01 March 2013 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 01 Mar 2013 [PDF]
- DIO supports troops' preparation for Afghanistan UK MOD 01 Mar 2013 -- The Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) has been supporting a major exercise on Salisbury Plain helping to prepare soldiers who are deploying to Afghanistan.
- Combined Force Arrests Taliban Facilitator AFPS 01 Mar 2013 -- An Afghan and coalition security force arrested a Taliban facilitator and detained three other insurgents during an operation in the Nawah-ye Barakzai district of Afghanistan's Helmand province today, military officials reported.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Wikileaks: US Soldier Says He Peddled Secret Docs to Papers First RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2013 -- Two of the most venerable US newspapers may have missed out on the scoop of this young century after the soldier charged with disclosing thousands of classified security documents tried unsuccessfully to tip them off before ultimately handing them to the website Wikileaks.
- DOD Announces U.S. Army In Europe Force Structure Changes DoD 01 Mar 2013 -- The Department of Defense announced today that Germany-based elements of the 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team will relocate within Germany and to Italy in summer 2013.
- Army to Make Force Structure Changes in Europe AFPS 01 Mar 2013 -- Germany-based elements of the U.S. Army's 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team will relocate within Germany and to Italy this summer, according to a Defense Department news release issued today.
- Pentagon Lifts F-35 Grounding Following Inspections AFPS 01 Mar 2013 -- The Defense Department lifted its grounding of the F-35 Lightning II joint strike fighter jet after analysis concluded that a cracked turbine blade in an engine on a single plane resulted from overuse in test operations, according to an official with the F-35 Joint Program Office.
- DOD Press Briefing on Sequestration from the Pentagon DoD 01 Mar 2013 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel and Deputy Secretary of Defense Ashton B. Carter
- Air Force cuts aviation support at public events AFNS 01 Mar 2013 -- As the Air Force braces for potential sequester, leadership has cancelled all aviation support to public events for at least the remainder of the fiscal year and is standing down the Thunderbirds aerial demonstration team to save flying hours to support readiness needs.
- 'All night Alpha': Alpha Battery, 1st Battalion, 12th Marine Regiment fires 120 mm mortar system USMC News 01 Mar 2013 -- The Alpha Battery Marines used the mortar system for the first time during the training exercise, and they were mentored by Marines from Bravo Battery to become familiar with the new weaponry.
- USS Freedom Departs on Maiden Deployment NNS 01 Mar 2013 -- The Navy's first littoral combat ship USS Freedom (LCS 1) departed her homeport of San Diego to venture out to the Asia-Pacific region on its maiden deployment March 1.
- USecAF nominee testifies before Senate committee AFNS 01 Mar 2013 -- Eric Fanning testified before the Senate Armed Services Committee Feb. 28 during his confirmation hearing to be the next under secretary of the Air Force.
- AF personnel chief: 'sequestration sends wrong signal to workforce' AFNS 01 Mar 2013 -- The Air Force's top personnel chief testified to Congress on the impact to military end strength in a budget constrained environment on Capitol Hill Feb. 27 during a House Armed Services Subcommittee military personnel hearing.
- AF leaders warn of sequester impacts on replacing an aging fleet AFNS 01 Mar 2013 -- Two senior Air Force leaders here this week warned of the impacts sequestration and a continuing resolution will have on the service's acquisitions and programs.
- Task force established to close gaps between active, Guard, Reserve AFNS 01 Mar 2013 -- Air Force senior leaders recently constructed a task force to develop the best ways to bring the active, Reserve, and Guard closer together to achieve the most capable force possible.
- Secretary Details Results of Sequestration Uncertainty AFPS 01 Mar 2013 -- Soldier and Marine training, Air Force flying hours and Navy steaming days are being curtailed thanks to the $47 billion in cuts DOD must make before Sept. 30, 2013, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said today.
- Hagel Notes Sequester's 'Particular Pain' for Civilians AFPS 01 Mar 2013 -- Defense Department civilian employees will "particularly" feel the pain sequester will bring to the entire defense workforce, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said today.
- Carter Sends Letters to Governors Most Affected by DOD Cuts AFPS 01 Mar 2013 -- Sequestration will have serious and real effects for people, and to hammer that point home Deputy Defense Secretary Ash Carter has sent warning letters to the governors of the states that will suffer most.
