21 June 2011 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 21 Jun 2011 [PDF]
- NATO and Libya - Operational Media Update: 20 Jun 2011
- Press briefing on Libya by NATO Spokesperson Oana Lungescu and Mike Bracken, Spokesperson for the Operation Unified Protector NATO 21 Jun 2011
- Senate Resolution Authorizing US Libya Mission Introduced VOA 21 Jun 2011 -- A resolution authorizing limited U.S. military engagement in Libya has been introduced in the Senate.
- Military Chiefs meet in London to discuss Libya UK MOD 21 Jun 2011 -- Military chiefs from the 15 countries contributing to Operation Unified Protector met in London to discuss the future of the campaign and its progress to date.
- NATO Says Compound Attack in Libya Was 'Legitimate Target' VOA 21 Jun 2011 -- NATO offered surveillance evidence to show it carried out an airstrike on a "high-level" command center in Libya, despite Libyan government claims it was a civilian target.
- Pressure Mounts on NATO as Drone Helicopter Goes Missing in Libya VOA 21 Jun 2011 -- NATO confirms that an unmanned helicopter drone was lost during a mission over Libya.
- NATO Loses Unmanned Helicopter Over Libya RFE/RL 21 Jun 2011 -- NATO has said it lost contact with one of its unmanned helicopters over but denied a Libyan report that one of its attack helicopters had gone down.
- Cameron again defends sustainability of UK intervention in Libya IRNA 21 Jun 2011 -- PM Cameron rebuked military chiefs for the second time in a week for raising concern about the sustainability of Britain's military intervention in Libya.
- 'Tent City' Goes Up at NAS Sigonella NNS 21 Jun 2011 -- Operation Unified Protector brought an increase in personnel at Naval Air Station (NAS) Sigonella, requiring the base to erect a tent city for coalition forces, June 20.
- Car Bombs Kill 25 Outside Iraqi Governor's House VOA 21 Jun 2011 -- Iraqi officials say two car bomb blasts in the city of Diwaniyah have killed at least 25 people and wounded 30 others.
- Car Bombs Kill More Than 20 In Central Iraq RFE/RL 21 Jun 2011 -- Local Iraqi officials say two car bombs near the home of the provincial governor have killed more than 20 and wounded more than 30 in Diwaniya.
- Iraqi committee to specify ways for MKO exit ISNA 21 Jun 2011 -- An Iraqi committee is to specify ways for terrorist MKO exit, said Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zabari.
- U.S. advisers help Iraqis kick off weather forecaster program AFNS 21 Jun 2011 -- Throughout the history of warfare, weather has played a crucial role in determining the outcome of major battles and, in some cases, entire military campaigns.
- Obama to Announce Decision on Afghanistan Troop Drawdown VOA 21 Jun 2011 -- President Barack Obama will announce his plan for implementing the beginning of a U.S. troop withdrawal from Afghanistan in a speech scheduled to begin at 00:00 UTC Thursday.
- London Closely Watching Obama's Afghanistan Moves VOA 21 Jun 2011 -- President Obama is expected to outline his plans for beginning the withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan on Wednesday.
- Debate Continues Over Proper Conditions for US Drawdown in Afghanistan VOA 21 Jun 2011 -- President Obama is expected to announce Wednesday the scaling back of U.S. troop presence in Afghanistan.
- Obama To Announce Plans On Troop Withdrawal From Afghanistan RFE/RL 21 Jun 2011 -- U.S. President Barack Obama is expected to move the country a step closer to ending its military involvement in the Afghanistan war on June 22.
- In Afghanistan, Bickering Hints At Deepening Rift RFE/RL 21 Jun 2011 -- Bickering among American and Afghan officials threatens to overshadow his big announcement.
- Afghan, Coalition Force Kills Terrorists AFPS 21 Jun 2011 -- A combined Afghan and coalition security force killed several insurgents, including a senior Haqqani leader, during a nighttime security operation in the Zurmat district of Paktiya province.
