21 December 1999 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S. Air Force Accepts 57th Boeing C-17 Globemaster III Boeing 21 Dec 1999 -- The U.S. Air Force accepted its 57th Boeing C-17 Globemaster III cargo airplane in a brief ceremony here today. Maj. Gen. Bruce Carlson, director of Operational Requirements, Deputy Chief of Staff, Air and Space Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, flew the new airlifter to McChord Air Force Base, Wash., the C-17 fleet's newest home base.
- Lockheed Martin Receives $69 Million Contract for Army Tactical Missile System Lockheed Martin 21 Dec 1999 -- Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control - Dallas has received a $69.7 million contract for the Army Tactical Missile System (ATACMS) Block IA Missile. The contract, Full-Rate Production III (FRP-III), calls for the company to produce 110 ATACMS Block IA missiles. Delivery of the missiles is expected to be completed by December 2001.
- 21 December 1999 - DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY OFFICE OF SPOKESMAN FOR SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 21 Dec 1999
- A loud campaign of attacks on Russia has been started in Georgia STATEMENT BY RUSSIAN MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS 21 December 1999 -- By turning down proposals to jointly guard the Chechen section of the Georgian-Russian border Tbilisi actually opened a "window" through which the militants are supplied with weapons, munitions and money.
- SRI LANKA WAR IMPACT Voice of America 21 December 1999 -- Sri Lankans are voting this week in a presidential election marred by bitter accusations and violence. Bomb blasts Saturday, on the last night of campaigning, killed more than 30 people including a top opposition figure.
- SRI LANKA VOTE Voice of America 21 December 1999 -- Three out of four voters in Sri Lanka have cast their ballots in the country's fourth presidential election, amid tight security.
- ERITREA - YEMEN Voice of America 21 December 1999 -- Eritrea has welcomed the ruling handed down Monday by an arbitration tribunal in London on a dispute that led to a brief war between Eritrea and Yemen three years ago.
- CONGO REBELS Voice of America 21 December 1999 -- Three rival rebel factions in Congo-Kinshasa are wrapping talks in southern Uganda, trying to form a common front in their struggle against the government.
- RUSSIA / CHECHNYA Voice of America 21 December 1999 -- Russian troops are battling Chechen fighters along the foothills of the republic's southern mountains and on the edges of the capital, Grozny.
- YEARENDER: CENTRAL ASIA SECURITY Voice of America 21 December 1999 -- The former Soviet Central Asian states are adopting new security strategies to deal with rising threats to stability in the region.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|