20 August 2014 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 20 Aug 2014 [PDF]
- U.S. Continues Airstrikes Against ISIL in Iraq AFPS 20 Aug 2014 -- U.S. military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in support of Iraqi security force operations, using fighter, remotely piloted and attack aircraft to conduct 14 airstrikes in the vicinity of the Mosul Dam, according to a U.S. Central Command news release issued today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Work Highlights Importance of U.S.-South Korea Alliance AFPS 20 Aug 2014 -- On the first day of Deputy Defense Secretary Bob Work's first official visit here with military and political leaders, talks focused on the North Korean threat, the importance of cooperation between the U.S., South Korea and Japan, and key capabilities needed for the U.S.-South Korea bilateral relationship, a senior defense official said.
- U.S. Soldiers in Estonia Compete in Recon Challenge AFPS 20 Aug 2014 -- Atop a high hill overlooking this town stands a castle. For centuries it has stood as a military stronghold and center of commerce as it passed hands from one kingdom to another. Today the castle attracts thousands of tourists eager to relive the Middle Ages.
- Remarks by Deputy Secretary Work at a Troop Event at Apra Harbor, Guam DoD 20 Aug 2014 -- Presenter: Deputy Secretary of Defense Bob Work
- Reserve Marines Participate In Partnership of the Americas 2014 In Support Of MARFORSOUTH USMC News 20 Aug 2014 -- Just as the local population evacuates their small beach town, the waves of a tsunami come crashing into their homes. Houses are flooded, windows are shattered, and lives are ruined. Some of the locals could not get to safety in time. There is limited food, water, medical care, and shelter, but there is relief on the horizon. The simulation of these scenarios allows Marines realistic training with partner nations.
- U.S. Marines Board Chilean Naval Ship In Support Of POA 2014 USMC News 20 Aug 2014 -- A group of U.S. Marines from 1st Battalion, 23rd Marines and 4th Marine Logistics Group, Marine Forces Reserve, boarded the Chilean ship LSDH Sargento Aldea for the first time August 15, 2014 during Partnership of the Americas 2014. The Chilean ship LSDH Sargento Aldea is one of five ships participating in the exercise to include the remote participation of the USS America.
- CNO Releases Annual Navigation Plan NNS 20 Aug 2014 -- The Navy's top leader released a detailed plan Tuesday that highlights the U.S. Navy's intended track and investments for the next five fiscal years.
- NNPP Addresses Integrity Issue at Nuclear power Training Unit NNS 20 Aug 2014 -- On February 3, 2014, a Sailor assigned to the Moored Training Ship (MTS 626) at the Nuclear Power Training Unit (NPTU) in Charleston, South Carolina reported that an examination key was compromised. The exam key that was compromised was for one of the staff certification exams for one of eleven watch station positions at one of the two Moored Training Ships on the Charleston site.
- USS Makin Island Visits Hong Kong NNS 20 Aug 2014 -- Amphibious assault ship USS Makin Island (LHD 8), along with the embarked 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit, arrived in Hong Kong, Aug. 20, for a port visit.
- Hawaii visits Yokosuka during Western Pacific Deployment NNS 20 Aug 2014 -- The Virginia-class fast-attack submarine USS Hawaii (SSN 776) arrived at Fleet Activities Yokosuka Aug. 20 for a visit as part of its deployment to the Western Pacific.
- Russia launches military drills in south Iran Press TV 20 Aug 2014 -- Russia has launched fresh military exercises in the south of the country as fighting intensifies between pro-Moscow forces and government troops in Ukraine.
- Russian Aerospace Defense Forces to Launch 20 Missiles During Exercise RIA Novosti 20 Aug 2014 -- Russia's Aerospace Defense Forces are practicing the repelling of a massive air missile strike as part of large-scale exercises at the Ashuluk testing range in southern Russia, involving surface-to-air missile systems field firing, Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Col. Igor Klimov told the press Wednesday.
- Mistral Ships to Be Delivered Despite Current Level of Sanctions - Hollande RIA Novosti 20 Aug 2014 -- There is nothing that would stop France from delivering two Mistral helicopter carrier ships to Russia, French President Francois Hollande said Wednesday.
- Air defense units in Russia's Far East Repel Simulated Drone Attack RIA Novosti 20 Aug 2014 -- Air defense units of the Eastern Military District successfully repelled a simulated attack, hitting all aircraft and combat drone targets as part of a snap check of combat readiness, a Russian military spokesman said Wednesday.
- Italy to Supply Iraq with Soviet Weapons - Defense Minister RIA Novosti 20 Aug 2014 -- Rome plans to send to Iraq Soviet-produced weapons confiscated more than 20 years ago during the Balkan Wars, Defense Minister Roberta Pinotti said.
