06 February 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 06 Feb 2012 [PDF]
- ISAF Helicopter Crew Survives Crash AFPS 06 Feb 2012 -- An International Security Assistance Force helicopter crew survived after their aircraft crashed in eastern Afghanistan.
- NATO Helicopter Down In Afghanistan, No One Killed RFE/RL 06 Feb 2012 -- NATO forces say one of their helicopters crashed in eastern Afghanistan on February 6 and that all aboard survived.
- U.N. Report on Civilian Casualties Encourages ISAF Commander AFPS 06 Feb 2012 -- The commander of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan reacted over the weekend to a UN report that notes a decline in coalition-related civilian casualties.
- Pakistani Prime Minister In Qatar To Discuss Afghan Peace Deal RFE/RL 06 Feb 2012 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani has arrived in Qatar for planned talks on a possible peace deal to end the 10-year war in Afghanistan.
- First Afghan pilot class completes flight screening course AFNS 06 Feb 2012 -- A group of seven Afghan officers continued their journey to earn pilot wings by passing their first flight screening course Feb. 2 at Shindand Air Base, Afghanistan.
- XVIII Airborne Corps hosts welcome home return ceremony Army News 06 Feb 2012 -- More than 750 XVIII Airborne Corps Soldiers recently returned from a yearlong deployment to Iraq.
- Abraham Lincoln Visits Bahrain NNS 06 Feb 2012 -- The aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) departed Bahrain, Feb. 5, following a four-day port visit.
Defense Policy / Programs
- New DOD Rule Supports Independent Research, Development AFPS 06 Feb 2012 -- A new rule published Jan. 30 modifies the way major defense contractors report to the Defense Department on their independent research and development projects.
- Truman Departs Dry Dock NNS 06 Feb 2012 -- The Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) moved from dry dock 8 to her new berth, Pier 6 at Norfolk Naval Shipyard in Portsmouth, Va., Feb. 3.
- Navy to Begin Tests on Electromagnetic Railgun Prototype Launcher NNS 06 Feb 2012 -- The Office of Naval Research's Electromagnetic Railgun program will take an important step forward in the coming weeks when the first industry railgun prototype launcher is tested at a facility in Dahlgren, Va., officials said Feb. 6.
- Team Submarine, NUWC Keyport Delivers Torpedo Software Upgrade NNS 06 Feb 2012 -- The Navy's Torpedo Enterprise upgraded all MK 54 lightweight torpedoes in 5th Fleet with the latest software build Jan. 13.
- Air Force tests next-gen networks, devices for operational use AFNS 06 Feb 2012 -- Rapidly-emerging technologies give users information immediately, and machines fit easily in the palm of your hand.
- New bioelectric bandage interests Army Army News 06 Feb 2012 -- The U.S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command has initiated steps to evaluate a new bioelectric bandage.
- New fuels course graduates first class AFNS 06 Feb 2012 -- A new fuels training course developed by 364th Training Squadron members here officially started Jan. 23 and graduated its first students Feb. 3.
- Obama Nominee Could Become Air Force’s First Female General AFPS 06 Feb 2012 -- President Barack Obama has nominated Lt. Gen. Janet C. Wolfenbarger to the rank of general, and as commander of Air Force Materiel Command at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio.
- Guardsmen save man 200 miles off coast of California AFNS 06 Feb 2012 -- Air National Guardsmen from the 129th Rescue Wing here performed a rescue mission 200 miles off the coast of California on Feb. 4.
- Russia Says NATO Missile-Defense Talks At 'Dead End' RFE/RL 06 Feb 2012 -- Anatoly Antonov, Russia's lead negotiator with NATO on missile-defense, said the discussions have reached "a dead end."
- Russia May Boost Nuclear Potential RIA Novosti 06 Feb 2012 -- Russia may have to boost its nuclear potential in future amid emerging nuclear proliferation threats.
- Russian Navy 30-Year Development Plan to be Ready by June RIA Novosti 06 Feb 2012 -- Russia will develop a detailed 30-year plan of strengthening its naval forces by June 2012.
