06 March 2011 Military News
- Karzai Condemns Civilian Casualties by NATO Troops VOA 06 Mar 2011 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai has told the commander of U.S.-led NATO forces in Afghanistan, General David Petraeus, that civilian casualties by foreign troops are "no longer acceptable."
- US presence in Afghanistan causes more violence IRNA 06 Mar 2011 -- Presence of the US forces in Afghanistan has led to more violence and major boost in the amount of illicit drugs being produced in that country, Foreign Ministry spokesman said Sunday.
- Pakistani Taliban kill pro-govt tribesman IRNA 06 Mar 2011 -- A pro-government tribesman was killed and seven others were wounded when Pakistani Taliban launched an overnight attack on their post in a tribal region, officials said Sunday.
- Pakistan ties imperative for region: US envoy IRNA 06 Mar 2011 -- The US Special envoy for Afghanistan and Pakistan, Marc Grossman, said on Sunday that relations between Pakistan and the US are not only beneficial to the two countries but are also essentially imperative for the region.
- U.S. Military Aircraft Fly Egyptians Home from Tunisia AFPS 06 Mar 2011 -- U.S. military aircraft flew 640 Egyptians home today and yesterday from the Tunisia-Libya border where the refugees fled to escape the violence that continues between government forces and rebels in Libya.
- Ramstein Units Partner to Help Evacuees From Libyan Conflict AFPS 06 Mar 2011 -- Several Ramstein Air Base units have been key to providing airlift support for the humanitarian crisis on Libya’s borders since U.S. President Barack Obama provisioned military support, March 3, 2011,
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S. Air Force launches second prototype space plane RIA Novosti 06 Mar 2011 -- The U.S. Air Force launched its second prototype unmanned space mini-shuttle under a classified X-37B program, the Los Angeles Times said Sunday.
- Gunston Hall Completes Partnership Mission NNS 06 Mar 2011 -- USS Gunston Hall (LSD 44) and embarked Security Cooperation Task Force (SCTF) completed their Amphibious Southern Partnership Station 2011 (A-SPS 11) deployment March 5, following stops in Central and South America.
- Urban training prepares Marines for future battles USMC News 06 Mar 2011 -- Shouts of “GO, GO, GO,” pierced the air as Marines moved from one building to another. In one fluid motion, they knelt under a window, covering each other and watching all avenues of approach. Up went the collapsible ladder and in moments the first Marine was inside, securing the room. One after another, they bounded up the ladder and into the room.
- Counterinsurgency: Fighting the network of terror USMC News 06 Mar 2011 -- A whirlwind of dust and debris filled the air as two CH-53 Super Stallion helicopters landed outside of Beasley Village aboard Fort Pickett, Va., Feb. 16. Without pause, Marines and sailors with Company C, 1st Battalion, 9th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marines Division, exited the helos and flooded the nearby field, posting security and keeping eyes on the adjacent town. The helicopters lifted, leaving the men one option: investigate the nearby village and win the hearts and minds of those within it.
- India successfully test-fires indigenous interceptor missile IRNA 06 Mar 2011 -- India successfully test-fired indigenously developed interceptor missile, capable of destroying any incoming hostile ballistic missile, Sunday from Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Wheeler Island off Orissa coast.
- India successfully test-fires ballistic missile interceptor RIA Novosti 06 Mar 2011 -- India has successfully test-fired its domestically developed interceptor missile capable of destroying hostile missiles, the Indian news agency IANS reported on Sunday, referring to official sources.
- Sikorsky Aerospace Services Launches New LUH HELOTRAC 2XT Maintenance Management Software System Sikorsky 06 Mar 2011 -- Sikorsky Aerospace Services (SAS) today announced the launch of its new LUH HELOTRAC 2X™ software system supporting the U.S. Army’s UH-72A Lakota Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) program. The user friendly, Web-based system records, manages and reports essential information presenting data in an easily accessible and highly visible dashboard. SAS is the aftermarket division of Sikorsky Aircraft Corp., a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE:UTX).
