14 July 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- ISAF Condemns ‘Despicable’ Suicide-bomber Attack AFPS 14 Jul 2012 -- The International Security Assistance Force condemned today’s "senseless and cowardly" suicide-bomber attack at a wedding in Afghanistan’s northern Samangan province.
- Karzai Orders Probe into Wedding Blast VOA 14 Jul 2012 -- Afghanistan's president has ordered a probe into the suicide bombing at a wedding reception in a northern province, saying "the enemies of Afghanistan once again targeted innocent civilians."
- Suicide Bomber Kills 23 in Northern Afghanistan VOA 14 Jul 2012 -- A suicide bomber blew himself up in the middle of a wedding party in Afghanistan's northern Samangan province Saturday, killing a regional commander and 22 other people.
- Suicide Bomb Attack Kills Afghan Commander RFE/RL 14 Jul 2012 -- Authorities in northern Afghanistan say at least 17 people have been killed, including prominent ethnic Uzbek lawmaker Ahmad Khan Samangani, by a suicide bomber who posed as a guest at a wedding reception.
- Taliban Kill Mayor of Shindand RIA Novosti 14 Jul 2012 -- Taliban fighters shot dead the mayor of the Afghan city of Shindand.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Overseas extension incentives changes ahead AFNS 14 Jul 2012 -- Airmen stationed at overseas long tour locations who extend their tour Aug. 1 or later may be eligible for incentives, Air Force Personnel Center officials said.
- Enterprise Conducts Mass Casualty Drill NNS 14 Jul 2012 -- The aircraft carrier USS Enterprise (CVN 65) conducted a mass casualty drill July 13 as part of a continued commitment to mission readiness.
- VAQ-132 Begins Deployment Aboard NAF Misawa NNS 14 Jul 2012 -- Electronic Warfare Squadron (VAQ) 132 arrived at Naval Air Facility Misawa, July 14, 2012, and will begin a six-month deployment in support of U.S. 7th Fleet.
- Aerospace Forces to Carry Out First S-400 Firings RIA Novosti 14 Jul 2012 -- Russia's Aerospace Defense Forces will carry out their first test-firings of the new S-400 air defense missile system from August 10-16.
- Waging any conflict in Persian Gulf sign of West's stupidity IRNA 14 Jul 2012 -- IRGC Navy Commander Rear Admiral Ali Fadavi said on Saturday that the Islamic Republic of Iran is in full control of the Strait of Hormuz and Persian Gulf region.
- UN Takes Heat For Contracting Out Security RFE/RL 14 Jul 2012 -- Could the United Nations' use of private military and security companies actually put UN personnel at greater risk?
- Press Gaggle by Press Secretary Jay Carney Aboard Air Force One The White House 14 Jul 2012
- UN Monitors Visit Site Of Tremseh Massacre RFE/RL 14 Jul 2012 -- A UN spokeswoman says UN observers have visited the central Syrian village of Tremseh where up to 200 people were reportedly killed by government forces on July 12.
- UN Says Deadly Attack Targeted Syrian Opposition VOA 14 Jul 2012 -- United Nations observers investigating a deadly attack on a Syrian village say they have found signs that the assault targeted the homes of specific opponents of the regime.
- Still Time to Avoid Civil War in Syria – Hollande RIA Novosti 14 Jul 2012 -- There is still time to find a political solution of the Syrian crisis and avoid a civil war in the country, French President Francois Hollande said.
- Mali Poses Regional Threat, AU Says VOA 14 Jul 2012 -- The African Union Peace and Security Council says the strengthening grip of Islamist militants in northern Mali poses a serious threat to regional stability.
- At Least Five Killed In Nigeria Suicide Attack RFE/RL 14 Jul 2012 -- At least five people have been killed in a suspected suicide bomb attack outside a mosque in northeast Nigeria.
- Kidnapped Red Cross Worker Freed In Yemen RFE/RL 14 Jul 2012 -- A spokesman for the International Committee of the Red Cross says that a French Red Cross worker who was kidnapped in Yemen nearly three months ago has been released.
- Russia Condemns OSCE Report on Georgia RIA Novosti 14 Jul 2012 -- The acceptance of a report on Georgia by the Parliamentary Assembly of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe demonstrates its reluctance to recognize the new realities the Russian Foreign Ministry said.
- Tehran Confident It Can Circumvent EU Oil Embargo RFE/RL 14 Jul 2012 -- The Iranian Oil Ministry says it has developed plans designed to ensure that tightened sanctions against Iranian oil exports will be ineffective.
- Background Briefing En Route to Cairo US Dept. of State 14 Jul 2012
- Clinton Reaffirms Support for Egyptian Transition VOA 14 Jul 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is in Cairo, where she met with President Mohamed Morsi to discuss Egypt's economy and regional security.
- Washington Backs Egypt’s Democratic Transition – Clinton RIA Novosti 14 Jul 2012 -- The United States supports Egypt’s transition to democracy but Egyptians themselves should decide on their future, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said.
- U.S. Official Anticipates Close Relations With Tripoli RFE/RL 14 Jul 2012 -- U.S. Deputy Secretary of State William Burns was in the Libyan capital for security talks following the country's historic elections.
- Turkish Police Clash with Kurdish Protesters VOA 14 Jul 2012 -- Police in southeastern Turkey used tear gas and water cannons to drive back Kurdish protesters hurling stones at them Saturday, at a rally in support of a Kurdish militant leader.
- At Least 10 Police Officers Injured In Turkish Bomb Attack RFE/RL 14 Jul 2012 -- At least 10 police officers have been injured by a roadside-bomb explosion in eastern Turkey.
- Chavez Says Election Loss May Spark Civil War in Venezuela RIA Novosti 14 Jul 2012 -- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said that a civil war could break out in the country if he loses presidential elections in October.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|