- Putin Doubts Military Draft to End by 2015 RIA Novosti 06 Feb 2012 -- Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, who is making a re-run for the post of Russian president, expressed doubt that Russia would be able to make the transition to a fully professional army by 2015.
- Russia, China to Jointly Build Mi-2A Helicopters RIA Novosti 06 Feb 2012 -- Russian helicopter maker Rostvertol and Chinese Xi'Ao Aeroplane Manufacturing will build a plant in northern China capable of manufacturing 100 lightweight civil Mi-2A helicopters annually.
- Drilling begins in Portsmouth for arrival of Navy's latest carriers UK MOD 06 Feb 2012 -- The next step in preparing Portsmouth Naval Base to be the home of the biggest warships ever built for the Royal Navy began last week.
- HMS Protector cuts through Antarctic ice UK MOD 06 Feb 2012 -- HMS Protector, the Royal Navy's ice patrol ship, has cut through the ice floes of Antarctica for the first time.
- Eurofighter better than Rafale: Britain IRNA 06 Feb 2012 -- Britain took up the matter with authorities here insisting that its combat aircraft Eurofighter was better than the selected one - Rafale.
- Russia, India Prepare for INDRA-2012 Military Drills RIA Novosti 06 Feb 2012 -- Russia and India started preparation for joint INDRA-2012 military exercises scheduled to be held in Russia this summer.
- Remote island to be equipped with TACAN antenna system CNA 06 Feb 2012 -- A tactical air navigation facility will be built on Taiwan's Taiping Island in the South China Sea.
- Iran, Oman underline joint naval cooperation for regional peace IRNA 06 Feb 2012 -- The Commanders of Iranian and Omani naval forces Admiral Habibollah Sayyari and Admiral Abdollah bin Khamis bin Abdollah al-Raisi underlined the need for joint cooperation to maintain regional peace and stablity.
- Iran: Ground drill sends message of peace to neighbors ISNA 06 Feb 2012 -- Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Ground Forces Brigadier General Pakpour said the forces' military maneuver holds the message of friendship for friendly countries and says enemies to act "wisely."
- Iran armed forces receive new electronic systems ISNA 06 Feb 2012 -- Iranian Defense Ministry has launched and delivered 21 systems, electronic research projects, optical and communications projects to the armed forces.
- Seoul: N. Korea Developing Attack Drones Using US Technology VOA 06 Feb 2012 -- South Korean media report that North Korea is developing unmanned attack aircraft using American technology.
- Kim Jong Un Inspects Command of KPA Navy KCNA 06 Feb 2012 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un inspected the Command of Combined Unit 597 of the KPA Navy and its units.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney, 2/6/2012 The White House 06 Feb 2012
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, February 6, 2012 US Dept. of State 06 Feb 2012
- DoD News: Contracts for February 06, 2012
- CACI Awarded Prime Position on $476 Million Multiple-Award Contract to Provide Information Services Support CACI 06 Feb 2012 -- ACI International Inc announced today that it has been selected as one of nine prime contractors to provide a wide range of telecommunications and information technology solutions for the Department of Defense (DoD) and other federal agencies via the U.S. Government Omnibus Network Enterprise (USG ONE) contract.
- Lockheed Martin Selected to Provide Distributed Training Mission Support for U.S. Air Force Lockheed Martin 06 Feb 2012 -- The U.S. Air Force awarded Lockheed Martin a five-year competitive contract to provide technical support of the Distributed Mission Operations Center (DMOC) located at Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M.
- Northrop Grumman Selected for U.S. Army's Common Infrared Countermeasure Technical Demonstration Program Northrop Grumman 06 Feb 2012 -- The U.S. Army has awarded Northrop Grumman Corporation a $31.4 million contract for the Common Infrared Countermeasure (CIRCM) Technical Demonstration (TD) program to develop the next generation of aircraft survivability equipment to defend helicopters against man-portable air-defense systems and other heat-seeking munitions.
