13 February 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 13 Feb 2012 [PDF]
- Combined Force Captures Taliban Leader AFPS 13 Feb 2012 -- An Afghan and coalition security force captured a Taliban leader in the Maiwand district of Afghanistan’s Kandahar province.
- RAF Regiment leads operation against Taliban bomb-makers UK MOD 13 Feb 2012 -- Members of the RAF Regiment have found and destroyed a large cache of Taliban IED-making equipment in an operation conducted alongside Afghan and US forces.
- NATO Says Afghan Children Found Dead After Airstrike VOA 13 Feb 2012 -- NATO officials in Afghanistan say coalition aircraft may have mistakenly killed several children during a bombing raid last week in the eastern part of the country.
- NATO Admits Afghan Children Killed In Operation RFE/RL 13 Feb 2012 -- The U.S.-led NATO force in Afghanistan has conceded that several children died during a military operation in the northeastern province of Kapisa, but says it's not clear if NATO was to blame.
- Pakistani leaders criticize ‘secret NATO’ supplies IRNA 13 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan political and religious parties have criticized what they called ?secret’ supplies to NATO’ forces in Afghanistan and warned a protest sit-in in Islamabad if the government did not stop it.
- NMCB-4 Transfers Authority of Camp Krutke to NMCB-11 in Afghanistan NNS 13 Feb 2012 -- Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 4 transferred authority of Camp Krutke to NMCB-11 in an afternoon ceremony on Camp Krutke.
- ISAF-bound Repubic of Georgia soldiers train at Joint Multinational Readiness Center Army News 13 Feb 2012 -- Members of the 23rd Light Infantry Battalion are proving up to the task along with one hundred twenty-four members of the Moldovan Ground Forces.
- Taliban Announces Death Of Former Minister RFE/RL 13 Feb 2012 -- Afghanistan's Taliban says the militia's former defense minister died two years ago in a Pakistani jail.
Defense Policy / Programs
- DOD Releases Fiscal 2013 Budget Proposal DOD 13 Feb 2012
- DOD Releases Military Intelligence Program Requested Top Line Budget for Fiscal 2013 DoD 13 Feb 2012
- DOD News Briefing by Under Secretary Hale and Lt. Gen. Spencer from the Pentagon on the Fiscal 2013 Budget Proposal DOD 13 Feb 2012
- DOD News Briefing by Army Maj. Gen. McGhee and Barbara Bonessa from the Pentagon on the Fiscal 2013 Budget Proposal DOD 13 Feb 2012
- DOD News Briefing by Rear Adm. Mulloy from the Pentagon on the Fiscal 2013 Budget Proposal DOD 13 Feb 2012
- DOD News Briefing by Maj. Gen. Bolton and Marilyn Thomas from the Pentagon on the Fiscal 2013 Budget Proposal DOD 13 Feb 2012
- Budget Request Shows Careful Balance, Comptroller Says AFPS 13 Feb 2012 -- The proposed $525.4 billion Defense Department base budget reflects a well-thought-out plan for military spending that should be considered in its entirety as it moves through the budget process.
- Budget Proposal Requests Smaller, More Modern, Agile Force AFPS 13 Feb 2012 -- The military will reduce its end strength by 5.5 percent over five years, while preserving military pay and benefits for current members and investing in technology and systems to counter future threats.
- AF 2013 budget: Cuts while keeping agile, flexible, ready force AFNS 13 Feb 2012 -- The Air Force released its fiscal 2013 budget Feb. 13 and stressed the need for difficult budgetary cuts to meet the new defense strategy while maintaining the service's agility, flexibility and readiness.
- Official: Budget Request Keeps Navy, Marines ‘Expeditionary’ AFPS 13 Feb 2012 -- The Navy and Marine Corps will be leaner and smaller, but still rapidly deployable under the fiscal 2013 budget request President Barack Obama sent to Congress today, the Navy’s budget chief said.
- DoD Fiscal 2013 Budget Proposal Released NNS 13 Feb 2012 -- President Barack Obama sent Congress a proposed defense budget of $613.9 billion for fiscal 2013, Feb. 13.
