04 January 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- ISAF Commander Condemns Suicide Attacks in Kandahar AFPS 04 Jan 2012 -- The commander of ISAF condemned terrorist attacks that reportedly killed at least 12 people in Kandahar City.
- Afghan National Army leads first operational route clearance Army News 04 Jan 2012 -- The 2/209th Route Clearance Company, Afghan National Army, or ANA, conducted its first route clearing mission in December.
- 'AfPak Hands' Program Pays Dividends in Afghanistan, Pakistan AFPS 04 Jan 2012 -- Just over two years since its inception, the Afghanistan-Pakistan Hands program is delivering the capability it was designed to provide.
- Three Bombs Kill At Least 11 People In Kandahar City RFE/RL 04 Jan 2012 -- Three bomb blasts in southern Afghanistan have killed at least 11 people and wounded many more.
- Centurions deliver for Alaska-based airborne brigade Army News 04 Jan 2012 -- A group of Alaska-based parachute riggers are now rigging everything from fuel to food for delivery to Soldiers on the front lines in Afghanistan.
- Bulletproof balls deliver fuel to front line UK MOD 04 Jan 2012 -- Giant sacks, specially designed to transport fuel by air to the front line, have been delivered to troops in Afghanistan.
- Mass Grave Found In Afghan Army Compound RFE/RL 04 Jan 2012 -- Afghan officials say they have found a mass grave containing at least 10 human skulls in northern Afghanistan.
- Officials discuss women's roles in Afghanistan's development Army News 04 Jan 2012 -- Brig. Gen. Khatool Mohammadzai, director for women's affairs in the Afghan National Army, met civilian and military leaders.
- 18 suspected militants killed in Pakistani tribal region IRNA 04 Jan 2012 -- 18 suspected militants were killed on Wednesday in Pakistani tribal region.
- United States dismisses Iran's belligerent statements RIA Novosti 04 Jan 2012 -- The United States on Tuesday dismissed Iran’s warning to keep the U.S. aircraft carrier, which recently left the area, away from the Gulf.
- Defense minister: Iran after preserving security of Hormuz Strait IRNA 04 Jan 2012 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi on Wednesday said Iran has always been after preserving the security of Hormuz Strait.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Navy Names First Three Mobile Landing Platform Ships DoD 04 Jan 2012
- US Defense Cuts May Force Pentagon Strategy Shift VOA 04 Jan 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta is expected to announce a plan to end the Pentagon's strategy of maintaining a force capable of fighting two wars at once.
- Sailors Will See Improved Opportunities As Force Balance Improves NNS 04 Jan 2012 -- Top-performing Sailors will see more opportunities to convert, reenlist, and advance as a result of the Navy's use of force management tools.
- JTF-Bravo delivers medical care to 1,400 Guatemalans AFNS 04 Jan 2012 -- Twenty-two members from Joint Task Force-Bravo provided medical care to more than 1,400 residents Dec. 8-13 in an isolated region of southwest Guatemala.
- Corps of Engineers transforms military medical care Army News 04 Jan 2012 -- Moves associated with the 2005 Base Realignment and Closure Commission, or BRAC, report have resulted in the relocation of thousands of military service members and families.
- The dos and don'ts of the political season AFNS 04 Jan 2012 -- With the presidential primaries lurking around the corner, there are a few things Airmen must remember during this upcoming political season.
- EODMU-3 CMC Relieved NNS 04 Jan 2012 -- Commander, Explosive Ordnance Disposal Group (EODGRU) 1 relieved the command master chief of Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobile Unit (EODMU) 3, Dec. 16.
- HMS Kent sails after major upgrade UK MOD 04 Jan 2012 -- Royal Navy warship HMS Kent returned to her Portsmouth home in December following a year-long, £24m upgrade in Rosyth, Scotland, which saw major improvements to her systems and equipment.
- India clears 950 million Euro deal for missiles for Mirage2000 IRNA 04 Jan 2012 -- India cleared a Euro 950 million deal to procure 500 air-to-air missiles from a French firm for Indian Air Force's Mirage 2000 aircraft fleet.
