21 November 2012 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 21 Nov 2012 [PDF]
- Combined Force Kills Several Insurgents AFPS 21 Nov 2012 -- An Afghan and coalition security force killed several insurgents during a search for a high-ranking Taliban leader and weapons facilitator in Afghanistan’s Logar province.
- Kabul Attack Kills Two Guards, Injures Civilians Outside Coalition Offices RFE/RL 21 Nov 2012 -- Two Afghan guards have been killed in a suicide attack targeting an international military complex in Kabul.
- Afghans Working With NATO-Led Forces Fear For The Future RFE/RL 21 Nov 2012 -- They have been branded "traitors" by the Taliban, which has said for years that it will kill any Afghans working for the NATO-led coalition.
- Kentucky Marines return home from Afghanistan deployment USMC News 21 Nov 2012 -- The Marines of Company E, 4th Tank Battalion, 4th Marine Division, returned home to their friends and families after a six-month deployment to Afghanistan.
- RAF's II (AC) Squadron returns from Afghanistan UK MOD 21 Nov 2012 -- The families of II (Army Cooperation) Squadron personnel gathered at RAF Marham yesterday to welcome their loved ones home from their recent deployment in Afghanistan.
- Rights Groups Protest Afghan Executions VOA 21 Nov 2012 -- International human rights groups are calling on Afghanistan to halt its use of the death penalty, after authorities executed eight prisoners.
- Afghan Authorities Execute Six More Death-Row Prisoners RFE/RL 21 Nov 2012 -- Afghan authorities have executed six more death row prisoners, despite international condemnation.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Readout of Secretary Panetta's Conversation with Israeli Minister of Defense Ehud Barak DoD 21 Nov 2012
- Warfighters surface new technology with Agile Bloodhound '12 USMC News 21 Nov 2012 -- The U.S. Marine Corps Forces, Pacific Experimentation Center hosted their second technological integration and demonstration event, Agile Bloodhound 2012, at the Officers' Club here Nov. 16 in order to highlight research and development efforts and associated technologies that support expeditionary war fighters.
- IKE To Return Home Early, Redeploy in 2013 NNS 21 Nov 2012 -- The Navy has directed the temporary return of the aircraft carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower(CVN 69) from her current overseas deployment, allowing the ship to return home for two months before sending it back to the Middle East region.
- Anchorage Arrives at Homeport in San Diego NNS 21 Nov 2012 -- Pre-Commissioning Unit Anchorage (LPD 23) moored pierside for the first time at her homeport in San Diego during a homecoming ceremony Nov. 21.
- Berths at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard to Receive Repairs NNS 21 Nov 2012 -- Naval Facilities Engineering Command Mid-Atlantic awarded a $13.2 million contract to Reed and Reed Inc. for structural stabilization and repairs to berths 1, 2A and 2B at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Maine Nov. 15.
- CNO Visits USS Rushmore NNS 21 Nov 2012 -- Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Adm. Jonathan W. Greenert and his wife Darleen visited Sailors and Marines aboard amphibious dock landing ship USS Rushmore (LSD 47), Nov. 20, while underway in the Arabian Gulf.
- Naval Supply Systems Command, Weapon Systems Support Installs New Wind Turbine NNS 21 Nov 2012 -- As part of an ongoing initiative towards energy conservation and going green, NAVSUP Weapon Systems Support (WSS) installed a Horizontal Wind Turbine at its Mechanicsburg, Pa. site Nov. 12.
- Seabees Renovate Barracks at Guatemalan Peacekeeping Base NNS 21 Nov 2012 -- Seabees from Naval Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB)27 completed renovations to a barracks facility at the Comando Regional de Entrenamiento de Operaciones de Mantenimiento de Paz (Regional Peacekeeping Operations Training Command - 'CREOMPAZ') military base in Coban, Guatemala Nov. 15.
- SecAF talks Pacific airpower AFNS 21 Nov 2012 -- Secretary of the Air Force Michael Donley met with Team Andersen Airmen at an Airman's Call here Nov. 20.