- President's Fiscal 2013 Budget for U.S. Army Corps of Engineers' Civil Works released Army News 13 Feb 2012 -- The President's Budget for fiscal year 2013 includes $4.731 billion in discretionary funding for the Civil Works program of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
- Budget Proposal’s Tough Cuts ‘Absolutely Necessary,’ Obama Says AFPS 13 Feb 2012 -- President Barack Obama today called his fiscal 2013 budget proposal a blueprint to an economy built to last that will require tough cuts and shared responsibility.
- Budget Proposal Aims to Support Troops, Families AFPS 13 Feb 2012 -- President Barack Obama’s fiscal 2013 budget proposal has several provisions for service members, veterans and their families.
- Obama's Proposed Budget Cuts U.S. Funding To Eurasia RFE/RL 13 Feb 2012 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has unveiled his $3.8 trillion budget proposal for fiscal year 2013, a plan meant to spur job growth and institute "difficult cuts," including reductions in U.S. assistance to Eurasia.
- Remarks by the President on the Budget The White House 13 Feb 2012
- Obama Proposes $3.8 Trillion Budget VOA 13 Feb 2012 -- President Barack Obama says the 2013 fiscal year budget he sent to Congress will reduce deficit spending in a balanced way by $4 trillion over the next decade.
- Obama Releases Proposed Budget For 2013 RFE/RL 13 Feb 2012 -- U.S. President Barack Obama's proposed budget for 2013 has been released.
- US-Japan May Scrap Accord on Marines in Okinawa VOA 13 Feb 2012 -- The two sides appear headed toward canceling a 2006 accord to relocate a US military facility.
- Truman Docking Availability 75 Percent Complete, Ready for Final Stage NNS 13 Feb 2012 -- USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) reached the 75 percent mark for its docking planned incremental availability Feb. 7.
- USS Frank Cable Arrives in Portland NNS 13 Feb 2012 -- Submarine tender USS Frank Cable (AS 40) arrived in Portland, Ore., for a regular overhaul and dry-docking Feb. 10.
- MSC and Osprey Make History During Bold Alligator 2012 NNS 13 Feb 2012 -- For the first time in an at-sea exercise, an MV-22 Osprey landed aboard a Military Sealift Command (MSC) ship while conducting a proof of concept test during Bold Alligator 2012 (BA12) Feb. 9.
- Soldiers prep for onset of second increment of Army network Army News 13 Feb 2012 -- Soldiers recently began training on new equipment, setting the stage for the arrival of an on-the-move network that reaches all the way down to the company level.
- Russia Dock Fire Submarine Had Nuclear Warheads - Newspaper RIA Novosti 13 Feb 2012 -- A Russian submarine which caught fire during repairs in the Arctic in December had its nuclear-tipped missiles on board.
- Russia to Increase Number of 5G Fighters in Test Flights RIA Novosti 13 Feb 2012 -- The number of Russia's Sukhoi T-50 5th generation fighters involved in test flights will be increased to 14 from three by 2015.
- Su-24 Bomber Crashes in Urals - No Casualties RIA Novosti 13 Feb 2012 -- A Russian Air Force Su-24 Fencer tactical bomber crashed in the Urals region on Monday, the Defense Ministry said.
- Officer Committed Suicide aboard Nuclear Sub RIA Novosti 13 Feb 2012 -- Senior Lieutenant Maxim Galkin who was serving aboard the Gepard nuclear submarine committed suicide.
- Taiwan denies report on downgraded F-16s retrofit package CNA 13 Feb 2012 -- Taiwan's Air Force said that it will seek to purchase an advanced radar system from the United States.
- Government still mulls opening of Kinmen islets to tourists CNA 13 Feb 2012 -- The government is still mulling whether to open two more Kinmen County islets under military control for tourism.
- Court denies ex-defense minister to pay most in soldier's death CNA 13 Feb 2012 -- A military court on Monday denied reports that a former defense minister will pay the highest amount of compensation for his alleged role in the wrongful execution of a soldier.
