19 June 2011 Military News
- NATO and Libya - Operational Media Update: 18 Jun 2011
- NATO acknowledges civilian casualties in Tripoli strike NATO 19 Jun 2011 -- NATO says that a military missile site was the intended target of air strikes in Tripoli last night. However, it appears that one weapon did not strike the intended target and that there may have been a weapons system failure which may have caused a number of civilian casualties.
- Allegations of civilian casualties in Tripoli on 19 June 2011 NATO 19 Jun 2011 -- NATO is looking into reports of civilian casualties following NATO air strikes in the early hours of June 19th.
- Libya Says NATO Air Strike Hits Residential Area RFE/RL 19 Jun 2011 -- Government officials in Tripoli have taken journalists to a site in the Libyan capital allegedly bombed by NATO warplanes.
- NATO to Investigate Libyan Claims of Civilian Deaths in Tripoli Air Strike VOA 19 Jun 2011 -- NATO officials say they will investigate Libyan government claims that seven civilians were killed by an alliance strike in Tripoli.
- US Legal Deadline for Libya Expires VOA 19 Jun 2011 -- The Obama administration continues to defend the legality of U.S. military engagement in Libya, as a 90-day window for securing congressional approval of the operation expires.
- Gates Says Libya Strategy 'Absolutely Right' AFPS 19 Jun 2011 -- The U.S. strategy toward Libya is 'absolutely right,' Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said on Fox News Sunday this morning.
- Bataan Engineers Perform Critical Repairs NNS 19 Jun 2011 -- Sailors aboard USS Bataan completed repairs keeping the ship on station in the Mediterranean Sea conducting maritime security operations and theater security cooperation efforts.
- Mobile Parts Hospital fabricates crucial MRAP door pins Army News 19 Jun 2011 -- Maxx Pro MRAP vehicles began rolling onto to Joint Base Balad last month with bent or missing emergency quick release pins for their rear doors.
- Gates Discusses Way Forward in Afghanistan AFPS 19 Jun 2011 -- The Taliban must know they are beaten before they reconcile in any meaningful way, Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said on CNN's State of the Union program today.
- Iran, Afghan defense ministers issue joint statement IRNA 19 Jun 2011 -- Defense Minister Brigadier-General Ahmad Vahidi and his Afghan counterpart General Abdul Rahim Wardak released a joint defense statement at the end of their second round of talks in Kabul.
- Pakistani forces kill 25 militants IRNA 19 Jun 2011 -- Pakistan army said on Sunday that security forces, backed by air power, have killed 25 militants in a tribal region near the Afghan border.
- Pakistan Ambassador Defends Questioning of Informants VOA 19 Jun 2011 -- Pakistan Ambassador to the United States Husain Haqqani is defending his country's decision to round up more than 30 people as part of an investigation into the Osama bin Laden compound.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Fiscal Crisis Requires Responsible Approach, Lynn Says AFPS 19 Jun 2011 -- A fiscal crisis that's putting the squeeze on defense budgets and related industries requires difficult choices for leaders and a responsible approach that manages the spending slowdown while retaining military effectiveness, Deputy Defense Secretary William J. Lynn III said here today.
- Lynn: Spending Slowdown Must Preserve Industrial Base AFPS 19 Jun 2011 -- As defense spending slows in the face of a financial crisis, preserving the industrial base that produces military capabilities is critical, Deputy Defense Secretary William J. Lynn III said here today.
- GW, Carrier Air Wing 5 Squadron Complete Super Hornet Fighting Force NNS 19 Jun 2011 -- Strike Fighter Squadron 195 returned to the USS George Washington after completing the transition to the F/A-18E Super Hornet.
- 1/401 AFSB receives M142 HIMARS launchers Army News 19 Jun 2011 -- The 1st Battalion, 401st Army Field Support Brigade, has received the M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System to add to the Army Prepositioned Stock - 5 Fires Brigade in Qatar.
- Barry Concludes Gaeta, Italy Port Visit NNS 19 Jun 2011 -- Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Barry (DDG 52) concluded its stay in Gaeta, Italy, June 17, after a five-day port visit to the city.
- 'Cement Sentinels' stand silent guard Army News 19 Jun 2011 -- For the past several years, security barriers have been used as protection for U.S. troops and civilians in Afghanistan and Iraq.
