27 February 2012 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 27 Feb 2012 [PDF]
- DOD News Briefing with George Little and Capt. Kirby via Teleconference from Afghanistan DoD 27 Feb 2012
- Coalition, Afghans Work Together to Capture Insurgents AFPS 27 Feb 2012 -- Coalition and Afghan forces have worked together throughout Afghanistan in recent days, capturing several insurgent leaders.
- Aghan forces lead air assault for first time Army News 27 Feb 2012 -- Coalition forces have moved forward into a mentoring role while conducting joint combat missions.
- Elite Afghan police uncover Taliban weapons and drugs UK MOD 27 Feb 2012 -- Elite Afghan policemen from Helmand's Provincial Response Company uncovered a huge stash of weapons and drugs.
- White House Says Afghan Commitment Remains Strong RFE/RL 27 Feb 2012 -- U.S. President Barack Obama's administration says it has no plans to accelerate the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan.
- Pentagon: Protests Won't Alter Afghan Strategy VOA 27 Feb 2012 -- The U.S. military says it remains committed to its mission in Afghanistan, despite violence that was triggered by the reported burning of Qurans on a U.S. military base.
- Officials Reaffirm Commitment to Afghan Strategy AFPS 27 Feb 2012 -- The rioting and killings that have followed the accidental burning of Qurans by coalition personnel will not change the NATO strategy in Afghanistan.
- UN temporarily relocates staff from northern Afghan office after attack UN News Centre 27 Feb 2012 -- The United Nations said it is relocating international staff from its office in the northern province of Kunduz.
- Suicide Attack Kills 9 Amid Protests in Afghanistan VOA 27 Feb 2012 -- At least nine people have been killed by a suicide car bomb attack near a regional airport in Jalalabad, according to Afghan police.
- Nine Killed In Jalalabad Airport Bombing RFE/RL 27 Feb 2012 -- Nine people were killed in a car-bomb explosion at the airport in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad.
- Republican Candidates Say Afghans Should Apologize RFE/RL 27 Feb 2012 -- News that Korans and other Islamic religious materials were burned by U.S. troops at the Bagram military base earlier this month sparked angry protests in several Afghan provinces.
- NATO Rejects Taliban Claims That It Poisoned Food At Military Base RFE/RL 27 Feb 2012 -- The Taliban has claimed that one of its militants has infiltrated an international military base in eastern Afghanistan and poisoned food supplies at the facility.
- Navy Seabees Pave Way for US, Allied Forces NNS 27 Feb 2012 -- Seabees deployed to Afghanistan are undertaking projects to repair and improve large stretches of roads in Helmand Province which will greatly increase the maneuverability of U.S. and allied forces in the region.
- New First Army Mission Army News 27 Feb 2012 -- Soldiers from First Army units located across the United States began preparations in January to deploy to Afghanistan as a part of a new mission.
- MWHS-2 Marines returns from long deployment USMC News 27 Feb 2012 -- More than 90 Marines and Sailors with Marine Wing Headquarters Squadron 2 returned to Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point after completing a year-long deployment in Helmand province, Afghanistan.
- Russia to Help Rebuild Afghanistan – Putin RIA Novosti 27 Feb 2012 -- Russia will help Afghanistan develop its economy and strengthen its military to fight terrorism and drug production, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin wrotey.
- AFGHANISTAN: Increased pressure on refugees to leave Pakistan IRIN 27 Feb 2012 -- The Pakistani army and intelligence service are increasingly harassing Afghan migrants and refugees living in Pakistan’s tribal border area.
- AFGHANISTAN: Bracing for mass evictions from Pakistan IRIN 27 Feb 2012 -- The Afghan government and international aid workers are bracing for an imminent deportation from Pakistan of thousands of Afghan migrants and unregistered refugees.
- AFGHANISTAN-PAKISTAN: Timeline of Afghan displacements into Pakistan IRIN 27 Feb 2012 -- A new push to find durable solutions for Afghan refugees faces many challenges, including the continued flow of Afghans into Pakistan and questions around Pakistan’s willingness to continue hosting them.
- Pakistan Completes Demolition of Bin Laden's Hideout VOA 27 Feb 2012 -- Pakistani authorities have finished destroying the compound where U.S. special forces killed al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden last May.
- DOD Identifies Army Casualty DoD 27 Feb 2012
Defense Policy / Programs
- War Games Begin on Tense Korean Peninsula VOA 27 Feb 2012 -- South Korea and the United States have begun an annual, routine military exercise involving thousands of personnel.
