07 August 2005 Military News
- Two Task Force Liberty Soldiers killed, three wounded by IED
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- Marine killed by suicide attack
- Car Bomb Kills Marine; U.S., Iraqi Soldiers Capture Terrorists, Munitions AFPS 07 Aug 2005 -- A suicide car bomber killed a U.S. Marine assigned to Regimental Combat Team 8, 2nd Marine Division, 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward), Aug. 6 near Amiriyah, Iraq.
- Two U.S. Soldiers Killed; Coalition Forces Detain Dozens in Northern Iraq AFPS 07 Aug 2005 -- Two Task Force Liberty soldiers were killed and three wounded when an improvised explosive device detonated near a vehicle patrol near Samarra, Iraq, at about 6:00 p.m. Aug. 6, officials said.
- Afghan, Coalition Forces Stymie Terrorist Attacks in Afghanistan AFPS 07 Aug 2005 -- Afghan and coalition forces stopped several terrorist attacks on Aug. 5 and 6 when they destroyed three improvised explosive devices in southern and eastern Afghanistan, U.S. military officials said today.
- Violence Continues Across Afghanistan RFE/RL 07 Aug 2005 -- The past 24 hours have seen a number of violent incidents across Afghanistan
Defense Policy / Programs
- Israeli Cabinet Approves First Stage of Gaza Pullout as Netanyahu Resigns VOA 07 Aug 2005 -- Israeli Cabinet has approved the first stage of the upcoming pullout from the Gaza Strip
- Divided Ivory Coast Celebrates Independence VOA 07 Aug 2005 -- Dual ceremonies took place Sunday in the government-controlled south of Ivory Coast and the rebel-held north to mark the 45th anniversary of independence from colonial power France.
- US Envoys Optimistic About Sudan Peace Process VOA 07 Aug 2005 -- U.S envoys to Sudan, Constance Newman and Roger Winter say they expect Sudan's Comprehensive Peace Agreement to hold, despite the death of Vice President and former rebel leader John Garang.
- Palestinians Say Gaza Withdrawal a Challenge and Opportunity VOA 07 Aug 2005 -- Palestinian officials say many details must be worked out in the coming days if Israel's disengagement from the Gaza Strip is to advance the cause of peace
- Nine Russian Soldiers Reported Killed In Chechnya RFE/RL 07 Aug 2005 -- Chechnya's pro-Kremlin administration said today that nine Russian soldiers were killed and nine more wounded in weekend clashes with Chechen separatist rebels
- EGYPT: Local NGOs receive funding to monitor elections IRIN 07 Aug 2005 -- A coalition of Egyptian NGOs has received funding from the US Agency for International Development (USAID) to monitor the country’s presidential election in September and legislative elections to follow in November.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|