- Operation Deep Freeze 2012 Army News 01 Mar 2013 -- The mission of the 331st Transportation Company, 11th Transportation Battalion, 7th Sustainment Brigade, located at Fort Eustis, Virginia, is to provide a mobile pier powered by small Army vessels for the discharge of cargo and equipment from watercraft to an unimproved shoreline or degraded fixed-port facility.
- 1st TSC trains on DRASH system Army News 01 Mar 2013 -- 1st Theater Sustainment Command Soldiers stopped their daily regular duties and spent Feb. 20 and 21 training on the Deployable Rapid Assembly Shelters system at Wright Field here.
- U.S. Army Japan Band trains Japan Ground Self-Defense Force buglers Army News 01 Mar 2013 -- Bugle calls have been part of the military for many years. Certain calls are played for reveille, mail call, and taps which officially signals the end of the duty day and lights out.
- Welcome home, 'Dirty Bombs!' Army News 01 Mar 2013 -- Family members and 'Iron Dragons' of the 110th Chemical Battalion (Technical Escort), 9th Chemical Company welcomed their CBRNE (Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear and Explosive) Response Team 2 'Dirty Bombs' back home to Joint Base Lewis-McChord in a redeployment ceremony Feb. 14 in the 110th battalion's headquarters building on North Fort Lewis.
- MARSOC celebrates 7th birthday USMC News 01 Mar 2013 -- U.S. Marine Corps Forces, Special Operations Command celebrated its 7th birthday on Feb. 22, marking the Corps's growing commitment to special operations in the Global War on Terror.
- Obangame Express 2013 Comes to a Successful Close NNS 01 Mar 2013 -- Exercise Obangame Express 2013 (OE-13), an at-sea naval exercise focused on counter-piracy and maritime security operations wrapped up in the Gulf of Guinea, Feb. 28.
- Seabee Headquarters Begins Realignment NNS 01 Mar 2013 -- First Naval Construction Division (1NCD), the headquarters organization for the Navy Seabees, began a realignment initiative designed to improve efficiency by eliminating a headquarters layer, March 1.
- Carrier Strike Group Two Holds Change of Command NNS 01 Mar 2013 -- Rear Adm. John C. Aquilino relieved Rear Adm. Gregory M. Nosal as Commander, Carrier Strike Group Two (CSG-2) during a change of command ceremony on board the aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77), March 1.
- Pressure Hull Complete for PCU North Dakota NNS 01 Mar 2013 -- Pre-Commissioning Unit (PCU) North Dakota (SSN 784) reached a major milestone in its construction by achieving Pressure Hull Complete Feb. 14, at General Dynamics Electric Boat in Groton.
- Supreme Allied Commander visits Marine Corps Forces, Europe and Africa USMC News 01 Mar 2013 -- Admiral James G. Stavridis, supreme allied commander Europe and commander of U.S. European Command, visited the Marines, sailors and civilians of Marine Corps Forces, Europe and Africa at Panzer Kaserne, Boblingen, Germany, March 1.
- Blue Ridge Arrives in Hong Kong NNS 01 Mar 2013 -- U.S. 7th Fleet flagship USS Blue Ridge (LCC 19) and the embarked staff arrived in Hong Kong March 1 for a port visit.
- NDW Concludes Successful Citadel Shield Exercise NNS 01 Mar 2013 -- Naval District Washington (NDW) concluded its Citadel Shield 2013 (CS13) exercise March 1.
- Patrol Coastal Squadron 1 Begins APEX NNS 01 Mar 2013 -- The Cyclone-class coastal patrol ship USS Monsoon (PC4) departed Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek, Virginia Beach, Va. Feb. 27, beginning the next phase of pre-deployment training exercises.
- DOD, Homeland Security, Governors Look to Improve Dialogue AFPS 01 Mar 2013 -- Senior Pentagon and Department of Homeland Security leaders met Feb. 25 with representatives of the Council of Governors to find how the entities can work together better, officials said in a read-out of the meeting.
- US, South Korea set to start joint military drill: Report Iran Press TV 01 Mar 2013 -- Washington and Seoul are set to launch annual joint military exercises as thousands of US troops have gathered in South Korea amid heightening tensions in the Korean Peninsula, a report says.