- Iran forces are ready to defend air space: Military official ISNA 13 Feb 2012 -- Deputy Commander of the Islamic Republic Army's Air Force for Coordination Affairs Brigadier General Azizollah Nasirzadeh said the forces are ready to defend Iran's borders particularly its air space.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney, 2/13/12 The White House 13 Feb 2012
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, February 13, 2012 US Dept. of State 13 Feb 2012
- DoD News: Contracts for February 13, 2012
- U.S. Navy Awards Northrop Grumman $37 Million for Next Phase of CANES Shipboard Network Consolidation Program Northrop Grumman 13 Feb 2012 -- The U.S. Navy has awarded Northrop Grumman Corporation $37 million for the Consolidated Afloat Networks and Enterprise Services (CANES) production and limited deployment phase.
- Northrop Grumman Awarded U.S. Air Force Contracts for LITENING SE Targeting Pods Northrop Grumman 13 Feb 2012 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation has received two follow-on Low Rate Initial Production contract awards from the U.S. Air Force totaling a combined $66 million to provide additional LITENING SE advanced targeting pods.
- Raytheon Restarts Production of Laser-guided Maverick for US Air Force, Navy Raytheon 13 Feb 2012 -- After more than two decades, Raytheon Company has formally restarted production of the laser-guided Maverick missile, with the first weapon expected to be delivered to the U.S. Air Force in late 2012.
- Raytheon Delivers First International Maritime Surveillance Radar to Boeing Raytheon 13 Feb 2012 -- Raytheon Company has delivered the first international version of its APY-10 surveillance radar to Boeing. The radar will be installed on the P-8I aircraft Boeing is building for the Indian navy.
- U.S. Air Force’s New Missile Warning Satellite Providing Vital Infrared Data to Users Lockheed Martin 13 Feb 2012 -- The first Lockheed Martin-built Space Based Infrared System (SBIRS) geosynchronous (GEO-1) satellite is now delivering critical infrared data to users.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 13 February 2012 United Nations 13 Feb 2012
- UN envoy urges universal ratification of treaty to end use of children in conflict UN News Centre 13 Feb 2012 -- The United Nations envoy for children and armed conflict called for universal ratification of a treaty protocol that outlaws the use of minors to fight wars.
- Secretary Clinton Remarks Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu After Their Meeting US Dept. of State 13 Feb 2012
- Russia 'Studying' Syria Peacekeeping Force Proposal VOA 13 Feb 2012 -- Russia says it is studying the proposal for a peacekeeping mission in Syria.
- Russia Not Ruling out Peacekeepers for Syria RIA Novosti 13 Feb 2012 -- Russia does not rule out its participation in a potential UN peacekeeping mission to Syria.
- UN Rights Chief 'Outraged' by Syrian Attacks VOA 13 Feb 2012 -- The United Nations human rights chief said Monday she is outraged by what she called the Syrian government’s serious violations of civilian rights.
- UN human rights chief urges General Assembly to act now to protect Syrians UN News Centre 13 Feb 2012 -- The United Nations human rights chief appealed to Member States to act now to protect the Syrian people.
- UN Rights Chief Makes Scathing Report About Syrian Regime RFE/RL 13 Feb 2012 -- The UN rights chief has made a scathing report to the UN General Assembly about Syria's deadly crackdown on dissent.
- Syrians Suffer as Government Crackdown Continues VOA 13 Feb 2012 -- Syrian security forces have resumed their crackdown on the protest hub of Homs and other cities.
- Syria Resumes Shelling After Rejecting Peace Force RFE/RL 13 Feb 2012 -- Syrian troops have reportedly resumed their offensive targeting restive areas of the country.
- Activists: Syria Crackdown Continues in Homs VOA 13 Feb 2012 -- Syrian security forces have resumed their crackdown on the protest hub of Homs and other cities, a day after authorities in Damascus rejected an Arab League plan calling for U.N. peacekeepers.
- EU Set for New Syria Sanctions – Ashton RIA Novosti 13 Feb 2012 -- EU foreign ministers are expected to approve a new set of sanctions on Syria at a meeting on February 27, the EU's High Representative for Foreign Affairs Catherine Ashton said.
- Russia Needs Second Chance to Change Mind on Syria RIA Novosti 13 Feb 2012 -- Russia should be given a second chance to change its current stance on Syria during voting in the UN Security Council.
