15 February 2012 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 15 Feb 2012 [PDF]
- DOD Identifies Modified Brigade Combat Teams for Deployment as Security Force Assistance Teams to Afghanistan DoD 15 Feb 2012
- Force Captures Haqqani Network Leader AFPS 15 Feb 2012 -- An Afghan-led and coalition-supported security force captured a Haqqani network leader in the Bak district of Afghanistan’s Khost province.
- NATO Confirms Recent Airstrike Killed 8 Afghan Civilians VOA 15 Feb 2012 -- NATO-led forces in Afghanistan have offered condolences for eight young Afghan men killed in an airstrike last week in the eastern part of the country.
- NATO Regrets Deaths Of Eight Youths RFE/RL 15 Feb 2012 -- The U.S.-led NATO force in Afghanistan says it regrets that eight young Afghan males were killed in a NATO air strike in the northeastern province of Kapisa on February 8.
- Afghanistan's Postwar Future Uncertain VOA 15 Feb 2012 -- Even as the fighting still rages in Afghanistan, some preliminary talks have been taking place between U.S. and Taliban representatives.
- Air Force, Navy officers help develop Afghan hospital project AFNS 15 Feb 2012 -- A groundbreaking ceremony kicked off the construction of a new hospital near Shindand Air Base, Afghanistan, Jan. 28.
- 2nd MLG transfers authority to 1st MLG (FWD) in Helmand USMC News 15 Feb 2012 -- 2nd MLG transferred authority of all logistical responsibilities in Regional Command Southwest during a ceremony aboard Camp Leatherneck, Afghanistan, Feb. 15.
- Ceremony hails troops after yearlong deployment Army News 15 Feb 2012 -- More than 80 members of the Maryland Army National Guard Headquarters Aviation Depot Maintenance Roundout Unit assembled at Aberdeen Proving Ground Feb. 4 for a Freedom Salute Ceremony.
- Pakistan's U.S. Envoy Says Relationship 'Burdened' By Too Many Expectations RFE/RL 15 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan's new ambassador to the US says relations between Washington and Islamabad are "burdened by too many expectations" and have become overly emotional.
- Pakistani at Guantanamo Charged With Supporting Terror VOA 15 Feb 2012 -- The U.S. Defense Department has charged a detained Pakistani national with helping al-Qaida plan terrorist attacks.
- U.S. Captive Charged With Trying To Kill Musharraf RFE/RL 15 Feb 2012 -- A Pakistani man detained at the U.S. prison for terrorist suspects at Guantanamo Bay has been charged with plotting to assassinate former Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf.
- Mission becomes battle for treasure Army News 15 Feb 2012 -- Marine Reserve Col. Matthew Bogdanos is very much like a tour guide, taking his audiences on a journey deep into ancient history.
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S. Mulls Steep Nuclear Arsenal Cuts RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2012 -- The White House and Pentagon are considering several proposals that would significantly reduce the nation’s nuclear arsenal.
- Panetta Asks Congress to Undo Sequestration, Approve BRAC AFPS 15 Feb 2012 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta urged Congress to undo an automatic $500 billion cut to defense spending due to go into effect next year.
- DOD Leaders: Budget Request Supports Adaptable Future Force AFPS 15 Feb 2012 -- The Pentagon’s fiscal 2013 budget request follows the defense strategy in shaping an adaptable, rapidly deployable military force with key 21st-century capabilities.
- Military Will Remain Ready, Capable Force, Budget Official Says AFPS 15 Feb 2012 -- The strategy-based budget proposal sent to Congress earlier this week will help to maintain the world’s finest fighting force capable of defeating any adversary, the Pentagon’s top budget official said yesterday.
- U.S. Defense Chief Defends Smaller Budget To Congress RFE/RL 15 Feb 2012 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has told members of Congress that President Barack Obama's proposed smaller defense budget won't compromise U.S. military superiority around the world.
- Nation's budget affects future of aviation Army News 15 Feb 2012 -- Two of Redstone Arsenal's aviation leaders emphasized the need to move forward with aviation goals, adapting and changing to accommodate Army needs and budget constraints.
- Navy Names Five New Ships DoD 15 Feb 2012
- Panetta Welcomes Chinese Vice President to Pentagon AFPS 15 Feb 2012 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta welcomed Chinese Vice President Xi Jinping to the Pentagon with full military honors.
- Navy, Marine Corps Publish 'Naval Aviation Vision, January 2012' NNS 15 Feb 2012 -- The Naval Aviation Enterprise announced Feb. 15 the latest Naval Aviation Vision book is now available.
