01 July 2008 Military News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 01 Jul 2008 [PDF]
- Army Releases Account of First 18 Months After Saddam's Fall AFPS 01 Jul 2008 -- A new book released by the Army examines the challenging period of transition from conventional combined-arms operations to full-spectrum and counterinsurgency operations in Iraq after the fall of Saddam Hussein's regime in April 2003.
- Four brigades tapped for Iraq rotation Army News 01 Jul 2008 -- The Department of Defense announced Monday that four brigade combat teams will rotate to Iraq early next year.
- June 30 airpower summary: B-1Bs deter enemy combatants AFPN 01 Jul 2008
- U.S. Troops in Iraq Confiscate Munitions in Baghdad Raids AFPS 01 Jul 2008 -- U.S. soldiers seized a quantity of munitions during four security operations conducted in Baghdad on June 29, military officials said.
- Coalition Troops in Afghanistan Kill 34 Militants, Capture Four AFPS 01 Jul 2008 -- Coalition forces in Afghanistan killed 34 militants and captured four others during separate operations in Khowst and Nimruz provinces yesterday, military officials said.
- Afghan situation worsening, UN relief chief says IRNA 01 Jul 2008 -- The humanitarian situation inside Afghanistan is getting worse, with civilian casualties rising and food prices soaring, the United Nations relief chief said, calling for the international community to revise its assistance plans to the strife- torn country.
- NATO, Pakistani Troops Coordinate Attacks to Fight Militants on Afghan-Pakistani Border VOA 01 Jul 2008 -- NATO says its forces, in coordination with the Pakistani military, have beaten back a militant attack on a NATO post in Afghanistan.
- Airmen launch fifth day of California fire support AFPN 01 Jul 2008 -- Airmen and aircraft of the 302nd Air Expeditionary Group here launched their fifth day of California wildfire support June 30 in an effort to control fires engulfing areas of the Tahoe and Los Padres National Forests.
- Iowa Guard Civil Support Team Pulls Poisons From Flood Waters AFPS 01 Jul 2008 -- A National Guard counterterrorism unit has been wet and waist-deep in its battle against hazardous materials caught up in floodwaters in Des Moines, Iowa.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Statement by the President on the Nonproliferation of Nuclear Weapons The White House 01 Jul 2008
- Enlistment marks 35th year of volunteer Army Army News 01 Jul 2008 -- Some 31 Americans pledged or re-pledged themselves to service in the U.S. Army Tuesday during a ceremony at the Pentagon to commemorate the 35th anniversary of the all-volunteer force.
- All-volunteer Army envy of world says G-1 Army News 01 Jul 2008 -- Today the Army celebrates the 35th anniversary of the end of the draft and the beginning of the all-volunteer force, an occasion the deputy chief of staff for personnel, G-1, called one of the nation's greatest management successes.
- Army Commemorates 35 Years of All-Volunteer Force AFPS 01 Jul 2008 -- Thirty-one soldiers celebrated the 35th anniversary of the all-volunteer force by enlisting or re-enlisting in the Pentagon courtyard today
- Incentives Help Sustain All-Volunteer Force, General Says AFPS 01 Jul 2008 -- With competitive salaries, a top-notch retirement package, and now the option to share education benefits with family members, a career in the U.S. military has become far more attractive since the days of the draft.
- Air Force medics join Navy mission AFPN 01 Jul 2008 -- Twenty-eight Air Force medics from across the Pacific region are spending time on the open sea as they participate in Pacific Partnership 2008.
- Civilians can consider military treatment facility if injured AFPN 01 Jul 2008 -- If an Air Force civilian employee is injured on the job, time can be vitally important in getting that injury treated.
- Symposium Identifies Issues to Advance Care of Soldiers, Families AFPS 01 Jul 2008 -- The U.S. Army Wounded Warrior Program, called "AW2" for short, held its fourth annual symposium in Indianapolis last week to identify the most important issues to advance wounded soldier care, the program's director said yesterday.
- U.S. Must Convey What Africa Command Will, Won't Be, Officials Say AFPS 01 Jul 2008 -- As U.S. Africa Command prepares to go fully operational, one of its big challenges will be communicating not only what it aims to achieve, but also what it doesn't, senior officials at the Pentagon and at the new command agree.
- Ships Begin CARAT Singapore At-Sea Phase Navy NewsStand 01 Jul 2008 -- The Singapore at-sea phase of Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT) 2008 began June 25.
- 'Gold Eagle' Begins Transition to New PT Uniforms Navy NewsStand 01 Jul 2008 -- USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) Sailors are now wearing the Navy's newly-issued Physical Training Uniform (PTU) during workout sessions throughout the ship.
