24 June 2011 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 24 Jun 2011 [PDF]
- Afghan Drawdown Leaves Unanswered Questions VOA 24 Jun 2011 -- President Barack Obama plans to complete the withdrawal of 33,000 troops from Afghanistan by September, 2012.
- Afghan, Coalition Forces Kill Insurgents AFPS 24 Jun 2011 -- A combined Afghan and coalition security force killed two insurgents and detained several suspects yesterday while searching for a Taliban leader in the Sar-e Pul district of Sar-e Pul province.
- France to Withdraw Hundreds of Troops From Afghanistan VOA 24 Jun 2011 -- France says it will pull hundreds of troops from Afghanistan by the end of the year, following a similar announcement by the United States earlier this week.
- France To Withdraw Hundreds Of Troops From Afghanistan By The End Of The Year RFE/RL 24 Jun 2011 -- President Nicolas Sarkozy has announced that "several hundred" French troops will be withdrawn from Afghanistan before the end of 2011.
- Spain Says All Its Troops To Leave Afghanistan By 2014 RFE/RL 24 Jun 2011 -- Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero has said that Spain will withdraw 10 percent of its 1,500 troops in Afghanistan in the first half of next year.
- Iranian, Pakistani, Afghan presidents attend Trilateral meeting IRNA 24 Jun 2011 -- A trilateral meeting was held between Iranian, Pakistani and Afghan presidents in Tehran.
- SAGE aims to save fuel in Afghanistan Army News 24 Jun 2011 -- In a June 7 memo to commanders in Afghanistan, Gen. David Petraeus said he expects them to 'take ownership' of their units' fuel requirements, as a way to reduce the amount of fuel needed in theater.
- UN Sees Decline In Afghan Opium Production But Predicts Rise RFE/RL 24 Jun 2011 -- The global manufacturing of heroin and cocaine remains at significantly high levels.
- Contracting Center helps build a better Afghanistan Army News 24 Jun 2011 -- Working in a combat zone, such as Operation Enduring Freedom, presents various challenges in the integral world of expeditionary contracting.
- NATO and Libya - Operational Media Update: 23 Jun 2011
- US Lawmakers Reject Attempt to Cut Funding for Libya Mission VOA 24 Jun 2011 -- A divided U.S. House of Representatives has sent a mixed message to President Barack Obama on U.S. military involvement in Libya.
- US Lawmakers Reject Measure to Support Libya Mission VOA 24 Jun 2011 -- The Republican-controlled U.S. House of Representatives has rejected a measure authorizing ongoing U.S. military action in Libya.
- House votes against U.S. military campaign in Libya RIA Novosti 24 Jun 2011 -- The House of Representatives of the U.S. Congress voted down on Friday a resolution giving President Barack Obama the authority to order military action in Libya.
- US Lawmakers Consider Cutting Funds for Libya Operations VOA 24 Jun 2011 -- The Republican-controlled U.S. House of Representatives takes on two critical votes Friday on the U.S. military role in Libya that has been a source of anger for many in Congress.
- NATO Strikes Key Command & Control Nodes in Brega NATO 24 Jun 2011 -- NATO struck several key command and control nodes in the vicinity of Brega. Brega has been the scene of significant Qadhafi regime military activity.
- Good progress seen in Libya operations UK MOD 24 Jun 2011 -- UK's Chief of the Defence Staff's spokesman, Major General Nick Pope, and senior Foreign Office official Ed Herbert said 'good progress' is being made.
- Phone Offers Clues to bin Laden's Pakistan Links VOA 24 Jun 2011 -- A cell phone found during the raid that killed al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden in Pakistan contained contacts to a militant group.
- Police foil terrorist attack in Pakistan's Karachi IRNA 24 Jun 2011 -- Police in Pakistani port city of Karachi said that they have foiled a terror plot to attack a congregation Friday prayers.
- Critics Say Pakistan's Blasphemy Law is Being Abused VOA 24 Jun 2011 -- In January, the governor of Pakistan’s Punjab province, Salman Taseer, was assassinated by his bodyguard.
