Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2011 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 31 Mar 2011 [PDF]
- U.S., Iraqi air force officials discuss T-6's future in Iraq AFNS 31 Mar 2011 -- Iraq air force officials took a step closer to self-sustainment after hosting their first T-6 Texan trainer aircraft program management review.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 30 Mar 2011 [PDF]
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 29 Mar 2011 [PDF]
- Kirkuk: Ignore It While You Can RFE/RL 29 Mar 2011 -- A well-timed report pointed out that Americans aren’t going to be able to forget about Iraq just because they want to.
- Iraqi Security Forces Storm Building Held by Gunmen VOA 29 Mar 2011 -- Iraqi security forces wrestled control of a provincial council headquarters from gunmen who stormed the building on Tuesday and took hostages.
- At Least 58 Killed In Hostage Siege At Iraqi Regional Government Building RFE/RL 29 Mar 2011 -- Iraqi officials say the death toll in a hostage siege at a local government office in the northern Iraqi town of Tikrit has risen to at least 58 people.
- Deadly Siege Kills at Least 20 in Iraq VOA 29 Mar 2011 -- Iraqi officials say at least 20 people have been killed after gunmen wearing military uniforms and explosive belts stormed into provincial council headquarters.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 28 Mar 2011 [PDF]
- Iraqi Police: Seven Killed In Attack On Mosul Home RFE/RL 28 Mar 2011 -- Iraqi police say gunmen have stormed a home in the former Al-Qaeda stronghold of Mosul, killing six women and a man.
- Iraqi Deputies Question Need For Three Vice Presidents RFE/RL 25 Mar 2011 -- Iraqi politicians say the country does not need to have three vice presidents when the presidential post itself is largely ceremonial, RFE/RL's Radio Free Iraq (RFI) reports.
- First Iraqi air force instructor pilot begins training students AFNS 25 Mar 2011 -- The first Iraqi air force instructor pilot to be certified since American forces ousted Saddam Hussein took a major step forward for the Iraqi air force March 19 here.
- Iraqi Parties Differ On Insurgent Groups Joining Politics RFE/RL 25 Mar 2011 -- The Iraqi government's announcement that five insurgent groups have renounced violence and will join the political process has been met with different reactions by the country's political factions, RFE/RL's Radio Free Iraq reports.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 25 Mar 2011 [PDF]
- Iraqi security improving as New Dawn nears end Army News 24 Mar 2011 -- A top Army leader in Iraq said Thursday all Operation New Dawn troops are expected to withdraw by December unless the Iraqi government asks the U.S. to stay on.
- Iraqi Official Says IDPs, Refugees Returning Home RFE/RL 24 Mar 2011 -- An Iraqi official says that internally displaced persons (IDPs) and refugees are returning to their homes in a sign that a government plan is working, RFE/RL's Radio Free Iraq (RFI) reports.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 24 Mar 2011 [PDF]
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 23 Mar 2011 [PDF]
- Advisers aid weapons delivery to Iraqi partners AFNS 22 Mar 2011 -- Iraqi and U.S. weapons crews and pilots completed a $250,000 weapons-delivery mission from Sather Air Base, Iraq to here March 14.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 22 Mar 2011 [PDF]
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 21 Mar 2011 [PDF]
- Airmen prepare Iraq bases for transition AFNS 18 Mar 2011 -- On Sept. 1, 2010, Operation New Dawn signaled more than a name change for the U.S. military mission. It ended combat operations and started a focused effort on an evolving relationship with the government of Iraq and its people.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 18 Mar 2011 [PDF]
- Army tells Congress Iraq on track to transition by year's end Army News 18 Mar 2011 -- It's up to Iraq now to be successful in their own future, said Secretary of the Army John McHugh.
- More Iraqi Deputies Criticize Kurdish Peshmerga Deployment RFE/RL 18 Mar 2011 -- Arab and Turkoman politicians in Iraq: Deployment of Kurdish Peshmerga forces to disputed Kirkuk aggravating tensions.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 17 Mar 2011 [PDF]
- 4th Infantry Division Commanding General provides Iraq update Army News 17 Mar 2011 -- Combined command information brief/town hall meeting with 4th Infantry Division forward.
- Iraqi Legislators, Criticized For Inaction, Eye Shorter Spring Break RFE/RL 17 Mar 2011 -- Iraqi lawmakers are considering halving their spring vacation, amid criticism.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 16 Mar 2011 [PDF]
- Deadly Bombing in Iraq's Kirkuk VOA 16 Mar 2011 -- Iraqi officials say a car bomb explosion in the northern city of Kirkuk has killed at least two people and wounded more than 20 others.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 15 Mar 2011 [PDF]
- Fort Hood unit assumes authority in southern Iraq Army News 15 Mar 2011 -- 3rd Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division uncased its colors and assumed authority of Muthanna, Dhi Qar, Maysan and Basrah Provinces on March 12.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 14 Mar 2011 [PDF]
- Bombing Kills 9 Soldiers at Iraqi Base VOA 14 Mar 2011 -- A suicide bomber has attacked a military base in eastern Iraq, killing at least nine Iraqi soldiers and wounding 14 others.
