The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW


American Forces Press Service

Car Bomb Kills Marine; U.S., Iraqi Soldiers Capture Terrorists, Munitions

American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Aug. 7, 2005 A suicide car bomber killed a U.S. Marine assigned to Regimental Combat Team 8, 2nd Marine Division, 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward), Aug. 6 near Amiriyah, Iraq.

The Marine's name is being withheld until next of kin have been notified.

Elsewhere in Iraq, with help from ordinary Iraqi citizens, Task Force Baghdad soldiers successfully pursued and captured terrorists and terrorist munitions in a series of recent patrols and operations, officials said today.

A terrorist reportedly failed to cause significant U.S. casualties or damage in a car-bomb attack in eastern Baghdad Aug. 6. Two U.S. soldiers and one Iraqi civilian sustained minor wounds from the incident, officials said.

The vehicle, described by soldiers on the scene as a Volkswagen van, approached a halted convoy from 1st Battalion, 9th Field Artillery, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, around 9:30 a.m., according to officials.

Soldiers with the 1-9 FA were investigating a tip from a local Iraqi about a terrorist in the area responsible for a July 13 vehicle-bomb attack at the same location. That attack killed one U.S. Soldier and 24 Iraqi children. While the soldiers were moving in to detain the suspected terrorist, the bomb reportedly detonated.

"(I was) 15 to 20 feet from the explosion," U.S. Army Sgt. Eric Hollis, a member of F Company, 26th Forward Support Battalion, attached to 1-9 FA, said. "We were standing right there -- nothing hit us!"

At the time of the explosion, soldiers from 1st Battalion, 64th Armor, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, in a nearby observation tower noticed two suspected terrorists in a vehicle watching the attack. Soldiers from 1-64 Armor dispatched a quick-reaction force, which detained the men, officials said.

Soldiers discovered a 155 mm artillery round near the attack site. An explosive ordnance disposal team was called in to perform a controlled detonation.

Task Force Baghdad soldiers said the attack failed to deter them from their original mission and that soon after the attack, they found and detained the terrorist for whom they were looking.

(Compiled from Multinational Force Iraq and Task Force Baghdad news releases.

Join the mailing list