31 October 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 31 Oct 2012 [PDF]
- Press briefing by Brigadier General Roger Noble, Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, ISAF NATO 31 Oct 2012
- Combined Force Kills Taliban Leader AFPS 31 Oct 2012 -- An Afghan and coalition security force killed a Taliban leader in Helmand province.
- Provincial Reconstruction Team Farah Completes Transfer of Authority Ceremony NNS 31 Oct 2012 -- Navy leaders conducted a transfer of authority at Forward Operating Base Farah in Farah province Afghanistan, Oct. 31.
- Army Space Support Team 25 Departs for Afghanistan Army News 31 Oct 2012 -- The Colorado National Guard, U.S. Army Space and Missile Defense Command/Army Forces Strategic Command, friends and family honored Army Space Support before their departure to Afghanistan Oct. 26.
- Final group of 3 YORKS soldiers returns from Afghanistan UK MOD 31 Oct 2012 -- The last group of soldiers from 3rd Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment has returned home from their deployment as part of 12th Mechanized Brigade on Operation HERRICK 16 in Helmand province, Afghanistan.
- Afghanistan Engineer District-South surpasses construction goal for October Army News 31 Oct 2012 -- The U. S. Army Corps of Engineers has one mission in Afghanistan: to Build Strong!
- EU Welcomes Afghan Election Date Announcement VOA 31 Oct 2012 -- The European Union has welcomed Afghanistan's announcement that presidential elections will be held in April of 2014.
- Remarks by the President and Governor Christie After Surveying Damage from Hurricane Sandy The White House 31 Oct 2012
- Update on the DoD and National Guard Response to Hurricane Sandy DoD 31 Oct 2012
- Defense Department Continues Post-Hurricane Sandy Support AFPS 31 Oct 2012 -- Pentagon leaders continue to monitor Defense Department-provided support to the Federal Emergency Management Agency and states impacted by Hurricane Sandy.
- McGuire continues recovery efforts, FEMA base of operations AFNS 31 Oct 2012 -- Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst personnel are continuing with recovery efforts and expect to resume most operations.
- Army Engineers ‘Forward Leaning’ in Response to Hurricane AFPS 31 Oct 2012 -- The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ response to Hurricane Sandy has been aggressive, timely and very forward leaning in defining what support they can provide, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said.
- In wake of Sandy, mobility Airmen poised to 'answer the call' AFNS 31 Oct 2012 -- Across the nation, mobility Airmen are assessing the damage left by Hurricane Sandy at their own Air Force bases along the East Coast and beginning the process of recovery, while also standing ready to answer the call for support of relief efforts from civilian authorities.
- National Guard at Hunter supports Hurricane Sandy's disaster response Army News 31 Oct 2012 -- Twenty National Guardsmen from Hunter Army Airfield deployed to the disaster response staging area in Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Obama Gets First Hand Look at Storm Damage VOA 31 Oct 2012 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has been getting a look at the devastation in storm-battered New Jersey, as parts of the region struggle to return to business as usual.
- NY, NJ Deal with Post-Sandy Pain, Destruction VOA 31 Oct 2012 -- The job of cleaning up and repairing the damage left by Hurricane Sandy moves into high gear.
- Sandy's U.S. Death Toll At Least 45; Airports, Stock Market Reopen RFE/RL 31 Oct 2012 -- The U.S. death toll from massive storm Sandy has risen to at least 45, and some 8 million households and businesses remain without power.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Greenert Uses Position Report to Check Course of Navy AFPS 31 Oct 2012 -- While generally satisfied with the progress of the service, the Navy’s top officer is using his latest position report to assess the effects of “set and drift” on the status of the U.S. Navy.
- Johnson describes Eighth Army role in Pacific shift Army News 31 Oct 2012 -- The U.S. Army's top operational commander in South Korea emphasized the importance of Eighth Army's role in providing security on the Korean Peninsula and stability in Northeast Asia during a panel here Oct. 23.
- Pentagon Has Full Confidence in Africom Commander, Little Says AFPS 31 Oct 2012 -- Defense Department leaders remain fully confident in the commander of U.S. Africa Command, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little told Pentagon reporters.
- Improved Kiowa Warrior helicopter ready for test Army News 31 Oct 2012 -- The completion and release of the first OH-58F KW marked an important first for the Army.
