12 November 2010 Military News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 12 Nov 2010 [PDF]
- Airpower Summary for November 10 AFNS 12 Nov 2010
- Airpower Summary for November 09 AFNS 12 Nov 2010
- Airpower Summary for November 08 AFNS 12 Nov 2010
- Airstrike in Helmand Kills 7 Insurgents AFPS 12 Nov 2010 -- An International Security Assistance Force airstrike targeting a district-level Taliban command and control center in the Now Zad district of Afghanistan’s Helmand province today left seven insurgents dead, military officials reported.
- AFGHANISTAN: NGOs under pressure in government anti-corruption drive IRIN 12 Nov 2010 -- The recent ban on around 150 NGOs - almost all of them local NGOs - for flouting reporting procedures is believed to be an Afghan government attempt to demonstrate it is taking action against corruption, aid workers say.
- Georgian soldiers hand over mission, help secure Afghanistan USMC News 12 Nov 2010 -- For the last six months, Georgian soldiers of the 31st Battalion have worked alongside Afghan National Army soldiers and U.S. Marines in southern Afghanistan to eliminate the Taliban and bring security to the Afghan people.
- Russia completes small arms deliveries to Afghanistan RIA Novosti 12 Nov 2010 -- Russia has completed deliveries of small arms and ammunition to Afghanistan under a military assistance program.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Supreme Court Keeps ‘Don’t Ask’ in Place Through Appeals Process AFPS 12 Nov 2010 -- The U.S. Supreme Court today ruled that the law banning gays from serving openly in the military will stay in place while the case moves through the federal appeals court process.
- DoD News: Statement by Press Secretary Geoff Morrell on CRWG Report Leaks DoD 12 Nov 2010 -- Secretary Gates is very concerned and extremely disappointed that unnamed sources within the Department of Defense have selectively revealed aspects of the draft findings of the Comprehensive Review Working Group, presumably to shape perceptions of the report prior to its release.
- Gates Orders Probe Into ‘Don’t Ask’ Review Leak AFPS 12 Nov 2010 -- Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates has condemned the unauthorized release of draft findings of a working group studying the impact of a potential repeal of the ban on gays and lesbians serving openly in the military, and he has ordered an investigation into the source, Pentagon Press Secretary Geoff Morrell said today.
- 28th Bomb Wing participating in Green Flag East AFNS 12 Nov 2010 -- Airmen of the 28th Bomb Wing here are participating in a joint-service exercise at Barksdale Air Force Base, La., Nov. 5 through 14.
- Mullen Urges New Methods of Deterrence AFPS 12 Nov 2010 -- The United States needs to develop new ways of looking at deterrence for the 21st century, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said here today.
- Bataan Begins Implementing AIRSpeed Navy NewsStand 12 Nov 2010 -- The Supply and Aircraft Intermediate Maintenance Departments (AIMD) aboard USS Bataan (LHD 5) began implementing AIRSpeed Nov. 8, an initiative designed to help reduce the cost of shipboard maintenance while lessening the time it takes to carry out processes.
- Navy Acquisition Chief: Continue Science & Technology Investment Navy NewsStand 12 Nov 2010 -- The naval community must be able to steer investments toward the technologies that provide the greatest promise of benefit to Sailors and Marines, said the Navy's acquisition chief Nov. 10 at the 2010 Office of Naval Research (ONR) Partnership Conference.
- Senior Enlisted Continuation Board Notifications Underway Navy NewsStand 12 Nov 2010 -- The board results have been approved by the chief of naval personnel, and Navy Personnel Command (NPC) is notifying commanding officers of Sailors who have not been selected for continuation.
- Services Release Findings of Internal Threat Reviews AFPS 12 Nov 2010 -- The Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps will update their policies and procedures to better assess internal security threats, according to reports the services filed this week in response to last year’s shooting rampage at Fort Hood, Texas.