- Suicide Attack Targeting Afghan Governor Kills Female Student RFE/RL 21 Jun 2011 -- Afghan officials say a suicide bomb attack targeting a governor's vehicle in northern Afghanistan has killed a bystander and injured a bodyguard.
- Chief Roy visits 438th AEW Airmen AFNS 21 Jun 2011 -- The chief master sergeant of the Air Force, on a tour throughout the area of responsibility, visited and spoke with members of the 438th Air Expeditionary Wing here recently.
- Georgian opposition party blasts Saakashvili for sending troops to Afghanistan RIA Novosti 21 Jun 2011 -- The Georgian opposition Labor Party has strongly criticized the country's president, Mikheil Saakashvili, for sending soldiers to Afghanistan.
- Pakistani Army Officer Detained for Links to Banned Group VOA 21 Jun 2011 -- Pakistan's military says an army officer has been detained for links to a banned Islamic extremist group.
- Pakistani Army Officer Detained For Militant Links RFE/RL 21 Jun 2011 -- Authorities have detained a senior officer serving at Pakistani Army headquarters for suspected links with the banned militant group Hizb ut-Tahrir.
- Pakistan army officer arrested over militants' links IRNA 21 Jun 2011 -- A senior Pakistan’s army officer has been taken into custody for his alleged connections with a banned group.
- Pakistani scholars declare suicide attacks anti-Islam IRNA 21 Jun 2011 -- Hundreds of religious scholars in Pakistan’s North Waziristan tribal region have declared suicide attacks against Islam.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Senate Confirms Panetta as US Defense Secretary VOA 21 Jun 2011 -- The U.S. Senate has confirmed Leon Panetta as defense secretary by a unanimous vote of 100 to nothing.
- Senate Confirms Panetta as Defense Secretary AFPS 21 Jun 2011 -- The U.S. Senate voted unanimously this evening to confirm Leon E. Panetta as the next secretary of defense.
- Secretary Clinton Remarks With Secretary of Defense Robert Gates; Japanese Foreign Minister Takeaki Matsumoto; and Japanese Defense Minister Toshimi Kitazawa After Their Meeting US Dept. of State 21 Jun 2011
- Gates: U.S. Committed to Robust Presence in East Asia AFPS 21 Jun 2011 -- The United States remains committed to maintaining a robust forward presence in the East Asian region, Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said.
- US, Japan Agree to Drop Base Relocation Deadline VOA 21 Jun 2011 -- The United States and Japan have agreed to drop a 2014 deadline for completing the relocation of a critical U.S. Marine base on the southern Japanese island of Okinawa.
- US-Japan Basing Plan in Doubt Amid High-Level Talks VOA 21 Jun 2011 -- A hard-won agreement to move thousands of U.S. Marines to a new base in Okinawa is once again in doubt as top U.S. and Japanese officials sit down for talks.
- U.S. Expert Says Robots Are Changing The Face Of War RFE/RL 21 Jun 2011 -- News headlines these days are filled with stories about unmanned aerial vehicles and their role in America’s "war on terror."
- Ammunition Operations makes 2 million grenades without a failure Army News 21 Jun 2011 -- Pine Bluff Arsenal’s Directorate of Ammunition Operations achieved the two million mark in their M18 colored smoke grenade production May 9, 2011.
- Crane Army Countermeasures Division Scores Laser Etcher Machine Army News 21 Jun 2011 -- Crane Army Ammunition Activity has “etched” out a new product that will help save the activity thousands of dollars annually.
- Army builds, tests future network during NIE exercise Army News 21 Jun 2011 -- The future of the Army's tactical network is taking shape this month as Soldiers from the 2/1st Armored Division evaluate key technologies that connect units to one another and higher headquarters.
