22 August 2012 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 22 Aug 2012 [PDF]
- Combined Force Arrests Taliban Leader, Insurgents AFPS 22 Aug 2012 -- An Afghan and coalition security force arrested a Taliban leader today in the Panjwai district of Afghanistan’s Kandahar province.
- US Troop Deaths Top 2,000 in Afghanistan VOA 22 Aug 2012 -- The number of U.S. military members killed in the war in Afghanistan has surpassed 2,000, with more than half the deaths coming in the past 27 months.
- Kabul Blames 'Foreign Spies' For Insider Attacks RFE/RL 22 Aug 2012 -- The Afghan government is blaming "infiltration by foreign spy agencies" into Afghanistan's security forces for a rise in attacks by Afghan soldiers on NATO troops.
- Corps of Engineers supports DOD counternarcotics strategy in Central Asia Army News 22 Aug 2012 -- Proceeds from illicit drug trafficking can help finance insurgent attacks against U.S. Soldiers, help an ill-intentioned group destabilize a friendly nation, or arm pirates with high-powered weapons.
- No Injuries in MH-53 Helicopter Hard Landing NNS 22 Aug 2012 -- No one was injured when an MH-53E Sea Dragon helicopter assigned to Helicopter Mine Countermeasure Squadron 15 made a hard landing Aug. 22, following an engine malfunction.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Remarks by Secretary Panetta Aboard the USS John C. Stennis, Bremerton, Wash. DoD 22 Aug 2012
- Media Availability with Secretary Panetta Aboard the USS John C. Stennis, Bremerton, Wash. DoD 22 Aug 2012
- Panetta Visits USS Stennis, Thanks Sailors Deploying Early AFPS 22 Aug 2012 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta told sailors aboard the aircraft carrier USS Stennis here that they and their ship, and others like it, are the “heart and soul” of the nation’s defense strategy.
- People Fuel Military Cooperation, Dempsey Says AFPS 22 Aug 2012 -- The “software” of personal relationships is more important than hardware in building military-to-military ties between nations.
- Dempsey: Political Activity Erodes Public Trust in Military AFPS 22 Aug 2012 -- Using the uniform for partisan politics erodes the trust the American people have in their military, Army Gen. Martin E. Dempsey said.
- Secretary emphasizes Army's value in Pacific Army News 22 Aug 2012 -- Secretary of the Army John McHugh came to Hawaii Aug. 20 to discuss operations throughout the Pacific and to announce the next U.S. Army Pacific deputy commanding general for operations.
- SecAF discusses East Africa mission during Djibouti visit AFNS 22 Aug 2012 -- Secretary of the Air Force Michael Donley made trip to visit service members and civilians, and discuss operations in East Africa with Combined Joint Task Force - Horn of Africa leaders.
- CNO Establishes LCS Council NNS 22 Aug 2012 -- The Chief of Naval Operations established a board known as the LCS Council Aug. 22 made up of four Navy vice admirals to oversee continued fleet testing and introduction of littoral combat ship sea frames, mission modules, and mission packages.
- Army Awards JLTV Engineering & Manufacturing Development phase contracts Army News 22 Aug 2012 -- The U.S. Army announced the selection of three Engineering and Manufacturing Development (EMD) firm-fixed contracts, approximately totaling $185 million dollars, for the JLTV Family of Vehicles.
- Navy Provides Updated Cost Estimate for USS Miami Repair NNS 22 Aug 2012 -- The Navy's revised cost estimate to restore USS Miami is approximately $450 million, with an estimated date of completion for the repairs of April 30, 2015 officials announced Aug. 22.
- Marine Light Attack Hellicopter Squadron 269 transition to new helicopter USMC News 22 Aug 2012 -- Marines from Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 269 gained proficiency in the new UH-1Y “Venom” Hueys.
- USS Cape St. George Concludes Journey Around the World NNS 22 Aug 2012 -- The USS Cape St. George and embarked Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron 77 Detachment 2 returned to Naval Base San Diego, Aug. 22 after circumnavigating the globe.
- Bonhomme Richard ARG Embarks 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit NNS 22 Aug 2012 -- More than 2,200 Marines assigned to the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit embarked aboard the Bonhomme Richard Amphibious Ready Group at White Beach Naval Facility Aug. 20.