- Energy effort not just about conservation AFNS 12 Nov 2010 -- Members of the energy team here want the community to know that they are taking a multifaceted approach to energy that involves more than simple conservation efforts.
- Review aims to streamline ART hiring process AFNS 12 Nov 2010 -- Personnel officials from the Air Force Reserve Command and the Air Force Personnel Center met here Oct. 26 through 28 to begin steps in reducing the timeline of the hiring process for air reserve technicians, or ARTs.
- Destroyer Commissioning Honors Marine Hero AFPS 12 Nov 2010 -- Final preparations are under way in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., for the commissioning tomorrow of the Navy’s newest guided-missile destroyer, to be named honoring Marine Corps Cpl. Jason L. Dunham, who received the Medal of Honor posthumously for heroism in Iraq.
- 26th MEU Marines endure African climate to train in Djibouti USMC News 12 Nov 2010 -- Marines with 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit arrived on the shores of a Djiboutian beach to scorching temperatures and the site of donkeys, camels and a mountainous landscape to conduct sustainment training at the end of October 2010.
- The Battle of Wanat Study Army News 12 Nov 2010
- NATO central military command may be moved from Belgium - parliament member RIA Novosti 12 Nov 2010 -- NATO's central military command may be relocated from the Belgian city of Mons to a city in Germany, a deputy from the Belgian parliament said on Friday.
- Moscow believes Russia-NATO summit to end 'post-Cold War' period - Lavrov RIA Novosti 12 Nov 2010 -- Russia believes the Russia-NATO summit in Lisbon will completely put an end to the post-Cold War period and set guidelines toward a strategic partnership, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Friday.
- Turkey undecided over NATO missile defense shield on its soil - Turkish PM RIA Novosti 12 Nov 2010 -- Ankara has not made a decision on the deployment of NATO missile defense shields on its soil yet, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Friday.
- Russia ready to cooperate with NATO on missile defense in interests of all -Lavrov RIA Novosti 12 Nov 2010 -- Russia is ready to cooperate with NATO on the question of missile defense and create a missile defense pool on condition that the security of all nations is taken into consideration, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Friday.
- Armenian Army Scrambles To Tackle Abuse After Spate Of Deaths RFE/RL 12 Nov 2010 -- Armenian Defense Minister Seyran Ohanian this month faced the uneasy task of comforting parents whose sons were found dead after suffering vicious treatment in the army.
- November 12, 2010 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 12 Nov 2010
- U.S. Undersecretary Of State For Public Diplomacy Talks About America's Image RFE/RL 12 Nov 2010 -- both he and Secretary [of State Hillary] Clinton -- to pursuing engagement with people all over the world, an engagement based on mutual respect, mutual trust, mutual understanding, and a cooperative approach to all the challenges that face us.
- Press Conference by the President After G20 Meetings in Seoul, Korea The White House 12 Nov 2010
- DoD News: Contracts for November 12, 2010
- BAE Systems To Transfer ALADDIN Learning to Operational Projects BAE Systems 12 Nov 2010 -- Today marks the completion of the first stage of the successful ALADDIN project, a joint programme between industry, academia and EPSRC (Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council).
- Boeing Completes 1st Wedgetail AEW&C Mission Crew Training Course for Royal Australian Air Force Boeing 12 Nov 2010 -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] and Number 2 Squadron personnel from the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) have delivered the first Wedgetail Airborne Early Warning & Control (AEW&C) mission crew training course at RAAF Base Williamtown, New South Wales.
- Boeing NewGen Tanker Win Would Bring 230 Jobs, $10 Million to Oklahoma Boeing 12 Nov 2010 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] today announced that Oklahoma will benefit from an estimated 230 total jobs and generate an estimated $10 million in annual economic impact if the NewGen Tanker is selected as the U.S. Air Force's next aerial refueling aircraft.
- Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding Announces Employment Reduction in Virginia Northrop Grumman 12 Nov 2010 -- Northrop Grumman (NYSE:NOC) has announced a reduction in force of about 380 salaried employees at its Newport News, Va. shipbuilding facility, effective today.