- MCPON Sends Independence Day Message To The Fleet Navy NewsStand 01 Jul 2008
- Singaporean Ship Scores Direct Hit During CARAT Exercise Navy NewsStand 01 Jul 2008 -- RSS Endeavour (209) successfully struck down a drone missile during a training exercise as part of the Singapore phase of Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT) June 26.
- Adm. Cosgriff Outlines Importance of Maritime Security in Gulf Navy NewsStand 01 Jul 2008 -- Vice Adm. Kevin Cosgriff, commander, U.S. Naval Forces Central Command (NAVCENT)/U.S. 5th Fleet/Combined Maritime Forces met with regional media in Bahrain, June 30 to discuss the role of maritime security in the Gulf, which builds a foundation for regional security and global prosperity.
- National Security Agency awards trophy to Beale unit AFPN 01 Jul 2008 -- National Security Agency officials recently selected the 13th Intelligence Squadron here as the Air Force winner of the 2007 Director's Trophy, awarded annually for outstanding direct tactical signals intelligence contributions to warfighters.
- Pilot tackles Typhoons during exchange duty in England AFPN 01 Jul 2008 -- When an American F-16 Fighting Falcon pilot was given the opportunity of applying for an exchange posting, he had no hesitation in selecting a tour to fly the F-2 Typhoon with the Royal Air Force.
- USS Momsen Provides Mechanical Assistance to Cargo Dhow Navy NewsStand 01 Jul 2008 -- Crew members from the guided-missile destroyer USS Momsen (DDG 92) provided engineering and mechanical assistance to a vessel in distress in the Indian Ocean, June 15.
- Clark Assumes Command Of Submarine Squadron 4 Navy NewsStand 01 Jul 2008 -- Submarine Squadron (SUBRON) 4 held a change of command ceremony at Naval Submarine Base New London June 27.
- India to train Sri Lankan soldiers IRNA 01 Jul 2008 -- Even as it pushes Sri Lanka to renew political efforts towards resolving its bloody ethnic strife, India is virtually throwing open the doors of its different military institutions to train Sri Lankan soldiers.
- Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 01 Jul 2008
- Press Briefing on the President's Trip to Japan and the G8 Summit The White House 01 Jul 2008
- Press Gaggle by Tony Fratto The White House 01 Jul 2008
- DoD News: Contracts for July 01, 2008
- Boeing Installs Engines on 1st P-8A Poseidon Boeing 01 Jul 2008 -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] installed two CFM56-7B engines on the U.S. Navy's first P-8A Poseidon June 21 in Renton, Wash.
- Lockheed Martin receives $23.4 Million Contract Modification to update Formal Training Unit for C-130 Aircrews Lockheed Martin 01 Jul 2008 -- The U.S. Air Force has awarded Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] a $23.3 million modification to the C-130 Aircrew Training System contract, which provides comprehensive academic and simulation training for C-130 weapons system aircrews
- Northrop Grumman Receives $240 Million Contract for the Airborne and Maritime/Fixed Station Joint Tactical Radio System Program Northrop Grumman 01 Jul 2008 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) has received a 56-month contract from Lockheed Martin worth up to $240 million, if all options are exercised, to provide critical technologies for the Airborne and Maritime/Fixed Station (AMF) Joint Tactical Radio System (JTRS).
- Northrop Grumman-built Amphibious Dock Ship Green Bay (LPD 20) Completes Successful Builder's Sea Trials Northrop Grumman 01 Jul 2008 -- The Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC)-built amphibious transport dock ship Green Bay (LPD 20) successfully completed builder's trials last week, a collaborative effort between the company's Shipbuilding sector and the U.S. Navy.
- Full Speed Ahead: Raytheon Delivers 100th AESA Radar for Super Hornets, Growlers Raytheon 01 Jul 2008 -- Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) has delivered its 100th APG-79 active electronically scanned array radar system to Boeing and the U.S. Navy for use on F/A-18 and EA-18G aircraft.
- Boeing GPS IIF Satellite Completes Environmental Tests Boeing 01 Jul 2008 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] has completed environmental tests of the first of 12 Global Positioning System (GPS) IIF satellites, which confirm the mechanical integrity of the spacecraft.
- BAE SYSTEMS TO LAUNCH COMMUNICATIONS CENTER AT LIBERTY STATION BAE Systems 01 Jul 2008 -- BAE Systems is establishing a maritime development center for command, control, communications, computers, and intelligence (C4I) systems at its Liberty Station complex in Point Loma, California.
- CACI Rejects Copycat Lawsuits and False Allegations CACI 01 Jul 2008 -- CACI International Inc (NYSE:CAI), announced today that it is responding vigorously to the malicious and unfounded lawsuits filed by the Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR).