- Shipment of tanks arrives at Fort Benning Army News 21 Jun 2011 -- More than 70 armored vehicles were offloaded at the Ochille Railhead at Harmony Church, on Fort Benning marking yet another milestone as the Armor School completes its move from Fort Knox.
- USS Reuben James (FFG 57) Returns from Pacific Deployment NNS 21 Jun 2011 -- Families and friends greeted USS Reuben Jameswith as the ship returned to Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii, after an independent deployment to the western Pacific, June 20.
- Frank Cable Helps Cleveland Maintain Mission Readiness NNS 21 Jun 2011 -- Five Sailors from USS Frank Cable were dispatched over the weekend to make repairs to USS Cleveland, June 17.
- Marines keep an eye on the sky in Alaska AFNS 21 Jun 2011 -- Marine Air Control Squadron One, from Marine Corps Air Station Yuma, Ariz., recently ventured to Alaska for the first time to participate in the U.S. Pacific Command exercise Northern Edge 11.
- Operation Golden Cargo gets underway Army News 21 Jun 2011 -- Soldiers of the Army Reserve and National Guard kicked off Operation Golden Cargo at Blue Grass Army Depot.
- Trans Battalion Receives Golden Training Army News 21 Jun 2011 -- Real world missions empowering real Army Reserve Soldiers before they deploy Down Range is the beauty of Operation Golden Cargo for the 821st Transportation Battalion (Motor Transport) out of Topeka, Kansas.
- Big brother helps track cargo Army News 21 Jun 2011 -- Operation Golden Cargo is a large-scale, national exercise that allows Soldiers in the Army National Guard, Reserve and Active component to get realistic training.
- Russia blasts U.S. Navy maneuvers near Georgia RIA Novosti 21 Jun 2011 -- Russia is outraged at the maneuvers of American USS Monterey cruiser carrying the AEGIS air defense system near the Georgian coast on the Black Sea.
- Fuerzas Comando Promotes Special Ops Skills AFPS 21 Jun 2011 -- Elite commandos from 19 countries are participating this week in Fuerzas Comando 2011, a demanding counterterrorism and special operations skills competition.
- U.S., Indonesian airmen begin Cope West 11 AFNS 21 Jun 2011 -- Airmen and their Indonesian air force counterparts gathered at a ceremony to officially mark the beginning of the U.S. and Indonesian tactical airlift exercise called Cope West 11 June 20.
- Task Force 'Good Neighbor' Leaves Haiti a Better Place AFPS 21 Jun 2011 -- Army Col. Kenneth Donnelly said he will leave Haiti this week a better man. But not before leaving Haiti a better place.
- Task Force Bon Voizen - New Horizons Haiti 2011 builds capacity Army News 21 Jun 2011 -- The last Task Force Bon Voizen - New Horizons Haiti 2011 medical readiness training exercise in Desdunes, Haiti, illustrates the critical importance of tapping into the resources, structures and expertise already present in Haiti.
- USAG-HI to host realistic ATEX scenarios Army News 21 Jun 2011 -- U.S. Army Garrison-Hawaii will conduct its annual antiterrorism exercise, or ATEX, “Rapid Response 2011,” on Sills Field, June 23-24.
- Guard Continues Midwest Flood Relief Efforts AFPS 21 Jun 2011 -- About 2,000 National Guard members from nine states are continuing relief operations in the wake of the 2011 Midwest floods.
- U.S. military, aircraft highlighted at international air show AFNS 21 Jun 2011 -- U.S. military pride, strength and technology are on display at the 49th International Paris Air Show at the Le Bourget Airport here June 20 through 26.
- China will make efforts to enhance military ties with India IRNA 21 Jun 2011 -- With an Indian army delegation visiting China after a year-long hiatus, Beijing said it would make 'considerable' efforts to enhance exchanges and cooperation between the two militaries.
- India to get Nerpa Akula-II N-submarine this year IRNA 21 Jun 2011 -- India would receive its first new generation Nerpa Akula-II class nuclear attack submarine, which is undergoing sea trials in Russia, by the end of this year.