- Iran To Hold More Military Drills RFE/RL 04 Jan 2012 -- Iranian Defense Minister Ahmad Vahidi says that Iran plans to hold more military exercises after a 10-day drill in the Persian Gulf raised tensions with the United States.
- Iranian guards to stage drill soon, says minister ISNA 04 Jan 2012 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi said Wednesday Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps is to hold drill soon.
- Iran studies building VTOL fighters ISNA 04 Jan 2012 -- Deputy Commander of the Islamic Republic of Iran's Air Forces Azizollah Nasirzadeh said Iranian Defense Ministry is conducting studies to build vertical take-off and landing fighters.
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, January 4, 2012 US Dept. of State 04 Jan 2012
- DoD News: Contracts for January 04, 2012
- Raytheon Delivers First Upgraded Patriot Radar to Kuwait Raytheon 04 Jan 2012 -- Raytheon Company completed its first Configuration-3 Patriot radar upgrade for the State of Kuwait. This is the first of six radar modernization deliveries due under contract to the U.S. Army Aviation and Missile Command.
- LONGBOW LLC Receives $181 Million for Apache LONGBOW Block III Radar and Data Link Systems Lockheed Martin 04 Jan 2012 -- The LONGBOW Limited Liability Company, a joint venture of Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman Corporation, received a $181 million contract from the U.S. Army for AH-64D Apache Block III LONGBOW systems.
- LONGBOW LLC Receives $181 Million for Apache LONGBOW Block III Radar and Data Link Systems Northrop Grumman 04 Jan 2012 -- The LONGBOW Limited Liability Company, a joint venture of Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman Corporation, received a $181 million contract from the U.S. Army for AH-64D Apache Block III LONGBOW systems.
- Thales launches GeoMux, a new PR4G F@stnet Waveform Thales 04 Jan 2012 -- GeoMux is one of the most advanced Electronic Protective Measure (EPM) VHF waveforms on the market. In addition to providing three high quality services simultaneously, voice, data and GPS position, GeoMux also includes a unique transverse communication capability allowing the radio to operate simultaneously on two independent radio channels.
- Thales welcomes seventh Royal Navy frigate sonar upgrade Thales 04 Jan 2012 -- HMS Kent, one of the Royal Navy’s (RN’s) most advanced Type 23 frigates, has been fitted with Thales UK’s Sonar 2087 system as part of a multi-million pound upgrade to her systems and operational capability. Kent now becomes the seventh Type 23 frigate to be upgraded with the Sonar 2087 system.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 4 January 2012 United Nations 04 Jan 2012
- Press Conference by Security Council President on Work Programme for January, 4 January 2012 United Nations 04 Jan 2012
- Security Council to discuss closer ties between UN and regional blocs this month UN News Centre 04 Jan 2012 -- The Security Council will hold an open debate later this month on strengthening strategic cooperation between the United Nations and regional organizations.
- Number Of UN Staff Killed In Line Of Duty Doubled In 2011 RFE/RL 04 Jan 2012 -- United Nations staff members were the primary target in several terror attacks during 2011, with more than twice as many personnel killed than in the previous year.
- Syria Accuses U.S. Of Interfering In Arab Affairs RFE/RL 04 Jan 2012 -- Syria has accused the United States of interfering in Arab League affairs.
- Syria hits out at U.S. 'interference' in Arab League's affairs RIA Novosti 04 Jan 2012 -- Damascus blamed Washington over “the rude interference” in the Arab League’s monitoring mission in Syria.
- Hamas condemns Palestine-Israeli peace talks RIA Novosti 04 Jan 2012 -- Palestinian radical movement, Hamas criticized a recent Palestine-Israeli peace talks in Jordan, calling it “a strike on Hamas-Fatah rapprochement.”
- Hamas: Israeli-Palestinian Meeting A 'Farce' RFE/RL 04 Jan 2012 -- The Palestinian group Hamas says that the first face-to-face meeting in 16 months between Israeli and Palestinian negotiators to try to restart stalled peace talks was a "farce" and a "waste of time."
- Russia welcomes relaunch of Israeli and Palestinian dialogue - Foreign Ministry RIA Novosti 04 Jan 2012 -- Moscow welcomes the relaunch of negotiations between Israel and Palestine, Russian Foreign Ministry said.
