Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
23 January 2005 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- U.S. forces Detain 59 Suspects in Al Anbar Province MNF-I/MNC-I 23 Jan 2005 -- Marines and Soldiers from the 1st Marine Division of the I Marine Expeditionary Force detained 59 suspected insurgents and seized several weapons caches during operations throughout Al Anbar Province over the past 48 hours.
- 1st ID Soldiers Detain Two, Wound One MNF-I/MNC-I 23 Jan 2005 -- First Infantry Division Soldiers detained two people after finding a mortar round in their vehicle about 10 p.m. on Jan. 22 near Tikrit.
- Forty-two suspected Insurgents Detained in Mosul Area MNF-I/MNC-I 23 Jan 2005 -- Multi-National Forces from 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division (Stryker Brigade Combat Team), detained forty-two people during operations in northern Iraq on Jan. 22.
- Multi-National Forces Detain Sixteen MNF-I/MNC-I 23 Jan 2005 -- Multi-National Forces from 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division (Stryker Brigade Combat Team) detained sixteen individuals during operations in northern Iraq.
- 'Annihilators' uncover more weapons in North Babil MNF-I/MNC-I 23 Jan 2005 -- Soldiers of 1st Platoon, Company A 'Annihilators', 1st Battalion, 5th Cavalry Regiment attached to Task Force 2nd Battalion, 12th Cavalry Regiment, unearth a 55-gallon drum filled with rocket-propelled grenades, hand grenades, artillery rounds and an assortment of other munitions found during a cordon and search operation near Latifiyah, in the north Babil region of Iraq on Jan. 21.
- Iraqi Security Forces Find Weapons in Fallujah MNF-I/MNC-I 23 Jan 2005 -- Iraqi soldiers from three battalions of the 7th Brigade, working with the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force near Fallujah completed stability operation patrols and found weapons, mortar rounds and machine guns Jan. 21.
- Iraqi police capture a top-ten Suspect MNF-I/MNC-I 23 Jan 2005 -- While conducting patrols in the western Baghdad neighborhood of Hateen, Iraqi police detained a top insurgent suspect at 7:30 p.m. on Jan. 22.
- 202nd Iraqi Army Battalion cConducts Successful Mission MNF-I/MNC-I 23 Jan 2005 -- During a joint operation, the 202nd Iraqi Army Battalion conducted a precision raid just north of the Samarra northern bypass on Jan. 18 resulting in the apprehension of 25 detainees.
- 3/4 returns to Iraq for third time USMC News 23 Jan 2005 -- The first Marine battalion into Baghdad during Operation Iraqi Freedom, who tore down the statue of Saddam and spearheaded Operation Vigilant Resolve in Fallujah, has landed once again in familiar territory.
- Iraqi Election: Monumental Moment for Country AFPS 23 Jan 2005 -- The Iraqi election Jan. 30 will mark the beginning of a "powerful period" in the history of the country, the commander of the Multinational Corps Iraq said recently.
- Negroponte: No Effort Spared to Protect Iraq Voters AFPS 23 Jan 2005 -- Northern and southern Iraq should have good voter turnout in the Jan. 30 election for a national assembly, said U.S. Ambassador to Iraq John Negroponte. The center of the country is "problematic."
- Amb. Negroponte Says Elections Show Iraq's Progress to Democracy Washington File 23 Jan 2005 -- The significance of the national elections scheduled for January 30 in Iraq is the fact that elections are taking place for the first time in years, that they will be free and fair, and that they are part "of a steady progression" toward democracy in the nation, says U.S. Ambassador to Iraq John D. Negroponte.
- U.S IRAQ VOA 23 Jan 2005 -- The U.S. Ambassador to Iraq predicts a strong turnout amid tight security for next Sunday's Iraqi election. John Negroponte says an elaborate security plan is in place.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list