- Successful 2nd qualification firing and worldwide first for infrared terminal guidance AASM Sagem (Safran group) 01 Jul 2008 -- On June 12, the French defense procurement agency, the DGA, successfully carried out the second qualification firing for the infrared terminal guidance version of the modular air-to-ground AASM weapon at the DGA’s missile test center in Biscarrosse.
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 01 Jul 2008
- New UN Peacekeeping Chief Faces Growing Challenges VOA 01 Jul 2008 -- U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has appointed seasoned French diplomat Alain Le Roy to head the organizations' peacekeeping operations
- Presence of armed groups threatens southern Lebanon's stability - UN UN News Centre 01 Jul 2008 -- Southern Lebanon has witnessed the longest period of relative stability in many years as the cessation of hostilities between Israel and Hizbollah following their 2006 war continues to hold, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has stated, while voicing concern about the presence of armed groups and record levels of Israeli overflights in the area.
- Israel's Olmert Warns of Military Response to Gaza Attacks VOA 01 Jul 2008 -- Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert has warned Palestinian militants that Israel will respond with force if attacks from the Gaza Strip persist in violation of a recent truce.
- Israel closes Gaza border after mortar attacks RIA Novosti 01 Jul 2008 -- Israel has reclosed Gaza border crossings in response to a Palestinian mortar attack in southern Israel, a spokesman for the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) said on Tuesday.
- Abkhazia partially closes border with Georgia RIA Novosti 01 Jul 2008 -- The breakaway republic of Abkhazia closed a bridge Tuesday across the Inguri River on its administrative border with Georgia.
- Somali Opposition Factions to Hold Talks in Yemen VOA 01 Jul 2008 -- Somalia's opposition factions are expected to soon hold face-to-face talks in Yemen.
- US: Negotiated Solution the Only Way Forward in Zimbabwe VOA 01 Jul 2008 -- The United States says a political solution negotiated by the main parties in Zimbabwe is the only way forward for that country, after its disputed presidential runoff election
- Military Intervention Not Likely in Zimbabwe VOA 01 Jul 2008 -- Analysts say the political crisis in Zimbabwe is not likely to go away any time soon
- Zimbabwe Opposition Says Election Killed Unity Government Option VOA 01 Jul 2008 -- A top leader of Zimbabwe's opposition says the option of forming a unity government in Zimbabwe ended when President Robert Mugabe went ahead with his one-man election Friday.
- ZIMBABWE: Back to the past for a peaceful future IRIN 01 Jul 2008 -- An echo of Zimbabwe's past is increasingly being viewed as the only peaceful solution left to save the country from itself.
- AU Summit Communiqué to Deal Gently with Zimbabwe's Mugabe VOA 01 Jul 2008 -- Africa's leaders are struggling to find a common response to Zimbabwe's political turmoil, as they wrap up a two-day summit in Egypt
- Mugabe Spokesman to Western Critics: Go Hang VOA 01 Jul 2008 -- A spokesman for Zimbabwe's Robert Mugabe has rejected criticism of the country's presidential election, saying those who call the vote illegitimate can 'go hang'.
- Bush Removes Nelson Mandela from Terror Watch List VOA 01 Jul 2008 -- U.S. President George Bush Tuesday signed a bill that allows Nelson Mandela to enter the United States without special clearance.
- PRESS CONFERENCE BY PERMANENT REPRESENTATIVE OF FRANCE TO UNITED NATIONS ON FRANCE’S FORTHCOMING PRESIDENCY OF EUROPEAN UNION IN JULY United Nations 01 Jul 2008
- EU Constitutional Crisis Overshadows French Agenda RFE/RL 01 Jul 2008 -- France, a leading advocate of a politically united EU, has assumed the bloc's rotating presidency at an awkward juncture that will force Paris to subjugate its ambitious plans for an EU "immigration pact" and other national priorities to the overarching need for a common EU vision.
- Turkmenistan's Remote Desert 'Gulag' RFE/RL 01 Jul 2008 -- Gurbandurdy Durdykuliev, a Turkmen political dissident, spent 26 months in the Boinuzin psychiatric clinic -- the Turkmen Gulag -- before his release in 2006
- Chinese Officials Meet With Dalai Lama Envoys VOA 01 Jul 2008 -- China has confirmed its officials are meeting with representatives of the Dalai Lama for talks on Tibet
- Russia, Ukraine Discuss Contentious Energy, Security Issues VOA 01 Jul 2008 -- Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin met with his Ukrainian counterpart Yulia Tymoshenko in Moscow on Saturday to discuss controversial economic and military issues that have raised tensions between their two countries
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|