- Top UN official in Iraq urges dialogue to resolve tensions UN News Centre 04 Jan 2012 -- The United Nations envoy to Iraq voiced concern over Iraq's continued political stalemate and rising sectarian tensions.
- Turkey to Broach Kurdistan Issue in Tehran VOA 04 Jan 2012 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu is in Iran for talks that are expected to address the burgeoning political crisis in neighboring Iraq.
- AU Prepares Big Anti-Shabab Military Push in Somalia VOA 04 Jan 2012 -- The African Union is preparing to intensify its military campaign against Somalia's al-Qaida inspired al-Shabab militants.
- Kenya Says Forces Take Somali Town from al-Shabab VOA 04 Jan 2012 -- The Kenyan army says it has taken a town in southern Somalia from militant group al-Shabab in a joint operation with Somali government forces.
- UN agency voices deep concern over continued ethnic violence in South Sudan UN News Centre 04 Jan 2012 -- The United Nations World Food Programme expressed deep concern about the deadly ethnic violence in South Sudan’s Jonglei state.
- UN relief chief visits Sudan to discuss food insecurity in two states UN News Centre 04 Jan 2012 -- Reports from people fleeing two troubled Sudanese states indicate food insecurity and rising levels of malnutrition, the United Nations humanitarian chief warned.
- UN Seeks Access to War-Torn Sudanese States VOA 04 Jan 2012 -- The top U.N. humanitarian official has visited Sudan to discuss a growing crisis in two southern states where Khartoum has banned foreign aid groups.
- Moldova Again Demands Changes In Format Of Peacekeeping Mission RFE/RL 04 Jan 2012 -- Moldova's government is again demanding that Russia agree to transform its peacekeeping mission in the breakaway Moldovan region of Transdniester into a civil one with an international mandate.
- Cyprus: Leaders to continue UN-backed talks on core issues UN News Centre 04 Jan 2012 -- The leaders of the Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot communities will continue to make efforts to reach agreement on core issues.
- Iranian Guards Face Murder Charges In Pakistan RFE/RL 04 Jan 2012 -- A Pakistani official says three Iranian border guards held in Quetta face murder charges after gunning down a man inside Pakistani territory while chasing people smugglers.
- Protecting Libya's heritage NATO 04 Jan 2012-- During the conflict in Libya there were allegations that pro-Qadhafi troops and missiles were being hidden in the ancient city of Leptis Magna and that Qadhafi was using it as an archaeological shield.
- KCNA Condemns Japan for Its Unpardonable Immoral Act KCNA 04 Jan 2012 -- The world is watching the DPRK wailing in bitter grief over the untimely demise of Kim Jong Il, the father of the nation.
- Koreans Called on to Make Breakthrough towards Reunification KCNA 04 Jan 2012 -- All Koreans at home and abroad should turn out in the nationwide movement for national reunification.
- Kim Jong Il was Outstanding Political Elder KCNA 04 Jan 2012 -- Leader Kim Jong Il was an outstanding political elder and peerlessly great master of politics who skillfully steered the complicated and turbulent trend of world politics in the direction of independence.
- Young Koreans Vow to Implement Joint New Year Editorial KCNA 04 Jan 2012 -- Young Koreans gathered to vow to thoroughly implement the decision of the Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea and the joint calls of the Central Committee and the Central Military Commission of the WPK.
- Mass Rallies Held in Localities of DPRK KCNA 04 Jan 2012 -- Mass rallies took place in South Phyongan, Jagang, North Hwanghae and Kangwon Provinces and Nampho City of the DPRK.
- MIDDLE EAST: The year that was IRIN 04 Jan 2012 -- When hundreds of thousands of people across the Arab world poured into the streets in 2011 to demand freedom from dictatorship, they set in motion a series of events.
- U.S. Hails EU Step On Iran Oil Ban As 'Good News' RFE/RL 04 Jan 2012 -- The United States has welcomed an agreement in principle by European governments to ban the import of Iranian crude oil as "very good news."
- EU Agrees to Ban Iranian Oil Imports VOA 04 Jan 2012 -- European Union governments have agreed to ban imports of Iranian oil as part of a Western campaign to pressure Iran over its controversial nuclear program.
