31 December 2011 Military News
- Paramilitary rangers directed to take US cargo in possession IRNA 31 Dec 2011 -- The government of Pakistan has directed paramilitary rangers to take possession of highly sensitive US cargo stranded in Pakistan, a media report said on Saturday.
- Pakistan army kills foreigners in Waziristan IRNA 31 Dec 2011 -- Pakistan Security forces said on Friday that they had killed several foreigners in the troubled South Waziristan tribal region.
Defense Policy / Programs
- F-15 Sale to Saudi Arabia Part of Broader Effort AFPS 31 Dec 2011 -- The recently announced $29.4 billion sale of F-15SA fighter aircraft to Saudi Arabia is just one part of a broader U.S.-Saudi military sales and defense cooperation effort that's central to regional security, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said.
- Panetta Urges Egyptian Military to Advance Democratic Process AFPS 31 Dec 2011 -- Expressing 'deep concern' about raids earlier this week on non-governmental organizations operating in Egypt, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta emphasized to the leader of Egypt's Supreme Council of the Armed Forces yesterday that it's time to move the democratic process forward.
- Russia hands over Nerpa nuclear attack submarine to India: report IRNA 31 Dec 2011 -- Russia has handed over the much-awaited nuclear-powered attack submarine Nerpa to India on a 10-year lease, boosting the Indian navy's fire-power.
- Defense minister stresses importance of public presence IRNA 31 Dec 2011 -- Defense Minister Brigadier-General Ahmad Vahidi said on Saturday that people's support for the Islamic Republic system plays a pivotal role in deterring hostile approach of enemies of Islam and Iran.
- Navy torpedo units attacking surface, aerial targets IRNA 31 Dec 2011 -- Spokesman for 'Velayat-90' navy drills Admiral Seyyed Mahmoud Mousavi said Saturday that marine rocket units based on missile-carrying destroyers will be attacking hypothetical surface, flying and bright targets.
- Iran starts 'Phase of Power' in southern naval drill ISNA 31 Dec 2011 -- Iran began the third stage of naval maneuver codenamed 'Phase of Power' Saturday in southern Strait of Hormuz.
- 9 Killed in Syria, Opposition Groups Unite VOA 31 Dec 2011 -- Activists say Syrian forces killed at least nine people on Saturday, as Arab League observers were in the fifth day of their mission to monitor the government's pledge to end a crackdown on dissent.
- Red Cross: Humanitarian Aid Hampered by Violence in Syria VOA 31 Dec 2011 -- The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) says it is concerned about the escalating violence in Syria. The aid organization says it is particularly worried that the wounded and sick are unable to get access to medical care.
- North Korea Officially Names Kim Jong Un Supreme Commander VOA 31 Dec 2011 -- North Korea has officially named Kim Jong Un as supreme commander of the country's military forces, affirming his authority after his father's death.
- Iran warns of tough response to threats ISNA 31 Dec 2011 -- The Secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council Saeed Jalili warned Saturday the country would give harsh response to any threat.
- Iran invited Group 5+1 to return to negotiation table - Jalili says IRNA 31 Dec 2011 -- Secretary of Supreme National Security Council Saeed Jalili said on Saturday that Iran has invited the Group 5+1 to come back to negotiations and cooperation.
- Jalili: Any threats against Iran receives severe response IRNA 31 Dec 2011 -- Secretary of Supreme National Security Council Saeed Jalili said on Saturday Iran gives severe responses to any threats.
- Iran Calls for New Nuclear Talks VOA 31 Dec 2011 -- Iran's National Security Adviser Saeed Jalili is calling for a new round of negotiations with the West over its nuclear program, amid heightened tensions in the Persian Gulf over threats by Tehran to close the vital Strait of Hormuz. About 40 percent of the world's oil purchases transit through that waterway.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|