04 February 2012 Military News
- Civilian casualty numbers in Afghanistan rise again, UN reports UN News Centre 04 Feb 2012 -- The number of civilian casualties resulting from the conflict in Afghanistan has risen for a fifth consecutive year, the United Nations reported today, blaming a change in tactics by the Taliban and other anti-Government forces for the higher death toll.
- Coalition Commander Says Afghan Plan Still Intact VOA 04 Feb 2012 -- The commander of coalition forces in Afghanistan, U.S. Marine Corps General John Allen, says the plan for a transition to full Afghan security control is intact after the announcement that American troops will largely end their combat duties next year, rather than the following year as had been widely expected.
- Pakistan PM To Travel To Qatar For Talks On Afghan Peace Deal RFE/RL 04 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan's Foreign Ministry says the country's prime minister, Yusuf Raza Gilani, will travel to Qatar next week for talks with leaders there on a peace deal to end the Taliban's 10-year war in Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Panetta Calls for Europe, NATO Defense Investment AFPS 04 Feb 2012 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta today called for European nations to match the United States' vote of confidence in the transatlantic partnership, through investment in common defense and commitment to a long-term solution in Afghanistan.
- Remarks by Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton at the 48th Munich Security Conference, Bayerischer Hof, Munich, Germany DoD 04 Feb 2012 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Leon E. Panetta and Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton
- USS Greeneville Holds Change of Command NNS 04 Feb 2012 -- A time-honored change of command ceremony was held aboard the Los Angeles-class submarine USS Greeneville (SSN 772) at the submarine piers at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam Feb. 3.
- Russian Strategic Subs to Resume Routine World Patrols RIA Novosti 04 Feb 2012 -- Russian strategic nuclear submarines will resume routine extended patrols in international waters around the world in June 2012, Russian Navy Commander Adm. Vladimir Vysotsky said.
- Air force commander: Sanctions led to more self-sufficiency IRNA 04 Feb 2012 -- Iranian Air Force Commander Brigadier General Hassan Shahsafi said on Saturday that sanctions imposed on Iran have prompted the country toattain self-sufficiency in many fields.
- IRGC conducts war games in southern Iran IRNA 04 Feb 2012 -- Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) launched war games in southern parts of the country.
- Iran opens production line of indigenous navy cruise missile ISNA 04 Feb 2012 -- Iran inaugurated the production line of navy cruise missile system dubbed 'Zafar' (Victory) on Saturday, in presence of Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi.
- IRGC drill begins in southern Iran ISNA 04 Feb 2012 -- The Commander of Iran's IRGC Ground Forces Brigadier General Mohammad Pakpour said Saturday the country started 'Hamiyane Velayat' (Supporters of Velayat) drill in southern Iran.
- Syrian State Media Denies Army Role In Homs RFE/RL 04 Feb 2012 -- Syrian state media is denying army forces are to blame for the reported killing of more than 200 people in the central city of Homs.
- Russia, China Veto UN Syria Resolution RFE/RL 04 Feb 2012 -- Russia and China have vetoed a UN resolution backing an Arab peace plan calling on Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to step down.
- Syria: Ban voices deep regret after Security Council fails to agree on resolution UN News Centre 04 Feb 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon voiced deep regret after Security Council members were today unable to agree on a resolution backing an Arab League plan to resolve the crisis in Syria, where thousands of people have been killed over the past year since authorities crackdown on a pro-democracy uprising.
- Russia, China Veto UN Resolution on Syria VOA 04 Feb 2012 -- Russia and China have once again blocked an effort by the U.N. Security Council to condemn the on-going violence in Syria. The two powers used their vetoes to defeat a resolution on Saturday that would have also endorsed an Arab League plan to help end the bloodshed.
- Lavrov Defends Russian Arms Supplies to Syria RIA Novosti 04 Feb 2012 -- Russia's arms supplies to Syria will not affect the balance of power in the Middle East, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Saturday.
- Russia, China Veto UN Resolution on Syria RIA Novosti 04 Feb 2012 -- Russia and China vetoed a UN Security Council resolution on Syria that calls on President Bashar al-Assad to step down.
- U.S. 'Disgusted' by Russia, China Double Veto on Syria Resolution RIA Novosti 04 Feb 2012 -- U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice said on Saturday she was 'disgusted' by the Russian and Chinese veto on a Security Council resolution on Syria that urges President Bashar al-Assad to step down.
- Syrians and Turks in Istanbul Protest Latest Syrian Show of Force VOA 04 Feb 2012 -- In Istanbul, Turkey hundreds of Syrians and Turks protested against the latest reported crackdown by Syrian forces on dissent which killed more than 200 people. Syrian neighbor Turkey has become a base for the Syrian opposition.
- Obama Condemns Syrian Attack VOA 04 Feb 2012 -- President Barack Obama is harshly criticizing the Syrian government for an attack that killed more than 200 people in the city of Homs. The president's sharply-worded statement released Saturday aims to reassure the Syrian people.
- Iran not to abandon demands even if it may not export single drop of oil IRNA 04 Feb 2012 -- Iran will not abandon its legitimate demands even if it may not export a single drop of oil, Minister of Oil Rostam Ghasemi said on Saturday.
- Iran rejects US intelligence official's claim ISNA 04 Feb 2012 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman rejected claims of the Director of the U.S. National Intelligence James Clapper against the country, saying 'illusion of threat' is rooted in 'outdated thoughts of cold war.'
- Iran envoy: EU has no choice but changing tone ISNA 04 Feb 2012 -- Iranian ambassador to Bulgaria Gholamreza Bagheri-Moghaddam said European Union has no choice, but changing its tone towards the country.
- Anti-Putin March Draws Tens of Thousands in Moscow RIA Novosti 04 Feb 2012 -- Protesters from all walks of life and of all political persuasions packed downtown Moscow on Saturday to express their opposition to Prime Minister Vladimir Putin’s expected return to the Kremlin next month.
- Pro- and Anti-Putin Rallies Draw Mass Turnouts in Moscow VOA 04 Feb 2012 -- Russia's political protest movement has been in hibernation since Christmas. Winter still holds Moscow in its grip. But, columns of protesters, both for and against Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, emerged from their warm apartments Saturday to protest on the frozen streets.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|