- China Criticizes US Sanctions Against Iran VOA 04 Jan 2012 -- China is voicing strong opposition to U.S. sanctions against Iran.
- Iran says date of IAEA inspectors' visit "unclear" ISNA 04 Jan 2012 -- The Head Atomic Energy Organization of Iran Abbasi-Davani said the exact time for the travel of the IAEA inspectors' delegation to Iran is still unclear.
- Egypt Prosecution: Mubarak, Aides Ordered Killings RFE/RL 04 Jan 2012 -- The prosecution in the Hosni Mubarak trial says it has concluded that Egypt's ousted president, his security chief, and six top police officers were the "actual instigators" of the killing of more than 800 protesters.
- Egyptians Vote in Final Round of Parliamentary Elections VOA 04 Jan 2012 -- Voters in rural areas of Egypt go to the polls in the third and final phase of elections that have so far been dominated by Islamist parties.
- Egyptians Vote In End Of First Stage RFE/RL 04 Jan 2012 -- Egyptians go to the polls for a second day today in the final stage of the election for the lower house of parliament.
- Africa's Many Elections Reap Few Rewards VOA 04 Jan 2012 -- Much like in 2011, there will be many elections across sub-Saharan Africa in 2012, including presidential polls now scheduled in Ghana, Senegal, Kenya, Mali, Madagascar, Sierra Leone and possibly Zimbabwe.
- Kenyans Still Living in Camps From '07 Elections VOA 04 Jan 2012 -- As Kenya enters 2012, an election year, there are still thousands of Kenyans languishing in temporary settlements, having been displaced by the violence of the last elections in late 2007.
- Burma Celebrates Independence Amid Criticism VOA 04 Jan 2012 -- Burma is marking the 64th anniversary of its independence from Britain, amid criticism that the government's recent clemency program is not doing enough for political prisoners.
- Burmese Leaders Slow to Move on Much Needed Economic Reforms VOA 04 Jan 2012 -- While Burma gains notice for its pro-democratic political reforms, efforts to boost economic development have been slower. Rising consumer prices are testing the public's patience and hopes for change.
- Kazakh President Extends State Of Emergency In Oil City RFE/RL 04 Jan 2012 -- Kazakh President Nazarbaev has issued a decree extending until January 31 a state of emergency in the western oil city of Zhanaozen.
- Kazakhstan extends state of emergency in Zhanaozen RIA Novosti 04 Jan 2012 -- Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbayev extended a state of emergency in Zhanaozen, the Mangistau region of Kazakhstan, to January 31.
- Ethnic Kyrgyz Have Trouble Gaining Citizenship In Kyrgyzstan RFE/RL 04 Jan 2012 -- Some ethnic Kyrgyz expatriates who have returned to Kyrgyzstan from neighboring Tajikistan say they are skeptical that eased regulations will help them gain Kyrgyz citizenship.
- Turkmenistan's 'Protector' Registers For Presidential Election RFE/RL 04 Jan 2012 -- Turkmen President Gurbanguly Berdymukhammedov has been registered as a candidate for a second term in Turkmenistan's February 12 presidential election.
- Ban welcomes move to end state of emergency in Fiji UN News Centre 04 Jan 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today welcomed the announcement by Fiji that it will lift the state of emergency imposed in 2009, calling it a "positive step" towards restoring constitutional order in the South Pacific archipelago.
- Obama Signs Belarus Human Rights And Democracy Act RFE/RL 04 Jan 2012 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has signed into law a strengthened sanctions regime for Belarus.
- Barack Obama signs into law Belarus sanctions bill RIA Novosti 04 Jan 2012 -- U.S. President Barack Obama signed into law the Belarus Democracy and Human Rights Act of 2011.
- Reports: France To Speed Up Vote On Armenian Genocide Bill RFE/RL 04 Jan 2012 -- French media reports say France's upper house of parliament will vote this month on a bill to criminalize the denial of an Armenian genocide, at the risk of incurring further sanctions from Turkey.
- Tymoshenko Team, Prison Officials Spar Over Bright Lights RFE/RL 04 Jan 2012 -- What kind of conditions is Yulia Tymoshenko facing in jail? It all depends on whom you ask.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|