- U.S., South Korea Begin Joint Large-Scale Drills RIA Novosti 27 Feb 2012 -- The United States and South Korea began the annual military exercises on Monday despite ongoing threats from North Korea.
- KCNA Commentary on S. Korea-U.S. Joint Military Drills KCNA 27 Feb 2012 -- The U.S. and the south Korean forces finally kicked off Key Resolve and Foal Eagle joint military drills.
- DPRK Is Fully Ready for Dialogue and War KCNA 27 Feb 2012 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK in a statement denounced the U.S. and south Korea for starting provocative military exercises.
- DOD Announces Recruiting and Retention Numbers for Fiscal 2012, Through January DoD 27 Feb 2012
- Panetta, Portuguese Defense Minister Discuss Common Challenges AFPS 27 Feb 2012 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta met with Portuguese Defense Minister Jose Pedro Aguiar-Branco to discuss a range of common challenges.
- Army battles IEDs with home station CI2C cells Army News 27 Feb 2012 -- One of the most valuable training regimens a unit goes through before deploying to Afghanistan is a rotation at Fort Polk's Joint Readiness Training Center.
- Depot Completes 3,000th General Electric T-701D Conversion Engine Army News 27 Feb 2012 -- Corpus Christ Army Depot with partner, General Electric, celebrated the completion of the 3,000th T701D conversion engine overhaul with a small cake cutting ceremony in the Engine Test Cell area on February 23, 2012.
- Army works with industry, academia to study micro-robotics Army News 27 Feb 2012 -- Imagine a future when American Soldiers will see threats lurking just beyond their vision with help from autonomous robots the size of bats and hummingbirds and even down to the size of a fruit fly.
- New Prowler simulator allows pilots to train like they fight USMC News 27 Feb 2012 -- Marines and civilians held a celebration marking the first day of the now fully operational EA-6B Prowler simulator at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, N.C., Feb. 22.
- USNS Grapple Stops in Guantanamo Bay NNS 27 Feb 2012 -- Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit 2, Company 2-1, and the crew of the Military Sealift Command rescue and salvage ship USNS Grapple, made a quick stop in Guantanamo Bay, Feb. 21.
- HSV-2 Swift NCIS Partners with Haitian Security Authority Port Nationals NNS 27 Feb 2012 -- Haitian Authority Port Nationals participated in a recognition ceremony upon the completion of their subject matter expert exchange in Cap-Haitian, Haiti.
- DOD and VA Secretaries Meet at Pentagon DoD 27 Feb 2012
- Deployment of Adenovirus Vaccine Army News 27 Feb 2012 -- Adenovirus Type 4 and Type 7 Vaccine, Live, Oral (Adenovirus Vaccine) has been used since Oct. 24, 2011.
- Largest Arms Sales List Includes 11 Russian Firms RIA Novosti 27 Feb 2012 -- Eleven Russian firms are included in a rating of the world's largest arms-producing companies.
- Russia to Address Illegal Production of Russian Arms RIA Novosti 27 Feb 2012 -- The Russian government is planning to take serious measures to fight counterfeit production of Russian weaponry in foreign countries.
- Russia to Conduct Inspection Flights over Italy RIA Novosti 27 Feb 2012 -- A plane carrying Russian military observers will make a series of inspection flights over Italy under the Open Skies Treaty on February 27-March 2.
- Russian Defense Minister Vows To Pay Rent For Kyrgyz Base RFE/RL 27 Feb 2012 -- Russia's defense minister says Moscow will fully pay overdue rental fees for a military facility in Kyrgyzstan by the end of February.
- Russia Pledges to Repay Debt for Kyrgyz Base RIA Novosti 27 Feb 2012 -- Russia plans to repay its $15 million debt to Kyrgyzstan for the lease of military facilities until the end of February.
- No Need For Russian Air Base Says New Kyrgyz President RIA Novosti 27 Feb 2012 -- Kyrgyz President Almazbek Atambayev has called for a Russian air base in the country to be closed, saying neither Russia or Kyrgyzstan need it.
- Russia, Norway to Conduct Joint Naval Drills in May RIA Novosti 27 Feb 2012 -- The Russian Northern Fleet and the Norwegian Navy will conduct the Pomor-2012 joint drills in the Arctic in May.