- Air National Guard Deploys to Afghanistan With Northrop Grumman-Built LITENING G4 Pods Northrop Grumman 06 Feb 2012 -- Northrop Grumman's LITENING G4 advanced targeting pod recently embarked on its first combat deployment with the Air National Guard on A-10 and F-16 Block 30 aircraft supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.
- Northrop Grumman Participating in Bold Alligator Maritime Exercise With F-35 Sensors Northrop Grumman 06 Feb 2012 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation is participating in U.S. Fleet Forces Command's Joint/Coalition Amphibious Exercise Bold Alligator 2012, employing the company's BAC1-11 test aircraft to provide F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) sensor capabilities.
- Raytheon Wins $39.6 Million US Navy Contract for AIM-9X Raytheon 06 Feb 2012 -- The U.S. Navy awarded Raytheon Company a $39.6 million contract for Fiscal Year 2012 production and delivery of the AIM-9X Block II infrared-guided air-to-air missile. The contract, which modifies a previously awarded contract, was announced on Jan. 31 by the Department of Defense.
- Thales awarded sonar contract for Astute Boat 5 Thales 06 Feb 2012 -- Thales UK has been awarded a £30m+ contract to supply the Sonar 2076 fully integrated search and attack submarine sonar system for the UK Royal Navy’s fifth Astute-class submarine, HMS Anson.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Offices of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General and the Spokesperson for the General Assembly President, 06 February 2012 United Nations 06 Feb 2012
- Syria's Assad Learns Lessons from Arab Spring, Recent History VOA 06 Feb 2012 -- With Russia and China blocking a U.N. resolution condemning the crackdown on protests in Syria, the prospects for a quick end to the conflict seem bleak.
- Syrian Actions ‘Utterly Deplorable,’ Pentagon Spokesman Says AFPS 06 Feb 2012 -- Armed attacks by Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s regime are “utterly deplorable.”
- Secretary-General ‘appalled’ by escalating violence across Syria UN News Centre 06 Feb 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban strongly condemned the escalating violence in Syria.
- Russia, China Betrayed Syrian Nation - UK’s Hague RIA Novosti 06 Feb 2012 -- British Foreign Secretary William Hague on Monday accused Russia and China of betraying the interests of the Syrian nation.
- China Defends its Veto of UN Resolution on Syria VOA 06 Feb 2012 -- China strongly defended its veto of a United Nations Security Council resolution on Syria again.
- Kremlin Defends Its Veto at UN on Syria VOA 06 Feb 2012 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov is sharply criticizing the U.N. Security Council for its handling of a controversial resolution on Syria, which Russia and China blocked by using their veto power.
- UN Resolution on Syria ‘Too Hasty’ - Russia RIA Novosti 06 Feb 2012 -- Russia defended its rejection of a UN resolution condemning the violent crackdown in Syria, saying the UN Security Council was too hasty in putting it to a vote.
- US Closes Syria Embassy, Says UN Veto Emboldens Assad VOA 06 Feb 2012 -- The United States has closed its embassy in Syria, warning that President Bashar al-Assad is increasing his campaign of violence.
- US Closes Damascus Embassy as Assad Forces Kill More Syrians VOA 06 Feb 2012 -- The United States has closed its embassy in Syria and pulled remaining diplomats, citing a worsening security situation.
- Diplomats Leave Syria Amid Violence RFE/RL 06 Feb 2012 -- The United States says it has pulled all its diplomats out of Syria, while Britain is recalling its ambassador from Damascus for consultations on the escalating violence in the country.
- United States Closes Embassy in Syria RIA Novosti 06 Feb 2012 -- The United States on Monday closed its embassy in Syria and pulled out its staff, including Ambassador Robert Ford, over security concerns.
- Over 50 Killed in Syrian Clashes – Activists RIA Novosti 06 Feb 2012 -- A total of 56 people, including 28 civilians, were killed on Sunday in clashes between pro-government troops and protestors in various Syrian cities.
- Israel Condemns Palestinian Reconciliation Deal RFE/RL 06 Feb 2012 -- Israel's prime minister says it will be impossible to hold peace talks if the Palestinians go through with a new reconciliation deal.