- Peleliu ARG Arrives in U.S. 5th Fleet NNS 31 Oct 2012 -- The Peleliu Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) and embarked 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) arrived in the U.S. 5th Fleet Area of Operations, Oct. 30.
- USS Tortuga Makes Port Visit in Hong Kong NNS 31 Oct 2012 -- Sailors and embarked Marines from amphibious dock landing ship USS Tortuga (LSD 46) arrived in Hong Kong for a port visit Oct. 30.
- Soldiers begin evaluating capabilities in tactical context Army News 31 Oct 2012 -- More than 3,800 Soldiers from 2nd Brigade, 1st Armored Division, deployed to the field Oct. 15, to begin the evaluation of capabilities in a tactical environment.
- 2nd Brigade Combat Team completes exercise at National Training Center Army News 31 Oct 2012 -- The 2nd Brigade Combat Team conducted its mission readiness exercise for an upcoming deployment to Afghanistan during September and October at the National Training Center here.
- Evaluating mobile technology for warfighter use challenging Army News 31 Oct 2012 -- Mobile technology, or mobility as it is referred to by the military, is for the first time, taking a prominent role in defense.
- Military intelligence course builds bonds between U.S. and African servicemembers USMC News 31 Oct 2012 -- The second iteration of the Military Intelligence Non-Commissioned Officer Course – Africa, began Aug. 29.
- EOD Personnel Assist GTMO with Removal of Potentially Hazardous Device NNS 31 Oct 2012 -- Navy divers at Naval Station Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, discovered an object that appeared to be unexploded ordnance, Oct. 30.
- Russia Boosts Security at Missile Launch Sites RIA Novosti 31 Oct 2012 -- The Russian Strategic Missile Forces are finalizing the modernization of automated security systems at nine of its major missile bases to counter the growing threat of potential terrorist attacks.
- Russia May Deploy Reconnaissance Planes in Djibouti RIA Novosti 31 Oct 2012 -- Russia has asked France to allow the deployment of two Ilyushin Il-38 naval reconnaissance planes at a French base in Djibouti to facilitate its anti-piracy missions in the Gulf of Aden.
- Russian Navy HQ Moves to St. Petersburg RIA Novosti 31 Oct 2012 -- The Russian Navy ensign was hoisted above St. Petersburg’s Admiralty building, which has resumed its role as headquarters for the Navy's high command.
- Russia On Target To Float Out Five Warships Each Year RIA Novosti 31 Oct 2012 -- Russian shipyards will float out five combat and auxiliary ships for the Russian Navy each year in line with the existing shipbuilding program.
- HMS Dauntless returns from maiden deployment UK MOD 31 Oct 2012 -- HMS Dauntless returned home to Portsmouth yesterday, Tuesday 30 October, from her maiden deployment circumnavigating the Atlantic Ocean.
- NATO conducts annual crisis management exercise (CMX) and cyber coalition exercise NATO 31 Oct 2012 -- NATO will conduct its annual Crisis Management Exercise CMX between 12 and 16 November 2012.
- KCNA Commentary on Hoguk Maneuvers in S. Korea KCNA 31 Oct 2012 -- The south Koreans started large-scale Hoguk exercise across south Korea on Oct. 25.
- Iran army wraps up 'Zolfaghar 91' maneuvers IRNA 31 Oct 2012 -- The Iranian Army wrapped up its three-day maneuvers code-named Zolfaghar 91" along the country’s border with Iraq.
- Top commander: Zolfaghar 91 maneuvers, symbol of armed forces' authority IRNA 31 Oct 2012 -- Commander of the Army Ground Forces Brigadier General Ahmad Reza Pourdastan said that Zolfaghar 91 maneuvers being conducted in the western Iran are symbol of the armed forces' authority.
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, October 31, 2012 US Dept. of State 31 Oct 2012
- DoD News: Contracts for October 31, 2012
- Russia to Launch ‘Cash for Clunker Airplanes’ Program RIA Novosti 31 Oct 2012 -- Russia may launch a “cash-for-clunker aircraft” program to scrap outdated airplanes and helicopters.
- Turkey Says Too Soon To Call For Syria No-Fly Zone RFE/RL 31 Oct 2012 -- Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan says it is up to the UN Security Council to decide whether a no-fly zone should be imposed on Syria.