- Japan to Permit Logistical Support to US Forces RIA Novosti 20 Aug 2014 -- The Japanese government is reinterpreting current guidelines in order to allow the Self-Defense Forces' (SDF) to provide logistical support to US forces in the event of an emergency on the Korean Peninsula, The Yomiuri Shimbun reported Wednesday.
- Hamas says Israel truce talks over, warns to target major airport Iran Press TV 20 Aug 2014 -- The military wing of the Palestinian resistance movement Hamas says truce talks with the Israeli regime is over, threatening that it will carry out more attacks on Ben-Gurion International Airport near Tel Aviv.
- Hamas launches rocket barrage deep into Israel Iran Press TV 20 Aug 2014 -- Palestinian resistance fighters have fired a barrage of rockets into Israel in retaliation for Tel Aviv's renewed attacks on the besieged Gaza Strip.
- Amid fresh violence in Gaza, Ban urges parties to reach 'immediate understanding' on durable ceasefire UN News Centre 20 Aug 2014 -- As renewed violence signalled the end of the latest Gaza ceasefire, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon expressed grave disappointment at the return to hostilities and urged the parties to "reach an immediate understanding on a durable ceasefire which also addresses the underlying issues."
- Israeli Airstrikes Kill Wife, Child of Hamas Military Leader VOA 20 Aug 2014 -- Israel and Palestinians in the Gaza Strip carried out dozens of attacks on one another Wednesday, with one Israeli airstrike killing the wife and infant son of the Hamas military leader in Gaza.
- Ukrainian Troops Reclaim Key Eastern Town VOA 20 Aug 2014 -- Ukraine says it has reclaimed control of a key city in the east, where rebels and government troops are battling for territory.
- Nine Ukrainian troops killed near volatile Donetsk Iran Press TV 20 Aug 2014 -- At least nine Ukrainian soldiers have been killed in overnight fighting in the town of Ilovaysk, located in the east of the volatile city of Donetsk, a top official says.
- Former Defense Minister to Step in as Luhansk People's Republic Prime Minister RIA Novosti 20 Aug 2014 -- Former Defense Minister of the self-proclaimed Luhansk People's Republic, Igor Plotnitsky, has been appointed as the republic's new Prime Minister, a source close to the LPR government told RIA Novosti Wednesday.
- Ukraine Unable to Confirm Reports of Alleged Russian Military Aid to Militias RIA Novosti 20 Aug 2014 -- Ukraine's intelligence service is unable to confirm reports that Russian armored vehicles purportedly entered the eastern Ukrainian city of Luhansk, a spokesman for the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine said Wednesday.
- Kiev Says 8 Troops Killed in Eastern Ukraine's Ilovaisk, Including One of US Origin RIA Novosti 20 Aug 2014 -- Ukrainian law enforcement officials say they lost eight more people in the battle for Ilovaisk, Donetsk Region, among them a Ukrainian citizen of US origin.
- Amid Defiant Russian Sanctions, Serious Doubts About Economic Future VOA 20 Aug 2014 -- This is the season of economic discontent in Russia, with Moscow and the West tit-for-tatting sanctions in response to the ongoing Russian-backed insurgency in eastern Ukraine.
- Iraq's Zebari urges global support against ISIL terrorists Iran Press TV 20 Aug 2014 -- Iraq's Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari has called on the international community to back his country's ongoing offensive against ISIL Takfiri terrorists.
- Iraq: major relief effort underway in north as UN envoy warns against targeting of Sunnis in south UN News Centre 20 Aug 2014 -- A United Nations refugee agency cargo jet carrying 100 tons of emergency relief supplies landed at Erbil in Iraq's Kurdistan region today "in the largest single aid push" in more than a decade, as the top UN official in the country warned against increased targeting of Sunni minorities in the south.
- Obama: 'World Appalled' By Foley Beheading RFE/RL 20 Aug 2014 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has said the whole world is appalled by the beheading of American journalist James Foley by jihadist militants of the Islamic State (IS) group.'
- IS Militants Behead US Journalist Taken Captive in 2012 - Reports RIA Novosti 20 Aug 2014 -- The Islamic State militant group may have beheaded US journalist James Foley, taken prisoner by armed men in Syria in 2012, in retaliation for airstrikes against its rebels approved by US President Barack Obama earlier this month.
- Obama Condemns US Journalist's Beheading VOA 20 Aug 2014 -- President Barack Obama on Wednesday condemned the Islamic State militant group that beheaded an American journalist as a spreading 'cancer' that must be eradicated.