- Moscow Sets Conditions on Peacekeeping Mission to Syria RIA Novosti 13 Feb 2012 -- An international peacekeeping mission to Syria requires approval from Damascus and an end to the ongoing violence.
- Calling for end to provocations, Ban says Israel and Palestinians must restore trust UN News Centre 13 Feb 2012 -- Israel and the Palestinians must cease provocations and take concrete steps to restore trust and create a conducive environment for direct talks, Secretary-General Ban stressed.
- Haniya: Gun is our only response to Zionist regime ISNA 13 Feb 2012 -- Palestinian Prime Minister Ismail Haniya said gun is Palestine's only response to the Zionist regime.
- UN human rights expert calls for urgent revision of Israeli housing policies UN News Centre 13 Feb 2012 -- An independent UN human rights expert called on Israel to revise its housing policies.
- Ban welcomes signing of non-aggression pact between Sudan and South Sudan UN News Centre 13 Feb 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban welcomed the signing of a non-aggression and cooperation pact between the governments of Sudan and South Sudan.
- Sudanese Oil Talks Open Amid Somber Atmosphere VOA 13 Feb 2012 -- Sudan and South Sudan have resumed talks on sharing oil revenues that are a key component of both countries' economies.
- Somali Government Calls for End to Arms Embargo VOA 13 Feb 2012 -- Somalia's government has called for an end to the international arms embargo on the country so it can better fight the militant group al-Shabab.
- Dozens Arrested in Turkey Anti-terror Probe VOA 13 Feb 2012 -- Turkish police have arrested about 100 people in a new nationwide operation targeting union leaders and activists because of alleged links to Kurdish rebels.
- Turkish Police Target Alleged PKK Backers VOA 13 Feb 2012 -- Turkish news reports say police have launched a nationwide crackdown on union leaders and activists with alleged links to an outlawed Kurdish rebel group in the country's southeast.
- Turkey Arrests Scores Over Suspected Kurdish Rebel Links RFE/RL 13 Feb 2012 -- Turkish police have reportedly detained some 100 people in a nationwide crackdown on alleged supporters of Kurdish rebels.
- Thailand Announces Compensation Plan for Southern Violence VOA 13 Feb 2012 -- Thailand has announced a plan to financially compensate victims of state security in its deep south, where a simmering insurgency has left thousands of people dead.
- Lebanon Marks Assassination Anniversary With Few Answers VOA 13 Feb 2012 -- On the seventh anniversary of the assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri, many questions remain unanswered and many wounds still remain fresh.
- Statement by Secretary Clinton on Bombing of Israeli Diplomatic Vehicle in India and Attempted Attack on Israeli Embassy Personnel in Georgia US Dept. of State 13 Feb 2012
- Alleged terror scenarios psychological war against Iran IRNA 13 Feb 2012 -- Terror scenarios in India and Georgia and claims by Zionist regime about Iran’s role in the terrorist operations is another phase of psychological war against Tehran.
- Krishna speaks his Israeli counterpart on car blast incident IRNA 13 Feb 2012 -- Hours within the blast occurred in an Israeli embassy car, External Affairs Minister S. M Krishna spoke to his Israeli counterpart Avigdor Lieberman.
- Israel Blames Iran for Attacks in India, Georgia VOA 13 Feb 2012 -- Israel is blaming Iran for bomb attacks in India and Georgia in which two people were wounded.
- Bombers Target Israeli Embassy Staff In Georgia, India RFE/RL 13 Feb 2012 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has accused Iran of being behind bomb plots targeting Israeli diplomatic staff in India and Georgia.
- Israeli embassy car explosion triggers panic IRNA 13 Feb 2012 -- An Israeli embassy car exploded close to the mission in New Delhi in a suspected coordinated terror attack after a car bomb involving an Israeli embassy vehicle in Georgian capital of Tbilisi was defused.
- Azerbaijan Rejects Iran's Israel Spy Claim RFE/RL 13 Feb 2012 -- Azerbaijan has denied Iranian claims that Baku has been collaborating with Israel's spy services.
