30 August 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 30 Aug 2012 [PDF]
- Helicopter Crash Kills 2 ISAF Members in Afghanistan AFPS 30 Aug 2012 -- Two International Security Assistance Force service members died following a helicopter crash in southern Afghanistan.
- Afghans Denounce Cross-Border Shelling From Pakistan RFE/RL 30 Aug 2012 -- Hundreds of Afghans have held a demonstration in Kabul to condemn shelling by Pakistani forces of areas of eastern Afghanistan.
- 173rd Airborne, Afghan commanders visit troops in Logar Province Army News 30 Aug 2012 -- As Soldiers step out of Combat Outpost Charkh the path quickly transitions from the brown dusty roads of a village, to lush, green farmland.
- 5 Australian Soldiers Killed in Afghanistan VOA 30 Aug 2012 -- Five Australian soldiers have been killed in what Prime Minister Julia Gillard calls the country's "single worst day in Afghanistan."
- Five Australians Killed in Afghan Fighting RIA Novosti 30 Aug 2012 -- Five Australian servicemen died in Afghanistan in two separate incidents within 24 hours, marking the heaviest loss of life for the Australian Defense Force in a day since the Vietnam War.
- Helo Marines gear up for upcoming missions USMC News 30 Aug 2012 -- Marine Aircraft Group 39, I Marine Expeditionary Force played a key role in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom over the past decade since 9/11.
- UN Pulling Staff out of Afghan Provinces RIA Novosti 30 Aug 2012 -- The UN assistance mission in Afghanistan will withdraw its representations in several provinces.
- 9 Pakistani soldiers, 10 militants killed in clashes in Waziristan region IRNA 30 Aug 2012 -- At least 9 Pakistani soldiers and 10 militants were killed in clashes in South Waziristan tribal region.
- Ex-SEAL Offers Firsthand Account of Bin Laden Death VOA 30 Aug 2012 -- A new first-person account of the U.S. commando raid that killed Osama bin Laden says the al-Qaida leader was unarmed and shot in a doorway.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Statement of Attorney General Eric Holder on Closure of Investigation into the Interrogation of Certain Detainees DOJ 30 Aug 2012
- CV-22 Accident Investigation Board Complete AFSOC 30 Aug 2012
- LPD 24 Completes Successful Builder's Sea Trials NNS 30 Aug 2012 -- The future USS Arlington successfully completed builder's trials Aug. 24, marking a significant milestone as the ship progresses toward acceptance trials and delivery to the Navy.
- USNS Spearhead Successfully Completes Acceptance Trials NNS 30 Aug 2012 -- The Navy's first joint high speed vessel, USNS Spearhead, successfully completed acceptance trials in Mobile, Ala., Aug. 16.
- NSWC Crane Scientist Briefs Defense Science Board NNS 30 Aug 2012 -- The chief scientist at Naval Surface Warfare Center, Crane Division, briefed the Defense Science Board at MIT Draper Labs in Cambridge, Mass., Aug. 23, regarding his work in ultra short pulsed lasers.
- Marine Ospreys showcase new weapon system, look to expand capabilities of revolutionary aircraft USMC News 30 Aug 2012 -- The 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit has a new, unique weapon to add to its MV-22 Ospreys.
- Bow seals evaluated in first-of-its-kind testing at NSWC Carderock's Large Cavitation Channel NNS 30 Aug 2012 -- Researchers conducted first-of-its-kind testing of the design and performance of bow seals on the Office of Naval Research's Transformable Craft Surface Effect Ship in early August.
- Navy Medicine Announces Enterprise-Wide Reorganization NNS 30 Aug 2012 -- The U.S. Navy Bureau of Medicine and Surgery detailed its reorganization and realignment plan for the Navy Medicine enterprise in a message to its staff Aug. 30.
- USS Sampson Returns to San Diego following Deployment to Western Pacific NNS 30 Aug 2012 -- USS Sampson is scheduled to return to San Diego Aug. 31 after a six-month independent deployment to the Western Pacific and U.S. Central Command areas of responsibility.
