07 April 2012 Military News
- Marine engineers improve road for local village USMC News 07 Apr 2012 -- As Afghanistan continues to transition into a stronger, Afghan-led country, Marines continue to do their part by leaving things better than they found them.
- Marine Air-Ground Task Force Support Battalion 11.2 relinquishes authority in Afghanistan USMC News 07 Apr 2012 -- After a successful deployment providing logistical support to Regional Command Southwest, Marine Air-Ground Task Force Support Battalion 11.2, 1st Marine Logistics Group (Forward), relinquished their responsibilities to 1st Maintenance Battalion (-) Reinforced, 1st MLG (Fwd) during a transfer of authority ceremony at Camp Leatherneck, Afghanistan, April 3.
- Supply Management Unit supports operational needs across Helmand Province USMC News 07 Apr 2012 -- The Supply Management Unit aboard Camp Leatherneck, Afghanistan, acts as the intermediary between units across Regional Command Southwest and the sources of supply for Marine Corps organizations.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Seawolf Completes Sea Trials after Maintenance Period at PSNS NNS 07 Apr 2012 -- The attack submarine USS Seawolf (SSN 21) returned to its homeport of Naval Base Kitsap April 3, after successful sea trials, capping a major maintenance period which lasted more than two years.
- Iwo Jima ARG Enters 6th Fleet, a First for USS New York NNS 07 Apr 2012 -- The Iwo Jima Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) with embarked 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) entered U.S. 6th Fleet's Area of Responsibility (AOR) April 4.
- Russia to Conduct Inspection Mission Over the United States RIA Novosti 07 Apr 2012 -- A group of Russian military observers will carry out an inspection mission over the United States under the Open Skies Treaty on April 8-16, the Russian Defense Ministry said.
- Russian Military Satellite Falls in Pacific RIA Novosti 07 Apr 2012 -- Fragments of a defunct Russian military communication satellite, Molniya-1-89, fell into the Pacific Ocean on Saturday night, a source from the space agency said.
- Iranian Navy saves Chinese cargo ship from pirates IRNA 07 Apr 2012 -- Deputy Commander of the Iranian Navy Rear Admiral Gholam-Reza Khadem Bigham said on Saturday that the Iranian naval forces successfully saved a Chinese cargo ship from pirates in the Oman Sea.
- Indian Navy plans to procure 75 'Multirole' helicopter IRNA 07 Apr 2012 -- In one of the world's largest tenders for multirole helicopters, the Indian Navy is planning to procure more than 75 such choppers at an estimated cost of over USD four billion to meet the demand of its expanding area of operations.
- Yemen Fires Former President's Half-Brother in Military Shake-Up VOA 07 Apr 2012 -- Loyalists to a Yemeni military chief who was fired by President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi forced officials to close the main airport on Saturday, after the loyalists threatened to shoot down planes.
- Syrian Violence Continues As UN Cease-Fire Deadline Nears RFE/RL 07 Apr 2012 -- Syrian activists say at least 43 people have been killed in violence in Syria, just days before a cease-fire is to go into effect.
- UN Chief Blasts Syrian Regime for Continuing Violence RIA Novosti 07 Apr 2012 -- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has condemned the Syrian authorities for new military attacks on opposition forces, which reportedly killed dozens of people in the past two days.
- Ban condemns latest escalation of violence in Syria UN News Centre 07 Apr 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon condemned the latest escalation of violence in Syria despite the Government's commitments to withdraw troops, and called on authorities to immediately cease all military action against the Syrian people.
- More than 100 Dead in Syria Ahead of Peace Deadline VOA 07 Apr 2012 -- At least 100 people were reported killed across Syria Saturday, as government forces pounded opposition strongholds three days ahead of a deadline to halt all military action.
- Army launches operation to rescue trapped soldiers: spokesman IRNA 07 Apr 2012 -- Army has launched operation to rescue soldiers, buried in an avalanche in northern Pakistan, spokesman said on Saturday.
- Army recovers dead bodies of soldiers killed by avalanche IRNA 07 Apr 2012 -- Army rescue teams have recovered some dead bodies of Pakistani soldiers, who were buried in an avalanche in northern Pakistan, army said on Saturday.
- More Than 100 Pakistani Soldiers Buried In Avalanche RFE/RL 07 Apr 2012 -- The Pakistani Army has confirmed that more than 100 Pakistani soldiers have been buried by an avalanche in the disputed Kashmir region.
- Avalanche Buries More Than 117 Pakistani Soldiers VOA 07 Apr 2012 -- In Pakistan, rescue efforts are underway following an avalanche that smashed into a military base that buried more than 117 soldiers early Saturday on a Himalayan glacier along the India border. Rescue workers are racing against time to find survivors in this harsh climate and remote location.
- Mali Junta Agrees to Return Nation to Civilian Rule VOA 07 Apr 2012 -- In Mali, the soldiers who seized power in a coup two weeks ago have agreed to step down as part of an agreement with the regional bloc ECOWAS. Under the accord, which includes amnesty for junta members, ECOWAS will lift harsh economic sanctions.
- Russia Plans to Launch Lunar Rovers to Moon after 2020 RIA Novosti 07 Apr 2012 -- Russia plans to send two lunar rovers to Moon after 2020 and a landing station after 2022 as the first steps to form the future manned lunar base there, the country's Academy of Sciences said in its report on Saturday.
- Russia Plans to Bind Satellite to Apophis Asteroid RIA Novosti 07 Apr 2012 -- Russia plans to send a satellite with a radio beacon to near-Earth asteroid of 99942 Apophis for finding out how big is a threat of its collision with Earth, the country's Academy of Sciences said in its report on Saturday.
- MP advises Group 5+1 to adopt policy of cooperation IRNA 07 Apr 2012 -- Head of Majlis National Security and Foreign Policy Commission advised Group 5+1 to change its policy of confrontation and adopt a policy of interaction, instead.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|