- US Senators Push for Consideration of Libya No-Fly Zone VOA 06 Mar 2011 -- Several prominent U.S. senators on Sunday stepped up their push for a no-fly zone over Libya and downplayed Pentagon concerns about its risks.
- Iran says US meddling in Libya for oil wells ISNA 06 Mar 2011 -- Iranian top military commander Brigadier General Hassan Firouzabadi said the US meddling in Libyan issues seeks exploiting its oil wells.
- Thousands of Gaddafi's supporters gather in Libyan capital - TV RIA Novosti 06 Mar 2011 -- Thousands of supporters of Colonel Muammar Gaddafi marched in the streets of Tripoli to celebrate the recapture of the western city of Zawiyah by forces loyal to the Libyan leader, Al-Jazeera satellite TV channel reported on Sunday.
- Gaddafi asks UN to probe into Libyan unrest RIA Novosti 06 Mar 2011 -- Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi said on Sunday he wanted the United Nations or the African Union to probe into the escalating unrest in Libya, pledging to provide free access to investigators.
- Gaddafi's forces recapture Misrata, Zawiyah coastal towns - Libyan TV RIA Novosti 06 Mar 2011 -- Troops loyal to Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi have retaken the coastal towns of Misrata and Zawiyah from rebels, state television reported on Sunday.
- Top UN officials call for urgent access to Libyan areas affected by violence UN News Centre 06 Mar 2011 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the United Nations humanitarian chief on Sunday called for urgent and unimpeded access to areas of Libya affected by violence, particularly in the western part of the country.
- Violence Continues in Libya VOA 06 Mar 2011 -- Forces loyal to Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi have launched air strikes and engaged in ground fighting with rebel forces advancing from the eastern part of the country.
- Libyan Opposition Compiling Evidence of Gadhafi Abuse, Atrocities VOA 06 Mar 2011 -- The leader of the opposition Justice and Democracy Party of Libya says he has begun compiling evidence of what he describes as flagrant human rights abuses and grave atrocities perpetrated by forces loyal to embattled leader Moammar Gadhafi against anti-government protesters.
- Israeli airstrikes hit Gaza, no casualties RIA Novosti 06 Mar 2011 -- The Israeli Air Force launched late Saturday a series of airstrikes on several Hamas facilities in Gaza, a RIA Novosti correspondent reported.
- Abyei Clashes Cloud North-South Sudan Talks VOA 06 Mar 2011 -- North and south Sudanese negotiators are reporting progress on a range of difficult issues that need to be settled before the South becomes independent in July. But the potentially explosive issue of control over the oil-rich Abyei region is being put aside for settlement at a higher level.
- African Union Head Leaves Ivory Coast After Talks With Rival Leaders VOA 06 Mar 2011 -- The head of the African Union Commission has wrapped up talks in Ivory Coast by inviting both of the country's rival presidents to a meeting in Ethiopia to resolve their political crisis.
- Thousands Protest at Bahrain Prime Minister's Office VOA 06 Mar 2011 -- Thousands of anti-government demonstrators in Bahrain rallied Sunday outside the prime minister's office -- their latest push in a weeks-long campaign for political reform.
- Protesters Attacked in Cairo as Egypt PM Names New Cabinet VOA 06 Mar 2011 -- Egypt's new prime minister named a caretaker Cabinet Sunday as armed men in plain clothes attacked hundreds of protesters demanding reform of the country's hated state security services at a rally outside the Interior Ministry in Cairo.
- Egyptian military want people to hand back stolen secret files RIA Novosti 06 Mar 2011 -- Egypt's ruling Supreme Council has called on people to return top secret documents which went missing during protesters' recent assaults on state security agencies, and asked the holders to keep the information secret.
- The Brutally Effective Method Of House Arrest RFE/RL 06 Mar 2011
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|