- Syria Envoy Brahimi Urges China To Play 'Active Role' RFE/RL 31 Oct 2012 -- The United Nations-Arab League envoy on the Syria crisis has called on China to “play an active role” to try to end the violence in the Middle Eastern nation.
- Clinton: SNC No Longer Leads Syrian Opposition VOA 31 Oct 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said that the Syrian National Council can no longer be seen as leading the opposition to embattled Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
- US Outlines Vision for New Syrian Opposition VOA 31 Oct 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton says Washington hopes new Syrian opposition talks next week will produce a new rebel leadership that represents those fighting and dying in the country.
- Moscow Warns against Assad Ouster RIA Novosti 31 Oct 2012 -- The removal of President Bashar al-Assad from power will do nothing to end the 19-month civil war in Syria but will only escalate the violence, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said.
- Taiwan: Protection of fishermen's rights in disputed waters a priority CNA 31 Oct 2012 -- Taiwan has sovereignty over the Diaoyutai Islands in the East China Sea.
- Sudan's Iran Alliance Under Scrutiny VOA 31 Oct 2012 -- Sudan's accusation that Israel bombed a Khartoum weapons plant last week has drawn attention to long-standing Israeli complaints of alleged Sudanese cooperation with Iran in smuggling weapons to Palestinian militants.
- Iranian Warships Leave Sudan After Friendly Visit RIA Novosti 31 Oct 2012 -- Two Iranian warships left Sudan following a three-day visit “in support of political and diplomatic ties between the two countries,” the Sudanese Defense Ministry said.
- US Tells Sudanese Rebel Group to Stop Recruiting Refugees VOA 31 Oct 2012 -- The U.S. has called on a Sudanese rebel group to stop recruiting soldiers, including children, from a refugee camp in South Sudan.
- MYANMAR: Kachin conflict displaces tens of thousands IRIN 31 Oct 2012 -- More than 75,000 people remain displaced in Myanmar's northern Kachin State following the collapse of a 17-year ceasefire between the Burmese government and the Kachin Independence Army.
- U.S. Questions Islamabad's Balochistan Crackdown RFE/RL 31 Oct 2012 -- The U.S. Representative to the UN Human Rights Council has expressed "serious concern" over Pakistan's violent response to separatists in southwestern Balochistan Province.
- Iran’s border guard rejects claims of Azeri counterpart IRNA 31 Oct 2012 -- Iran’s border guard rejected claims made by its Azeri counterpart on recent illegal entry of an armed group to Azerbaijan’s territories via Iranian borders.
- Secretary Clinton Remarks With Kosovo Prime Minister Hashim Thaci and EU High Representative Catherine Ashton US Dept. of State 31 Oct 2012
- Clinton Says Kosovo's Independence 'Not Up For Discussion' RFE/RL 31 Oct 2012 -- Visiting U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton says Kosovo's independence is "not up for discussion."
- US, EU Presses Kosovo to Integrate Ethnic Serb Population VOA 31 Oct 2012 -- U.S., European, and Kosovo officials are working to better integrate ethnic Serbs in northern Kosovo, an area where the Serbian government operates separate security and judicial systems.
- 14 Dead in Communal Violence in Indonesia VOA 31 Oct 2012 -- Security forces have been deployed to a village in western Indonesia where three days of communal violence left at least 14 people dead.
- KENYA: Pastoralists, too, can be displaced IRIN 31 Oct 2012 -- Can pastoralists become displaced? They can, and up to 400,000 pastoralists in northern Kenya are currently internally displaced persons.
- Israel Says Iran Pulls Back Nuclear Effort RFE/RL 31 Oct 2012 -- Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak says Iran has pulled back from its effort to build a nuclear weapon, averting a possible military showdown for the time being.
- Is Israeli Defense Minister Taking Softer Stand On Iran? RFE/RL 31 Oct 2012 -- Speaking to Britain's "The Daily Telegraph," Barak said that Iran had used up to one-third of its enriched uranium to make fuel rods for a medical research reactor.
- Hollande, Netanyahu Want Firmer Sanctions On Iran RFE/RL 31 Oct 2012 -- French President Francois Hollande says he favors "other sanctions" if Iran fails to prove with "concrete acts and gestures" that it's not pursuing nuclear arms.
- Judiciary will never allow foreign interference in Iran's judicial system IRNA 31 Oct 2012 -- Judiciary Chief Ayatollah Sadegh Amoli-Larijani described European Parliament's request to visit Iranian prisons as vivid interference in Iran's judicial system.