- SecAF addresses rebalance to the Pacific AFNS 21 Nov 2012 -- Secretary of the Air Force Michael Donley spoke about the Air Force's role in the U.S. defense strategy to rebalance to the Asia-Pacific during the Air Force Association's Global Warfare Symposium.
- Navy Chief Visits Gulf, Listens to Sailors’ Concerns AFPS 21 Nov 2012 -- Sailors want Navy leaders to work on avoiding sequestration and improving deployment rhythms, the Chief of Naval Operations said.
- Nations unite to heighten allied air power AFNS 21 Nov 2012 -- Pilots from seven nations have been working together since November with a goal to increase effectiveness of allied air forces and strengthen multinational partnerships.
- Partnership refines, integrates life-saving auto collision avoidance technology AFNS 21 Nov 2012 -- Since the partnership between the Department of Defense, NASA and Lockheed Martin began, the Automatic Ground Collision Avoidance System has evolved.
- New DOD Space Policy Addresses Safety, Security, Access AFPS 21 Nov 2012 -- The new Defense Department space policy, updated to reflect the fast-growing use and sometimes misuse of the space domain, addresses issues of safety, sustainability and security in space for the 21st century and beyond.
- Morin talks space superiority at AFA conference AFNS 21 Nov 2012 -- Acting Under Secretary of the Air Force Dr. Jamie Morin addressed more than 320 Airmen, industry officials and Air Force Association members at AFA's Global Warfare Symposium.
- Navy Announces First MUOS Satellite Accepted for Initial Operational Use NNS 21 Nov 2012 -- The Navy announced today that U.S. Strategic Command has accepted the first Mobile User Objective System satellite for initial operational use.
- Old Hornet does one more trick; VMFA-115 F/A 18 Hornet soars beyond 9,000 hours USMC News 21 Nov 2012 -- The aircraft maintainers of Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 115 wait patiently on the flightline for the return of the culmination of all of their effort.
- US Drone Submarine-Hunters to Patrol Oceans RIA Novosti 21 Nov 2012 -- We know about unmanned drone aircraft in the skies, but how about drone subs patrolling the oceans?
- USS Hawaii Returns to Pearl Harbor NNS 21 Nov 2012 -- Friends and families of the crew from the USS Hawaii gathered at the submarine piers to welcome back the Virginia-class submarine as she returned to Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam.
- USS Mount Whitney Visits Monaco, Celebrates National Day NNS 21 Nov 2012 -- The USS Mount Whitney visited Monte Carlo, Monaco, to participate in Monaco's National Day celebration, Nov. 19-21.
- Presidential Memorandum - National Insider Threat Policy and Minimum Standards for Executive Branch Insider Threat Programs The White House 21 Nov 2012
- Multinational team of wingmen rescues downed pilot from Pacific Ocean AFNS 21 Nov 2012 -- On July 22, a U.S. Air Force pilot assigned to Misawa Air Base, Japan, had to eject from an F-16 Fighting Falcon over the turbulent and cold waters of the North Pacific.
- Alpha 307th tackles Afghanistan Signal Mission Army News 21 Nov 2012 -- Friends and family members of Soldiers from the 307th Expeditionary Signal Battalion's Alpha Company gathered Nov 16 to bid farewell to the Soldiers at a deployment ceremony here.
- 403rd AFSB's battalion participates in exercise Keen Sword 2013 Army News 21 Nov 2012 -- Members of the Army Field Support Battalion-North East Asia's Yokohama North Dock have supported Keen Sword 2013 by conducting an issue of two Landing Craft Utility 2000 vessels.
- 16th Combat Aviation Brigade completes aerial gunnery Army News 21 Nov 2012 -- The 16th Combat Aviation Brigade began its transition from a force-generating build-up into a training phase, in accordance with Army Force Generation model, with its first aerial gunnery at Yakima Training Center from Oct. 7 to Nov. 8.
- Japanese live-fire exercise builds partner capacity for U.S., Japan Army News 21 Nov 2012 -- For the past 48 years, the U.S. and Japan have worked together and conducted missile live-fire exercises during the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force's Annual Service Practice here.