- At Least 8 Killed In Attack On Iraqi Army Base RFE/RL 14 Mar 2011 -- A car bomb has exploded near an army barracks in Iraq's Diyala province, reportedly killing at least eight people and wounding more than a dozen.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 11 Mar 2011 [PDF]
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 10 Mar 2011 [PDF]
- New York Army Guard Military Police Unit Heading for Iraq :105th Military Police Company Deployed to Iraq in 2003 and Returns to Help Close Out U.S. Presence Army News 09 Mar 2011 -- More than 700 family members, friends and officials turned out to say goodbye to 110 members of the New York Army National Guard's 105th Military Police Company here on Wednesday, March 9.
- Greywolf begins relief in place Army News 08 Mar 2011 -- Troopers from 3rd Advise and Assist Bde., 1st Cavalry Division conducted a relief in place with units in Iraq while developing their own tactics, techniques and procedures.
- Saber medics broaden their skills Army News 08 Mar 2011 -- Some people fear the sight of blood or even the hint of a needle, but not the medics of 6th Squadron, 9th Cavalry Regiment; they jump at every opportunity to improve their medical and life-saving skills.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 08 Mar 2011 [PDF]
- Air Force firefighters stay ready to fight any blaze in Iraq AFNS 07 Mar 2011 -- They laugh and they joke, but when the call comes, they move with absolute seriousness. They relax and they play, but when they are needed, they move like they knew it was coming.
- Airmen deliver weather gear to Iraqi air force AFNS 07 Mar 2011 -- Members of an Air Force weather team set up a new tactical weather radar and tactical meteorological observation system for the Iraqi air force at Qayyarah West Airfield, Iraq, March 2.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 07 Mar 2011 [PDF]
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 04 Mar 2011 [PDF]
- Protesters Take To Iraq's Streets Despite Vehicle Ban RFE/RL 04 Mar 2011 -- Protesters have gathered in the streets of several Iraqi cities for a new "Day of Rage," but so far without bloodshed.
- Iraqi protesters gather in Baghdad's central square RIA Novosti 04 Mar 2011 -- Thousands of people gathered on Baghdad's Tahrir Square on Friday for an anti-government demonstration.
- In Iraq, Thousands Protest for Better Services VOA 04 Mar 2011 -- Thousands of Iraqis took to the streets in cities and towns across the country on Friday, calling for better public services and demanding the government clean up corruption.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 03 Mar 2011 [PDF]
- Suicide Bomber Kills 9 at Iraqi Bank VOA 03 Mar 2011 -- Officials in northwestern Iraq say a suicide bomber has blown himself up at a bank as Iraqi soldiers were waiting to collect their pay, killing at least nine people.
- Suicide Bomber Kills At Least Eight In Iraq RFE/RL 03 Mar 2011 -- A suicide bomber has killed at least eight people and wounded about a dozen at a bank in the Iraqi town of Haditha, northwest of Baghdad.
- Minorities In Iraq's Kirkuk Alarmed By Kurdish Troop Presence RFE/RL 03 Mar 2011 -- Leading Arab and Turkoman politicians in Iraq are voicing concern over the deployment of Kurdish Peshmerga forces near the oil-rich city of Kirkuk.
- Former Iraqi PM Rejects Government Job RFE/RL 03 Mar 2011 -- Iraq's former prime minister says he has turned down a position in the country's new government.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 02 Mar 2011 [PDF]
- Airpower Summary for Feb. 13 to 19 AFNS 02 Mar 2011
- Security barriers coming down in a revitalized Samarra Army News 02 Mar 2011 -- Two days before the fifth anniversary of the bombing of Al Askari "Golden" Mosque, the security barriers protecting one of the holiest Shia shrines in Iraq came down.
- All Iraqis have right to participate in rebuilding their country, UN stresses UN News Centre 02 Mar 2011 -- The UN stressed the right of all Iraqis to participate in building a democratic, stable and prosperous nation.
- Ex-Army Officer Convicted in Iraq Contract Fraud VOA 02 Mar 2011 -- A federal jury convicted a former US Army officer and his wife of charges for a scheme that netted them millions of dollars in illegal payments related to contracts in Iraq.
- Airmen harness radiation to search vehicles AFNS 02 Mar 2011 -- 447th Expeditionary Security Forces Airmen are developing their vehicle-search skills using the relocatable Vehicle and Cargo Inspection System.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 01 Mar 2011 [PDF]
- Saber Squadron joins new formation in Iraq Army News 01 Mar 2011 -- Soldiers of 6-9th Cavalry uncased its colors in a ceremony to signify the beginning of its mission in Iraq Feb. 23.
- Schweinfurt MPs help contain Jalalabad bank heist Army News 01 Mar 2011 -- Soldiers from 3/630th Military Police Company helped stop a bank robbery in Jalalabad, a city in eastern Afghanistan near the border with Pakistan.
- Taking on non-lethal ammo training Army News 01 Mar 2011 -- In this training, the Soldiers familiarized themselves with firing the rounds on the M500 shotgun and M203 grenade launcher.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list