- USS Mobile Bay Departs for Deployment NNS 30 Aug 2012 -- The USS Mobile Bay is scheduled to depart Sept. 1 for an eight-month deployment to the Western Pacific Ocean and Arabian Gulf as part of the USS John C. Stennis Strike Group.
- Reserve P-3 Force Prepares for Deployment during RIMPAC NNS 30 Aug 2012 -- Four aircrews and more than 50 maintenance personnel from the Broadarrows of Patrol Squadron 62 and the Totems of VP-69 increased their warfighting skills during RIMPAC 2012 this month.
- 325th Combat Support Hospital flawless during USARPAC MEDEX 12 Army News 30 Aug 2012 -- Soldiers from the 325th Combat Support Hospital deployed from Independence, Missouri, and executed a seamless mass casualty exercise for disaster relief on Sagami General Depot in Sagamihara, Japan.
- Army Assists Pacific Partnership 2012 NNS 30 Aug 2012 -- A dedicated team of U.S. Army service members, who set sail aboard USNS Merc May 4, played a vital role to Pacific Partnership 2012 mission success.
- Military Intelligence - this week in history 6 September, 2012 Army News 30 Aug 2012 -- Several events, peaking with the abuse of detainees at Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo Bay, underscored the need for changes to Human Intelligence policy.
- First in Class Conducts Local Turret Control-30 Millimeter Gun Fire NNS 30 Aug 2012 -- USS San Diego became the first ship in the San Antonio class to locally fire the MK 46, 30 millimeter gun weapon systems, Aug. 20.
- Joint Logistics Over the Shore: Waterborne Soldiers - The Force Behind the Trident Army News 30 Aug 2012 -- The Trident pier is maintained by the 331st Transport Company, "Causeway or No Way", 11th Transportation Battalion, 7th Sustainment Brigade.
- NORAD, Russia Train to Confront Terrorist Hijackings AFPS 30 Aug 2012 -- It was a scene unthinkable even 30 years ago as U.S., Canadian and Russian militaries worked together this week at the North American Aerospace Command headquarters.
- National Guard, Northcom Support Isaac Effort AFPS 30 Aug 2012 -- Governors of four states have activated more than 7,500 National Guard soldiers and airmen to deal with the aftermath of Tropical Storm Isaac.
- Mississippi National Guard provides post-Hurricane Isaac Relief Army News 30 Aug 2012 -- The storm surge and rising flood waters of a lingering Hurricane Isaac are having a telling effect on Mississippians affected by Hurricane Isaac along the Gulf Coast.
- CERT Deploys to Gulfport and New Orleans Following Isaac NNS 30 Aug 2012 -- Naval Facilities Engineering Command Southeast is sending 15 military and civilians to Naval Station Gulfport and Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base New Orleans Aug. 30 as part of a Contingency Engineering Response Team.
- Downgraded hurricane still poses threat Army News 30 Aug 2012 -- Hurricane Isaac has been downgraded to a tropical storm, but according to a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers release, it continues to pose a significant storm surge and inland flood threat across the northern Gulf Coast.
- Air Force restores moves to Keesler AFB AFNS 30 Aug 2012 -- Permanent change of station and temporary duty reporting has been restored for Airmen and civilians traveling to Keesler Air Force Base.
- Rescue Airmen assist Coast Guard in search for overboard cruise ship passenger AFNS 30 Aug 2012 -- Rescue reservists from the Air Force Reserve's 920th Rescue Wing here temporarily took over search efforts Aug. 28 for a missing cruise ship passenger 25 miles off the coast of Ponce Inlet, Florida.
- State-of-the art automated range opens at Fort Devens Army News 30 Aug 2012 -- He had been firing rounds in training for more than 20 years as a member of the Massachusetts Army National Guard, but Staff Sgt. Ken Gelormini said he had never seen anything like the new Echo Range here.
