05 August 2008 Military News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 5 Aug 2008 [PDF]
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- Aug. 4 airpower summary: B-1Bs strike enemy militants AFPN 05 Aug 2008
- PRESS CONFERENCE: Iraqi Reconstruction Update: Dr. al-Sheikhly, Aug. 5, 2008 MNF-I 05 Aug 2008 -- Dr. Tahseen al-Sheikhly, Civilian Spokesman for Operation Fardh al-Qanoon, provides an Iraqi reconstruction update and discusses the Master Development Plan for Baghdad
- Coalition, Iraqi Forces Kill One, Detain 21 AFPS 5 Aug 2008 -- Coalition and Iraqi forces killed one enemy fighter, wounded two more and detained 21 suspected terrorists.
- Afghan Forces Continue Progress Toward Autonomy, Colonel Says AFPS 5 Aug 2008
- Pentagon to Keep Marine Unit in Afghanistan an Extra Month AFPS 5 Aug 2008 -- The Defense Department has extended by one month the deployments of about 1,250 Marines working as trainers to Afghan security forces.
- AFGHANISTAN: NATO-led forces, aid agencies agree new modus operandi IRIN 5 Aug 2008 -- International Security Assistance Force and humanitarian organisations have agreed on rules to improve civil-military interactions.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Transcript: DoD News Briefing with Geoff Morrell from the Pentagon Briefing Room, Arlington Va. 05 Aug 2008 -- Presenter: Pentagon Press Secretary Geoff Morrell
- Second Volume of Tenth Quadrennial Review of Military Compensation Released 05 Aug 2008 -- The Department of Defense released today the second volume of the report of the Tenth Quadrennial Review of Military Compensation (QRMC), which assesses the effectiveness of military pay and benefits in recruiting and retaining a high-quality force.
- Transcript: DoD News Brieifing with Director of the 10th Quadrennial Review of Military Compensation Jan D. Eakle and Principal Director, Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for Military Personnel Policy Shiela Earle 05 Aug 2008 -- Presenter: Director of the 10th Quadrennial Review of Military Compensation Jan D. Eakle and Principal Director, Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for Military Personnel Policy Shiela Earle
- AFOSI marks 60 years of service AFPN 05 Aug 2008 -- Brig. Gen. Dana A. Simmons, Air Force Office of Special Investigations commander, hosted AFOSI's 60th Anniversary wreath-laying ceremony Aug. 1 at the Air Force Memorial located across from the Pentagon.
- Immunizations Key for Healthy Servicemembers, Families, Officials Say AFPS 05 Aug 2008 -- Obtaining proper immunizations against disease is a key factor in sustaining the health of servicemembers, military retirees and their families, senior defense health officials said here today.
- Panel Recommends Changes to Military Retirement AFPS 05 Aug 2008 -- A panel looking at military compensation has recommended dramatic changes in the military retirement system.
- Compensation Panel Recommends TRICARE Changes AFPS 05 Aug 2008 -- The Quadrennial Review of Military Compensation has recommended fee changes to Tricare, the military's health care system.
- Chiarelli takes oath as vice chief Army News 05 Aug 2008 -- In a Pentagon ceremony Monday afternoon, Secretary of Defense Robert Gates promoted Lt. Gen. Peter W. Chiarelli to four-star general and Army Secretary Pete Geren administered Chiarelli's oath of office as the Army's 32nd vice chief of staff.
- Officials dedicate enlisted education center AFPN 05 Aug 2008 -- Air University officials dedicated the Thomas N. Barnes Center for Enlisted Education to the fourth chief master sergeant of the Air Force at a ceremony here July 24.
- Sailors Support Local Community While Deployed to El Salvador Navy NewsStand 05 Aug 2008 -- Personnel and Sailors deployed to Forward Operating Location (FOL), with Patrol Squadron 40, Sea Operations Detachment and Consolidated Maintenance Organization 10, volunteered their time and skills during a local community relations project July 25.
- NMCB 133 Conducts Beach Cleanup in Okinawa Navy NewsStand 05 Aug 2008 -- Fifty-one Seabees from Naval Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB) 133 participated July 26, in the first large scale community relations project since NMCB 133's arrival at Camp Shields, Okinawa in June for a seven-month deployment.
- DSU Showcases Submarine Rescue Capabilities Navy NewsStand 05 Aug 2008 -- Deep Submergence Unit (DSU) hosted the second annual Submarine Rescue Day at their command on Naval Air Station North Island Aug. 1-2.
- U.S. Pacific Fleet Master Chief Visits NMCB 133 Detachment Sasebo Navy NewsStand 05 Aug 2008 -- Seabees with Naval Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB) 133 Detail Sasebo had the unique opportunity to visit with the fleet master chief for the U.S. Pacific Fleet July 14.
- USS Momsen Visits Cyprus Navy NewsStand 05 Aug 2008 -- USS Momsen (DDG 92) departed July 27 after a two-day port visit to Cyprus.
- Navy Supply Ship Aids Community in Guatemala Navy NewsStand 05 Aug 2008 -- Crew members of USNS Saturn (T-AFS 10) participated in a community relations project in Municipio de Ztapa Guatemala, July 23.
- Carrier Strike Group 12 Changes Command Navy NewsStand 05 Aug 2008 -- Carrier Strike Group (CSG) 12, Enterprise Strike Group (ESG), changed leadership in a ceremony Aug.1 at its headquarters at Naval Station Norfolk.
