25 June 2014 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 25 Jun 2014 [PDF]
- Feeding Camp Leatherneck USMC News 25 Jun 2014 -- Marines and sailors with 1st Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, work a lot of hard hours while deployed to Camp Leatherneck, Helmand province, Afghanistan. However, there are some Marines who have taken on a task so large and demanding, some may think they have bitten off more than they can chew.
- ISAF Foreign Ministers finalise plans for the NATO-led post 2014 mission NATO 25 Jun 2014 -- NATO Foreign Ministers and their counterparts from ISAF partner nations met with the Afghan Deputy Foreign Minister Ershad Ahmadi on Wednesday (25 June 2014). They reviewed progress in the ISAF mission, took stock of the ongoing election process and finalised operational plans for the launch of a new NATO-led mission to train, advise and assist the Afghan security forces after 2014.
- Gripped by electoral crisis, Afghanistan needs 'statesmanship, not brinksmanship' - UN envoy UN News Centre 25 Jun 2014 -- Amidst challenges that are testing Afghanistan's electoral, institutional and legal frameworks, together with the maturity of its political leaders, the top United Nations official in the country underscored today the vital need for the Afghan political class to act decisively to manage these events and "avoid any slippery slope to civil disorder and instability."
- Taliban Launches Helmand Offensive; More Than 160 Killed RFE/RL 25 Jun 2014 -- Afghan officials say more than 800 Taliban fighters have launched an offensive in Helmand Province aimed at retaking territory that was recently transferred to the control of Afghan government forces by departing U.S. troops.
- Interview: NATO Chief Counting On Afghan Election Authorities RFE/RL 25 Jun 2014 -- NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen has faith in the Afghan election authorities, is confident in the ability of the country's security forces, and says Kabul should take the lead in negotiations with the Taliban.
- Statement from Pentagon Press Secretary Rear Adm. John Kirby on the Departure of M/V Cape Ray DoD 25 Jun 2014
- Removal of Syrian chemical weapons UK MOD 25 Jun 2014 -- HMS Diamond has begun the next phase of the operation to destroy chemical weapons materials removed from Syria.
- USS Vandegrift Halts Smuggling in Central America NNS 25 Jun 2014 -- The Oliver Hazard Perry-class guided-missile frigate USS Vandegrift (FFG 48) and a U.S. Coast Guard Law Enforcement Detachment (LEDET), intercepted approximately two tons of cocaine being smuggled aboard two fishing vessels while on routine patrol off the coast of Central America.
- USS Ingraham Intercepts 793 Kilograms of Cocaine NNS 25 Jun 2014 -- USS Ingraham (FFG 61) with Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron Light (HSL) 49 Detachment 2 and a U.S. Coast Guard Law Enforcement Detachment (LEDET) disrupted approximately 793 kilograms of cocaine while conducting counter narcotic operations in the 4th Fleet Area of Responsibility in June.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Cybercom Chief: Partners Vital to Defending Infrastructure AFPS 25 Jun 2014 -- Building partnerships among the federal government, the private sector and academia is vital to bringing together capabilities in the defense of critical infrastructure, the commander of U.S. Cyber Command said yesterday.
- Official: Initial Bergdahl Investigation Was Inconclusive AFPS 25 Jun 2014 -- An initial Army investigation into the whereabouts of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl following his disappearance in June 2009 did not conclude that he voluntarily left his installation, an Army official, speaking on background, said today.
- Readout of Secretary Hagel's Meeting with Norway's Minister of Defense Ine Eriksen Søreide DoD 25 Jun 2014
- DOD Announces Recruiting and Retention Numbers for Fiscal 2014, through May 2014 DoD 25 Jun 2014 -- The Department of Defense announced today recruiting and retention statistics for the active and reserve components for fiscal 2014, through May 2014.
- Marines, West African nations train together during U.S. Army Exercise Western Accord 14 USMC News 25 Jun 2014 -- Marines with Company I, 3rd Battalion, 23rd Marine Regiment, spent a week in June training and working with Economic of West African States militaries during Exercise Western Accord 14.
- Multinational Task Force Arrives for RIMPAC 2014 NNS 25 Jun 2014 -- A multinational task force consisting of nine ships from four nations arrived in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, June 24, after participating in a group sail from Guam to participate in the 24th biennial Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) exercise.
- USS Pinckney, KRI Slamet Riyadi Conduct CARAT Indonesia 2014 Training Exercise NNS 25 Jun 2014 -- Guided-missile destroyer USS Pinckney (DDG 91) and the Indonesian navy frigate KRI Slamet Riyadi (F 352) conducted a two-day training exercise, also known as a passing exercise (PASSEX), June 24.
- Final Deployment Completed in Rota for NMCB 74 NNS 25 Jun 2014 -- The final deployment of Naval Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB) 74 ended June 24 during a transfer of authority ceremony with Naval Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB) 133, at Camp Mitchell aboard Naval Station Rota, Spain.