- Assuring quality construction for the benefit of Afghans' security Army News 21 Nov 2012 -- NATO's primary objective in Afghanistan is to enable the Afghan authorities to provide effective security across the country so it can never again be a refuge for terrorists. Along with conducting security operations and mentoring Afghan National Security Forces, building adequate facilities where troops may live, work and train is vital to promoting a strong security force.
- 5th AR trains warfighters for worldwide deployments Army News 21 Nov 2012 -- Since 2001, the Alpha Team engineers of 2nd Battalion, 361st Combat Support Regiment, 5th Armored Brigade, while mobilized to Fort Bliss, Texas, have trained thousands of Joint Warfighters for deployments to various military operations.
- Russia to Deploy New ICBM in 2014 RIA Novosti 21 Nov 2012 -- Russia will deploy its newest medium-weight solid-fuel intercontinental ballistic missile in 2014.
- Russia Seeks Closer Military Ties With China RIA Novosti 21 Nov 2012 -- Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu indicated Russia’s continuing interest in cooperation with China on defence sector issues.
- Over $22 Mln Seized During Defense Contractor Fraud Inquiry RIA Novosti 21 Nov 2012 -- Cash and valuables worth about 700 million rubles (about $22.4 million) in total were confiscated during a fraud inquiry into a possible embezzlement of state funds by defense contractors.
- Army's airborne engineers build French connection UK MOD 21 Nov 2012 -- An exercise has seen the British Army's airborne engineers build bridges with their French counterparts and across the largest man-made lake in northern Europe.
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, November 21, 2012 US Dept. of State 21 Nov 2012
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 21 November 2012 United Nations 21 Nov 2012
- UN chief and Security Council welcome ceasefire between Israel and Hamas UN News Centre 21 Nov 2012 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon – followed by the Security Council – welcomed the ceasefire announced today after a week of devastating violence in southern Israel and Gaza, and stressed that it is imperative that both sides stick to it.
- Fragile Israeli-Gaza Cease-Fire Begins VOA 21 Nov 2012 -- A cease-fire in Israel-Gaza hostilities brokered by Egypt went into effect Wednesday night, but not before last-minute exchanges of volleys between Israeli forces and Hamas militants who run the Palestinian enclave.
- Readout of the President’s call with President Morsi The White House 21 Nov 2012
- Readout of the President’s Call to Prime Minister Netanyahu The White House 21 Nov 2012
- Secretary Clinton Remarks With Foreign Minister Mohamed Kamel Amr US Dept. of State 21 Nov 2012
- Egyptian President Faces Test With Gaza-Israel Conflict VOA 21 Nov 2012 -- With his mediation in the Israeli Gaza aerial conflict, Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi has faced a high profile test of his presidency.
- Cease-fire to End Israeli-Gaza Hostilities Announced VOA 21 Nov 2012 -- Egypt announced on Wednesday a cease-fire in Israel-Gaza hostilities that will take effect at 9 p.m. local time.
- Israel, Hamas Agree To Gaza Cease-Fire RFE/RL 21 Nov 2012 -- Israel and Hamas have agreed to a cease-fire to end a week of deadly violence in and around Gaza.
- Gaza Ceasefire Agreed – Egypt RIA Novosti 21 Nov 2012 -- A ceasefire has been achieved between Israel and the Palestinians in the Gaza Strip, starting at 7:00 p.m. GMT, Egyptian Foreign Minister Mohamed Kamel Amr said.
- IDF Operation Pillar of Defense - Wednesday, November 21 Updates Israel Defense Forces 21 Nov 2012
- Statement by the Press Secretary on the Terrorist Attack in Tel Aviv The White House 21 Nov 2012
- Secretary Clinton Statement on Today's Bus Bombing in Tel Aviv US Dept. of State 21 Nov 2012
- Ban condemns in 'strongest possible terms' attack on bus in Tel Aviv UN News Centre 21 Nov 2012 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon condemns in the “strongest possible terms” a bomb attack on a bus today in the centre of the Israeli city of Tel Aviv, according to his spokesperson.