- U.S. Marines show off amphibious expertise in Djibouti USMC News 22 Aug 2012 -- Marines with the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit conducted an amphibious training raid at Arta Beach in Djibouti Aug. 15.
- U.S., Russia, Norway in Joint Naval Drills RIA Novosti 22 Aug 2012 -- U.S., Russian and Norwegian naval forces are holding joint firing exercises in the Norwegian Sea.
- Expeditionary Center hosts Air Mobility Command wargame AFNS 22 Aug 2012 -- Approximately 65 air mobility experts recently wrapped up participation in Air Mobility Command's Global Mobility Wargame 2012 at the U.S. Air Force Expeditionary Center here recently.
- DOD Has Running Start on Biosurveillance Strategy AFPS 22 Aug 2012 -- The White House has issued the first U.S. National Strategy for Biosurveillance to quickly detect a range of global health and security hazards.
- Naval Facilities Engineering Command Mid-Atlantic Awards Norfolk BEQ Project NNS 22 Aug 2012 -- Naval Facilities Engineering Command Mid-Atlantic awarded a $16.5 million contract to W.M. Jordan Co. from Newport News, Va., Aug. 17.
- HMS Sutherland crew hone pirate take-down skills UK MOD 22 Aug 2012 -- Royal Marines aboard HMS Sutherland have been practising their pirate vessel boarding techniques using 'rapid roping' from the frigate's helicopter in the middle of the Indian Ocean.
- MOD shortlists potential infrastructure partners UK MOD 22 Aug 2012 -- The Defence Infrastructure Organisation, the Ministry of Defence's property and services provider, has selected three consortia to continue to potentially become its private sector business partner.
- Vahidi: Iran strongly defends its territorial integrity IRNA 22 Aug 2012 -- Minister of Defense and Logistics of Armed Forces Brigadier-General Ahmad Vahidi said that Iran is well-prepared to strongly defend its national interests and its territorial integrity.
- Four Killed In Kazakh Helicopter Crash RFE/RL 22 Aug 2012 -- Kazakh officials say four people have been killed in the crash of a Soviet-era Mi-17 military helicopter near the capital Astana.
- Four Dead in Kazakhstan Helicopter Crash RIA Novosti 22 Aug 2012 -- Four people were killed after a military transport helicopter crashed in Kazakhstan.
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, August 22, 2012 US Dept. of State 22 Aug 2012
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 22 August 2012 United Nations 21 Aug 2012
- Secretary-General to attend meeting of Non-Aligned Movement in Iran at end of August UN News Centre 22 Aug 2012 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban will visit Iran at the end of the month to take part in the 16th Summit of the Non-Aligned Movement.
- Few Options for US to End Fighting in Syria VOA 22 Aug 2012 -- In statements at home and abroad, the Obama administration has made its policies toward the Syrian government clear.
- UN: Syrian People 'Suffering Grievously' VOA 22 Aug 2012 -- A top United Nations official said that the Syrian people are "suffering grievously" from what he described as the “appalling further militarization” of the conflict in that country.
- Syrian Bombings Force Villagers to Flee VOA 22 Aug 2012 -- Stretched to defend several fronts on the ground, Syrian government forces have intensified air attacks on northern towns and villages controlled by rebels of the Free Syrian Army.
- Syrian Forces Shell Damascus, 12 Killed VOA 22 Aug 2012 -- Syrian government forces backed by tanks have renewed their attacks in the capital of Damascus, killing at least 12 people.
- Up to 10 Dead In Lebanon As Syrian Conflict Spills RFE/RL 22 Aug 2012 -- Up to 10 people have reportedly been killed over the past two days in fighting in Lebanon linked to the conflict in neighboring Syria.
- U.S. Skeptical Of Overture On Assad's Exit RFE/RL 22 Aug 2012 -- The United States has expressed deep skepticism about suggestions that the Syrian regime was prepared to discuss the exit of Bashar al-Assad.
- Former Chechen Rebel Commander's Son Reported Killed In Syria RFE/RL 22 Aug 2012 -- Reports say the late Chechen rebel field commander Ruslan Gelayev's son has been killed while fighting for the opposition in the Syrian conflict.