- 207th Aviation supports command group Army News 24 Jun 2011 -- Operations in Iraq depend on generals making decisions and Soldiers executing them.
- Aircraft stage from Kirtland to fight fires AFNS 24 Jun 2011 -- Two C-130J Hercules equipped with Modular Airborne Firefighting Systems arrived here June 15, 2011, to conduct firefighting missions in support of wildfire suppression efforts in the Southwestern United States.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Remarks by the President at Carnegie Mellon University's National Robotics Engineering Center The White House 24 Jun 2011
- Remarks by Deputy Secretary Lynn at Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pa DoD 24 Jun 2011
- Allied Strike 2011 kicks off in Germany AFNS 24 Jun 2011 -- Allied Strike 2011, the largest joint terminal attack controller and close-air-support exercise in Europe, kicked off here this morning with an opening ceremony which included three airmen jumping out of a C-130J Super Hercules and a welcome address by the commander of the 4th Air Support Operations Group, the unit sponsoring the exercise.
- Army's largest command cases colors for move to Fort Bragg, N.C. Army News 24 Jun 2011 -- U.S. Army Forces Command, a command responsible for more than 800,000 Soldiers nationwide, cased its colors today in advance of its permanent relocation to Fort Bragg, N.C.
- Micro-cyber; The future of the Signal Regiment Army News 24 Jun 2011 -- A massive transformation of the Signal Regiment has been cleared to move forward according to the Chief of Signal.
- Enterprise, Bush Conduct Unique Pass in Red Sea NNS 24 Jun 2011 -- As the U.S. Navy's oldest and newest aircraft carriers passed each other in the Bab el-Mandeb Strait, Red Sea, a few Sailors had the chance to reunite with family members stationed aboard the other ships, June 21.
- Officer Retirement Board Zones Defined NNS 24 Jun 2011 -- The Secretary of the Navy approved the convening of the fiscal year 2012 selective early retirement board for captains and commanders in the unrestricted line, July 25.
- USS Carr Enters 6th Fleet AOR NNS 24 Jun 2011 -- Guided-missile frigate USS Carr (FFG 52) began operating in the U.S. 6th Fleet area of responsibility as part of a scheduled three-month deployment, June 24.
- APS Completes Training in Cameroon NNS 24 Jun 2011 -- Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Europe-Africa (CNE-CNA) personnel closed out an Africa Partnership Station (APS) 2011 training hub in Cameroon, June 22.
- USS John L. Hall Assists Disabled Vessel During GOMEX Quick Draw 2011 NNS 24 Jun 2011 -- While underway in support of the 2011 Gulf of Mexico (GOMEX) Quick Draw exercise, guided-missile frigate USS John L. Hall (FFG 32) responded to a mayday issued by a U.S. flagged vessel, June 16.
- USS Texas Departs for Western Pacific Deployment NNS 24 Jun 2011 -- Virginia-class submarine USS Texas (SSN 775) departed Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii, for a scheduled Western Pacific deployment, June 23.
- Frank Cable Holds Change of Command NNS 24 Jun 2011 -- Sailors assigned to submarine tender USS Frank Cable (AS 40) welcomed aboard a new captain during a change of command ceremony in Polaris Point, Guam, June 24.
- Australian Navy Delivers Veterinary Care during Pacific Partnership 2011 NNS 24 Jun 2011 -- Veterinarians and technicians from the U.S Army, Australian Army, Spanish Navy and non-government organizations World Vets and Vets without Borders, concluded a four-day mission to provide veterinary care for the residents of Puno, Timor-Leste, June 20-23.
- Pacific Partnership Team Participates in NGO Conference in Timor-Leste NNS 24 Jun 2011 -- Non-governmental organizations (NGO) met with local Timorese citizens and Pacific Partnership staff in Timor-Leste to discuss the roles they play in humanitarian assistance and disaster response (HA/DR) operations, June 21.
- UASTB holds redesignation, change of command ceremony Army News 24 Jun 2011 -- A redesignation and change of command ceremony was held for the Unmanned Aircraft Systems Training Battalion.