- AFSPC commander addresses maturing cyberspace domain AFNS 15 Feb 2012 -- The Air Force Space Command commander highlighted space and cyberspace superiority, acquisition strategies and industry partnerships.
- Bold Alligator 2012 confirms capabilities of 2nd MAW aviation USMC News 15 Feb 2012 -- During Exercise Bold Alligator 2012, every aspect of Marine aviation was used in the full range of air operations to showcase the advantages of seabasing.
- Warfare Center, Development Command Strengthen Training with 'Bold' New Look NNS 15 Feb 2012 -- The Naval Surface Warfare Center Corona completed its training range support for Exercise Bold Alligator 2012.
- 'Best Kept Secret In The Army' Army News 15 Feb 2012 -- The commander of the Aviation and Missile Command's Corpus Christi Army Depot, Texas, made appearances to tout the accomplishments of the only functional aviation depot within the Department of Defense.
- SMDC successfully launches short range ballistic target Army News 15 Feb 2012 -- The U.S. Army Space and Missile Defense Command/Army Forces Strategic Command successfully completed a test flight of the new Economical Target-1.
- USS Mason Upgraded with New Chemical Agent Detection Capability NNS 15 Feb 2012 -- A new automated chemical warfare agent detection capability successfully passed operational tests aboard USS Mason.
- NMCB 3 Relieves NMCB 5 of AFRICOM and EUCOM Seabee Operations NNS 15 Feb 2012 -- Seabees from Naval Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB) 3 relieved NMCB 5 of all Seabee construction responsibilities in Europe and Africa, during a formal ceremony, Feb. 14.
- Africa Partnership Station 2012 begins NNS 15 Feb 2012 -- Sailors and coast guardsmen from several African nations are gathered in Lagos, Nigeria, to participate in the start of Africa Partnership Station 2012.
- Russia Would Use Nukes to Stave Off Threats - General Staff RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2012 -- Russia would use nuclear weapons in response to any imminent threat to its national security.
- Russia May Set Up Defense Research Agency RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2012 -- The Russian government will submit a proposal to the parliament on the establishment of an advanced military research agency.
- Russian Arms Exports in 2011 Total $13.2 Bln RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2012 -- Russia sold $13.2 billion worth of weaponry to foreign customers in 2011, head of the Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation Mikhail Dmitriyev said.
- Russia, Vietnam to Jointly Manufacture Anti-Ship Missiles RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2012 -- Russia and Vietnam are planning to start in 2012 joint production of a modified anti-ship missile.
- Joint press point with the NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen and President Ilham Aliyev of Azerbaijan NATO 15 Feb 2012
- Press briefing by the NATO Spokesperson, Oana Lungescu NATO 15 Feb 2012
- New training pushes RAF pilots faster and further UK MOD 15 Feb 2012 -- In a move which is predicted to revolutionise RAF flying training, 4 (Reserve) Squadron, based at RAF Valley, is gearing up for its first student course in April 2012.
- Last training on the Navy's Merlin Mk1 helicopter UK MOD 15 Feb 2012 -- The final batch of Merlin aircrew are now completing years of arduous training off the Cornish coast on the Merlin Mk1 helicopter before the Fleet Air Arm gets the next-generation version of the helicopter.
- India, Saudi Arabia to augment defence cooperation IRNA 15 Feb 2012 -- India and Saudi Arabia have decided to set up a joint committee on defence cooperation to work out the contours of the relationship and give a boost to military ties between the two nations.
- Taiwan MND denies minister made 'secret visit' to Singapore CNA 15 Feb 2012 -- A recent visit by Defense Minister Kao Hua-chu to Singapore was to attend a large-scale air show there.
- Kinmen to step up patrols against intrusions by Chinese boats CNA 15 Feb 2012 -- Coast patrol authorities in Kinmen, one of Taiwan's outlying islands, said they plan to strengthen their patrol of the island's coastline.
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, February 15, 2012 US Dept. of State 15 Feb 2012
- DoD News: Contracts for February 15, 2012
- Lockheed Martin’s Fighting Falcon Evolves With New F-16V Lockheed Martin 15 Feb 2012 -- Lockheed Martin unveiled a new version of the F-16 today at the Singapore Airshow.
- U.S. Marine Corps to Receive More Than 200 Oshkosh LVSRs Oshkosh 15 Feb 2012 -- Oshkosh Defense, a division of Oshkosh Corporation, will deliver more than 140 Logistics Vehicle System Replacement (LVSR) cargo trucks and nearly 70 LVSR tractors for the U.S. Marine Corps following an order from the U.S. Marine Corps Systems Command.