- India Puts Security, Trade With Burma Ahead of Democracy VOA 21 Jun 2011 -- India's foreign minister is in Burma for meetings with top leaders that are expected to focus on security and trade.
- Kiev-NATO ties should not surprise Moscow - Ukrainian diplomat RIA Novosti 21 Jun 2011 -- The continuing close cooperation between Ukraine and NATO should have been expected by Russia.
- Armenia Claims Its Military Produces Drones RFE/RL 21 Jun 2011 -- Armenian officials say they are manufacturing and supplying the country's military with unmanned aircraft, or drones.
- Military rations contaminated with plasticizers CNA 21 Jun 2011 -- More than 700,000 packs of military rations likely contain plasticizers, Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense confirmed.
- Top UN legal official outlines judicial options to fight piracy off Somalia UN News Centre 21 Jun 2011 -- Helping the courts in Somalia attain international standards to handle trials of suspects arrested for engaging in maritime piracy off the East African coast can be an important step in combating the scourge in the Indian Ocean.
- Somalia Wants Piracy Courts on its Territory VOA 21 Jun 2011 -- The United Nation’s top legal advisor says the Somali Transitional Federal Government is not in favor of having specialized courts in other countries try Somali piracy suspects.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney, Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius, and FDA Commissioner Margaret The White House 21 Jun 2011
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, June 21, 2011 US Dept. of State 21 Jun 2011
- DoD News: Contracts for June 21, 2011
- Raytheon Awarded $24.7 Million Global Hawk Ground Station Sustainment Contract Raytheon 21 Jun 2011 -- Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) has been awarded a one-year subcontract worth $24.7 million for support services of the ground station elements of the RQ-4 Global Hawk high-altitude, long-endurance unmanned aircraft system.
- Boeing C-130 AMP Prepares for US Air Force Test & Evaluation Boeing 21 Jun 2011 -- The Boeing [NYSE: BA] C-130 Avionics Modernization Program (AMP) is making final preparations for five aircraft to enter the U.S. Air Force Initial Operational Test and Evaluation (IOT&E) program in early 2012.
- Boeing Begins Final Assembly of India's 1st P-8I Aircraft Boeing 21 Jun 2011 -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] began final assembly of the Indian navy's first P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft this month at the company's Renton factory.
- Airbus Military and Israel Aerospace Industries join forces on C295 AEW&C Programme EADS 21 Jun 2011 -- Airbus Military and Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) are combining forces to jointly develop and market a new version of the Airbus Military C295 platform fitted with an Airborne Early Warning and Control (AEW&C) system produced by ELTA Systems, a wholly owned IAI subsidiary. The primary sensor of the AEW&C will be the IAI/ELTA 4th Generation Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) Radar with integrated IFF.
- Eurocopter signs contract to equip German military NH90 TTH helicopters for forward intensive-care air medical evacuation missions EADS 21 Jun 2011 -- Eurocopter and the German Federal Ministry of Defence today signed a contract to upgrade 12 German Armed Forces NH90 tactical transport helicopters (TTH) for quick-change, intensive-care medical transport in forward air evacuation operations.
- Finnish NH90 helicopters demonstrate their operational capabilities: More than 150 soldiers are airlifted over a 320 km. distance in five hours EADS 21 Jun 2011 -- The multi-role NH90 helicopter's ability to support large troop movements over long distances were demonstrated during the Finnish Defense Forces' main field exercise this month, in which 157 soldiers were transported 320 kilometers during two operational rotations.
- MBDA Unveils Perseus, The Multirole Land And Naval Strike Concept Missile System EADS 21 Jun 2011 -- MBDA today unveils the output of the Concept Visions process for 2011; CVS 401 Perseus concept missile system, which represents the group's vision of a multi-role strike weapon system for 2030 and beyond.