- NATO’s Special Forces Network NATO 27 Feb 2012 -- The skills and expertise of Special Forces are valuable assets to NATO operations.
- HMS Somerset welcomed home from counter-piracy mission UK MOD 27 Feb 2012 -- Family and friends greeted their loved ones on the jetty at HM Naval Base Devonport in Plymouth when HMS Somerset returned from a six-month counter-piracy mission.
- Israel Sells Drones, Missiles To Azerbaijan RFE/RL 27 Feb 2012 -- Israeli defense officials on February 26 confirmed a deal to sell Azerbaijan drones, antiaircraft, and missile defense systems for some $1.6 billion.
- Tbilisi Unveils New Fighting Vehicle RIA Novosti 27 Feb 2012 -- The Georgian Defense Ministry has unveiled a domestically designed and produced infantry fighting vehicle (IFV) at the Vasiani military testing grounds.
- Taiwan denies suspension of military exchange with with Singapore CNA 27 Feb 2012 -- The defense ministry said that Taiwan maintains stable ties with Singapore.
- Defense industry to unveil latest achievements next week IRNA 27 Feb 2012 -- Minister of Defense and Armed Forces Logistics Brigadier-General Ahmad Vahidi said that national defense industry will unveil latest achievements including warplanes and passenger planes next week.
- Small boat's passengers rescued in Persian Gulf waters IRNA 27 Feb 2012 -- Hormuzgan naval rescue team managed to rescue passengers of small boat which was caught in bad weather in the Persian Gulf waters.
- Gulf of Guinea needs regional anti-piracy strategy, UN official stresses UN News Centre 27 Feb 2012 -- A comprehensive regional strategy is critical if countries are to successfully combat piracy in the Gulf of Guinea.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney, 2/27/12 The White House 27 Feb 2012
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, February 27, 2012 US Dept. of State 27 Feb 2012
- DoD News: Contracts for February 27, 2012
- Boeing B-1 Bomber Completes 10,000th Combat Mission Boeing 27 Feb 2012 -- The Boeing B-1 bomber aircraft has completed its 10,000th combat mission. The heavy bomber entered service with the U.S. Air Force on June 29, 1985, and has been in nearly continuous combat for the past 10 years.
- CASSIDIAN to support medical evacuation missions in Afghanistan EADS 27 Feb 2012 -- Cassidian will support the Forward Air Medical Evacuation (FwdAirMedEvac) mission carried out with NH90 helicopters of the German Army in the evacuation of ill and injured persons.
- Northrop Grumman BAMS Unmanned Aircraft System Program Achieves Two Major Milestones Northrop Grumman 27 Feb 2012 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation has commenced flight tests of the first developmental multifunction active sensor (MFAS) radar destined for the U.S. Navy's MQ-4C Broad Area Maritime Surveillance Unmanned Aircraft System (BAMS UAS).
- Sagem wins maintenance contract for Sperwer drones deployed by French army Sagem (Safran group) 27 Feb 2012 -- Sagem (Safran group) has just signed a contract with SIMMAD (1), on behalf of the French Ministry of Defense, to provide in-service maintenance for the Sperwer SDTI tactical drone systems deployed by the French army.
- Think Tank Names Lockheed Martin World’s Largest Arms Producer RIA Novosti 27 Feb 2012 -- Stockholm International Peace Research Institute named U.S. Lockheed Martin the biggest arms vendor in 2010, with sales totalling $35.7 billion.
- Lockheed Martin Delivers Second AEHF Satellite To U.S. Air Force For Upcoming Launch Lockheed Martin 27 Feb 2012 -- Lockheed Martin today announced that it has delivered the second Advanced Extremely High Frequency (AEHF) military communications satellite to Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla., where it will be readied for an April 2012 liftoff aboard an Atlas V launch vehicle.
- Raytheon's US Air Force Satellite Terminal Achieves Two Critical Milestones Raytheon 27 Feb 2012 -- Raytheon Company's U.S. Air Force satellite terminal system that provides protected communications to warfighters has received a successful Milestone C decision and subsequent production award.
- CACI Awarded $20 Million Contract to Support Safety and Health for Transportation Security Administration CACI 27 Feb 2012 -- CACI International Inc announced today that it has been awarded a $20 million prime contract to provide Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) Support Services to the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 27 February 2012 United Nations 27 Feb 2012
- Red Crescent Evacuates Three Wounded Syrians from Homs VOA 27 Feb 2012 -- The International Committee of the Red Cross says Syrian aid workers have evacuated several people from a Homs neighborhood.
