Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2011 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 30 Jun 2011 [PDF]
- Estimated cost of post-9/11 wars: 225,000 lives, up to $4 trillion 'Costs of War' Project 29 Jun 2011 -- The cost of wars in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Pakistan are estimated at 225,000 lives and up to $4 trillion in U.S. spending, in a new report by scholars with the Eisenhower Research Project at Brown University's Watson Institute for International Studies.
- U.S. turns joint security stations over to Iraqis Army News 29 Jun 2011 -- Three joint security stations located in southern Iraq were signed over to the Iraqis June 19 through June 22.
- Report: Iraq, Afghanistan Wars Cost US Nearly $4 Trillion VOA 29 Jun 2011 -- A new report issued by Brown University says the cost of America's wars in Iraq and Afghanistan - and operations in Pakistan - will cost the country nearly $4 trillion. The report's total is more than three times higher than U.S. President Barack Obama's estimate in a recent speech.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 29 Jun 2011 [PDF]
- Salvage Divers Beach a Sunken Pier at Umm Qasr Port NNS 28 Jun 2011 -- Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit (MDSU) Two, Company 2-4 divers assigned to Commander Task Group (CTG) 56.1 beached a sunken pier at the port of Umm Qasr, Iraq, June 14, after three years of excavation.
- Iraqi soldiers defend position during company level training at GWTC Army News 28 Jun 2011 -- Concealing themselves in camouflaged firing positions, Iraqi soldiers assigned to 1st Battalion, 10th Brigade, 3rd Iraqi Army Division, worked as a company to defend their positions during defense training at Ghuzlani Warrior Training Center, Iraq, June 20.
- Ghost troopers mentor, develop IA leaders Army News 28 Jun 2011 -- Soldiers of 3rd Brigade, 2nd Iraqi Army Division, successfully qualified with their M16A4 rifles after firing several magazines of ammunition at a live fire training range at Joint Security Station India, Iraq, June 16.
- Sgt. Maj. of the Army visits COS Marez Army News 28 Jun 2011 -- Sergeant Major of the Army Raymond F. Chandler III met with senior U.S. Division - North leaders, spoke with Soldiers and witnessed U.S. and Iraqi troops working together during a visit to Contingency Operating Sites Marez and Diamondback in Ninewa province, Iraq, June 23.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 28 Jun 2011 [PDF]
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 27 Jun 2011 [PDF]
- Iraq's Oil Industry To Be Monitored By Transparency Group RFE/RL 27 Jun 2011 -- Iraq has committed to providing accurate figures about its oil revenues by agreeing to verify details of its oil industry with an international transparency organization, RFE/RL's Radio Free Iraq (RFI) reports.
- 151st Expeditionary Signal Battalion Conducts Transfer of Authority Ceremony in Iraq Army News 26 Jun 2011 -- The 151st Expeditionary Signal Battalion (ESB), Task Force Palmetto, cased their colors June 20, marking the ceremonial completion of their mission in Iraq during a Transfer of Authority (TOA) to 50th Signal Battalion (Expeditionary).
- Supreme Leader receives Iraqi President Talabani IRNA 26 Jun 2011 -- Supreme Leader of Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei received Iraqi President Jalal Talabani here on Saturday.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 24 Jun 2011 [PDF]
- 207th Aviation supports command group Army News 24 Jun 2011 -- Operations in Iraq depend on generals making decisions and Soldiers executing them.
- Iraq Said To Be Planning Currency Overhaul, Redenomination RFE/RL 24 Jun 2011 -- A senior Iraqi Central Bank adviser says the government has adopted a two-pronged plan to restructure the national currency.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 23 Jun 2011 [PDF]
- Baghdad Market Blasts Kill At Least 21 RFE/RL 23 Jun 2011 -- Iraqi security officials say three explosions tore through a market in southern Baghdad, killing at least 21 people and wounding more than 40.
- Vanguard Soldiers return home Army News 23 Jun 2011 -- Approximately 1,000 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division Soldiers were welcomed home by thousands of Family Members and friends, June 19 - 21.