- Gulf mine warfare exercise UK MOD 01 Mar 2013 -- Six Royal Navy and 2 American ships, plus helicopters and mini-robot submarines, have joined forces for the year's first major mine warfare exercise in the Gulf.
- Greece, France to ink defense agreement: French defense minister Iran Press TV 01 Mar 2013 -- French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian says that the recession-hit Greece and France have planned to ink a defense deal.
- Russia Plans to Keep 10 Warships in Mediterranean RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2013 -- A proposed Russian permanent naval task force in the Mediterranean Sea may consist of up to 10 combat and auxiliary ships, a high-ranking military source said.
- Military Chief Suspended in $1 Bln Trash Case RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2013 -- Lt. Gen. Valery Ivanov, deputy chief of Russia's Aerospace Defense Forces (VKO), has been suspended from office on suspicion of causing the state an estimated $1 billion in damage by organizing an illegal dumpsite in the Moscow Region, a military legal source said on Friday.
- Russia Sold Over $2.5 Bln Worth of Weapons Abroad in Jan-Feb RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2013 -- In the first two months of 2013, Russia sold over $2.5 billion worth of weapons to other countries, the head of the Federal Service for Military and Technical Cooperation said Friday.
- Liberian Coast Guard enhances maritime security capacity USMC News 01 Mar 2013 -- Liberian Coast Guardsmen participated in a boarding officer training course provided by the U.S. Embassy-Monrovia at the Liberian Coast Guard Base Feb. 6.
- Ex-naval officer in Taiwan given jail term for spying for China CNA 01 Mar 2013 -- A retired Taiwanese naval officer was sentenced to three years in prison Friday for leaking classified national security intelligence to China.
- March 1, 2013 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 01 Mar 2013
- 1 March 2013 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 01 Mar 2013
- UN Chief Warns of Syrian War Spreading Regionally VOA 01 Mar 2013 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is warning of spillover effects in countries neighboring Syria if the sectarian violence there does not stop. Addressing journalists in Geneva, the U.N. chief said he is very concerned about the continuing deterioration of the situation in Syria.
- 'Friends of Syria' decision to up aid to militants encourages extremists Iran Press TV 01 Mar 2013 -- Russia has said that decisions made in the Rome meeting to increase aid to foreign-backed militants in Syria only encourage extremists who want to seize power by force.
- EU extends Syria sanctions, eases military aid to militants Iran Press TV 01 Mar 2013 -- The European Union has renewed extensive sanctions against the Syrian government in a move to pave the way for providing military equipment and training to the country's opposition groups.
- Friends of Syria Group 'Encourages Extremists' - Moscow RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2013 -- A resolution adopted by the Friends of Syria Group in Rome on Thursday encourages extremists there to seize power by force, Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said on Friday.
- Kerry: US Hopes for Peaceful Syria Solution VOA 01 Mar 2013 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry criticized what he called the atrocities of the Syrian regime Friday, but said the United States still hopes for a peaceful solution. Kerry spoke in Ankara following a meeting with Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu.
- Myanmar: UN aid reaches people in conflict-affected Kachin area UN News Centre 01 Mar 2013 -- United Nations and international agencies for the first time in more than a year delivered badly-needed aid to hundreds of people in northern Myanmar's Kachin state following a cease-fire and a de-escalation of violence, while warning of poor living conditions in communal shelters.
- Reconciliation efforts urgently needed in Mali to address displacement – UN UN News Centre 01 Mar 2013 -- The United Nations refugee agency today stressed that efforts to achieve reconciliation and combat impunity are needed to avoid long-term displacement in Mali, where hundreds of thousands of people have been uprooted since fighting broke out over a year ago.
- Chad Says Forces Killed Top Al-Qaida Commander in Mali VOA 01 Mar 2013 -- French and Chadian forces battling Islamist militants in Mali's remote northeastern mountains are believed to have killed a top al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb commander known as Abdelhamid Abou Zeid, though the fate of at least four French hostages that Abou Zeid was thought to be holding nearby remains unknown.
- Taiwan to monitor movements on Japanese island CNA 01 Mar 2013 -- Taiwan will closely monitor any possible deployment of troops on Japan's westernmost island, a foreign ministry spokesman said Friday, describing the reported move as being strategically sensitive.
- Iran nuclear issue will be solved: Salehi IRNA 01 Mar 2013 -- Foreign Minister Ali-Akbar Salehi underlined Friday Iran's nuclear issue will be solved, saying that both sides have got the feeling that there is a way out of the problem.
