali Rahmon's ruling party won parliamentary elections that were marred by violations, criticized by international monitors, and dismissed as a 'farce' by the Communist Party leader.
- Kerry Blasts UN Council's 'Obsession' With Israel VOA 02 Mar 2015 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry criticized the United Nations Human Rights Council for what he calls its "obsession with Israel."
- UN agency head urges cooperation on safeguards, stresses role of nuclear energy in development UN News Centre 02 Mar 2015 -- In his introductory statement to the Agency's Board of Governors, the head of the United Nations atomic energy watchdog said he remains "seriously concerned" about nuclear programme of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), and that he is not yet in a position to conclude that all nuclear material in Iran is used for peaceful purposes.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|