75th Fires Brigade
75th Field Artillery Brigade
"Tough as Diamonds"
The mission of the 75th Fires Brigade, "Tough as Diamonds," is to train and prepare for combat. It would, on order, deploys to any area of operations to plan, synchronize and execute combined, and joint fires and effects. It would also integrate attached ground and air maneuver forces and on order function as a maneuver headquarters in support of full spectrum operations.
Prior to the modular reorganization, the mission of the 75th Field Artillery Brigade had been to deploy anywhere in the world at anytime to provide timely, accurate and safe fires in support of US national interests.
The Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 75th Fires Brigade was first constituted on 21 July 1921 in the Organized Reserves as the 509th Coast Artillery (Antiaircraft) and organized with Headquarters at Seattle, Washington. The unit was inactivated on 1 October 1933 at Seattle, Washington. It was concurrently withdrawn from the Organized Reserves and allotted to the Regular Army.
The unit was redesignated on 1 July 1940 as the 75th Coast Artillery and activated at Fort Lewis, Washington. Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 75th Coast Artillery was reorganized and redesignated 20 February 1944 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 75th Antiaircraft Artillery Group. The remainder of regiment thereafter had separate lineages.
The Group was awarded 2 campaign streamers for its service in World War II, one for the Asiatic-Pacific Theater, and another without inscription. Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 75th Antiaircraft Artillery Group was inactivated on 12 December 1944 at Camp Howze, Texas.
While inactive, the unit was redesignated on 10 January 1967 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 75th Artillery Group. It was activated on 1 February 1967 at Fort Irwin, California. The unit was redesignated on 15 March 1972 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 75th Field Artillery Group. It subsequently became an element of III Corps Artillery. The unit was redesignated on 16 March 1981 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 75th Field Artillery Brigade.
The 75th Field Artillery Brigade deployed to Saudi Arabia in September 1990. The Brigade was task organized under XVIII Airborne Corps Artillery in support of defensive operations during Operation Desert Shield. In January 1991, the Brigade was task organized under VII Corps Artillery in support of offensive operations as part of Operation Desert Storm. The 75th Field Artillery Brigade supported both VII Corps main efforts. The Brigade provided fires for 1st Infantry Division (Mechanized) during their breaching operation. It also provided fires supporting the 1st Armored Division and helped deliver the Knock Out Punch by destroying elements of the Republican Guard Force. The Brigade was credited with firing the first shot in anger for VII Corps, firing the first Army Tactical Missile (ATACMS), having the first National Guard unit to fire during Operation Desert Storm, and firing 278 missions with 7,123 rounds/rockets. Receiving no casualties, the 75th Field Artillery Brigade redeployed back to Fort Sill, Oklahoma in April 1991.
The 75th Field Artillery Brigade subsequently continued the mission of maintaining combat readiness in support of selected worldwide operations and providing support to the US Army Field Artillery Center and School at Fort Sill. To perform these missions, the Brigade was organized with one Paladin and 2 Multiple Launch Rocket System battalions, in addition to its Headquarters and Headquarters Battery. The motto of the Brigade was "Taut Lanyards."
During the year 2000, the 75th Field Artillery Brigade conducted battalion-level and below training, validating its ability to move, shoot, communicate and sustain combat operations. Also the Headquarters and Headquarters Battery provided reinforcing fires for the 1st Cavalry Division Warfighter Exercise.
In 2006, III Corps Artillery was inactivated. The 75th Field Artillery Brigade was reorganized and redesignated on 18 September 2006 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 75th Fires Brigade as part of the modular force structure. The basic structure of the Brigade remained unchanged with 2 MLRS battalions and a single battalion equipped with the M109A6 self-propelled howitzer, along with its Headquarters and Headquarters Battery. Also added to the Brigade were C Battery (Target Acquisition), 26th Field Artillery Regiment, the 100th Brigade Support Battalion, and the 258th Signal Company. As part of the restructuring division artilleries were inactivated, and modular fires brigades were created with the intent of supporting divisions. Though technically a US Forces Command asset, the 75th Fires Brigade was aligned with the 1st Infantry Division at Fort Riley, Kansas.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|