01 October 2005 Military News
- Task Force Baghdad Soldier killed by IED
- Task Force Liberty Soldier killed by mine
- Operation Iron Fist begins MNF-I 01 Oct 2005 -- A force of approximately 1,000 Marines, Soldiers and Sailors from Regimental Combat Team-2 launched an operation against a known terrorist sanctuary in the western al Anbar province town of Sadah, in the al Qaim region approximately 12 km. from the Syrian border.
- U.S. Soldiers nab 18 terror suspects MNF-I 01 Oct 2005 -- Task Force Baghdad Soldiers continued clearing roadside bombs and detaining terrorists in operations around the Baghdad area Sept. 29 and 30.
- U.S. Offensive Launched In Western Iraq RFE/RL 01 Oct 2005 -- Hundreds of U.S. soldiers have launched an offensive near the Iraqi-Syrian border aimed at rooting out Al-Qaeda insurgents and disrupting their support systems in the area.
- Death Toll 10 In Latest Iraq Bomb Attack RFE/RL 01 Oct 2005 -- Insurgency-fueled violence continued in Iraq yesterday, with at least 10 people killed by a car bomb, one day after coordinated car bomb attacks killed nearly 100 people.
- US, Iraqi Forces Launch New Offensive in Western Iraq VOA 01 Oct 2005 -- The U.S. military has launched a new operation in western Iraq to root out foreign fighters and insurgents who cross the border from Syria.
- First Danish soldier killed in Iraq IRNA 01 Oct 2005 -- The Danish military reported its first fatality in Iraq when a roadside bomb exploded in the southern Iraqi city of Basra, killing one soldier and injuring two others, DPA cited the Danish army command center as saying in Copenhagen.
- Task Force Liberty captures attacker after IED blast MNF-I 01 Oct 2005 -- Task Force Liberty Soldiers captured a man responsible for an improvised explosive attack in Ad Duluiyah around 11:30 a.m. Oct. 1.
- Task Force Liberty supports Iraqi referendum rehearsal exercise MNF-I 01 Oct 2005 -- Officials in Salah Ad Din Province prepared for the Oct. 15 constitutional referendum with a large scale rehearsal Sept. 26 through Sept. 28.
- Operation Iron Fist Update MNF-I 01 Oct 2005 -- The first day of Operation Kabda Bil Hadid, or Iron Fist in English saw several successful engagements against al Qaeda in Iraq terrorists operating in and around Sadah, approximately 12 kilometers east of the Syrian border.
- Detainee dies at Abu Ghraib MNF-I 01 Oct 2005 -- A 60-year-old male security detainee died this morning at Forward Operating Base Abu Ghraib.
- U.K. To Deploy Troops To Afghan South RFE/RL 01 Oct 2005 -- British Defense Secretary John Reid has said his country plans to deploy troops to volatile southern Afghanistan after it takes over command of the NATO security force in the country next year.
- Afghanistan: Are Suicide Attacks Likely To Increase? RFE/RL 01 Oct 2005 -- In the worst incident of violence since Afghanistan's 18 September elections, a suicide bomber dressed in a military uniform rammed his motorcycle on 27 September into a bus carrying recruits for the nascent Afghan National Army (ANA) in Kabul
- Afghan Reconciliation Program Grows AFPS 01 Oct 2005 -- The government of Afghanistan has announced a dramatic increase in its reconciliation program applicants in the wake of successful parliamentary elections, Combined Forces Command Afghanistan officials reported today.
- Pakistani helicopters pound militants' hideouts: report IRNA 01 Oct 2005 -- Pakistani military and paramilitary troops continued their operation for a third day Friday in the country's tribal region with military helicopters bombing militants' hideouts, reports and correspondents in the area said.
- Pakistan asks militants to lay down arms as operation continues in tribal region IRNA 01 Oct 2005 -- Pakistan military and paramilitary troops continued their operation in the country's tribal region for a third day on Saturday with Pakistan Interior Minister Aftab Ahmed Khan Sherpao asking the militants to lay down their arms and surrender to the authorities.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Detainee Transfer Announced 01 Oct 2005 -- The Department of Defense announced today that it released one detainee from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba to Egypt.
- Hamas Fares Poorly in Palestinian Local Elections VOA 01 Oct 2005 -- The Islamic militant group Hamas fared poorer than expected in Palestinian local elections in the West Bank.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|