- Press Conference by Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs on Her Recent Visit to Syria, 22 August 2012 United Nations 21 Aug 2012
- Syria – UN official urges international community to boost humanitarian funds UN News Centre 22 Aug 2012 -- The UN humanitarian chief today appealed to the international community to increase its funding to help 2.5 million Syrians in urgent need of basic services.
- Over 2.5 Million People in Syria Need Aid - USAID Official RIA Novosti 22 Aug 2012 -- More than 2.5 million people in Syria urgently need aid, a top official at the United States Agency for International Development said.
- Russia Blames West for Fueling Armed Conflict in Syria RIA Novosti 22 Aug 2012 -- Moscow accused the West of inciting armed resistance to the regime of President Bashar al-Assad and said violence would not resolve the political crisis in Syria.
- Ham Reports Progress Against al-Shabab in Africa AFPS 22 Aug 2012 -- Commander of U.S. Africa Command reported that U.S. support for Somalia’s military has had a direct impact in degrading the al-Shabab terror organization there.
- Kenya Government Urged to Bolster Security to Prevent Violence VOA 22 Aug 2012 -- The vice president of the East Africa Law Society has called on Kenya’s government to prosecute those behind the latest violent clash between two ethnic groups in Kenya.
- KENYA: Dozens killed in Tana River clashes IRIN 22 Aug 2012 -- At least 48 people have been killed in clashes between two communities in Tana River County in Kenya's Coast Province.
- 48 Killed in Ethnic Clashes in Kenya VOA 22 Aug 2012 -- Kenyan police are investigating a violent clash between two ethnic groups, in the eastern Tana River region, that left at least 48 people dead.
- US: Meles' Death Loss for Sudan Peace Process VOA 22 Aug 2012 -- The United States says the death of Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi is a loss for the peace process in Sudan and South Sudan.
- Nigeria Governors Debate Creation of Local Police VOA 22 Aug 2012 -- Nigeria's governors discussing a controversial plan to decentralize the country’s security forces by creating state police departments.
- UN-African peacekeeping force reports two missing blue helmets UN News Centre 22 Aug 2012 -- Two peacekeepers have gone missing in the Sudanese state of North Darfur, according to the joint United Nations-African Union peacekeeping mission.
- Five Nations Claim Disputed Island Chains VOA 22 Aug 2012 -- Among the governments of China, Taiwan, the Philippines, Malaysia, Vietnam and Brunei, which claims are the most valid?
- Tensions Remain Between Japan, S. Korea Over Disputed Island VOA 22 Aug 2012 -- Japan has returned its ambassador to South Korea after recalling him over a territorial dispute that involves an island in the Sea of Japan.
- Nationalism Fuels Japan-China Island Dispute VOA 22 Aug 2012 -- An escalating dispute between Japan and China over an island chain in the East China Sea is focusing attention on increasingly nationalistic moves by the rival Asian powers.
- Chinese Activists Return From Expedition to Disputed Island VOA 22 Aug 2012 -- After causing a diplomatic incident by planting the Chinese flag on the Japanese-controlled Senkaku Islands last week, a group of Chinese nationalists from Hong Kong arrived home.
- New navigation antenna to be erected on Taiping Island in September CNA 22 Aug 2012 -- Construction of a new navigation antenna on Republic of China-controlled Taiping Island is set to be finished in September.
- UN political official urges resolution of deadlocked Middle East peace process UN News Centre 22 Aug 2012 -- Ongoing developments in the Middle East have increased the urgency of resolving the stalemate in the Arab-Israeli peace process, the United Nations political chief said.
- Israel Calls for PNA Elections to Replace Abbas RIA Novosti 22 Aug 2012 -- Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman called on the Middle East Quartet to press for new elections in the Palestinian territories.
- Attack on Palestinian Youth in Jerusalem US Dept. of State 22 Aug 2012
- Former Tajik Opposition Field Commander Killed In Badakhshan RFE/RL 22 Aug 2012 -- Several thousand people have gathered in Tajikistan's eastern Gorno-Badakhshan region to protest the latest incident of bloodshed in the area.
- UN's Kosovo Envoy Says Energized International Engagement Needed RFE/RL 22 Aug 2012 -- The United Nation's representative for Kosovo says an energized international push is necessary to help Kosovo and Serbia overcome their political impasse.
- UN's Ban Ki-moon to Visit Iran VOA 22 Aug 2012 -- The United Nations announced that UN Secretary-General Ban will attend a meeting of non-aligned nations in Iran at the end of this month.
