Two U.S. Soldiers Killed; Coalition Forces Detain Dozens in Northern Iraq
American Forces Press Service
The soldiers were evacuated to a coalition forces medical facility, where two soldiers died. The names of the soldiers are being withheld pending notification of next of kin.
In other news from northern Iraq, Iraqi and multinational security forces from Task Force Freedom detained 32 suspected terrorists, killed one terrorist, injured another three, and seized a weapons cache over the weekend, U.S. military officials said.
- A joint force of Iraqi Police and U.S. soldiers from the 1st Battalion, 24th Infantry Regiment, killed one terrorist during a raid in western Mosul today. The raid also resulted in the capture of seven terrorist suspects, who are now in custody, officials said. Coalition forces reportedly sustained no injuries.
- Iraqi Police detained seven terrorist suspects during separate operations in Mosul on today and Aug. 6.
- Iraqi army soldiers from the 1st Battalion, 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, seized eight terrorist suspects following an attack on their checkpoint in northern Mosul Aug. 6.
- Iraqi army soldiers from the 3rd Battalion, 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, apprehended two terrorist suspects during a cordon-and-search operation in Rawah on Aug. 6.
- Iraqi Intervention Force troops from the 3rd Battalion, 1st Brigade, 1st Division, detained two terrorist suspects during a raid in Rawah on Aug. 6. The terrorist suspects are in custody, and Iraqi security forces sustained no injuries, officials said.
- Three terrorist suspects were injured in an engagement with U.S. soldiers with the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment in Tal Afar on Aug. 6. The terrorist suspects had attacked Iraqi army soldiers via a drive-by shooting. The terrorist suspects are being treated for their injuries and then will be detained, officials said.
- U.S. soldiers with the 2nd Squadron, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, captured another two terrorist suspects who had attacked civilians,in Tal Afar on Aug. 6, officials said.
- Soldiers from the 1st Battalion, 5th Infantry Regiment apprehended one terrorist suspecte during a raid in eastern Mosul on Aug. 6.
- Soldiers from the 2nd Squadron, 14th Cavalry Regiment, captured three terrorist suspects and a weapons cache over the weekend. The seizures occurred during two separate operations in Rawah. The cache included a number of mortar rounds and a mortar-firing system. The weapons were confiscated for future destruction.
Iraqi and multinational security forces with the 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division (Stryker Brigade Combat Team), detained 34 suspected terrorists and seized a weapons cache during operations in northern Iraq on Aug. 5, U.S. military officials said today.
Twenty-five of the terrorist suspects were apprehended during cordon-and-search operations south of Oayyarah. Iraqi army soldiers from the 1st Battalion, 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, and U.S. troops from the 2nd Battalion, 8th Field Artillery Regiment, spearheaded these operations.
Soldiers from the 1st Battalion, 24th Infantry Regiment, apprehended another five suspected terrorists on Friday. The 24th seized the terrorist suspects during three separate operations in western Mosul, officials said.
The remaining four terrorist suspects were detained by soldiers from the 2nd Squadron, 14th Cavalry Regiment, at a checkpoint in Rawah.
Also on Aug. 5, U.S. soldiers from the 1st Battalion, 5th Infantry Regiment, seized a weapons cache during a search operation in eastern Mosul, officials said. The cache reportedly included several artillery rounds, which were confiscated for future destruction.
Officials reported that no coalition forces were injured in these operations.
(Compiled from Multinational Force Iraq and Task Force Liberty news releases.)
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|