- US Marines, sailors share best practices with Malaysian Rangers USMC News 24 Jun 2011 -- Marines and sailors with Landing Force Company arrived at the Eram Sisik Training Area in Kemaman Terengganu, Malaysia.
- US, local forces provide aid to Cambodians USMC News 24 Jun 2011 -- More than 40 Marines and sailors from 3rd Medical Battalion provided medical and dental aid to more than 2,700 Cambodian citizens during the combined Medical Civic Action Program.
- Intrepid Center Marks First Anniversary AFPS 24 Jun 2011 -- The National Intrepid Center of Excellence is making a difference in the lives of warfighters suffering traumatic brain injuries and psychological disorders.
- U.S. rejected Taiwan's requests for F-16 C/D three times CNA 24 Jun 2011 -- The US has thrice rejected Taiwan's letters of request for procurement and acquisition of advanced F-16 C/D jet fighters.
- Taiwan's plan to buy F16C/D not going well: president CNA 24 Jun 2011 -- Taiwan's attempts at buying F16C/D jet fighters from the United States to replace its aging fleet have not been going well.
- Ukraine, NATO to carry out radioactive clean-up RIA Novosti 24 Jun 2011 -- Ukraine and NATO will begin a joint ecological project to clean up the territory of Ukraine from military radioactive sources leftover from the Soviet era.
- June 24, 2011 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 24 Jun 2011
- Press Gaggle by Jay Carney En Route Washington, D.C. The White House 24 Jun 2011
- 24 June 2011 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 24 Jun 2011
- Press Conference on Tunisia's Accession to International Criminal Court Statute United Nations 24 Jun 2011
- Fighting and need for aid increase in north-western Libya UN News Centre 24 Jun 2011 -- Fighting has intensified in north-western regions of Libya and the United Nations has stepped up its effort to help wounded civilians in the area.
- Gaddafi could flee Libya in 2-3 weeks RIA Novosti 24 Jun 2011 -- Libyan embattled leader Gaddafi will secretly leave the country in the next two-three weeks, former foreign minister Abdel Rahman Shalgham said.
- Red Cross Ferries Displaced, Prisoners From Libyan Capital VOA 24 Jun 2011 -- The International Committee for the Red Cross has brought some 300 people out of Tripoli.
- Medics: Yemeni Forces Open Fire at Funeral VOA 24 Jun 2011 -- Yemeni security forces have opened fire on thousands of people gathered for a funeral in the southern part of the country, killing at least one person.
- Yemen: UN experts to conduct human rights mission UN News Centre 24 Jun 2011 -- The United Nations will send a mission to Yemen next week to assess its human rights situation after hundreds of persons have died this year during clashes between Government forces and protesters.
- YEMEN: Timeline of key events since 18 May IRIN 24 Jun 2011 -- Hundreds of people have been killed or injured in the four-month-long protests against the regime of President Ali Abdullah Saleh.
- Beijing Advisers Respond to Clinton with Tough Talk on Islands Dispute VOA 24 Jun 2011 -- Chinese foreign policy analysts are rejecting Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s pledge to support the Philippines.
- US Sharpens Warning on Gaza Flotilla VOA 24 Jun 2011 -- The US sharpened its warnings to activists planning a new attempt to break the Israeli naval blockade and deliver relief supplies to Palestinians in the Gaza strip.
- US Opposes New Flotilla Challenging Israel's Gaza Blockade VOA 24 Jun 2011 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton says she opposes plans by pro-Palestinian activists to again try to challenge Israel's sea blockade of the Gaza Strip.
- Ireland warns Israel against attacking second Gaza flotilla IRNA 24 Jun 2011 -- Irish FM Gilmore has warned Israel against any repeat of last year's massacre of nine human rights activists aboard the Gaza Freedom flotilla.
- UN chief renews calls for release of Israeli soldier abducted five years ago UN News Centre 24 Jun 2011 -- Secretary-General Ban called once again for the immediate release of Israeli Staff Sergeant Gilad Shalit.
- Pakistan, India to strengthen anti-terror cooperation IRNA 24 Jun 2011 -- Top Pakistani and Indian diplomats Friday concluded their two-day dialogue with a positive note and agreed on the need to strengthen cooperation on counter-terrorism.