- Welcome back! 299th returns to Belvoir after a successful deployment to Iraq Army News 23 Jun 2011 -- Family and friends of the 299th Engineer Company Multi-Role Bridge welcomed them home to Fort Belvoir Monday, after their deployment to Iraq.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 22 Jun 2011 [PDF]
- Readout of Vice President Biden's Meeting with Iraqi Council of Representatives Speaker Osama al-Nujaifi The White House 22 Jun 2011
- Army on course to leave Iraq by December Army News 22 Jun 2011 -- General helping to ensure the Dec. 31 deadline is met said that many of the tasks the military now does will fall into the hands of the State Department and Iraqi Security Forces.
- Iranian Officials Unhurt After Baghdad Attack VOA 22 Jun 2011 -- Iraqi officials say a series of shooting and bomb attacks in the capital, Baghdad, has killed one person and wounded about 30 others.
- Iran says visiting delegation in Iraq safe, sound ISNA 22 Jun 2011 -- Iranian ambassador to Iraq Hassan Danaei-Far said on Wednesday the visiting Iranian delegation in Iraq is safe and sound.
- Iran Says Oil Officials Attacked In Iraq RFE/RL 22 Jun 2011 -- Iran's Oil Ministry said that a visiting Iranian oil delegation was attacked by "terrorists" in Iraq on June 22 but were unharmed.
- Ban calls for further steps by Iraq to fulfil post-invasion pledges to Kuwait UN News Centre 22 Jun 2011 -- Secretary-General Ban has encouraged the Iraqi Government to act quickly to fulfil its obligations to find Kuwaiti or third country nationals, property and archives lost in Saddam Hussein’s invasion.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 21 Jun 2011 [PDF]
- Car Bombs Kill 25 Outside Iraqi Governor's House VOA 21 Jun 2011 -- Iraqi officials say two car bomb blasts in the city of Diwaniyah have killed at least 25 people and wounded 30 others.
- Car Bombs Kill More Than 20 In Central Iraq RFE/RL 21 Jun 2011 -- Local Iraqi officials say two car bombs near the home of the provincial governor have killed more than 20 and wounded more than 30 in Diwaniya.
- Iraqi committee to specify ways for MKO exit ISNA 21 Jun 2011 -- An Iraqi committee is to specify ways for terrorist MKO exit, said Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zabari.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 20 Jun 2011 [PDF]
- Roadside Bomb Wounds 7 in Baghdad VOA 20 Jun 2011 -- Iraqi officials say a roadside bomb has exploded near a French embassy convoy in Baghdad.
- French Embassy Car Hit By Roadside Bomb In Baghdad RFE/RL 20 Jun 2011 -- Iraqi police said a roadside bomb hit a French Embassy convoy traveling through Baghdad.
- Iraqi mortar crews build confidence, prepare for Operation Iron Lion Army News 20 Jun 2011 -- Soldiers assigned to 1st Battalion, 10th Brigade, 3rd Iraqi Army Division, conducted a mortar live fire exercise.
- 402nd AFSB helps equip advise & assist troops Army News 20 Jun 2011 -- The 402nd Army Field Support Brigade is often called upon to fulfill unique missions.
- 'Cement Sentinels' stand silent guard Army News 19 Jun 2011 -- For the past several years, security barriers have been used as protection for U.S. troops and civilians in Afghanistan and Iraq.
- Mobile Parts Hospital fabricates crucial MRAP door pins Army News 19 Jun 2011 -- Maxx Pro MRAP vehicles began rolling onto to Joint Base Balad last month with bent or missing emergency quick release pins for their rear doors.
- Iraq To Use Saddam's Palaces As Resorts, Museums RFE/RL 18 Jun 2011 -- The Iraqi government says several of former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein's most lavish palaces will be transformed into tourist facilities, museums, and galleries, RFE/RL's Radio Free Iraq (RFI) reports.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 17 Jun 2011 [PDF]
- 402nd AFSB provides retrograde support Army News 17 Jun 2011 -- The 402nd Army Field Support Brigade is the premiere single face to the field for theater property accountability, RESET, and responsible drawdown of equipment in Iraq.
- 402nd AFSB fielding H-AAB equipment set in Iraq Army News 16 Jun 2011 -- The 402nd Army Field Support Brigade is often called upon to fulfill unique missions.
- Vanguards head home, begin transferring mission Army News 16 Jun 2011 -- Soldiers of the 4th Advise and Assist Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division are packing their bags and preparing to return to Fort Stewart, Ga., as they near the completion of their year-long tour to Iraq. The team of 3,000 Soldiers supported the Iraqi Security Forces and local Anbar government during the end of Operation Iraqi Freedom and into New Dawn.