- USS Porter CO Relieved of Command NNS 30 Aug 2012 -- Rear Adm. Dave Thomas, commander, Naval Surface Force, Atlantic, relieved Cmdr. Martin Arriola, the commanding officer of the Norfolk-based guided-missile destroyer USS Porter, Aug. 30, due to loss of confidence in Arriola's ability to command.
- Six Indian defence personnel killed as two MI-17 choppers of IAF collide mid-air IRNA 30 Aug 2012 -- Six defence personnel were killed when two MI-17 choppers of Indian Air Force collided mid-air.
- Uzbekistan Bans Foreign Military Bases RFE/RL 30 Aug 2012 -- Uzbekistan's parliament has approved President Islam Karimov's proposed foreign-policy bill banning foreign military bases in the country and rejecting Tashkent's membership in any military blocs.
- Uzbekistan Bans Foreign Military Bases RIA Novosti 30 Aug 2012 -- Uzbekistan has said it will not host any foreign military bases or other military objects on its soil, Foreign Minister Abdulaziz Kamilov said before the Senate.
- Turkmenistan Plans To Hold First-Ever Military Maneuvers in Caspian RFE/RL 30 Aug 2012 -- Turkmenistan says it is planning to hold its first-ever military maneuvers on the Caspian Sea.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney, 8/30/2012 The White House 30 Aug 2012
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, August 30, 2012 US Dept. of State 30 Aug 2012
- DoD News: Contracts for August 30, 2012
- Russia to Develop Hypersonic Satellite Launcher RIA Novosti 30 Aug 2012 -- Russia's NPO Molniya space design bureau is designing a future hypersonic pilotless booster designated Hammer.
- Russian Biplane Gets New Life With American Engine RIA Novosti 30 Aug 2012 -- Russia's aging Antonov An-2 biplanes may get a new lease on life thanks to trials of the plane fitted with a modern U.S.-made turboprop engine by a Siberian research institute.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 30 August 2012 United Nations 30 Aug 2012
- Press Conference by Foreign Ministers of France, United Kingdom on Syria, 30 August 2012 United Nations 30 Aug 2012
- Britain, France Play Down Syria 'Safe Zone' Hopes RFE/RL 30 Aug 2012 -- The British and French foreign ministers say there are major obstacles to establishing safe zones for refugees within Syria.
- UN Chief to Tehran: Use Your Influence Positively in Syria VOA 30 Aug 2012 -- The U.N. Secretary-General delivered strong messages to Iran’s leadership, urging the Islamic Republic to use its influence constructively in the Syrian crisis.
- Syria Delegation Leaves Tehran Summit in Protest RIA Novosti 30 Aug 2012 -- The Syrian delegation to the Non-Aligned Movement summit in Tehran walked out in protest during a speech by Egyptian President Mohamed Morsy.
- Egyptian Leader Denounces Syrian Government VOA 30 Aug 2012 -- Regional pressure mounted on Syrian President Bashar al-Assad as Egypt's newly elected leader called Syria's government "oppressive" and urged it to transfer power to a democratic system.
- Egyptian President Denounces Syria Regime During Iran Visit RFE/RL 30 Aug 2012 -- Egypt's President Muhammad Morsi has denounced the Syrian regime as "oppressive" and called for a peaceful transition to democracy in the war-torn country.
- Free Syrian Army Claims MiG Fighter Jet Downed RIA Novosti 30 Aug 2012 -- The Free Syrian Army claimed that it had shot down a government MiG-23 fighter jet in the northwestern Idlib Province.
- United States Expects Russia to 'Break with Assad' RIA Novosti 30 Aug 2012 -- The United States would like Russia to clearly state that it will stop supplying Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s regime with weapons.
- UN Chief Urges Countries to Stop Supplying Arms to Syria RIA Novosti 30 Aug 2012 -- UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has called for a halt in arms supplies to conflict parties in Syria.
- Enhanced global support vital for deepening humanitarian crisis in Syria – UN officials UN News Centre 30 Aug 2012 -- Top United Nations officials raised the alarm on a deepening humanitarian crisis in Syria, where over 2.5 million people now need urgent assistance and protection.