- UN official 'shocked' by conditions in Darfur camp for displaced UN News Centre 24 Jun 2011 -- A high-ranking UN human rights official said she was shocked at the conditions of a camp for internally displaced persons in Darfur.
- Human Resources Key to Southern Sudan's Success VOA 24 Jun 2011 -- After more than two decades of civil war with the North, Southern Sudan is set to become an independent country on July 9.
- Somalia: Security Council calls for inclusive and comprehensive peace strategy UN News Centre 24 Jun 2011 -- The Security Council reiterated the need for a comprehensive and inclusive strategy to encourage the restoration of peace and stability in Somalia.
- Armenia, Azerbaijan Fail To Finalize Karabakh Agreement RFE/RL 24 Jun 2011 -- Armenian President Serzh Sarkisian and his Azerbaijani counterpart Ilham Aliyev have failed to reach a breakthrough in negotiations on Nagorno-Karabakh.
- Armenia, Azerbaijan fail to reach agreement on Nagorny Karabakh RIA Novosti 24 Jun 2011 -- Armenia and Azerbaijan were unable to come to an agreement on the path to peace in Nagorny Karabakh.
- Armenia, Azerbaijan Pressured to Agree on Nagorno-Karabakh VOA 24 Jun 2011 -- The US and Russia are urging the leaders of Armenia and Azerbaijan to come to an agreement in their long and often violent dispute over the territory of Nagorno-Karabakh.
- Obama Calls Armenian, Azerbaijani Leaders Ahead Of Summit RFE/RL 24 Jun 2011 -- The White House says U.S. President Barack Obama has telephoned the presidents of Armenia and Azerbaijan to urge progress in talks to end the conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh.
- Armenia and Azerbaijan to sign no use of force agreement on Nagorny Karabakh RIA Novosti 24 Jun 2011 -- Armenian President Serzh Sargasyan and Azerbaijani President Ilkham Aliyev are to sign a document which will oblige them not to use force while resolving the Nagorny Karabakh conflict.
- UN envoys voice outrage after mass rape in eastern DR Congo UN News Centre 24 Jun 2011 -- The envoy spearheading UN efforts to combat sexual violence during conflicts has strongly condemned mass rape of more than 150 civilians in the far east of the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- UN Court Convicts First Woman in 1994 Rwanda Genocide VOA 24 Jun 2011 -- A U.N. court has sentenced a former Rwandan government minister to life in prison for her role in the 1994 genocide in that country.
- China Defends Engagement with Africa VOA 24 Jun 2011 -- Chinese officials are defending their approach to engagement with Africa, saying embargoes and sanctions against Sudan and other brutal African governments do not work.
- Small Asteroid to Whip Past Earth on June 27, 2011 NASA/JPL 24 Jun 2011 -- Near-Earth asteroid 2011 MD will pass only 12,000 kilometers (7,500 miles) above the Earth's surface on Monday June 27 at about 9:30 EDT.
- Protesters, Security Forces Face Off in Syria; 12 Dead VOA 24 Jun 2011 -- At least 12 people were killed Friday when Syrian security forces fired on crowds as protesters took to the streets nationwide.
- Protesters, Security Forces Face Off in Syria VOA 24 Jun 2011 -- At least 11 people were killed when Syrian security forces fired on crowds as thousands of protesters took to the streets nationwide.
- At least seven dead in Syria clashes RIA Novosti 24 Jun 2011 -- At least seven people are reported to have died on Friday across Syria during protests against President Bashar al-Assad.
- EU Imposes New Sanctions on Syria VOA 24 Jun 2011 -- The European Union has expanded its financial and travel sanctions against Syria and moved to condemn its brutal crackdown on anti-government protesters.
- Clinton Warns Of Escalation At Syria-Turkey Border RFE/RL 24 Jun 2011 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has called on Syria to pull back troops from near the border with Turkey.