- Iraq should keep regulating private military and security firms, say UN experts UN News Centre 16 Jun 2011 -- While the number of incidents involving private military and security companies in Iraq has decreased in recent years, the Government should continue to regulate and monitor their activities, a group of independent United Nations human rights experts said today.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 16 Jun 2011 [PDF]
- Letter from the President on the War Powers Resolution The White House 15 Jun 2011 -- "I am providing this supplemental consolidated report, prepared by my Administration and consistent with the War Powers Resolution (Public Law 93 148), as part of my efforts to keep the Congress informed about deployments of U.S. Armed Forces equipped for combat."
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 15 Jun 2011 [PDF]
- Last but not least: Ironhorse cases colors, joins 1st Cavalry Division on the other side Army News 14 Jun 2011 -- 1st Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division cased its colors during a ceremony on Cooper Field once again to mark the Brigade's fourth deployment to Iraq.
- Sherpa serves as agile cargo transport over Iraq Army News 14 Jun 2011 -- Since October 2010, aviators with the Oregon Army National Guard have logged more than 5,000 hours of flight time on their fleet of Sherpa aircraft and have moved more than 2.2 million pounds of equipment and cargo, and transported 10,000 passengers.
- UN political affairs chief meets top officials in Iraq UN News Centre 14 Jun 2011 -- The top United Nations political affairs official has concluded a three-day visit to Iraq during which he held discussions with senior Iraqi leaders in the capital Baghdad and the cities of Kirkuk and Erbil, as well as with officials from the UN political mission in the country.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 14 Jun 2011 [PDF]
- Iraqi airmen learn to protect leaders AFNS 13 Jun 2011 -- Prompted by assassinations of Iraqi military leaders, Iraqi airmen are receiving personal security operations training from members of the Air Force Office of Special Investigations here.
- Iraqi air force leaders attend conference at Balad Army News 13 Jun 2011 -- Three Iraqi air force air staff generals and five representatives from different bases visited June 8 and 9 here to experience a U.S. Air Force base.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 13 Jun 2011 [PDF]
- Iraqi corrections officers train on maximum security policies, procedures Army News 11 Jun 2011 -- For the past several months Iraqi corrections officers have been working hand-in-hand with U.S. correctional specialists in order to learn the policies and procedures of the Cropper Theater Internment Facility, which houses detainees who are linked to terrorism and could potentially harm security forces.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 10 Jun 2011 [PDF]
- STT Enforcer applies line of effort concept to police planning Army News 10 Jun 2011 -- The goal of stability operations is to strengthen Iraqi Security Forces and posture them as the premier force in Iraq. Successful application of the four lines of effort (LOEs) can quickly realize this critical goal.
- 'Saber' Squadron assumes authority in Wasit Province Army News 10 Jun 2011 -- On June 15, 2nd 'Sabre' Squadron, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, United States Division - South transferred authority of their operating environment in Wasit Province, Iraq to 6th 'Saber' Squadron, 9th Cavalry Regiment, 3rd Advise and Assist Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division, United States Division - South in a ceremony at Contingency Operating Base Delta.
- U.S. Troops Look Set To Stay In Iraq Beyond 2011 RFE/RL 10 Jun 2011 -- Signs are mounting that some U.S. forces could remain in Iraq after President Barack Obama's declared December 31 full withdrawal date.
- Iraq Clashes Reported Over Government Reform Plans VOA 10 Jun 2011 -- Witnesses say supporters and opponents of Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's reform actions clashed in Baghdad.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 09 Jun 2011 [PDF]
- U.S., Iraqi pilots conduct joint training Army News 09 Jun 2011 -- Two U.S. Army UH-60 Black Hawk utility helicopters flew in formation with two Iraqi Air Force helicopters May 18, 2011, during a joint medical evacuation training mission.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 08 Jun 2011 [PDF]
- Al-Qaida Claims Responsibility for Deadly Iraq Attacks VOA 08 Jun 2011 -- An al-Qaida group has claimed responsibility for recent bombings in the Iraqi city of Tikrit that left at least 34 people dead.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 07 Jun 2011 [PDF]
- Comanche Troop deploys to JSS Shield in anticipation of Baghdad demonstrations Army News 07 Jun 2011 -- Soldiers from Comanche Troop, 6-9th Cavalry deployed to Joint Security Station Shield, in eastern Baghdad.