- Iran summons Azerbaijani envoy ISNA 13 Feb 2012 -- Iran summoned Azerbaijani ambassador Javanshir Akhundov following coming and going of certain terrorists linked to assassination of Iranian nuclear scientists in Azerbaijan.
- Iran Summons Azeri Envoy Over Nuclear Scientist Killing RIA Novosti 13 Feb 2012 -- The Iranian Foreign Ministry summoned Azerbaijan’s ambassador, accusing the country of colluding with the Israeli intelligence.
- China Urges Iran To Do More On Nuclear Standoff RFE/RL 13 Feb 2012 -- China has urged Iran to do more to end the standoff over its disputed nuclear program.
- Iran says ready for "serious" talks without precondition ISNA 13 Feb 2012 -- Iran said it is ready for serious talks with the five permanent members of the UN Security Council plus Germany without any precondition.
- Russia for Peaceful Solution to Iran’s Nuke Issue - Lavrov RIA Novosti 13 Feb 2012 -- Moscow has called to use non-military means for solving the Iranian nuclear issue, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said.
- Russian FM: Russia opposes use of military forces against Iran IRNA 13 Feb 2012 -- Russian Foreign Minister Segey Lavrov said on Monday Russia will not accept use of military forces against Iran.
- Iran says it does not aim to propagate Shia in Egypt ISNA 13 Feb 2012 -- The Head of Iran's interest section in Egypt Mojtaba Amani said the country does aim to propagate Shia in Egypt.
- Bahrain More Divided One Year After Unrest VOA 13 Feb 2012 -- Clashes between security forces and anti-government protesters in Bahrain have intensified as the first anniversary of the country’s uprising draws closer.
- Pakistan Political Crisis Deepens As Court Indicts PM VOA 13 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan’s Supreme Court has charged PM Gilani with contempt for defying its order to reopen old corruption cases.
- Pakistani Prime Minister Charged With Contempt RFE/RL 13 Feb 2012 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani has been formally charged with contempt at the country's Supreme Court.
- Pakistan PM indicted in court contempt case IRNA 13 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan Supreme Court formally framed charges against Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani over his failure to accept the apex court’s orders to reopen graft cases against President Asif Ali Zardari.
- UN welcomes official start of operations for Libyan electoral authorities UN News Centre 13 Feb 2012 -- The United Nations welcomed the official start of operations for Libya’s new electoral authorities.
- Ukrainian Scientist Suspected of Spying for U.S. RIA Novosti 13 Feb 2012 -- A spy scandal may be brewing in Ukraine after the media reported that the security service suspects the director of a research institute there of passing secret information to the United States.
- Maldives: UN official urges all sides to form national unity government UN News Centre 13 Feb 2012 -- All sides in the current political crisis in the Maldives must urgently reach agreement on forming an inclusive government of national unity, a senior United Nations official said.
- Turkmenistan's Ruler Wins New Term VOA 13 Feb 2012 -- Turkmenistan's authoritarian President Kurbanguly Berdymukhamedov has cemented his rule in the Central Asian state, winning a new five-year term with more than 97 percent of the vote.
- Turkmen President Reelected With 97 Percent Of Vote RFE/RL 13 Feb 2012 -- Turkmen President Gurbanguly Berdymukhammedov has won a new five-year term in office following a landslide election victory.
- Berdymukhamedov Sweeps Turkmenistan Election RIA Novosti 13 Feb 2012 -- Turkmen President Gurbanguly Berdymukhamedov has been reelected for a second term with 97 percent of the vote, the Central Asian country’s election authorities said on Monday.
- Security Council ambassadors begin official visit to Haiti UN News Centre 13 Feb 2012 -- A Security Council delegation kicked off its mission to Haiti as the country begins its painstaking transition towards reconstruction, job creation and capacity building following the devastating earthquake two years ago.
- Bout Defiant Over Arms Smuggling Conviction - INTERVIEW RIA Novosti 13 Feb 2012 -- The United States are “the world’s cancer,” American media is the same as Nazi propaganda, and Vladimir Lenin was right, said Russian businessman Viktor Bout.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|