06 August 2006 Military News
- DoD Identifies Army Casualties
- Mosul Police Defeat Attack; Iraqis Demonstrate for Lebanon AFPS 06 Aug 2006 -- Mosul police officers and Iraqi soldiers defeated a complex terrorist attack in eastern Mosul, Iraq, Aug. 4, U.S. military officials in Iraq reported.
- Coalition Forces Conduct Raids, Seize Weapons, Detain Terrorists AFPS 06 Aug 2006 -- Coalition forces conducted raids today and yesterday in two areas of Iraq, seized a large weapons cache and captured four terrorists Aug. 4, and detained three terrorists Aug. 3, U.S. military officials in Iraq reported.
- Alaska Stryker Brigade Transfers Authority AFPS 06 Aug 2006 -- The 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team handed over operations in Mosul, Iraq, and other surrounding areas in the Ninewa province to the 3rd SBCT, 2nd Infantry Division, in a transfer-of-authority ceremony at Forward Operating Base Marez today.
- US Reinforcements Begin Patrols in Baghdad VOA 06 Aug 2006 -- U.S. troop reinforcements began patrolling the streets of Baghdad Sunday as part of a major effort to reduce deadly sectarian violence in the Iraqi capital.
- One British Soldier, 17 Taleban Killed in Southern Afghanistan VOA 06 Aug 2006 -- The British Defense Ministry says a British soldier serving with the NATO force in Afghanistan has been shot dead in southern Helmand province.
- NATO Force Committed in Southern Afghanistan AFPS 06 Aug 2006 -- The NATO force in southern Afghanistan has met resistance from the Taliban and other criminal elements, but the force remains committed to establishing a safe and secure environment in the region, NATO's supreme allied commander Europe said Aug. 4.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Bonhomme Richard Returns Home from RIMPAC Navy NewsStand 06 Aug 2006 -- Sailors and Marines assigned to USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6) (BHR) returned to their homeport of San Diego Aug. 7 nearly two months after getting underway for the Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) 2006 exercise.
- Press Briefing by National Security Advisor Steve Hadley The White House 06 Aug 2006
- Press Briefing by Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice The White House 06 Aug 2006
- U.S. sanctions related to competition - official RIA Novosti 06 Aug 2006 -- U.S. sanctions against two Russian state-owned defense companies are related to competition, a deputy general director of the Federal Service for Military and Technical Cooperation said Sunday.
- Bush Meets Rice on Proposed UN Mideast Resolution VOA 06 Aug 2006 -- President Bush is consulting with top aides at his Texas ranch on steps to halt the fighting in the Middle East.
- 11 Israeli Soldiers, 15 Lebanese Civilians Killed in Latest Attacks VOA 06 Aug 2006 -- Israeli air strikes, Hezbollah missile attacks and heavy ground combat continued Sunday in Lebanon and Israel as members of the U.N. Security Council continued consideration of a draft resolution to bring about a cease-fire in the conflict
- Airstrikes, Fighting Continue in Lebanon, as Security Council Seeks to Stop Major Attacks VOA 06 Aug 2006 -- Israeli aircraft continued strikes across south Lebanon early Sunday and ground battles raged between Israeli and Hezbollah forces inside the Lebanese border.
- UN Security Council to Reconvene on Mideast, Beirut Unhappy With Draft Resolution VOA 06 Aug 2006 -- U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice says she hopes to see a vote in coming days on a U.N. draft resolution aimed at ending fighting between Israel and Hezbollah militants.
- Egypt Condemns Israel's Arrest of Palestinian Parliament Speaker VOA 06 Aug 2006 -- The Israeli army has arrested the speaker of the Palestinian parliament.
- Lebanon: 3 UN troops lightly wounded when mortar from Hizbollah side hits their area UN News Centre 06 Aug 2006 -- Three members of the Chinese contingent serving with the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) were lightly wounded today when a mortar round from the Hizbollah side impacted inside their headquarters, according to the Force's preliminary reports.
- Rice Urges Quick Action On Mideast Resolution RFE/RL 06 Aug 2006 -- U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said today that a draft UN resolution on the Israel-Lebanon conflict should quickly end large-scale violence.
- Lebanon Rejects UN Draft Text As Violence Rages On RFE/RL 06 Aug 2006 -- As Israeli warplanes continue their assault on south Lebanon and ground fighting between Israel and Hizballah also continues, Beirut has rejected as inadequate an agreement between France and the United States on a UN Security Council draft resolution to end the fighting.
- LEBANON: Agriculture in peril as war drags on IRIN 06 Aug 2006 -- Lebanese agricultural production, badly affected by the hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah, faces a crisis if the conflict does not end soon, according to government officials.
- Hezbollah exercising civil defense to thwart Israeli aggression on Lebanon IRNA 06 Aug 2006 -- Secretary of Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) Ali Larijani said on Sunday that Hezbollah is exercising civil defense to thwart Israeli aggression on Lebanon.
- UNSC draft resolution on Lebanon not enough to establish peace in Middle East IRNA 06 Aug 2006 -- Secretary of Supreme National Security Council Ali Larijani said on Sunday that the draft resolution drawn up by France and the United States is not enough to establish a lasting peace between Israel and Lebanon.
- Asefi calls for "fair" UN resolution on Lebanon IRNA 06 Aug 2006 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Hamid-Reza Asefi said here Sunday that any resolution passed by the United Nations Security Council on Lebanon should be fair, not one-sided and take into consideration the roots of Lebanese crisis.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|