- Palestinian Rivals Agree to Form Unity Government VOA 06 Feb 2012 -- The leaders of the rival Palestinian movements Fatah and Hamas have announced a major step toward ending their bitter divisions.
- Fatah, Hamas leaders agree to form unity government IRNA 06 Feb 2012 -- Chairman of Fatah movement Mahmoud Abbas and Hamas political chief Khaled Mashal in Doha agreed to form Palestine unity government led by Abbas.
- Abbas May Head Palestinian Interim Government – PLO member RIA Novosti 06 Feb 2012 -- Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas and Hamas chief Khalid Meshaal during a meeting in Doha agreed to form an interim government headed by Abbas.
- Somalia: UN and partners insist interim political arrangement must end in August UN News Centre 06 Feb 2012 -- The international group that brings together support of efforts to restore peace and stability in Somalia insisted that the country’s current transitional governing arrangements must end on 20 August this year.
- SAHEL: Displaced Malians burden food-insecure hosts IRIN 06 Feb 2012 -- Some 12,000 Malians have fled fighting in the towns of Ménaka and Anderamboucane in northern Mali and reached already food-insecure villages around Tillabéri in western Niger.
- SRI LANKA: Mine clearance could take 10 years or more IRIN 06 Feb 2012 -- Landmine clearance in Sri Lanka's conflict-affected north could take more than a decade.
- Executive Order - Blocking Property of the Government of Iran and Iranian Financial Institutions The White House 06 Feb 2012
- Message - Blocking Property of the Government of Iran and Iranian Financial Institutions The White House 06 Feb 2012
- Obama Orders New Sanctions on Iran VOA 06 Feb 2012 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has ordered stricter sanctions on Iran's government and central bank.
- Obama Signs Executive Order Freezing Iranian Assets RFE/RL 06 Feb 2012 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has signed an executive order imposing tougher sanctions on Iran and its central bank.
- Obama Says Israel Has Not Decided To Attack Iran RFE/RL 06 Feb 2012 -- U.S. President Barack Obama says he does not think Israel has decided whether to attack Iran over its disputed nuclear program.
- Bahrain Says U.S. Not to Attack Iran RIA Novosti 06 Feb 2012 -- Bahrain’s Foreign Minister Haled al-Halifa on Monday dismissed rumors that the United States plans to attack Iran over its controversial nuclear program.
- Obama Sees no Grounds for Iranian Attack on U.S. RIA Novosti 06 Feb 2012 -- In an interview with NBC on Sunday night, U.S. President Barack Obama said he saw no grounds for rumors that Iran may be planning an attack on the United States.
- Salehi: Iran-IAEA disagreements lessen ISNA 06 Feb 2012 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said disagreements between Iran and the International Atomic Energy Agency have lessened.
- Egyptian Military, Under Pressure, Advances Election Timetable VOA 06 Feb 2012 -- An Egyptian scholar says calls by Egypt’s military administration for a presidential election are a calculated attempt to dilute a groundswell of pro-democracy demands to hand over power to a civilian government.
- Tibetan Exile Administration Reports More Protest Immolations VOA 06 Feb 2012 -- The India-based administration of Tibetan exiles is citing "unconfirmed reports" that more Tibetans have self-immolated.
- U.S. Concerned Over Egypt's Prosecution Of NGO Cases RFE/RL 06 Feb 2012 -- Washington says it is "deeply concerned" over reports that Egypt plans to move ahead with plans to put on trial more than 40 employees of U.S.-funded NGOs.
- Myanmar: UN rights expert urges authorities to remain committed to reforms UN News Centre 06 Feb 2012 -- Recent reforms in Myanmar have already had a positive impact, the United Nations expert on the human rights situation in the country said.
- Swiss Probe Turkish Official Over Armenia Genocide Remarks RFE/RL 06 Feb 2012 -- Swiss prosecutors have launched an initial investigation to see whether Turkey's EU minister breached the law by denying that the mass killings of Armenians a century ago were genocide.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|