- Turkey Says 1,500 Syrians Fled Across Its Border in One Day VOA 24 Jun 2011 -- Turkey says that more than 1,500 Syrian refugees crossed its border as Syrian forces stormed to the region in their latest show of force.
- More Than 1,500 Syrians Flee To Turkey, Clinton Warns Against Escalation RFE/RL 24 Jun 2011 -- More than 1,500 Syrian refugees crossed the border to Turkey over the past 24 hours, as the Syrian army swept up to the frontier.
- Protests erupt in Syrian cities again after Friday prayers RIA Novosti 24 Jun 2011 -- Protests and clashes erupted in a number of Syrian towns following Muslim prayers on Friday.
- Bahrain trials bear marks of 'political persecution,' says UN human rights office UN News Centre 24 Jun 2011 -- The UN human rights office spoke out against the harsh sentences, including life imprisonment, handed down this week to several activists in Bahrain.
- Tunisia becomes first North African nation to join International Criminal Court UN News Centre 24 Jun 2011 -- Tunisia became the first North African nation to join the International Criminal Court and the 116th party to the treaty.
- Russia irked by new US anti-Iran sanctions IRNA 24 Jun 2011 -- Russian Foreign Ministry in a statement issued on Friday strongly questioned the new US sanctions imposed on three Iranian companies.
- Russia questions new U.S. sanctions against Iranian companies RIA Novosti 24 Jun 2011 -- Unilateral U.S. sanctions against a major Iranian port operator and the country's national airline raise serious questions.
- Amano: No difference on continued dialogue with Iran IRNA 24 Jun 2011 -- The IAEA Director General Yukiya Amano welcomed dialogue with Iran, saying there is no difference of opinion on dialogue and talks with Iran.
- Soltanieh: IAEA Nuclear Safety Conference was of high significance IRNA 24 Jun 2011 -- Iran’s IAEA envoy Soltanieh, says Iran had a high-level representation in the IAEA Ministerial Conference on Nuclear Safety.
- China hopes for new round of talks between six world powers and Iran IRNA 24 Jun 2011 -- China hoped to see a new round of talks between Iran and the five permanent members of the UN Security Council plus Germany.
- Obama extends sanctions on North Korea RIA Novosti 24 Jun 2011 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has extended sanctions against North Korea for another year.
- Japan's Crippled Power Plant Faces More Difficulties VOA 24 Jun 2011 -- A drone aircraft being used to take air samples at Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant crash landed on the roof of the Unit 2 reactor.
- Iraq Said To Be Planning Currency Overhaul, Redenomination RFE/RL 24 Jun 2011 -- A senior Iraqi Central Bank adviser says the government has adopted a two-pronged plan to restructure the national currency.
- Press Conference on Bolivia's Proposed Amendment to 1961 Narcotic Drugs Convention United Nations 24 Jun 2011
- Drugs and crime threaten global peace, warrant action, Security Council told UN News Centre 24 Jun 2011 -- Illicit drugs and transnational organized crime can undercut security and development in countries and across regions.
- In Brief: UNODC warning on opium cultivation in Myanmar IRIN 24 Jun 2011 -- A rapid increase in opium cultivation in Myanmar's eastern and southern areas of Shan State since 2009 is an alarming trend for Southeast Asia.
- Senegal Protests Disrupt Plans for Vice Presidency VOA 24 Jun 2011 -- Violent protests and opposition from his own party this week forced Senegalese President Abdoulaye Wade to give up changes that would have made it easier for him to win re-election.
- Belarus Crackdown To Feature In Community Of Democracies Meeting RFE/RL 24 Jun 2011 -- The Belarusian government's crackdown on dissenters will feature in Community of Democracies meeting.
- Kazakhstan Again Seeks Extradition Of Aliev From Austria RFE/RL 24 Jun 2011 -- Kazakhstan has sent another request to the Austrian government calling for the extradition of Rakhat Aliev, the former son-in-law of Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbaev.
- New Initiative Aims to Meet Food and Climate Change Concerns VOA 24 Jun 2011 -- Boosting agriculture, while reducing greenhouse gas emissions. That’s the goal of the new Global Research Alliance, which was unveiled Friday in Rome.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|