- Orbital Opens Mission Operations Center for NASA's Commerical Cargo Services Program Orbital Sciences Corp. 12 Nov 2010 -- Orbital Sciences Corporation (NYSE: ORB) announced that it held a formal dedication ceremony earlier today to mark the completion of a new facility that will serve as the Mission Operations Center (MOC) for the company’s cargo logistics missions to the International Space Station (ISS) for NASA that begin in 2011.
- Northrop Grumman Selected by UK Ministry of Defence for Mode S Upgrade to Identification Friend or Foe Systems on Sentry E-3D AWACS Aircraft Northrop Grumman 12 Nov 2010 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) has been awarded a contract by the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) to design, develop, integrate, test and support the Mode S upgrade to the Identification Friend or Foe Interrogator for the Sentry E-3D Airborne Warning and Control System (AWACS) aircraft based at RAF Waddington.
- DCNS and Navantia have put an end to their disagreement concerning their submarine collaboration. DCNS 12 Nov 2010
- Boeing Submits Proposal for Next Generation Aegis Missile Contract Boeing 12 Nov 2010 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] today submitted a proposal to the U.S. Missile Defense Agency (MDA) for the concept definition and program planning phase of the Next Generation Aegis Missile (NGAM).
- 12 November 2010 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 12 Nov 2010
- Growing tensions in northern Kosovo highlight need for dialogue, says UN envoy UN News Centre 12 Nov 2010 -- Growing tensions in northern Kosovo and lack of progress on outstanding issues has made dialogue between Pristina and Belgrade all the more necessary, a senior United Nations official told the Security Council today.
- Stepping up support for referendum, UN delivers vehicles to southern Sudan UN News Centre 12 Nov 2010 -- The United Nations has delivered 20 all-terrain vehicles to the commission tasked with organising the referendum on self-determination for Southern Sudan early next year.
- Côte d’Ivoire: UN envoy certifies results of first round of presidential poll UN News Centre 12 Nov 2010 -- The United Nations envoy to Côte d’Ivoire today certified the results of the first round of the presidential election in the West African country, paving the way for the run-off on 28 November between the two candidates who garnered the highest number of votes.
- Nigeria Threatens to Report Iran to UN Over Arms Shipment VOA 12 Nov 2010 -- Nigerian officials say they will report Iran to the U.N. Security Council if they find evidence that an illegal arms shipment allegedly originating in Iran broke international law and U.N. sanctions.
- CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC: Food security fears rise as attacks increase IRIN 12 Nov 2010 -- A rise in armed incursions is restricting people’s movements, reducing their ability to farm and increasing food security concerns in the Haut-Mbomou and Mbomou regions in the southeast Central African Republic (CAR), says an international humanitarian agency.
- LAOS: New MDG to tackle UXOs IRIN 12 Nov 2010 -- In the world's most heavily bombed country per capita, a specific Millennium Development Goal (MDG) has been adopted to clear unexploded ordnance (UXO) and help survivors 37 years after the last US bomb fell on Lao People's Democratic Republic (Laos).
- London tribunal investigates complicity in Israeli war crimes IRNA 12 Nov 2010 -- A three-day international tribunal is being held in London next weekend to investigate corporate complicity in Israel’s violations of international law.
- Militant, soldier killed in Kashmir gunbattle IRNA 12 Nov 2010 -- A militant and a constable of Special Operations Group (SOG) of police were killed in a gunbattle in Sopore town in north Kashmir on Friday.
- Thousands of Burmese Refugees Return Home from Thailand VOA 12 Nov 2010 -- The United Nations refugee agency (UNHCR) says most of the 15,000 Burmese refugees who fled into Thailand earlier this week, have returned across the border. UNHCR says it is concerned that many may be returning before it is safe for them to do so.