- U.S. Decries Bahrain Ban On Public Demonstrations RFE/RL 31 Oct 2012 -- The Obama administration has denounced in unusually harsh terms a ban on public demonstrations imposed by Bahrain, a key U.S. ally in the Persian Gulf that is home to the U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet.
- Bahrain Outlaws Public Gatherings VOA 31 Oct 2012 -- As part of its continuing crackdown on dissent, Bahrain this week banned public gatherings, saying violence associated with anti-government demonstrations is spiraling out of control.
- Pakistan draws up preliminary election road-map IRNA 31 Oct 2012 -- Pakistan has drawn up a preliminary road-map under which the National Assembly will be dissolved in January next year, a caretaker government installed, followed by general elections.
- Britain and Ireland Suspend Aid to Uganda after Millions Go Missing VOA 31 Oct 2012 -- Britain has joined Ireland in suspending aid to Uganda’s office of the prime minister.
- Guinean Opposition Protests Makeup of Electoral Commission VOA 31 Oct 2012 -- Guinea’s opposition is protesting the makeup of the electoral commission, appealing to the country’s highest court and threatening street demonstrations.
- India’s Kalpakkam Nuke plant goes on alert IRNA 31 Oct 2012 -- With cyclone 'Nilam' intensifying into a severe storm, Madras Atomic Power Station at coastal Kalpakkam said the situation was being "closely watched" and asserted the plant is designed to withstand a wind velocity of 160 kmph.
- Cambodian Opposition Leader Asks Obama to Cancel Visit VOA 31 Oct 2012 -- Cambodian opposition leader Sam Rainsy is urging U.S. President Barack Obama to cancel his visit to Phnom Penh next month for a regional summit.
- Some Zimbabwe Restrictions Lifted, but Money Remains Tight VOA 31 Oct 2012 -- The International Monetary Fund says it has relaxed restrictions on technical assistance to Zimbabwe.
- Armenian Speaker Vows Resignations After President's Criticism Of Prosecutors RFE/RL 31 Oct 2012 -- Armenian parliament speaker Hovik Abramian says serious repercussions will follow President Serzh Sarkisian's recent harsh criticism of the country’s prosecutors.
- Rwandan Minister Defends Ingabire 8-Year Prison Sentence VOA 31 Oct 2012 -- Rwanda’s justice minister said the guilty verdict of opposition leader Victoire Ingabire was based on proof beyond reasonable doubt.
- Russia's Upper House Passes Treason Bill RFE/RL 31 Oct 2012 -- Russia's upper house of parliament has passed a controversial bill broadening the definition of high treason.
- Critics Fear Wide Reach of New Anti-Treason Bill RIA Novosti 31 Oct 2012 -- The new anti-treason bill approved by Russia’s upper house of parliament has prompted concern from experts, academics and human rights advocates, who say it could be used against almost anyone.
- Ukraine Ruling Party Retains Lead; Opposition Calls For Boycott RFE/RL 31 Oct 2012 -- With 98 percent of party-list ballots counted in Ukraine's parliamentary elections, the ruling Party of Regions retains its lead with 30 percent.
- Ukrainian Prosecutors Downplay Vote Fraud Reports RIA Novosti 31 Oct 2012 -- Citizen reports about violations during the election campaign and last Sunday’s parliamentary vote in Ukraine have largely proven to be false, the Ukrainian Prosecutor General’s Office said.
- New Georgian Cabinet to Walk Tightrope RIA Novosti 31 Oct 2012 -- The headquarters of the victorious Georgian Dream coalition was abuzz and crowded both inside and outside earlier this month.
- Merkel Reassures Turkey On EU Talks RFE/RL 31 Oct 2012 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel says the European Union is being "an honest negotiating partner" in accession talks with Turkey, despite persistent disagreements.
- German Call For New EU-Turkey Talks RFE/RL 31 Oct 2012 -- German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle has called for the revival of stalled talks on Turkey joining the European Union.
- Secretary Clinton Remarks With Croatian President Ivo Josipovic After Their Meeting US Dept. of State 31 Oct 2012
- US Looks to Boost Private Investment Ahead of Croatia EU Membership VOA 31 Oct 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said that Croatia's upcoming entry to the European Union could attract more U.S. investors, if the country opens its markets to greater outside competition.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|