23 January 2005 Military News
- U.S. forces Detain 59 Suspects in Al Anbar Province MNF-I/MNC-I 23 Jan 2005 -- Marines and Soldiers from the 1st Marine Division of the I Marine Expeditionary Force detained 59 suspected insurgents and seized several weapons caches during operations throughout Al Anbar Province over the past 48 hours.
- 1st ID Soldiers Detain Two, Wound One MNF-I/MNC-I 23 Jan 2005 -- First Infantry Division Soldiers detained two people after finding a mortar round in their vehicle about 10 p.m. on Jan. 22 near Tikrit.
- Forty-two suspected Insurgents Detained in Mosul Area MNF-I/MNC-I 23 Jan 2005 -- Multi-National Forces from 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division (Stryker Brigade Combat Team), detained forty-two people during operations in northern Iraq on Jan. 22.
- Multi-National Forces Detain Sixteen MNF-I/MNC-I 23 Jan 2005 -- Multi-National Forces from 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division (Stryker Brigade Combat Team) detained sixteen individuals during operations in northern Iraq.
- 'Annihilators' uncover more weapons in North Babil MNF-I/MNC-I 23 Jan 2005 -- Soldiers of 1st Platoon, Company A 'Annihilators', 1st Battalion, 5th Cavalry Regiment attached to Task Force 2nd Battalion, 12th Cavalry Regiment, unearth a 55-gallon drum filled with rocket-propelled grenades, hand grenades, artillery rounds and an assortment of other munitions found during a cordon and search operation near Latifiyah, in the north Babil region of Iraq on Jan. 21.
- Iraqi Security Forces Find Weapons in Fallujah MNF-I/MNC-I 23 Jan 2005 -- Iraqi soldiers from three battalions of the 7th Brigade, working with the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force near Fallujah completed stability operation patrols and found weapons, mortar rounds and machine guns Jan. 21.
- Iraqi police capture a top-ten Suspect MNF-I/MNC-I 23 Jan 2005 -- While conducting patrols in the western Baghdad neighborhood of Hateen, Iraqi police detained a top insurgent suspect at 7:30 p.m. on Jan. 22.
- 202nd Iraqi Army Battalion cConducts Successful Mission MNF-I/MNC-I 23 Jan 2005 -- During a joint operation, the 202nd Iraqi Army Battalion conducted a precision raid just north of the Samarra northern bypass on Jan. 18 resulting in the apprehension of 25 detainees.
- 3/4 returns to Iraq for third time USMC News 23 Jan 2005 -- The first Marine battalion into Baghdad during Operation Iraqi Freedom, who tore down the statue of Saddam and spearheaded Operation Vigilant Resolve in Fallujah, has landed once again in familiar territory.
- BHR, 15th MEU Provide 'Precision Assistance' in Sumatra Navy NewsStand 23 Jan 2005 -- The multipurpose amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard (BHR) (LHD 6) and the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) are delivering "precision assistance" to tsunami survivors in Sumatra.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Statement From Pentagon Spokesman Lawrence DiRita on Intelligence Activities of the Defense Department 23 Jan 2005 -- There is no unit that is directly reportable to the Secretary of Defense for clandestine operations as is described in the Washington Post article of January 23, 2005, entitled "Secret Unit Expands Rumsfeld's Domain". Further, the Department is not attempting to "bend" statutes to fit desired activities, as is suggested in this article.
- ISRAEL /PALESTINIANS VOA 23 Jan 2005 -- Palestinian militants are reportedly nearing an agreement with newly elected Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas to halt attacks against Israel. Militant leaders are disputing an Israeli claim that a deal has already been made, but officials on both sides express a willingness to respect a ceasefire if and when one is established.
- ACEH / FOUR WEEKS VOA 23 Jan 2005 -- The Indonesian military is issuing conflicting statements about a truce in the tsunami-ravaged separatist province of Aceh, although the government says it is ready for peace talks. Meanwhile, four weeks after the disaster, officials and relief agencies say the emergency phase of the relief effort in Aceh is winding down.
- INDIA/TSUNAMI AID VOA 23 Jan 2005 -- India's cabinet has set out a reconstruction package for areas on its coast hit by the tsunami.
- Powell-Ukraine VOA 23 Jan 2005 -- Secretary of State Colin Powell is in Kiev as head of the U.S. delegation to the inauguration of Ukrainian President-elect Viktor Yushchenko. Mr. Powell says the United States will do all it can to help the new government.
- UKRAINE INAUGURAL VOA 23 Jan 2005 -- Viktor Yushchenko has been sworn in as Ukraine's third president since independence. In his inaugural address, Mr. Yushchenko pledged to usher in Western-oriented political and economic reforms and lead the country to a prosperous, democratic future.
- POWELL/YUSHCHENKO VOA 23 Jan 2005 -- Secretary of State Colin Powell told Ukraine's new President Viktor Yushchenko Sunday he can count on U.S. support as he steers that country toward closer ties with the Euro-Atlantic community. Mr. Powell attended Mr. Yushchenko's inauguration in his last overseas mission as Secretary.
- Ukraine's New President Takes Oath Of Office RFE/RL 23 Jan 2005 -- Viktor Yushchenko was sworn in as the new president of Ukraine today in Kyiv.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|