- Salehi: Iran to take path ensuring both sides' satisfaction IRNA 01 Mar 2013 -- Foreign Minister Ali-Akbar Salehi expressed optimism about trend of talks between Iran and 5+1 Group, saying Iran will take the path which will finally bring about both sides' satisfaction.
- Seddiqi: Any proposal violating Iranian nation's rights rejected IRNA 01 Mar 2013 -- Interim Friday Prayers Leader of Tehran Hojjatoleslam Kazem Sediqi said any proposal violating Iranian nation's rights is rejected and nobody will have the right to compromise over the issue.
- NPT only basis for talks about Iran nuclear energy issue: Larijani Iran Press TV 01 Mar 2013 -- Iran' Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani has reiterated that issues relevant to the nation's nuclear energy program can only be resolved through principled talks based on Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) regulations.
- Thousands of Iranian long-range missiles await enemies: Iran cmdr. Iran Press TV 01 Mar 2013 -- Thousands of Iran's long-range missiles will defend the Islamic Republic against its enemies, says an Iranian commander.
- Iran hopeful about future of P5+1 talks Iran Press TV 01 Mar 2013 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi says he is "optimistic and hopeful" about the future of Tehran's talks with the five permanent members of the UN Security Council plus Germany.
- No compromise on Iran nuclear issue: Iran cleric Iran Press TV 01 Mar 2013 -- A senior Iranian cleric says the country's officials are not entitled to consider any compromise with the Western powers over the Islamic Republic's nuclear energy program.
- How best to serve Pakistan's 750,000 IDPs? IRIN 01 Mar 2013 -- Residents escaping the latest round of fighting in Khyber Agency in Pakistan's Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) say they did not even have time to bury their dead before leaving their homes in the Tirah valley.
- Russia Starts Designing Launch Pad for Amur Rocket RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2013 -- Russia began designing a new launch pad for the Amur heavy carrier rocket at the Vostochny Space Center that is currently under construction in the Amur Region in the country's Far East, the Federal Space Agency (Roscosmos) reported on Friday.
- 'Dragon' Space Capsule Heads to Space Station VOA 01 Mar 2013 -- A privately owned spacecraft heading to the International Space Station ran into problems Friday shortly after blastoff.
- SpaceX Rocket Thrusters Experience Problem After Liftoff RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2013 -- US private company SpaceX launched on Friday its Dragon space freighter on a second resupply mission to the International Space Station (ISS), but the capsule experienced an issue with its thruster pods, NASA and SpaceX reported.
- Dragon Space Capsule Faces Trouble in Orbit VOA 01 Mar 2013 -- After a successful Friday liftoff, SpaceX's privately-owned Falcon 9 rocket, which is carrying the Dragon resupply capsule to the International Space Station, encountered trouble in orbit.
- German, Ukrainian Doctors Disagree On Tymoshenko's Condition RFE/RL 01 Mar 2013 -- Despite comments from Ukrainian doctors that jailed former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko does not require hospitalization, German doctors who examined her at Kharkiv hospital recommended Tymoshenko continue to be treated in a hospital.
- Premier vows to take responsibility for outcome of nuclear referendum CNA 01 Mar 2013 -- Premier Jiang Yi-huah pledged Friday to assume political responsibility if a planned referendum leads to a halt of the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant project and the bankruptcy of Taiwan's state-run utility.
- Guinea: Ban calls for calm following reports of violent clashes in capital UN News Centre 01 Mar 2013 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called today for calm following reports of continuing violent clashes in the Guinean capital of Conakry, urging political actors in the West African country to pursue dialogue to create conditions for peaceful May elections.
- Radical Islamists Seek To Exploit Frustration In Bosnia RFE/RL 01 Mar 2013 -- Nearly 20 years after the guns fell silent in Bosnia-Herzegovnia, a growing number of the country's Muslims have become frustrated with the democratic path their country has taken.
- Venezuelan Vice President Says Chavez 'Battling' For His Life RFE/RL 01 Mar 2013 -- Venezuelan Vice President Nicolas Maduro says President Hugo Chavez is 'battling for his health, his life.'
- Stalin's Legacy: Ethnic Time Bombs That Continue To Tick RFE/RL 01 Mar 2013
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|