- Clinton Meets With Morsi, Abbas On Gaza RFE/RL 21 Nov 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has met Egyptian President Muhammad Morsi in Cairo to discuss a possible truce in Gaza, while a bus blast in Tel Aviv injured at least 17 Israelis.
- Efforts To Reach Israel-Hamas Truce Intensify RFE/RL 21 Nov 2012 -- Amid reports of a blast on a Tel Aviv bus, efforts to secure a cease-fire between Israel and Hamas are intensifying.
- Gaza Peace Talks in Danger as Blast Hits Tel Aviv Bus RIA Novosti 21 Nov 2012 -- At least 18 people were injured when an explosion hit a bus in central Tel Aviv on Wednesday, Israeli police said.
- Israel Gives Extra Time for Gaza Truce Efforts - source RIA Novosti 21 Nov 2012 -- Israel will give extra time for diplomatic efforts needed to solve the ongoing Gaza military crisis, a source in the Israeli government circles told RIA Novosti on the condition of anonymity.
- Israel Continues to Pound Gaza as Ceasefire Talks Drag On RIA Novosti 21 Nov 2012 -- Israeli forces launched more airstrikes overnight on Gaza, bringing the death toll in the Palestinian enclave to over 130, as efforts to secure a ceasefire continued.
- Iranian Leaders Say Giving Hamas Military Assistance RFE/RL 21 Nov 2012 -- Senior Iranian civilian and military leaders claim Tehran has given Hamas military assistance, including longer-range missiles.
- Six Suspected “Israeli Spies” Publicly Executed in Gaza RIA Novosti 21 Nov 2012 -- Gunmen publicly killed six people accused of spying for Israel at a busy intersection in Gaza City.
- China to Host Palestinian Envoy, Urges Restraint in Gaza VOA 21 Nov 2012 -- China says it will host an envoy of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas this week to discuss the conflict in Gaza.
- UNSC Vote on Russia’s Draft Resolution on Gaza Postponed RIA Novosti 21 Nov 2012 -- The UN Security Council vote on Russia-proposed draft resolution concerning the Israeli-Gaza conflict settlement has been postponed indefinitely amid ceasefire expectations, Russia’s envoy to the UN Vitaly Churkin said.
- UN agencies raise concerns about providing humanitarian aid in Gaza UN News Centre 21 Nov 2012 -- The United Nations food relief agency raised concerns about its ability to reach people in Gaza if conditions worsen, while the UN health agency said medicines were already in short supply.
- LEBANON: Concern for Syrian refugees as winter approaches IRIN 21 Nov 2012 -- Winter is approaching fast for Syrian refugees in Lebanon, who are facing night-time temperatures that regularly dip below zero.
- Statement by the NATO Secretary General on Patriot Missile Deployment to Turkey NATO 21 Nov 2012
- U.S., NATO Consider Turkey Request for Missile Support AFPS 21 Nov 2012 -- The U.S. will work closely with its NATO allies to determine the best way to respond to a recent request from Turkey for Patriot missile support.
- Turkey Asks NATO For Missile Defense Against Syria RFE/RL 21 Nov 2012 -- Turkey has asked NATO to deploy Patriot air-defense missiles on its territory.
- Syrian minister urges opposition groups to join national dialogue IRNA 21 Nov 2012 -- Syrian Minister of State for National Reconciliation Ali Haidar called on all Syrian groups, including the opposition ones, to attend the next meetings on "National Dialogue."
- ASEAN Secretary-General Defends Bloc, Despite Maritime Dispute VOA 21 Nov 2012 -- In Cambodia’s capital this week, the summit of leaders from Southeast Asian nations made limited progress on the South China Sea dispute.
- DR Congo: amid violence, UN officials voice concern over delivery of aid and impact on children UN News Centre 21 Nov 2012 -- Two senior United Nations officials have voiced their shock and concern over the violence accompanying the march on and occupation of the city of Goma in the eastern the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) by the 23 March Movement (M23) rebel group.
- UN Warns of ‘External Support’ of DRC Rebels VOA 21 Nov 2012 -- The U.N.’s top official in the Democratic Republic of Congo has told the U.N. Security Council that rebels are receiving weapons and equipment from outside the DRC.