- Sikorsky Aerospace Services Announces the Signing of a Basic Ordering Agreement with the Brunei Ministry of Defence Sikorsky 15 Feb 2012 -- Sikorsky Aerospace Services today announced the signing of a Basic Ordering Agreement (BOA) with the Brunei Ministry of Defence as part of Sikorsky’s recent overarching sales contract to provide 12 S-70i™ BLACK HAWK helicopters to the Royal Brunei Air Force (RBAF).
- Thales delivers vehicle intercom systems for Brazilian Army Thales 15 Feb 2012 -- Thales, through its fully owned subsidiary Omnisys, a Brazilian technology company based in São Bernardo do Campo, has delivered the first batch of SOTAS intercom systems to equip Brazilian Army Urutu vehicles for missions in Haiti, VBTP-MR Guarani and M113 armoured personnel carriers.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 15 February 2012 United Nations 15 Feb 2012
- ECOWAS Meets on West Africa Issues VOA 15 Feb 2012 -- The Economic Community of West African States meets to discuss regional security and politics in its 15 member states.
- Syrian Doctors Accuse Government of War Crimes VOA 15 Feb 2012 -- The United Nations says violence surrounding anti-government uprisings there left at least 5,400 people dead last year.
- France Presses For New UN Resolution on Syria VOA 15 Feb 2012 -- France is pushing to renegotiate a United Nations resolution on ending the violence in Syria.
- Moscow May Support New UN Resolution on Syria – Lavrov RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2012 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Moscow may support a projected UN Security Council resolution.
- Russia Calls on Syrian Opposition to Talks with Authorities RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2012 -- Demands to change the regime in Syria is a direct road that would increase the number of human lives.
- Syrian President Sets February 26 Constitutional Referendum VOA 15 Feb 2012 -- Syria's state news agency says President Bashar al-Assad has set a February 26 national referendum on a new constitution.
- Assad Orders Referendum On New Syrian Constitution RFE/RL 15 Feb 2012 -- Syria's state-run news agency says President Bashar al-Assad has ordered a referendum on a new constitution to be held on February 26.
- Syrians to Vote on New Constitution on February 26 RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2012 -- Syria will hold a referendum on a new constitution on February 26, according to a decree issued on Wednesday by President Bashar al-Assad.
- Russia Blasts Reports of Nerve Gas Used Against Syrian Protesters RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2012 -- The Russian Foreign Ministry dismissed as "dirty lies" allegations by media that the Syrian regime has been using chemical weapons against protesters under the supervision of Russian specialists.
- Fatah-Hamas Agreement May Heal Palestinian Rifts VOA 15 Feb 2012 -- Two rival Palestinian organizations, Hamas and Fatah, agreed on a power-sharing accord earlier this month.
- UN expert calls for intervention to help Palestinian detainee on hunger strike UN News Centre 15 Feb 2012 -- An independent United Nations human rights expert today added his voice to the concerns expressed about the health of a Palestinian detainee who has been on a hunger strike for almost two months.
- UN Secretary-General Urges Iraq To Start Camp Ashraf Relocation RFE/RL 15 Feb 2012 -- UN Secretary-General Ban has urged Iraqi authorities to begin the relocation process of members of MKO.
- Ban calls for start of relocation of Iranian exiles living in camp in Iraq UN News Centre 15 Feb 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban called for the start of the relocation of residents of the settlement in Iraq formerly known as Camp Ashraf.
- Sudan Oil Talks End With Recriminations, Large Rift VOA 15 Feb 2012 -- South Sudan has threatened to keep the oil pipeline to the Red Sea shut permanently following a failed round of talks on sharing revenues with Sudan.
- Little Progress in Sudan, South Sudan Oil Talks VOA 15 Feb 2012 -- Talks aimed at ending a bitter oil dispute between Sudan and South Sudan have ended without agreement.
- Malian Refugees Flee Violence in North of Country VOA 15 Feb 2012 -- Fighting between rebel forces and the Malian army in the northern region of Mali has forced thousands of Malians to flee their homes and head to areas along the border of the country.
- MALI: Aid gets into gear, but must navigate no-go zones IRIN 15 Feb 2012 -- Aid workers are facing a trio of challenges in northern Mali: extensive drought-induced food insecurity and pasture shortages; conflict between Tuaregs and the Malian army; and the resulting displacement of thousands more Tuaregs.
- Next round of Taiwan-China talks likely in June CNA 15 Feb 2012 -- Taiwan and China will likely hold the next round of high-level talks in June, focusing on investment protection and customs cooperation, sources said.