- France Wants Arabs, Iran, UN Security Council to Tackle Islamic State VOA 20 Aug 2014 -- France said on Wednesday it wanted the permanent members of the U.N. Security Council and regional countries, including Arab states and Iran, to coordinate action against the militant group Islamic State, the insurgents who control parts of Iraq and Syria.
- Statement by the President The White House 20 Aug 2014
- Libyan Oil Depot Resumes Shipments After Year of Blockade RIA Novosti 20 Aug 2014 -- One of Libya's biggest oil depots, Sidra, has carried out its first oil shipment since a July 2013 blockade by federalists, Arabic Economist online newspaper reported Wednesday, citing a Libyan National Oil Corporation representative.
- 'China troops enter India territory: Sources claim Iran Press TV 20 Aug 2014 -- Indian officials have accused China of dispatching troops several kilometers into its territory in the Ladakh region of Indian-administered Kashmir.
- Nigerian Soldiers Defy Orders to Deploy Against Boko Haram VOA 20 Aug 2014 -- Nigerian soldiers say they defied orders to launch an operation against Boko Haram militants because the soldiers were not adequately armed.
- We won't fight Boko Haram with such weapons: Soldiers Iran Press TV 20 Aug 2014 -- A group of Nigerian soldiers has refused to fight against the Takfiri Boko Haram terrorist group in the northeastern part of the country, citing the lack of appropriate weaponry, a soldier says.
- Pakistan Defends Meeting With Kashmiri Separatists VOA 20 Aug 2014 -- Pakistan's ambassador to India has defended his meeting with Kashmiri separatist leaders, despite criticism from New Delhi which subsequently called off diplomatic talks with Islamabad.
- All 365 of Sierra Leone’s Ebola-related deaths pinned on one healer RT 20 Aug 2014 -- Sierra Leone’s Ebola crisis has been traced back to a single healer in an isolated border village, who had claimed to be in possession of special powers to cure the deadly disease that started penetrating the border, it has emerged.
- Liberia Uses Tear Gas to Disperse Ebola Protest VOA 20 Aug 2014 -- The Ebola epidemic gripping West Africa has claimed another 106 lives, raising the overall death toll to 1,350.
- Ebola Batters Weak Health Systems VOA 20 Aug 2014 -- The three West African countries at the center of the Ebola outbreak have at least one thing in common – weak healthcare systems. Experts say that prevented Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone from responding quickly and effectively to the epidemic.
- Pakistan Supreme Court summons opposition leaders Iran Press TV 20 Aug 2014 -- Pakistan's Supreme Court has ordered the country's opposition leaders to appear in court following mass protests seeking the resignation of the prime minister.
- Pakistani Protesters Attempt To Blockade Parliament RFE/RL 20 Aug 2014 -- Thousands of Pakistani protesters have tried to blockade Pakistan's parliament as lawmakers met with Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif to discuss the country's political crisis.
- Protest Standoff Continues at Pakistan Parliament VOA 20 Aug 2014 -- Pakistan's parliament met Wednesday as thousands of protesters gathered outside, calling for Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif to step down.
- Thai military-controlled legislature to appoint next PM Iran Press TV 20 Aug 2014 -- Thai officials say the military-controlled legislature will meet this week to nominate the country's next prime minister as the army rules in the country.
- Kurdish ministers rejoin Iraq government: Zebari Iran Press TV 20 Aug 2014 -- The Kurdish ministers who had suspended their participation with the Iraqi government have rejoined the administration of outgoing Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, says the country's Foreign Minister Hoshiyar Zebari.
- Kurdish Ministers Return to Iraqi Administration RIA Novosti 20 Aug 2014 -- Kurdish ministers who earlier suspended their participation in former Prime Minister Nouri Maliki's government have rejoined the administration, Reuters reported citing reinstated Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari, an ethnic Iraqi Kurd.
- Iranian nation not to allow penetration into borders, says Zarif ISNA 20 Aug 2014 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif reiterated that the Iranian nation enjoying massive hardware strength would not allow penetration inside the country's borders.
- Moderate Iranian Science Minister Ousted By Parliament RFE/RL 20 Aug 2014 -- Iranian lawmakers have dismissed the Islamic republic's science minister in a blow to moderate President Hassan Rohani.
- Xi upholds China's unique path as marking Deng's birth anniversary People's Daily 20 Aug 2014 -- President Xi Jinping vowed to uphold socialism with Chinese characteristics and China's independent 'path, theory and system' on Wednesday as China marked the 110th anniversary of the birth of Deng Xiaoping.
- Chaos In Kerch: Russia Struggles To Ferry Tourists To Crimea RFE/RL 20 Aug 2014 -- Since annexing Crimea from Ukraine in March, the Kremlin has said it is Russians' patriotic duty to spend their summer holidays at the peninsula's resorts.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|