- Russian warplanes ready to join large-scale exercise in Belarus RIA Novosti 5 Aug 2008 -- The Russian Air Force is ready to contribute Su-27 Flanker or MiG-29 Fulcrum fighter jets to an upcoming drill in Belarus.
- Russia to conduct military exercises in Indian Ocean this fall RIA Novosti 5 Aug 2008 -- Russian Tu-160 Blackjack and Tu-95 Bear strategic bombers will join the Russian navy in a series of exercises in the Indian Ocean, the Air Force commander said on Tuesday.
- Russia, NATO plan joint use of transport planes RIA Novosti 5 Aug 2008 -- Russian Air Force planes could take part in future joint operations with NATO.
- Poland abandons conscription to create professional army IRNA 5 Aug 2008
- Daily Press Briefing US Dep.t of State 05 Aug 2008
- DoD News: Contracts for August 05, 2008
- Boeing Awarded Contract for GPS Enhancement Demonstration Boeing 05 Aug 2008 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] has been awarded a $153.5 million U.S. Naval Research Laboratory contract to demonstrate High Integrity Global Positioning System (GPS) technology concepts
- Lockheed Martin SBIRS Team Completes On-Orbit Handover Of First HEO Payload To U.S. Air Force Lockheed Martin 05 Aug 2008 -- Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] announced today the successful on-orbit handover of the first Space Based Infrared System (SBIRS) Highly Elliptical Orbit (HEO-1) payload and ground system to the U.S. Air Force in preparation for the start of certified operations later this year.
- Boeing Awarded Shipboard Network Communications System Contract Boeing 05 Aug 2008 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] has been awarded a $5.4 million firm, fixed-price contract by the U.S. Navy to produce an updated shipboard network communications system for the USS Arleigh Burke guided-missile destroyer (DDG).
- CACI Publishes Recommendations for Integrated National Strategy to Counter Asymmetric Threats to U.S. and Global Security CACI 05 Aug 2008 -- CACI International Inc (NYSE:CAI), announced today that it has published the results of a symposium in which national security leaders from government, industry, and academia addressed the need for a unified national strategy to deal with asymmetric threats to U.S. and global security.
- General Dynamics Awarded $24 Million for USMC Light Armored Vehicles General Dynamics 05 Aug 2008 -- General Dynamics Land Systems has been awarded a $24.2 million contract to produce 10 LAV-25 Light Armored Vehicles (LAVs), three LAV logistics vehicles and vehicle components for the United States Marine Corps (USMC) to meet anticipated war-loss requirements
- Advanced Aerial Refueling Boom for Northrop Grumman's KC-45 Tanker Concludes Testing Phase Northrop Grumman 05 Aug 2008 -- The advanced Aerial Refueling Boom System (ARBS) for Northrop Grumman Corporation's (NYSE:NOC) KC-45 Tanker has completed its testing and validation phase
- New AMRAAM Variant Destroys Target During Recent Test Raytheon 05 Aug 2008 -- A U.S. Navy F/A-18F Super Hornet fighter aircraft fired the newest variant of Raytheon Company's (NYSE: RTN) Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile May 22 as part of developmental testing.
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 05 Aug 2008
- Israel sends Fatah members who fled Gaza to West Bank RIA Novosti 5 Aug 2008 -- Israel transferred 88 Fatah members who fled Gaza after clashes with militant group Hamas to the West Bank.
- Israel threatens Gaza with resumed military operations RIA Novosti 5 Aug 2008 -- Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak: Convinced that military operations will resume in the future.
- Lebanese Cabinet Approves Policy Statement VOA 5 Aug 2008 -- The Lebanese government agreed on a policy manifesto allowing Hezbollah to keep its weapons and continue its self-proclaimed "resistance" to Israel.
- Pakistan army says 94 militants killed in operation IRNA 5 Aug 2008 -- Pakistani army said that 94 militants have been killed in a major operation launched in Swat valley.
- Russian peacekeepers arrive in Sudan for rotation RIA Novosti 5 Aug 2008 -- Russian Air Force personnel arrived in Sudan as part of a scheduled rotation of Russia's UN peacekeeping mission.
- SUDAN: Cattle raids and clashes still plague Jonglei IRIN 5 Aug 2008
- DRC-RWANDA: Rwandan combatants in voluntary cantonment IRIN 5 Aug 2008 -- The disarmament of 67 Rwandan Hutu combatants in the Democratic Republic of the Congo should encourage other fighters to abandon armed conflict.
- Georgian minister to hold talks in S.Ossetia to settle situation RIA Novosti 5 Aug 2008 -- Georgia's state minister on reintegration will hold talks in the capital of the breakaway region of South Ossetia.
- Abkhazia says could side with S.Ossetia in war with Georgia RIA Novosti 5 Aug 2008 -- The breakaway republic of Abkhazia could assist South Ossetia, if a full-scale war with Georgia breaks out.
- Report: Zimbabwe Parties Near Agreement VOA 5 Aug 2008 -- Zimbabwe's ruling party and opposition close to a power-sharing deal aimed at ending the country's political crisis.
- Rwandan Report Alleges French Role in Genocide VOA 5 Aug 2008 -- The Rwandan government set to release a report documenting France's role in the country's 1994 genocide.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|