- Abbasi: Iran to cooperate with nuclear suppliers IRNA 22 Aug 2012 -- Head of the AEOI Abbasi said Iran has plans to cooperate with suppliers of advanced technology for construction of new nuclear power plants.
- Iran Talks With IAEA Scheduled RFE/RL 22 Aug 2012 -- Atomic energy agency officials are to meet with Iranian representatives in Vienna on August 24 to discuss remaining "outstanding issues" surrounding Tehran's nuclear program.
- China biggest purchaser of Iranian crude oil IRNA 22 Aug 2012 -- China is the biggest purchaser of Iranian crude oil, Chinese customs office announced on Wednesday.
- Contract to develop Azar oilfield to be signed soon IRNA 22 Aug 2012 -- Contract to develop Azar and Changouleh oilfields will be signed with Iranian oil executives, Hamid Karimi, the project manager said.
- China Watches Burma's Censorship Reforms VOA 22 Aug 2012 -- Rapidly reforming Burma's decision to ease media censorship is being met with caution in neighboring China.
- Egyptian President To Visit U.S. In September RFE/RL 22 Aug 2012 -- Egypt's President Muhammad Morsi plans to make a three-day visit to the United States beginning September 23, his first trip there since taking power in June.
- Amnesty Urges Protection of Pakistani Girl Accused of Blasphemy VOA 22 Aug 2012 -- Amnesty International is urging the Pakistani government to ensure the safety of a Christian girl accused of violating the country's blasphemy laws.
- Amnesty Urges Islamabad To Protect Girl Charged With Blasphemy RFE/RL 22 Aug 2012 -- Amnesty International has urged Pakistan to reform its antiblasphemy laws and protect a young Christian girl arrested for allegedly burning pages with verses from the Koran.
- Hailemariam Tapped as Ethiopia’s New Leader VOA 22 Aug 2012 -- Government officials say Hailemariam Desalegn will be the next Prime Minister of Ethiopia.
- Ethiopia Prepares for New Prime Minister VOA 22 Aug 2012 -- Ethiopia's parliament is preparing to hold an emergency session to swear in the successor to the late Prime Minister Meles Zenawi, who died on Monday.
- ETHIOPIA: Food security and the Meles' legacy IRIN 22 Aug 2012 -- During his two decades in power, Meles Zenawi committed himself to ending Ethiopia’s dependence on food aid.
- Zimbabwe's Coalition Partners Disagree Over Draft Constitution VOA 22 Aug 2012 -- Zimbabwe's ruling ZANU-PF party has rejected a draft constitution submitted by a government-appointed committee.
- Kyrgyz Ruling Coalition Collapses RFE/RL 22 Aug 2012 -- Kyrgyzstan's ruling coalition has collapsed after eight months in power.
- Kyrgyz Ruling Coalition Breaks Up, Government to Resign RIA Novosti 22 Aug 2012 -- Kyrgyzstan’s governing parliamentary coalition broke up on Wednesday after two factions quit the four-party pact.
- Anti-Nuclear Demonstrators Confront Japan's PM VOA 22 Aug 2012 -- Japan's prime minister met with activists who have been organizing weekly protests in front of the prime minister's office.
- Merkel Says Closer EU Ties With Moldova Should Come 'Step-By-Step' RFE/RL 22 Aug 2012 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel has told Moldova that its European aspirations must be fulfilled gradually and called for renewed international efforts to resolve the frozen Transdniester conflict.
- Lukashenka: 'No Major Failures' In Foreign Policy RFE/RL 22 Aug 2012 -- Belarus President Alyaksandr Lukashenka said that his country has not made any major mistakes in its foreign policy.
- Russia Becomes 156th Member of WTO VOA 22 Aug 2012 -- Russia became the 156th member of the World Trade Organization, following nearly two decades of negotiations.
- Russia Becomes 156th Member Of World Trade Organization RFE/RL 22 Aug 2012 -- Russia has officially become a member of the World Trade Organization after years of negotiations.
- Kremlin Dismisses West's Pussy Riot Criticism RIA Novosti 22 Aug 2012 -- Moscow lashed out at the West over its criticism of the Pussy Riot case and the lack of freedom of artistic expression in Russia.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|