- DR Congo: Security Council demands immediate withdrawal of M23 rebels from Goma UN News Centre 21 Nov 2012 -- The Security Council has strongly condemned the latest wave of attacks by the 23 March Movement rebel group and demanded its immediate withdrawal from Goma.
- UN peacekeeping chief: ‘blue helmets’ to stay in Goma, political solution needed for eastern DR Congo UN News Centre 21 Nov 2012 -- The world body’s peacekeeping chief emphasized the need for a political solution to the activities involving the 23 March Movement rebel group in the area.
- DRC Rebels Vow to Overthrow Government VOA 21 Nov 2012 -- Rebels in the Democratic Republic of Congo have vowed to seize more territory and topple President Joseph Kabila.
- UN Security Council Calls for Sanctions on DRC Spoilers VOA 21 Nov 2012 -- The United Nations Security Council has unanimously adopted a resolution calling for sanctions against rebel leaders in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, as well as other spoilers in the region.
- Amnesty warns of M23 Rebel Abuses VOA 21 Nov 2012 -- Amnesty international says the displacement of thousands of people in the eastern DRC has created both a humanitarian and a human rights crisis.
- M23 Rebels Urged to Protect Civilians VOA 21 Nov 2012 -- Humanitarian agencies in the eastern DRC are scrambling to locate displaced civilians and provide assistance following the M23 rebel group’s takeover of Goma.
- DRC: Paths to peace in the Kivus IRIN 21 Nov 2012 -- Democratic Republic of Congo President Joseph Kabila and his Rwandan and Ugandan counterparts, Paul Kagame and Yoweri Museveni, held crisis talks in Uganda a day after rebels captured the eastern DRC town of Goma.
- UN Says Situation in Goma “Critical” RIA Novosti 21 Nov 2012 -- The situation in Goma, a strategic city in the east of the Democratic Republic of the Congo seized by the M23 rebel group, is “critical,” UN spokesperson Eduardo Del Buey said.
- Ban welcomes signing of status of forces pact for UN peacekeepers in Abyei UN News Centre 21 Nov 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has welcomed the signing of the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) for the United Nations peacekeeping force for Abyei – tasked with overseeing the demilitarization of the area, which is contested by Sudan and South Sudan, and maintaining security.
- South Sudan Oil Still not Flowing VOA 21 Nov 2012 -- South Sudan is blaming Sudan for preventing it from restarting oil production, which was halted ten months ago in a dispute between the former civil war foes that nearly took them back to all-out war.
- Benghazi Security Chief Assassinated VOA 21 Nov 2012 -- Libyan officials say gunmen have assassinated the security chief of the eastern city of Benghazi.
- UN Unveils New Plan to Tackle Unrest in Burma VOA 21 Nov 2012 -- The United Nations on Wednesday announced a revised plan for addressing the humanitarian crisis in Burma's western Rakhine state, after the nation's president last week pledged to take action on behalf of those affected by the region's ethnic sectarian conflict.
- After Rhakine Violence, Burma's Muslims, Buddhists Ponder Segregation VOA 21 Nov 2012 -- Burma's communal fighting in western Rakhine state this year has led many Buddhists and Muslims to question whether they can live together again as neighbors.
- UN and Myanmar seek additional $41 million to help those affected by violence in Rakhine state UN News Centre 21 Nov 2012 -- The United Nations and Myanmar are seeking an additional $41 million as part of a revised response plan to provide urgent humanitarian relief for people displaced by inter-communal violence.
- Security Council stresses need for comprehensive global response to tackle piracy UN News Centre 21 Nov 2012 -- The Security Council reiterated its condemnation of all acts of piracy and armed robbery against vessels in the waters off the coast of Somalia.
- Deadly Bomb Attack Hits Quetta RFE/RL 21 Nov 2012 -- A bomb attack has killed five people, including at least three soldiers, in Quetta, the capital of Pakistan's southwestern Baluchistan Province.