- UN prepares to facilitate voluntary return of conflict-displaced Pakistanis UN News Centre 12 Nov 2010 -- The United Nations refugee agency said today it is preparing to help internally displaced persons (IDPs) in Pakistan who fled military operations in South Waziristan last year to return to their villages after some of them expressed their desire to go back home.
- Spy Defection Roils Russian Intelligence Service RFE/RL 12 Nov 2010 -- The exposure of 10 Russian deep-cover spies in the United States last summer brought accusations that Russia was still fighting the Cold War two decades after the Soviet collapse.
- Medvedev says SVR must study lessons from US spies episode RIA Novosti 12 Nov 2010 -- Russia's foreign intelligence service, the SVR, must learn the lessons of the episode in which a group of its agents were unmasked in the United States this year, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said on Friday.
- Russian Double Agent Betrayed Spy Ring in US VOA 12 Nov 2010 -- Russia's spy scandal is flaring up again on the news that an intelligence service colonel betrayed the identities of 10 spies, then defected to the United States.
- Obama Hails Iraqi Power-Sharing Deal VOA 12 Nov 2010 -- U.S. President Barack Obama says Iraq's new coalition government will be representative, inclusive and reflect the will of the Iraqi people.
- With deadlock broken, Ban calls for swift formation of Iraqi government UN News Centre 12 Nov 2010 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today welcomed the “major step forward” taken with the agreement reached after months of deadlock on the formation of a new Iraqi government, and called on the country’s leaders to swiftly conclude the process.
- Iran's glory indebted to Sacred Defense: advisor IRNA 12 Nov 2010 -- Military advisor to Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said here on Friday that Iran attained glory in the wake of the campaign of the Iranian nation during the Sacred Defense Era (1980-88).
- Bomb blast at intelligence office kills 15 in Karachi IRNA 12 Nov 2010 -- A huge bomb attack on a Pakistani intelligence office in the port city of Karachi killed at least 15 people and injured nearly 80 others, TV channels reported.
- Taliban claim responsibility for Karachi attack IRNA 12 Nov 2010 -- Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for the Thursday night attack on the office of an intelligence office in the port city of Karachi, local TV channels reported.
- Pakistani PM condemns attack on intelligence office IRNA 12 Nov 2010 -- Prime Minister Syed Yusuf Raza Gilani has strongly condemned the bomb explosion in the southern port city of Karachi, which killed at least 15 people and injured over 100.
- Burma May Soon Release Opposition Leader Aung San Suu Kyi VOA 12 Nov 2010 -- Burma's military rulers appear to be on the verge of releasing pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi from house arrest, after detaining her for most of the past two decades.
- Independent UN rights experts urge Myanmar to release all political prisoners UN News Centre 12 Nov 2010 -- Four United Nations human rights experts today urged the Government of Myanmar to immediately and unconditionally release pro-democracy leader and Nobel Peace Prize laureate Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, as well as the over 2,200 political prisoners detained in the country.
- UN lauds Latin America’s declaration on refugee protection UN News Centre 12 Nov 2010 -- The United Nations refugee agency today welcomed a landmark declaration by 18 South American countries to protect refugees, the displaced and stateless persons in the region, saying the proclamation was a model for other parts of the world to emulate.
- Haiti: UN launches $164 million appeal to fight deadly cholera outbreak UN News Centre 12 Nov 2010 -- United Nations agencies and their partners today appealed for $164 million to support Haiti’s efforts to fight the deadly cholera outbreak that has already claimed several hundred lives in the small Caribbean nation.
- Guinea Presidential Candidates Call for Calm as Voters Await Results VOA 12 Nov 2010 -- Both of Guinea's presidential candidates are calling on their supporters to stay calm as the country awaits final results from Sunday's vote. The candidates met separately with officials from the International Criminal Court.
- US Senator in Kenya To Evaluate Security Threats to Biological Research Facilities VOA 12 Nov 2010 -- A delegation from the United States is in Kenya to evaluate major biomedical facilities and ensure their protection against terrorist threats.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|