07 January 2012 Military News
- Pirate Capture Shows U.S. Commitment to Free Seas, Leaders Say AFPS 07 Jan 2012 -- The U.S. Navy's Jan. 5 capture of 15 suspected pirates in the northern Arabian Sea demonstrates the Defense Department's commitment to maritime freedom of navigation, DOD's senior leaders said yesterday.
- Iran welcomes release of Iranian sailors from captivity by US forces IRNA 07 Jan 2012 -- Foreign Ministry on Saturday welcomed release of 13 Iranian sailors from captivity of Somali pirates by the US forces.
- Tehran 'Welcomes' U.S. Navy Rescue Of Iranian Fishermen RFE/RL 07 Jan 2012 -- Iran has broken its official silence over the U.S. Navy's rescue of 13 Iranian fishermen from the hands of pirates by calling the January 5 operation a "welcome and humanitarian act."
- Iran Welcomes US Rescue of Iranians Held by Pirates VOA 07 Jan 2012 -- Iran has welcomed the U.S. Navy's rescue of 13 Iranians who were held hostage by pirates in the Arabian Sea.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USFF, MARFORCOM Host Final Planning Conference for Bold Alligator 2012 NNS 07 Jan 2012 -- Commander, U.S. Fleet Forces (USFF) along with Commander, U.S. Marine Corps Forces Command (MARFORCOM) hosted the Final Planning Conference for Exercise Bold Alligator 2012 (BA 12) at Expeditionary Warfare Training Group Atlantic headquarters, Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story, Virginia Beach, Jan. 4-6.
- Pinckney Medical Team Treats Injured Civilian on Merchant Vessel NNS 07 Jan 2012 -- GULF OF ADEN - Three medical personnel assigned to Expeditionary Resuscitative Surgical System (ERSS) 7, embarked aboard guided-missile destroyer USS Pinckney (DDG 91) and seven visit, board, search, and seizure (VBSS) team members boarded a cargo ship to provide medical assistance to an injured civilian, Jan. 1.
- Michigan (Gold), Nebraska Capture Battle 'E' Honors NNS 07 Jan 2012 -- For the second straight year, the Ohio-class submarines USS Michigan (SSGN 727) and USS Nebraska (SSBN 739) were honored Jan. 1 by Commander Submarine Force, U.S. Pacific Fleet as recipients of the 2011 Battle Efficiency Award, or Battle 'E.'
- China Expresses Concern Over US Defense Blueprint VOA 07 Jan 2012 -- Chinese state media are expressing concern over the latest U.S. defense plan, warning that it could damage U.S.-Chinese relations.
- Iran's Revolutionary Guards to hold new drill soon ISNA 07 Jan 2012 -- Real Admiral Ali Fadavi, naval commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) said the country's forces plan to stage new war game in the Strait of Hormuz.
- UN Security Council condemns deadly blast in Syria's Damascus RIA Novosti 07 Jan 2012 -- The UN Security Council has strongly condemned Friday's terrorist attack in the Syrian capital of Damascus that left dozens dead and scores wounded, Xinhua news agency reported on Saturday.
- Syrians Mourn 26 Killed in Damascus Bombing VOA 07 Jan 2012 -- Mourners in Damascus shouted their support for President Bashar al-Assad Saturday at the funerals of 26 people killed in a bomb attack in the capital.
- Kenyan Airstrikes Kill Dozens of Militants in Somalia VOA 07 Jan 2012 -- A Kenyan spokesman says jet fighters have killed dozens of al-Qaida-linked militants gathered in southern Somalia, as part of an ongoing effort to force them out of the country.
- Hundreds Flee as Violence Rages on in Northern Nigeria VOA 07 Jan 2012 -- There are reports of a gun battle between unknown assailants and police in the town of Potiskum in northeastern Nigeria. The fighting is reportedly around a police station and other sections of the town in Yobe State, with unconfirmed reports of casualties.
- Anti-Violence Curfew Imposed in Nigeria's Adamawa State VOA 07 Jan 2012 -- The Nigerian state of Adamawa has imposed a 24-hour curfew in response to a spate of deadly attacks on Christians by suspected Islamists.
- Official: Bushehr power plant to reach optimum capacity soon IRNA 07 Jan 2012 -- Head of Iran's Nuclear Energy Organization Fereydoun Abbasi said the Bushehr nuclear power plant will reach its full capacity of 1000 megawatts soon.
- Tymoshenko receives medical treatment in prison RIA Novosti 07 Jan 2012 -- Former Prime Minister of Ukraine Yulia Tymoshenko is now being provided with necessary medical care within the area of the detention facility she is being kept in, Kachanovsky colony, according to National Prison Service of Ukraine (GPSU).
- Pakistani President says ready to discuss snap polls IRNA 07 Jan 2012 -- Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari has hinted snap parliamentary polls and said he is ready to discuss the issue with the opposition leader Nawaz Sharif.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|