04 October 2003 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- ONE 4TH ID SOLDIER KILLED, ONE WOUNDED IN ATTACK VOA 04 Oct 2003-- One 4th Infantry Division soldier was killed and another was wounded in a rocket-propelled grenade and small arms fire attack in As Sadiyah, northeast of Baghdad, at approximately 11:45 p.m. on Oct. 3.
- More .Pak troops deployed on Afghan border - press IRNA 04 Oct 2003 -- Pakistan has deployed more troops close to the border with Afghanistan in a bid to check elements of Al-Qaeda and Taliban.
- Detained al-Qaeda suspects `Uzbeks, Chechens, Afghans`: Pakistan IRNA 04 Oct 2003 -- Pakistan`s intelligence agencies` preliminary investigation has revealed that `Uzbeks, Chechens and Afghans` are among al-Qaeda suspects held during the army operation in South Waziristan Agency on Thursday, according to press reports.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Pakistan .to get 60 US copters by December IRNA 04 Oct 2003 -- The United States would sell 60 attack helicopters to Pakistan by December, local media reported Saturday. According to the daily Dawn, the Bush administration had given approval to sale of the helicopters to Islamabad.
- U.S. Condemns Terrorist Bombing in Haifa Washington File 04 Oct 2003-- President Bush condemned the "vicious act of terrorism committed today in Haifa, Israel" in a statement released by the White House on October 4.
- ISRAEL / PALESTINIANS VOA 04 Oct 2003-- An Israeli army officer has been arrested and charged with manslaughter in connection with a shooting incident in the West Bank town of Jericho which left four Palestinians dead, including three children
- ISRAEL/EXPLOSION VOA 04 Oct 2003-- A suicide bomber has killed at least 19 people at a restaurant in the Israeli coastal city of Haifa
- IVORY COAST/REBELS VOA 04 Oct 2003-- Tens-of-thousands of demonstrators have rallied in rebel-held northern Ivory Coast to demand the resignation of President Laurent Gbagbo, accusing him of sabotaging a power-sharing peace deal
- CHECHNYA/VOTE VOA 04 Oct 2003-- Moscow is portraying Sunday's presidential election in Chechnya as a major step toward stability in the war-torn republic
- U.S., Pakistan Strengthen Cooperation Against Terrorism, Drug Trafficking Washington File 04 Oct 2003-- The United States and Pakistan reaffirmed their bilateral cooperation in the war against terrorism and the fight to stop drug trafficking during Secretary of State Colin Powell's meeting with Prime Minister Mir Zaffarulah Khan Jamali in Washington, according to the State Department on October 3
- PHILIPPINES / ARROYO VOA 04 Oct 2003-- Philippine President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo ended months of speculation and uncertainty Saturday by announcing that she will run for president in next year's elections
- U-S / CUBA / EMBARGO VOA 04 Oct 2003-- A senior State Department official says President Bush will veto any attempt to ease travel restrictions for Americans who want to visit Cuba
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|