- Syria Tops Agenda at UN Rights Council VOA 27 Feb 2012 -- The crisis in Syria is topping the agenda at the United Nations Human Rights Council, which began a month-long session in Geneva.
- EU Toughens Sanctions Against Syria VOA 27 Feb 2012 -- The European Union has slapped new sanctions on Syria, targeting government officials and the country's central bank.
- Syria Says Voters Back New Constitution, Fresh Violence Kills 10 VOA 27 Feb 2012 -- Government announced that Syrian voters overwhelmingly approved a new constitution.
- New Syrian Constitution Approved RIA Novosti 27 Feb 2012 -- Nearly 90 percent of voters supported Syria’s new constitution meant to end decades of one-party rule.
- Juppe: Assad Regime Will Face Justice RFE/RL 27 Feb 2012 -- French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe says the day is coming when Syrian President Bashar al-Assad will face justice for crimes against Syria's population.
- EU Tightens Syria Sanctions RIA Novosti 27 Feb 2012 -- European Union foreign ministers agreed on Monday new sanctions against Syria, including a freeze on assets of the country's central bank and ban on cargo flights into the EU.
- Friends of Syria Meeting 'Fails to Foster Dialogue' - Russia RIA Novosti 27 Feb 2012 -- The "Friends of Syria" conference held in Tunisia over the weekend was "unilateral" and did not stimulate peaceful dialogue in the country.
- No “Libyan scenario” for Syria – Putin RIA Novosti 27 Feb 2012 -- Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin warned against a “Libyan scenario” in Syria, saying West-backed military intervention would not bring democracy to this Arab country.
- YEMEN: Challenges aplenty for new president IRIN 27 Feb 2012 -- Yemen’s new president, Abdu Rabu Masour Hadi, will have his work cut out to ensure the county’s unity and stability.
- Yemen President Officially Steps Down After 33 Years In Power RFE/RL 27 Feb 2012 -- Yemen's President Ali Abdullah Saleh has officially stepped down after more than 30 years in power in the Arabian Peninsula country.
- Christian Youths Kill 2 Muslims In Nigeria Church Bombing Revenge VOA 27 Feb 2012 -- The radical Nigerian Islamist sect Boko Haram says it bombed a Christian church Sunday in Jos, killing three people and wounding dozens more.
- Northerners in Mali Denounce Separatist Bid, Mobilize for Peace VOA 27 Feb 2012 -- People from northern Mali are mobilizing to help families affected by the fighting between government forces and Tuareg separatists.
- 500 other MKO members to be expelled from Camp Ashraf ISNA 27 Feb 2012 -- Five hundred other members of Mujahedin-e Khalq are going to be expelled from Camp Ashraf in coming days.
- Iraq: UN envoy hails electoral commission for promoting democracy UN News Centre 27 Feb 2012 -- The United Nations top envoy in Iraq underlined the central role played by the country’s electoral commission.
- Bomb Kills 6 in NW Pakistan VOA 27 Feb 2012 -- Pakistani officials say at least six people were killed and more than 14 others wounded after a bomb planted on a parked motorcycle exploded in the country's volatile northwest.
- Bomb Kills Five At Political Rally In Northwest Pakistan RFE/RL 27 Feb 2012 -- Police in Pakistan say at least five people have been killed and 15 others wounded in a bomb explosion at a political rally.
- Tense conditions prevail in Libyan town after deadly ethnic clashes – UN UN News Centre 27 Feb 2012 -- The situation remains tense in the south-eastern Libyan town of Kufra.
- UGANDA: DRC refugee influx stretching camp facilities IRIN 27 Feb 2012 -- An influx of refugees fleeing a mix of increased post-election related violence and continued militia activity in parts of eastern Democratic Republic of Congo is stretching the capacity of refugee camps in western Uganda.
- Six Alleged Serbian Interior Ministry Members Arrested In Kosovo RFE/RL 27 Feb 2012 -- The European Union mission in Kosovo says six suspected operatives of Serbia's Interior Ministry have been arrested in Kosovo.
- France Says EU States To Award Serbia Candidacy RFE/RL 27 Feb 2012 -- French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe says the European Union is set to give Serbia candidate status this week.