- NATO Chief Says Alliance Must Deal With Russia's 'New Warfare' RFE/RL 25 Jun 2014 -- NATO chief Anders Fogh Rasmussen has opened a meeting of alliance foreign ministers by noting Russia's use of 'ambiguous' warfare in Ukraine while saying its door 'remains open' to aspirant countries.
- NATO Foreign Ministers agree Alliance's door to new members remains open NATO 25 Jun 2014 -- NATO Foreign Ministers have agreed that the Alliance's door remains open to new members, NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said Wednesday (25 June 2014) at the start of the second day of ministerial talks. The Secretary General said that September's Wales Summit "will mark the success" of NATO's Open Door Policy and maintain its momentum. "Let me be clear: NATO's door remains open and no third country has a veto over NATO enlargement."
- NATO Foreign Ministers agree on Readiness Plan, endorse support package for Ukraine NATO 25 Jun 2014 -- NATO Foreign Ministers on Wednesday (25 June 2014) agreed on plans to develop a robust Alliance Readiness Action Plan for the Alliance's Summit in Wales this September and endorsed a package of support measure to strengthen Ukraine's ability to defend itself. "The Summit comes at a time when security challenges are multiplying beyond our borders," NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said. "Today we stressed the importance of our collective defence."
- Rasmussen presents NATO plan to bolster Ukraine's defense VoR 25 Jun 2014 -- NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen presented the alliance's plan to bolster Ukraine's defense capabilities during a meeting with Ukrainian Foreign Minister Pavel Klimkin on Wednesday, the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry's press service said in a statement.
- NATO to Strengthen Ties With Georgia, Not Offer Full Membership VOA 25 Jun 2014 -- NATO members, wary of antagonizing Russia, propose closer ties with Georgia but stop short of granting full membership to the one-time Soviet republic.
- Georgia unprepared for NATO membership - defense minister VoR 25 Jun 2014 -- Georgia currently ponders gradual integration with NATO opposing to immediate shift to the Western military alliance's membership, the Georgian defense minister said on Wednesday.
- Russia calls off mandate to send troops to Ukraine Iran Press TV 25 Jun 2014 -- Russia's upper house of parliament has voted to call off a resolution allowing President Vladimir Putin to deploy troops to Ukraine.
- Russia's Upper House Rescinds Right To Intervene Militarily In Ukraine RFE/RL 25 Jun 2014 -- Russia's upper house of parliament has voted overwhelmingly to revoke authorization for Russian military intervention in Ukraine.
- Russian Parliament Revokes Permission to Send Troops VOA 25 Jun 2014 -- In Moscow Wednesday, Russia's upper house of parliament voted to withdraw permission for Russian troops to go into Ukraine, fulfilling a request made by President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday to cancel that permission.
- June 25, 2014 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 25 Jun 2014
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 6/25/2014 The White House 25 Jun 2014
- 25 June 2014 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 25 Jun 2014
- ISIS advance adds to aid challenges in Iraq's north IRIN 25 Jun 2014 -- As fighting grows between Islamist insurgents and government forces in Iraq, aid agencies are straining to support the hundreds of thousands of people displaced by the violence amid unclear government policies, lack of funding and a multiplicity of humanitarian actors flooding in to respond.
- New camps for fleeing Iraqis offer safety but little comfort IRIN 25 Jun 2014 -- Heavily pregnant Sneen kneels at the entrance to her tent, trying to shade herself from the searing sun overhead and keep the dust out of her eyes.
- ISIL destroys two Shia religious sites in Iraqi city of Mosul Iran Press TV 25 Jun 2014 -- Takfiri militants of the so-called Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) have destroyed two Shia religious sites located north of Iraq's second largest city of Mosul, reports say.
- Iraq PM rejects calls to form salvation government Iran Press TV 25 Jun 2014 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has rejected calls to form a so-called national salvation government in order to confront the ISIL Takfiri militants.
- Iraq army continues mop-up operations against Takfiris Iran Press TV 25 Jun 2014 -- The Iraqi army continues mop-up operations against Takfiri militants of the so-called Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) in the east and north of the country.
- Iraq PM Rejects Calls For National Unity Government RFE/RL 25 Jun 2014 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki has rejected calls for a national unity government to counter a mounting Sunni insurgency.
- Iraqi PM Rejects Forming 'Salvation' Government VOA 25 Jun 2014 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has rejected forming an emergency government to help the country counter a surge by Sunni Islamist militants.
- UN agencies 'surging' staff, funds to meet urgent humanitarian needs in Iraq UN News Centre 25 Jun 2014 -- Yet again, another humanitarian crisis has hit war-torn Iraq, disproportionately and negatively impacting the hungry poor, the head of the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) said today, wrapping up a two-day visit to the country, which has in recent weeks, seen violent armed groups sweep through a number of provinces sending massive numbers of desperate people fleeing for safety.
- Iraq: Military effort to quell insurgency must be backed by political process, says UN envoy UN News Centre 25 Jun 2014 -- The "grave" situation in Iraq requires a solution based on military, political and social processes that will address the concerns of all communities, the top United Nations official in the crisis-torn country said today, appealing also for financial resources to aid the already-overstretched UN relief effort there.