- Beijing will maintain consistent Taiwan policy: Chinese official CNA 21 Nov 2012 -- Beijing will maintain a consistent policy toward Taiwan and continue to promote and deepen cross-Taiwan Strait economic cooperation despite its recent power reshuffle.
- Leaders of Muslim States Set to Hold Summit in Pakistan VOA 21 Nov 2012 -- Leaders of eight developing Muslim countries, including Iran, Turkey and Egypt, are meeting in Islamabad to discuss how they can increase trade and investment.
- World Powers Want New Nuclear Talks with Iran Soon VOA 21 Nov 2012 -- Six world powers have agreed to seek renewed talks on Iran's contested nuclear program as fast as possible.
- World Powers Want New Iran Nuclear Talks 'As Soon As Possible' RFE/RL 21 Nov 2012 -- Six world powers are committed to holding a new round of nuclear negotiations with Iran as soon as possible.
- World Powers To Discuss Iran's Nuclear Program RFE/RL 21 Nov 2012 -- Six world powers are meeting in Brussels later on November 21 for talks on Iran's controversial nuclear program.
- AEOI chief refuses delay in launch of Arak reactor IRNA 21 Nov 2012 -- Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran refused the news about possible delay in launching the heavy water reactor of Arak in central Iran.
- Iran's reaction to joint communiqué of EU and AL foreign ministers IRNA 21 Nov 2012 -- Foreign Ministry Spokesman called recent joint communiqué of foreign ministers of European Union and Arab League in Cairo 'spiteful and incorrect'.
- Khamenei Lets Ahmadinejad off the Hook VOA 21 Nov 2012 -- Spurred by Iran’s supreme leader, Iran’s parliament has backed off plans to bring president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad before the body for questioning about the faltering economy.
- Iran's Parliament Withdraws Presidential Summons Over Currency Crisis RFE/RL 21 Nov 2012 -- Iran's parliament has called off plans to question President Mahmud Ahmadinejad over his handling of the country's crippling currency crisis.
- Thailand, China Set Aggressive Targets to Increase Trade VOA 21 Nov 2012 -- Thailand and China have agreed to further boost economic ties during a high-level visit by Chinese Premier Wen Jiaboa to Bangkok.
- India Executes Mumbai Attack Gunman VOA 21 Nov 2012 -- India has executed the sole surviving Pakistani gunman who participated in the 2008 terror attacks in Mumbai.
- India Hangs Surviving Militant From Mumbai Attack RFE/RL 21 Nov 2012 -- India has hanged the only militant to have survived the 2008 attack on Mumbai.
- In Kenya, Reports of Police Abuse in Mostly Ethnic-Somali Town VOA 21 Nov 2012 -- Kenyan army and security forces clashed with locals in the predominantly ethnic-Somali town of Garissa on Tuesday, leaving scores wounded and many residents fuming with accusations of arson and physical abuse.
- SIERRA LEONE: Opposition cries foul after election IRIN 21 Nov 2012 -- The Sierra Leone People’s Party, the main opposition party in Sierra Leone, has accused the National Electoral Commission of bias in favour of President Koroma’s All People’s Congress in elections on 17 November.
- Kazakh Opposition Groups, Media Face Ban RFE/RL 21 Nov 2012 -- Kazakh authorities want to brand two opposition groups and several media outlets as extremist and to have them banned.
- US-Russia Relations in Holding Pattern VOA 21 Nov 2012 -- Relations between the United States and Russia are at the moment on the back burner, given the current crisis in the Middle East.
- US Magnitsky Bill Collides With New Russian Nationalism VOA 21 Nov 2012 -- Next week, the United States Senate is to take up the Magnitsky Act, a bill that would ban visas for, and freeze the bank accounts of, about 60 Russian officials believed to have been involved in the arrest and death of Sergei Magnitsky.
- Russian Rights Groups To Ignore 'Foreign Agent' Law RFE/RL 21 Nov 2012 -- This week, many leading Russian activists announced that they intend to break the law.
- Russian Human Rights NGO Offices Vandalized RIA Novosti 21 Nov 2012 -- The Moscow headquarters of two influential human rights groups were vandalized on Wednesday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|