- Azerbaijanis, Turks Protest Khojaly Killings RFE/RL 27 Feb 2012 -- Two dozen Azerbaijani and Turkish protesters gathered outside the Armenian Mission near the UN on February 27 to mark the 20th anniversary of Azerbaijan's war with Armenia over the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh.
- UN tribunal transfers another genocide case to Rwandan authorities UN News Centre 27 Feb 2012 -- The UN tribunal trying key suspects implicated in the 1994 genocide in Rwanda has transferred to Rwandan authorities the case of Fulgence Kayishema, an indicted former police inspector who remains at large.
- UN-backed court for Sierra Leone appoints Kenyan jurist as appeals judge UN News Centre 27 Feb 2012 -- The United Nations-backed court set up to try suspects indicted for war crimes in Sierra Leone announced the appointment of Philip Waki of Kenya to serve as an alternate judge in its appeals chamber.
- Turkey Seeks to Be International Mediation Center VOA 27 Feb 2012 -- The Turkish foreign minister is seeking to make Istanbul a center for mediation in resolving international crises.
- Thai Police Question Three More Iranians Over Bomb Plot RFE/RL 27 Feb 2012 -- Thai police say they have begun questioning three more Iranians in connection with an alleged plot to kill Israeli diplomats in Bangkok.
- Iran requires IAEA to sign Modality prior to access to sites IRNA 27 Feb 2012 -- Iran required the International Atomic Energy Agency to sign Modality to resolve outstanding issues prior to access to Iranian sites.
- Salehi: Sanctions cannot affect Iran’s progress IRNA 27 Feb 2012 -- Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said on Monday sanction can not affect Iran’s progress and development.
- Moscow Urges Iran to Respond to IAEA Concerns RIA Novosti 27 Feb 2012 -- Russia expects Iran to answer all existing questions from the International Atomic Energy Agency over its controversial nuclear program.
- Iran strike would be ‘catastrophic’: Putin RIA Novosti 27 Feb 2012 -- Russia is troubled by the growing threat of a military strike on Iran, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said.
- Senegal Election Observers Await Possible 2nd Vote VOA 27 Feb 2012 -- After Sunday's presidential election, Senegal is likely headed to a second-round runoff between incumbent President Abdoulaye Wade and Macky Sall.
- Senegal's Wade Confident of a Reelection Win VOA 27 Feb 2012 -- Senegalese President Abdoulaye Wade says he has not ruled out the possibility of victory in a first round of presidential vote held Sunday, following weeks of protests calling his candidacy is unconstitutional.
- Côte d'Ivoire: UN envoy deplores violent post-election incidents UN News Centre 27 Feb 2012 -- The top United Nations official in Côte d'Ivoire strongly condemned two separate attacks against electoral authorities following this weekend’s legislative by-elections.
- Liberian Opposition Party Expels Leader VOA 27 Feb 2012 -- The Executive Committee of the Liberian opposition National Union for Democratic Progress party announced it has expelled Senator Prince Y. Johnson as the political leader and member of the party.
- 'Foiled Murder Plot' Raises Eyebrows Among Putin Critics RFE/RL 27 Feb 2012 -- Russian media are abuzz with reports that secret services have foiled a plan to murder Vladimir Putin.
- Alleged Plot To Kill Putin Foiled RFE/RL 27 Feb 2012 -- Security forces in Russia and Ukraine say they have thwarted a plot to assassinate Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin.
- FACTBOX: Assassination Plots Against Vladimir Putin RIA Novosti 27 Feb 2012 -- Russian and Ukrainian special services have arrested a group of suspects over a plot to assassinate Prime Minister Vladimir Putin.
- Putin Assassination Plot Details Uncovered RIA Novosti 27 Feb 2012 -- The Russian Federal Security Service confirmed on Monday that it had received information about a “terrorist attack” plotted against “Russia’s leadership.”
- EU Plans Fresh Sanctions Against Belarusian Officials RFE/RL 27 Feb 2012 -- European Union officials say privately that the EU is planning fresh sanctions against Belarus.
- Final Optical Components on Northrop Grumman-Built James Webb Space Telescope Complete Integration Milestone, Begin Test Series Northrop Grumman 27 Feb 2012 -- The auxiliary mirrors that focus the light from the primary mirror into the science instruments on NASA's James Webb Space Telescope have been integrated into the aft-optics subsystem (AOS) by Northrop Grumman Corporation teammate Ball Aerospace and are ready for the next level of testing.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|