- Ukrainian military disarms people that seized oil refinery connected to Yanukovych VoR 25 Jun 2014 -- Ukrainian government forces have disarmed a group of people who broke into the grounds of the Dolinsky oil refinery (Kirovograd region), Interfax reports regional prosecutors as saying.
- 140 Ukrainian soldiers killed during special operation in southeast - Defense Ministry VoR 25 Jun 2014 -- More than 140 Ukrainian soldiers have been killed during a special operation in southeastern Ukraine since the middle of April, Ukrainian Defense Minister Mikhail Koval said on Monday.
- Kiev Troops, Southeast Ukraine Independence Supporters Swap Captives RIA Novosti 25 Jun 2014 -- Kiev-backed forces and independence supporters from southeastern Ukraine have started swapping captives, Ukraine's acting Defense Minister Mykhailo Koval said Wednesday.
- Ukrainian army continues shooting during truce - Lugansk People's Republic VoR 25 Jun 2014 -- The Ukrainian authorities took advantage of the ceasefire to strengthen their positions and continue to bombard settlements of the self-proclaimed Lugansk People's Republic (LPR), Chairman of the Supreme Council of the LPR, Alexey Karyakin said on Wednesday. He noted that immediately after the announcement of the truce there were victims among the civilian population on the territory of the LPR as a result of shellings.
- Uzbeks Adding To Ranks Of Ukraine's Pro-Russian Separatists RFE/RL 25 Jun 2014 -- Fresh evidence suggests that pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine are looking to Central Asia as a potential source of trained military fighters.
- Fresh violence leaves 50 dead in Central African Republic Iran Press TV 25 Jun 2014 -- In the Central African Republic (CAR), nearly 50 people have been killed over the past three days in a fresh wave of sectarian violence.
- Three international experts tapped to assist with UN-mandated Sri Lanka conflict probe UN News Centre 25 Jun 2014 -- Three distinguished experts have agreed to advise the United Nations-mandated investigation into alleged human rights violations committed during the final stages of the armed conflict in Sri Lanka.
- Security Council updates mandate of UN mission in Mali, extends two other operations UN News Centre 25 Jun 2014 -- The Security Council today extended the mandates of United Nations peacekeeping forces in Mali, Cote d'Ivoire and the Golan, in separate meetings, as part of its efforts to maintenance of international peace and security.
- Fresh Talks Keep China-Taiwan Ties on Track VOA 25 Jun 2014 -- Old rivals China and Taiwan held ministerial-level talks Wednesday to shore up relations that were hit by a protest movement earlier this year. China's top official in charge of Taiwan affairs is visiting the island to scope out its economic and social conditions. It is the first such high-level visit from China.
- Kiev Says Ready to Sign 'Package Deal' for Russian Gas under Previous EU Proposals RIA Novosti 25 Jun 2014 -- Ukraine is ready to sign a package agreement with Gazprom based on proposals made by the European Commission, Ukrainian Energy Minister Yuriy Prodan said during his visit to Brussels Wednesday.
- Kiev Ready for Consultations with Moscow on Ukraine's EU Integration Bid - Yatsenyuk RIA Novosti 25 Jun 2014 -- Kiev is prepared to hold consultations with Moscow on Ukraine's European integration bid, Ukraine's Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk said Wednesday.
- No change in Irans resolve to continue nuclear program: Afkham IRNA 25 Jun 2014 -- Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Marziyeh Afkham said on Wednesday that there have been no change in Irans resolve to go ahead with its nuclear program.
- FM: Iran not to cut any deal on redlines IRNA 25 Jun 2014 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif underlined the country's policy of detente in relations with different world states, but meantime, said Tehran will never accept to make a deal through crossing or ignoring its redlines in the nuclear talks.
- Iran's Army Ground Forces 'on alert' in western borders ISNA 25 Jun 2014 -- Deputy Head of Ground Forces of Iranian Army for Coordination Affairs said the forces in western borders of the country are 'on alert', following developments underway in Iraq due to presence of extremist militants in the country.
- Iran nuclear intentions unaffected by talks: Afkham Iran Press TV 25 Jun 2014 -- Iran says it is seriously pursuing its nuclear talks with six world powers, noting that the talks have not undermined its intention to develop nuclear technology for civilian purposes.
- DPRK FM Spokesman Blasts U.S. Moves to Hurt Dignity of Supreme Leadership of DPRK KCNA 25 Jun 2014 -- The spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK released the following statement Wednesday:
- Interview: 'It's Easier To Beat Up A New EU Member State Than An Old One' RFE/RL 25 Jun 2014 -- Russian gas monopoly Gazprom this week inked a landmark deal with Austria's OMV energy firm to build the country's section of the controversial South Stream natural-gas pipeline, which would pump gas from the Black Sea to Austria.
- Free Thai Movement Leader Pledges No Violence VOA 25 Jun 2014 -- The leader of a new group to restore popular sovereignty in Thailand following a military coup is speaking out about his fledging effort to restore democracy through non-violent action.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|