- Russian Terror Crimes Down by 50% in 2011 - FSB Chief RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2012 -- The number of terrorism-related crimes in Russia halved to 365 in 2011 from 779 in 2010, the head of Russia's Federal Security Service said.
- Daghestani Militant Leader Killed In Special Operation RFE/RL 15 Feb 2012 -- Russian security services say they have killed an Islamist rebel leader accused of plotting a failed terrorist attack in Moscow.
- Kosovo Serb Voters Expected to Reject Pristina Rule VOA 15 Feb 2012 -- Ethnic Serbs in northern Kosovo cast ballots on the final day of a referendum on whether to recognize the country's ethnic Albanian-dominated government.
- Kosovo's Serbs Defy Belgrade, EU With Referendum RFE/RL 15 Feb 2012 -- Serbs in northern Kosovo have voted in a second day of a referendum that is likely to overwhelmingly reject the authority of Kosovo's ethnic Albanian government.
- UN tribunal sets mid-May date for start of genocide trial of Ratko Mladic UN News Centre 15 Feb 2012 -- The United Nations tribunal set up in the wake of the Balkan conflicts of the 1990s announced that the trial of Ratko Mladic will begin on 14 May.
- Netanyahu Says Iranian 'Terror Activities' Must Be Halted RFE/RL 15 Feb 2012 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says that what he calls Iran's "terrorist activities" have been exposed to the world following a recent series of attacks targeting Israeli diplomats.
- Iran rejects Zionist claims on Bangkok bombing ISNA 15 Feb 2012 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Ramin Mehmanparast rejected reports on the country's involvement in Bangkok explosion, calling it a Zionist regime's attempt to "harm Iran-Thailand friendly relations."
- Zionists do not dare to take military action, says Iran minister ISNA 15 Feb 2012 -- Iranian Defense Minister Ahmad Vahidi said Zionist regime does not dare to take military action against Iran.
- US Downplays Iran Announcement of Nuclear Advances VOA 15 Feb 2012 -- The Obama administration is downplaying announcements by Iran that it has a new generation of centrifuges to speed up uranium enrichment and that it is producing nuclear fuel rods.
- Iran Touts Uranium Enrichment Advances VOA 15 Feb 2012 -- Iran hailed its advanced nuclear capabilities by unveiling what it says are a new generation of centrifuges to speed up uranium enrichment and its first domestically produced fuel rods.
- Ahmadinejad Hails ‘Great’ Iranian Nuclear Progress RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2012 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad trumpeted major advances in the Islamic Republic’s nuclear program.
- Iran Launches Homemade Enrichment Centrifuges in Natanz RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2012 -- Iran has launched “a cascade of domestically-made uranium enrichment centrifuges” of the latest generation at a nuclear enrichment facility in Natanz.
- Chain of new generation centrifuges becomes operational IRNA 15 Feb 2012 -- Chain of new generation centrifuges came stream at Natanz nuclear site on during a video-conference ceremony attended by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
- Fuel Rods Installed In Disputed Iranian Reactor RFE/RL 15 Feb 2012 -- Defiant in the face of Western pressure over its nuclear program, Iran says it has begun loading its first domestically made nuclear fuel rods into a research reactor in north Tehran.
- President unveils fuel plates for Tehran research reactor IRNA 15 Feb 2012 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad unveiled the first 20-percent fuel plate for Tehran Research Reactor in Tehran.
- Iran to place indigenous nuclear fuel rods into research reactor ISNA 15 Feb 2012 -- Iranian Deputy Nuclear Negotiator Ali Bagheri said the first home-built nuclear fuel rods are to be placed into Tehran research reactor.
- Iran Makes Crucial Nuclear Announcements RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2012 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad unveiled several crucial achievements of the country’s nuclear program amid increasing tensions from the West.
- Mehmanparast advises Canada FM not to bring disgrace on his country IRNA 15 Feb 2012 -- FM spokesman Mehmanparast advised the Canadian FM to conduct more studies on regional issues and avoid repeating remarks which would bring disgrace on his government.
- Canada's claim is not worth response, says Iran ISNA 15 Feb 2012 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said Canadian Foreign Minister's recent remarks bear no value to show any reaction.
- France for resumption of Iran-G5+1 talks in near future IRNA 15 Feb 2012 -- France is willing to see the resumption of talks between G5+1 and Iran in near future and on the basis of the EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton’s letter to Tehran.