- T700 Engines to Power Australia's New MH-60R Multi-Role Helicopters GE Aviation 21 Jun 2011 -- The Commonwealth of Australia has selected the U.S. Navy's MH-60R Seahawk helicopter powered by T700-401C engines (1,800 shaft-horsepower class) to fulfill the Australian Defense Force's requirement for 24 new generation multi-role naval aircraft.
- AxleTech International to Provide Axle Systems for Armored Security Vehicles General Dynamics 21 Jun 2011 -- AxleTech International, a General Dynamics (NYSE: GD) company, was recently awarded a contract from Textron Marine & Land Systems to produce independent suspension axle systems for the Medium Armored Security Vehicle (MASV) program. The award is for 240 vehicle sets of axles. The system is a customized variant of AxleTech's 4000 and 5000 Series planetary independent suspension axle systems.
- Hamilton Sundstrand's propeller modernization program makes strides, offers operation and support benefits to C-130 users Hamilton Sundstrand 21 Jun 2011 -- Hamilton Sundstrand Corporation's NP2000 propeller successfully completed performance testing with the U.S. Air Force on C-130H aircraft, and is nearing completion of operational evaluation by the New York Air National Guard on LC-130 aircraft, marking two more milestones in Hamilton Sundstrand's propeller modernization program.
- Airbus Military and Israel Aerospace Industries join forces on C295 AEW&C Programme Israel Aerospace Industries 21 Jun 2011 -- Airbus Military and Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) are combining forces to jointly develop and market a new version of the Airbus Military C295 platform fitted with an Airborne Early Warning and Control (AEW&C) system produced by ELTA Systems, a wholly owned IAI subsidiary. The primary sensor of the AEW&C will be the IAI/ELTA 4th Generation Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) Radar with integrated IFF.
- Norway Approves Funding Of Lockheed Martin F-35 Training Jets Lockheed Martin 21 Jun 2011 -- The Norwegian parliament unanimously approved the funding of four Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] F-35 Lightning II training jets to begin fulfilling Norway's future air-combat capability requirements.
- U.S. Navy Selects Lockheed Martin to Provide Submarine Technology Upgrade Lockheed Martin 21 Jun 2011 -- Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] received a U.S. Navy contract to provide submarine combat and sonar systems designed around commercially available hardware and software.
- Northrop Grumman Completes Successful Joint Strike Fighter Sensor Testing at Northern Edge 2011 Joint Exercise Northrop Grumman 21 Jun 2011 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) has successfully participated in the 2011 Northern Edge joint military exercise by demonstrating key F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) sensor capabilities in a demanding operational environment.
- Oshkosh Defense to Supply M-ATV Protection Kits and Installation Support to U.S. Military Oshkosh 21 Jun 2011 -- Oshkosh Defense, a division of Oshkosh Corporation (NYSE:OSK), will supply more than 5,100 MRAP All-Terrain Vehicle (M-ATV) protection kits to the U.S. military following an order from the U.S. Army TACOM Life Cycle Management Command (LCMC).
- Pratt & Whitney and U.S. Air Force Initiate First F119 Engine Overhaul Pratt & Whitney 21 Jun 2011 -- Pratt & Whitney and the U.S. Air Force have begun to overhaul the first F119 engine to reach its mid-life inspection at the F119 Heavy Maintenance Center (HMC) located at Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma City, Okla. Two Pratt & Whitney F119 engines provide exclusive power for the U.S. Air Force's F-22 Raptor. Pratt & Whitney is a United Technologies Corp. (NYSE: UTX) company.
- U.S. Joint Forces Command Deploys Raytheon's CENTAUR System at Empire Challenge Raytheon 21 Jun 2011 -- U.S. Joint Forces Command sponsored the use of a Raytheon (NYSE: RTN) cross-domain and multi-national data sharing capability at this year's Empire Challenge exercise, May 23 to June 3, at Fort Huachuca, Ariz.