- Syria’s Neighbors: Refugee Crisis Unsustainable VOA 30 Aug 2012 -- Syria’s neighbors told the UN Security Council that they need international assistance to meet the growing tragedy.
- Security Council extends UN peacekeeping force in Lebanon for another year UN News Centre 30 Aug 2012 -- The Security Council extended the mandate of United Nations peacekeepers in southern Lebanon until 31 August 2013.
- UN Extends Lebanon Mission RFE/RL 30 Aug 2012 -- The UN Security Council has voted unanimously to extend the UN Mission in Lebanon for a further 12 months.
- UN Extends Lebanon Mission RIA Novosti 30 Aug 2012 -- The UN Security Council unanimously adopted a resolution on Thursday extending the peacekeeping mission in Lebanon for another year.
- Clinton Begins Asia Tour Amid Chinese Protests VOA 30 Aug 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton heads to the South Pacific, for the start of an Asian tour expected to focus on China's growing influence in the region.
- South Korea Rejects Japan Island Proposal RIA Novosti 30 Aug 2012 -- South Korea rejected Japan’s proposal to take the two countries’ territorial dispute over the Takeshima Islands to the International Court of Justice.
- Taiwan believes U.S. has no stance on disputed Tiaoyutais CNA 30 Aug 2012 -- Taiwan believes the United States' decision to officially use the Japanese name for the disputed Tiaoyutai Islands is unrelated to the islands' sovereignty and does not signify a U.S. stance.
- SPLM-North Maps Strategy at South Kordofan Meeting VOA 30 Aug 2012 -- Sudanese armed forces continue to bomb parts of South Kordofan and Blue Nile state, charging that civilians are harboring rebels, who have been fighting Khartoum for more than a year.
- 'Civil War' Among Muslims Shakes Russia's South VOA 30 Aug 2012 -- Three recent attacks that left 30 people dead and 15 wounded have cast a spotlight on the growing religious warfare in Dagestan, Russia's southernmost republic.
- Sheikh Murdered Over Religious Split Say Analysts RIA Novosti 30 Aug 2012 -- The August 28 suicide bombing that killed a respected Muslim leader in Dagestan was the latest in a string of religious killings.
- Internally displaced camp residents in Darfur return following violence - UN mission UN News Centre 30 Aug 2012 -- About 80 percent of the residents of a camp for internally displaced persons in North Darfur, Sudan, have returned to the camp.
- UN human rights expert speaks out on Israeli ruling on Rachel Corrie verdict UN News Centre 30 Aug 2012 -- The decision by an Israeli judge to dismiss a civil lawsuit brought forward by the family of a deceased young American peace activist is shocking and sad, an independent United Nations human rights expert said.
- SRI LANKA: Government welcomes refugee repatriation from India IRIN 30 Aug 2012 -- The Sri Lankan government is to step up efforts to repatriate more Sri Lankan refugees from India next year.
- In Kosovo, Mother Continues Fight To Learn Truth About Missing Son RFE/RL 30 Aug 2012 -- The government is erecting a permanent memorial to war victims at another location in Kosovo's capital, Pristina.
- UN chief urges ‘diplomatic and negotiated solution’ to Iranian nuclear issue UN News Centre 30 Aug 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has emphasized the need for diplomacy in resolving the country’s nuclear issue.
- White House Not Surprised by IAEA Report on Iran VOA 30 Aug 2012 -- The Obama administration says it is closely studying the new report by the International Atomic Energy Agency on Iran's nuclear program.
- UN Airs New Concerns After Iran Says Nuclear Program Peaceful VOA 30 Aug 2012 -- Iran's Supreme Leader says his country is not pursuing nuclear weapons but will not give up its national right for peaceful use of nuclear energy.
- UN Chief Slams Anti-Israel Remarks RFE/RL 30 Aug 2012 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, speaking on his first visit to Tehran, has criticized what he described as "outrageous" comments denying the Holocaust and Israel's right to exist.