- Russia Rules Out Iran Sanctions RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2012 -- Russia has ruled out backing Western sanctions against Iran, saying they are aimed at regime change in Tehran.
- Iran Rejects State Media Reports of Oil Cuts to 6 European States RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2012 -- The Iranian Petroleum Ministry rejected media reports that Iran had stopped oil supplies to six European countries.
- Iran Halts Oil Supplies to 6 European States RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2012 -- Iran has stopped oil supplies to six European countries in response to the latest sanctions imposed by the European Union against its energy and banking sectors.
- Egyptian Media Say Presidential Vote Before End of May VOA 15 Feb 2012 -- Egypt's state-run al-Ahram newspaper says the country's first presidential election since the ouster of longtime leader Hosni Mubarak will be held by the the end of May.
- Egypt's First Post-Mubarak Presidential Vote Due In Late May RFE/RL 15 Feb 2012 -- Egypt's military leaders, in an apparent move to recognize protester demands to speed up the transfer of power to a civilian government, have scheduled presidential elections for late May.
- Bahrain Opposition Vows to Keep Protesting VOA 15 Feb 2012 -- Opposition parties in Bahrain have vowed to carry on with public demonstrations for political reform, after security forces prevented activists from staging a mass rally to mark the first anniversary of their uprising.
- Renewed clashes in Bahrain spark concern from Secretary-General UN News Centre 15 Feb 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban voiced concern about reports of fresh clashes in Bahrain between security forces and demonstrators.
- Germany blames Bahraini opposition for al-Khalifa repression IRNA 15 Feb 2012 -- The German government here Wednesday has openly blamed Bahrain's opposition of inciting violence amid the ongoing security crackdown by the al-Khalifa regime.
- White House: Specific Human Rights Cases Raised With Xi VOA 15 Feb 2012 -- The White House says President Barack Obama raised specific human rights cases in talks with Chinese Vice President Xi Jinping.
- Chinese VP: US, China Must Respect Each Other's Interests VOA 15 Feb 2012 -- Chinese Vice President Xi Jinping says China welcomes the U.S. playing a "positive role" in the Asia-Pacific region.
- China: Chinese, US Leaders Have Frank, In-Depth Exchange of Views VOA 15 Feb 2012 -- China says so far, Vice President Xi Jinping's trip to the United States has been smooth and has provided an opportunity for what a Chinese official describes as a "frank and in-depth exchange of views."
- North Korea intends to strengthen ties with Iran: Official IRNA 15 Feb 2012 -- North Korea Deputy Foreign Minister said his country intended to strengthen ties in all fields with Iran.
- Kim Jong Il's Contribution to National Security and Regional Peace KCNA 15 Feb 2012 -- The Institute for Disarmament and Peace of the DPRK Foreign Ministry released a report on leader Kim Jong Il's immortal contribution to security and peace.
- Title of KPA Vice Marshal Conferred on Kim Jong Gak KCNA 15 Feb 2012 -- The Central Military Commission of the Workers' Party of Korea and the National Defence Commission of the DPRK decided to award the title of Vice Marshal of the Korean People's Army to Kim Jong Gak.
- Kim Jong Un Issues Order on Promoting Military Ranks of KPA Officers KCNA 15 Feb 2012 -- Kim Jong Un, supreme commander of the Korean People's Army, on Wednesday issued Order No. 003 on promoting the military ranks of KPA commanding officers.
- Late North Korean Leader Promoted to Generalissimo VOA 15 Feb 2012 -- North Korea has announced that its late leader, Kim Jong Il, has been bestowed the title of generalissimo.
- Title of Generalissimo Awarded to Kim Jong Il KCNA 15 Feb 2012 -- The title of Generalissimo of the DPRK was awarded to leader Kim Jong Il in the DPRK.
- KENYA: Hundreds displaced by fresh clashes in Isiolo IRIN 15 Feb 2012 -- Hundreds of people have been displaced and six killed in a fresh wave of ethnic clashes in the central Kenyan region of Isiolo.
- Police Push Back Protesters in Senegal VOA 15 Feb 2012 -- Police in Senegal used tear gas Wednesday to push back protesters demanding President Abdoulaye Wade not run for a third term.
- No Proof of Multiple Voting - Churov RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2012 -- The head of Russia's election commission said that so far no proof has been found that voters were bused around to various polling stations to repeatedly vote in December elections.
- Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne Successfully Completes J-2X Powerpack Test Pratt & Whitney 15 Feb 2012 -- Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne successfully completed the first in a series of powerpack hot-fire tests on the J-2X engine, which is being developed for NASA to power humans further into space than ever before.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|