- Raytheon Completes Perfect QELTA Tests for U.S. Air Force Raytheon 21 Jun 2011 -- Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) tested its Quiet Eyes Laser Turret Assembly for the U.S. Air Force at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. During hundreds of test runs, QELTA consistently detected and defeated all threats.
- Thales unveils industry-first augmented reality on TopOwl Thales 21 Jun 2011 -- Thales is presenting for the first time at this event – stand ST-N84 – its high-performance TopOwl Helmet Mounted Sight Display (HMSD) featuring augmented reality, a new capability further enhancing helicopter pilots situational awareness in difficult visibility conditions.
- Raytheon Delivers First Production SeaVue XMC Radar Raytheon 21 Jun 2011 -- Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) has delivered the first of three SeaVue expanded mission capability radars to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
- MEADS Partner Nations Approve Flight Test Demonstrations of Advanced System Capability Lockheed Martin 21 Jun 2011 -- The National Armaments Directors of Germany, Italy and the United States have approved a revised set of development objectives for the Medium Extended Air Defense System (MEADS) program, including two intercept flight tests by 2014.
- Raytheon Receives $1.7 Billion to Upgrade Patriot for Saudi Arabia Raytheon 21 Jun 2011 -- Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) has received a $1.7 billion Direct Commercial Sales contract to upgrade Saudi Arabia's Patriot Air and Missile Defense System to the latest Configuration-3. The award includes ground-system hardware, a full training package and support equipment upgrades.
- Thales Alenia Space announces that Express AM8, AT1 and AT2 programmes are now in full effect Thales 21 Jun 2011 -- Thales Alenia Space announces today the official start of the Express AM8, AT1 and AT2 programs. The tri-partite contract was signed in September 2010 with RSCC (Russian Space Operator) and JSC 'ISS – Reshetnev Company and the global financing is now completed.
- Thales Alenia Space wins contract to built payload for Kazakhstan's KazSat3 satellite Thales 21 Jun 2011 -- Thales Alenia Space announces contract with JSC 'ISS – Reshetnev Company' to supply the KazSat3 communications satellite payload.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 21 June 2011 United Nations 21 Jun 2011
- China, Libyan Rebels Hold More Talks VOA 21 Jun 2011 -- Libya National Transitional Council Chairman Mahmud Jibril arrived in Beijing at noon Tuesday for two days of talks with Chinese leaders.
- Top German prosecutor launches probe of Qadhafi IRNA 21 Jun 2011 -- The German federal prosecutor's office has launched an investigation against Libyan dictator Moammar Qadhafi.
- Yemeni president in good health, receives visitors - Saudi portal RIA Novosti 21 Jun 2011 -- Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh is in good health and has started receiving visitors.
- UN scaling up assistance to aid displaced persons in Yemen UN News Centre 21 Jun 2011 -- Continuing conflict in southern Yemen is forcing increasing numbers of people from their homes.
- U.S. Urges Negotiation in South China Sea Disputes AFPS 21 Jun 2011 -- The United States, like the rest of the world, has a deep interest in ensuring freedom of navigation in the South China Sea.
- China Warns Vietnam of Possible Military Response in South China Sea VOA 21 Jun 2011 -- China's state-controlled media are warning Vietnam that Beijing will "take whatever measures necessary," including military action, to protect its interests in the South China Sea.
- KCNA on S. Korea's Anti-DPRK Act KCNA 21 Jun 2011 -- The south Korean authorities are seriously trying to ram "north Korean human rights act" through "National Assembly".
- Minju Joson on U-Turn to N-S Joint Declaration KCNA 21 Jun 2011 -- Lee Myung Bak now says it respects the June 15 joint declaration, a U-turn from its past attitude.
- Rodong Sinmun Calls for Implementation of Inter-Korean Declarations KCNA 21 Jun 2011 -- To defend and implement the June 15 joint declaration and the October 4 declaration, its action program, is a patriotic work.