- Iran's Supreme Leader Rules Out Nuclear Bomb VOA 30 Aug 2012 -- Iran's Supreme Leader says his country will never develop an atomic bomb, but will not abandon its controversial nuclear program.
- S. Leader: UN should not heed powers' positions on nuke disarmament IRNA 30 Aug 2012 -- UN should not care about world powers' positions in case of fulfilling the nuclear disarmament, Supreme Leader Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamene'ie said.
- IAEA Report: Iran Doubled Number Of Underground Centrifuges RFE/RL 30 Aug 2012 -- The UN's nuclear watchdog has issued a report saying Iran is preparing for possible major expansion of uranium enrichment in a fortified underground facility.
- Jalili, Ban stress need for continuation of nuclear talks IRNA 30 Aug 2012 -- Secretary of Iran Supreme National Security Council Sa'eid Jalili and UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon in a meeting stressed need for continuation of nuclear talks.
- Filtered News Is Good News During Tehran Summit RFE/RL 30 Aug 2012 -- Leaders of the Nonaligned Movement settling in for their two-day summit in Iran might well be remarkably unaware of goings-on in the country itself.
- Non-Aligned Movement must respond to its people’s aspirations, Ban tells summit UN News Centre 30 Aug 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban highlighted the strong partnership between the United Nations and the international grouping of over 100 countries known as the Non-Aligned Movement.
- Iran officially receives NAM presidency from Egypt IRNA 30 Aug 2012 -- President Mohamed Mursi of Egypt officially handed over presidency of the Non-Aligned Movement for the next 3 years to his Iranian counterpart Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
- Iran Launches NAM Summit RFE/RL 30 Aug 2012 -- Iran is hosting leaders from around the world for a summit of the Nonaligned Movement which it hopes will boost its position on the international stage.
- Pakistan Arrests Head of Banned Extremist Group VOA 30 Aug 2012 -- Pakistani police say they have arrested the Sunni Muslim founder of one of the country's most virulent anti-Shi'ite organizations.
- No Bail Set for Pakistani Girl Accused of Blasphemy VOA 30 Aug 2012 -- A Pakistani judge has delayed bail proceedings for a Christian girl accused of blasphemy, a charge punishable by death in Pakistan.
- MYANMAR: Government frees two UN employees IRIN 30 Aug 2012 -- Two local UN staff have been released after being sentenced in a Burmese court for involvement in sectarian violence in Myanmar’s western Rakhine State, says the UN.
- Zimbabwe Court Hands Mugabe Victory on By-Election Delay VOA 30 Aug 2012 -- A court in Zimbabwe has a granted President Robert Mugabe's request to extend a deadline to call for elections to fill nearly 200 parliamentary and municipal seats.
- UN human rights expert ‘appalled’ at level of executions in Iraq UN News Centre 30 Aug 2012 -- An independent United Nations human rights expert strongly condemned execution of 21 people within one day in Iraq.
- UN human rights chief urges Gambia to impose immediate moratorium on death penalty UN News Centre 30 Aug 2012 -- The United Nations human rights chief urged Gambian authorities to impose an immediate moratorium on the use of the death penalty.
- Zambia Opposition Unhappy with Government ‘Intimidation’ Tactic VOA 30 Aug 2012 -- The leader of Zambia’s opposition United Party for National Development (UPND) says the government is using state security agencies to intimidate party supporters and needs to stop the practice.
- UN chief welcomes report into Maldives’ transfer of power, urges parties to accept findings UN News Centre 30 Aug 2012 -- Secretary-General welcomes the release of the report by the Maldives’ Commission of National Inquiry that has looked into the facts, circumstances and causes of the 7 February transfer of power in the island nation.
- Maldives Commission: Former President Not Ousted in Coup VOA 30 Aug 2012 -- An internationally-backed commission has determined that the former president of Maldives was not ousted in a coup and instead said the transfer of power was "legal and constitutional."
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|