- British observers to conduct Open Skies Treaty flights over Russia RIA Novosti 19 Jun 2011 -- A group of British observers on board of a Swedish SAAB-340 aircraft will make a series of inspection flights over the Russian territories under the Open Skies Treaty on June 20-24, a spokesman for the Russian Defense Ministry said.
- IAI Delivered an Additional Compact ISR Aircraft to a Latin-American customer Israel Aerospace Industries 19 Jun 2011 -- ELTA Systems Ltd., Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI)' group and subsidiary recently delivered an additional compact Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) aircraft to a Latin-American customer. Several ISR aircraft, designated ELI-3120, are in service with worldwide customers. Those contracts amount to approximately $100 million USD.
- Raytheon Begins Production of Airborne Hyperspectral Sensor for U.S. Air Force Raytheon 19 Jun 2011 -- Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) has received a contract from the U.S. Air Force to produce the first airborne tactical hyperspectral sensor system.
- IAI Successfully Demonstrated Its Port-Guard System Israel Aerospace Industries 19 Jun 2011 -- ELTA Systems Ltd., an Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI)' group and subsidiary, successfully demonstrated its Port-Guard System operation.
- IAI introduces advanced versions of its MOSP and MiniPOP stabilized EO payloads with integrated IMU Israel Aerospace Industries 19 Jun 2011 -- Israel Aerospace Industries' Tamam Division (IAI/Tamam), presents new versions of its Multi-Mission Optronic Stabilized Payload (MOSP3000) and Miniature Plug-in Optronic Payload (MiniPOP).
- Raytheon Awarded Contract to Enhance Situational Awareness of KC-46 Tanker Raytheon 19 Jun 2011 -- Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) has received a contract from The Boeing Company to supply ALR-69A digital radar warning receivers and digital anti-jam receiver global positioning systems for the KC-46 tanker.
- IAI Presents Its Compact Man Portable Satellite Communication Terminal- MAPSAT Israel Aerospace Industries 19 Jun 2011 -- Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) is building and integrating nano-satellites for scientific applications. Such nano-satellites typically weigh less than 10 kg and are commonly used to demonstrate new technologies and execute space missions having a short duration, of typically up to two years.
- Israel Aerospace Industries is Developing and Building Nano-Satellites in Cooperation with the Israeli Nano-Satellites Association (INSA) Israel Aerospace Industries 19 Jun 2011 -- ELTA Systems Ltd., an Israel Aerospace Industries' group and subsidiary, presents the MAPSAT (ELK 1895), a tactical Man Portable Satellite Communication (SATCOM) Terminal.
- Raytheon's First-of-Its-Kind Space-Based Hyperspectral Sensor Marks Second Year on Orbit Raytheon 19 Jun 2011 -- A groundbreaking space sensor built by Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) has completed its second year on orbit, exceeding its design life by 100 percent.
- Final stage of Fatah-Hamas talks put on halt RIA Novosti 19 Jun 2011 -- The final round of talks between leaders of the recently reconciled Fatah and Hamas movements, Mahmoud Abbas and Khaled Mashaal, scheduled for June 21 in the Egyptian capital of Cairo, was postponed for unidentified period of time, Egypt's news agency MENA said.
- Somali Prime Minister Resigns, Reversing Pledge to Stay VOA 19 Jun 2011 -- Somalia's prime minister says he is resigning, reversing a pledge he made last week to stay in office after an outpouring of support by Somalis opposed to his departure.
- Syrian Troops Ransack Northern Border Village VOA 19 Jun 2011 -- Syrian troops have reportedly ransacked a border village that had provided help to thousands of people fleeing a military crackdown on anti-government dissent.
- Iran's Rasad satellite sends 1st images from space IRNA 19 Jun 2011 -- First images have been received Sunday from Iran's Rasad satellite which was launched into orbit last Wednesday.
- Central Election Guidance Committee Formed KCNA 19 Jun 2011 -- The central election guidance committee for election of deputies to provincial, city and county people's assemblies was formed in the DPRK.
- Rodong Sinmun on WPK's Line of Giving Priority to Ideological Work KCNA 19 Jun 2011 -- It is the consistent leadership principle of the Workers' Party of Korea to give priority to ideology.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|