- UN agency for Palestinian refugees requests more donations to bridge huge deficit UN News Centre 21 Jun 2011 -- The head of the UN entity tasked with assisting millions of Palestinian refugees said that the agency faced a projected deficit of $63 million this year.
- Israel Authorizes New Palestinian Housing Project in Gaza VOA 21 Jun 2011 -- Israel has approved one of the largest housing projects the Gaza Strip has seen in years, authorizing the construction of 1,200 new homes and 18 schools in the impoverished Palestinian territory.
- Rights Group Criticizes China Invitation to Sudanese Leader VOA 21 Jun 2011 -- The Chinese government is being called on to rescind its invitation to Sudanese President al-Bashir.
- Syrian town 'almost deserted' after recent fighting UN News Centre 21 Jun 2011 -- The United Nations refugee agency has found north-western Syrian town of Jisr al-Shugour and surrounding villages to be virtually empty.
- Thousands Rally in Support of Syrian President VOA 21 Jun 2011 -- Tens of thousands of Syrians have gathered for rallies backing President Bashar al-Assad.
- Assad Orders New Amnesty Amid Pro-Government Rallies In Syria RFE/RL 21 Jun 2011 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has issued a new presidential pardon for prisoners.
- Moscow calls for political pressure on Syria to end violence RIA Novosti 21 Jun 2011 -- International political pressure needs to be put on Syrian authorities, Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said.
- Russian Foreign Ministry says Assad's reform speech 'constructive' RIA Novosti 21 Jun 2011 -- Cooperation between the Syrian people and authorities would help overcome the crisis in the country.
- Scholars Ponder Question: Why Not an Iran Spring? VOA 21 Jun 2011 -- Since the beginning of this year, a number of Arab states have experienced protests and calls for significant reforms.
- Jordan's Information Minister Quits in Media Freedom Dispute VOA 21 Jun 2011 -- Jordan's information minister said he has resigned from his post because of proposed laws that restrict media freedoms in the country.
- Iran Nuclear Chief and IAEA Head Hold Talks VOA 21 Jun 2011 -- Iran's nuclear energy chief and the head of the United Nations' nuclear watchdog have held talks on Iran's controversial nuclear program.
- Abbasi confers with Amano IRNA 21 Jun 2011 -- Head of Iran’s Atomic Energy Organization Abbasi conferred with the Director-General of the International Atomic Energy Agency Yukiya Amano.
- Iran Atom Chief meeting with Amano useful: Soltanieh ISNA 21 Jun 2011 -- Iranian representative to the IAEA Soltanieh called meeting between the agency Chief Yukiya Amano and Iran's Atom chief Abbasi "positive."
- Iran to launch new satellites into space ISNA 21 Jun 2011 -- Iran said on Tuesday that it intends to send "Navid" and "Fajr" satellites into space by March 2012 and build "Rasad 2" satellite.
- Ukraine needs additional $215mln to build new sarcophagus in Chernobyl RIA Novosti 21 Jun 2011 -- Ukraine needs an additional 150 million euros ($215 million) to complete nuclear safety work at Chernobyl.
- Citing precarious conditions, UN urges governments not to return Haitians UN News Centre 21 Jun 2011 -- The United Nations is appealing to governments to suspend all involuntary returns to Haiti.
- General Assembly appoints Ban Ki-moon to second term as UN Secretary-General UN News Centre 21 Jun 2011 -- The United Nations General Assembly agreed to appoint Ban Ki-moon to a second consecutive term as the Secretary-General of the 192-member Organization.
- UN confirms Ban Ki-moon for second five-year term RIA Novosti 21 Jun 2011 -- The UN General Assembly on Tuesday confirmed Ban Ki-moon for a second five-year term as Secretary General.
- UN Secretary-General Expected to Win 2nd Term VOA 21 Jun 2011 -- The United Nations General Assembly is expected to reconfirm Ban Ki-moon for a second five-year term as the world's top diplomat.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|