III Corps Artillery
Consistent with the US Army transformation initiatives and the modular force structure, Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, III Corps Artillery was inactivated on 8 September 2006.
The mission of III Corps Artillery combined combat readiness and the ability to deploy to all parts of the world with support to the Field Artillery School and Fort Sill. The mission of the III Corps Artillery was to: Be prepared to deploy to any theater of operations and provide fire support for III Corps combat operations; be prepared to provide field artillery brigades to other headquarters; and to sustain combat operations.
Originally approved on 12 February 1943 for the 14th Field Artillery Brigade, III Corps Artillery's insignia was redesignated and amended to change the symbolism on 6 January 1971. It consisted of a representation in scarlet of the bell tower of a California Mission, with 3 scarlet bells in gold arched openings, all above a gold scroll with the motto "STRIKE FOR FREEDOM" in scarlet letters. The color scarlet was for Artillery. The bell tower of a California Mission referred to the unit's activation during World War II at Camp Haan, near the old Mission Trail. The 3 bells indicate the numerical designation of the Corps.
The III Corps Artillery, "Phantom Thunder," at Fort Sill, Oklahoma was the Army's largest and most powerful concentration of artillery. prior to its inactivation in 2006. By that time III Corps Artillery consisted of 4 Field Artillery Brigades, consisting of 9 MLRS Battalions, 3 Paladin Battalions, a Combat Support Battalion, as well as a Maintenance Battalion.
Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, III Corps Artillery was first activated on 5 July 1918 at Camp Custer, Mississippi, as Headquarters, 14th Field Artillery Brigade. The Brigade was demobilized on 18 February 1919. On 24 March 1923, Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 14th Field Artillery Brigade was reconstituted in the inactive list of the Regular Army.
World War II saw the activation of the Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 14th Field Artillery Brigade on 23 March 1942 at Camp Haan, California, and its redesignation as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, III Corps Artillery on 10 August 1943. III Corps Artillery landed in France on 25 September 1944 and participated in Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe Campaigns. In July 1945, III Corps Artillery returned from Europe and was inactivated at Camp Polk, Louisiana.
Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, III Corps Artillery was again activated at Fort Hood, Texas and in August 1962 was transferred to Fort Sill, Oklahoma. In October 1978, Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, III Corps Artillery was inactivated and the artillerymen of the battery became members of the Field Artillery Section of III Corps Headquarters with duty at Fort Sill. The unit was also designated as Headquarters, III Corps Artillery (Provisional) commanded by a Brigadier General.
Headquarters and Headquarters Battery (Provisional) was reactivated on 16 January 1984. On 18 March 1987, Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, III Corps Artillery was formally activated at Fort Sill, Oklahoma.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|