- GREYWOLF, Ugandans side-by-side in U.S. base security Army News 07 Jun 2011 -- Soldiers with 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division work side-by-side with the Iraqi Army, Iraqi Police and the Department of Border Enforcement.
- Cycle at Al Tadreeb al Shamil closes Army News 07 Jun 2011 -- The U.S. mission in Iraq is to train Iraqi Security Forces in preparation for the upcoming U.S. departure.
- Savannah engineer team deploys to Iraq for construction support Army News 07 Jun 2011 -- A team of eight local professionals with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Savannah District deployed to Iraq June 4.
- Iraq: UN human rights official urges stronger action to protect civilians UN News Centre 07 Jun 2011 -- A senior UN official has called on the Iraqi Government to do more to protect civilians from violence.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 06 Jun 2011 [PDF]
- 5 US Soldiers, At Least 13 Iraqis Killed in Separate Attacks VOA 06 Jun 2011 -- Five U.S. soldiers and and at least 13 Iraqis were killed on Monday in separate attacks in Iraq.
- Five U.S. Soldiers Killed In Central Iraq RFE/RL 06 Jun 2011 -- The U.S. military says five U.S. soldiers were killed in central Iraq today.
- U.S. transfers airspace to Iraq AFNS 06 Jun 2011 -- Officials at the Airspace Control Authority transferred airspace to Iraq Civil Aviation Authority officials June 1 in what is being called a milestone in Operation New Dawn.
- New Iraqi air force curriculum to combine air traffic control, airfield management AFNS 06 Jun 2011 -- U.S. advisers in Iraq are focusing their efforts on ensuring their Iraqi counterparts have the knowledge and skills necessary.
- Combat engineers teach Iraqi Army proper route clearance techniques Army News 06 Jun 2011 -- Soldiers of A/BSTB/4th Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division are helping their Iraqi Army counterparts learn how to defeat IED threat.
- Iraq: UN envoy welcomes national human rights conference UN News Centre 05 Jun 2011 -- A major conference tasked with drafting a national action plan to improve human rights in Iraq offers a critical chance for the country's citizens to ensure that their voices are heard, a senior United Nations official said today.
- Combat engineers promote IA Soldiers' route clearance abilities Army News 03 Jun 2011 -- 'Although violence in Iraq has decreased, the threat of improvised explosive devices still exist. Soldiers of A Company, Brigade Special Troops Battalion, 4th Advise and Assist Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division, are helping their Iraqi Army counterparts learn how to defeat this threat in an effort to make the streets of Anbar safer.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 03 Jun 2011 [PDF]
- 'Long Knife' Soldiers sharpen skills at Destiny Range Army News 02 Jun 2011 -- Soldiers assigned to Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 2nd Battalion, 7th Cavalry Regiment 4th Advise and Assist Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division, sharpened their skills during a combined arms life fire exercise at Destiny Range, May 28, 2011.
- DOD Works Toward Successful Transition in Iraq AFPS 02 Jun 2011 -- The recent Middle East turmoil underscores the importance of an active U.S. engagement in Iraq and a 'shoring up' of relations with key regional partners, the deputy assistant secretary of defense for the Middle East said yesterday.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 02 Jun 2011 [PDF]
- 'Saber' Squadron and Iraqi Partners Provide Water Pumps to Local Farmers Army News 01 Jun 2011 -- Radwaniyah, Iraq is much different from its close neighbor, the bustling city of Baghdad. Unlike the urban landscape that dominates Baghdad, Radwaniyah is covered with farm land.
- Combined Security Forces conduct medevac training Army News 01 Jun 2011 -- In an effort to continue building on medical knowledge, the Kirkuk Combined Security Forces conducted an air medevac exercise at the Kirkuk Training Center, May 25.
- Iraqi Army soldiers successfully complete combat training rotation at GWTC Army News 01 Jun 2011 -- With mortar rounds flying overhead and artillery rounds exploding near the front lines, Iraqi Army soldiers maneuvered toward their objective during a battalion-level live fire exercise at Ghuzlani Warrior Training Center, May 26.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 01 Jun 2011 [PDF]
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list