212th Field Artillery Brigade
"Courage and Command"
The 212th Field Artillery Brigade was organized as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 212th Artillery Group and was constituted on 3 February 1944. Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 212th Field Artillery Group was organized and activated on 20 April 1944 at Fort Riley, KS, and was assigned to XVI Corps. The group consisted of four truck driven 105mm howitzers and 81 enlisted men. In July 1944, the group was assigned to XXXVI Corps. The group headquarters prepared for duty in Europe while the battalions were reassigned to the United States in November 1944.
Assigned to and controlled by XXVI Corps during the remainder of WWII, the group participated in the Central European Campaign with the 9th Infantry Division in the general vicinity of Aachen in northern Germany. On 20 April 1946, the group was inactivated in Germany. The group was reconstituted on 17 September 1958 and allotted to the Regular Army. The same order activated the group on 15 October 1958 in Germany; the 212th FA Group was then further assigned to Seventh Army, and attached to V Corps.
In the fall of 1967, the group was designed to redeploy to CONUS under project REFORGER. On 9 April 1968, the group departed Germany for its new home at Fort Lewis, WA.
In August 1972, the group headquarters and three of its battalion (2-17th FA, 2-18th FA, & 3-18th FA) relocated to Fort Sill. In June 1973, 1-30th FA was reorganized and assigned to the group. In mid-1976, 2-18th FA deployed to Germany. On 1 October 1976, the 1-30th FA was returned to VII Corps, USAREUR. Later that month, 2-18th FA returned to the group.
On 16 July 1980, the 212th Field Artillery Group was redesignated the 212th Field Artillery Brigade. In September 1980, the 212th Field Artillery Brigade became the first TACFIRE-equipped brigade in the Army. In September 1990, the brigade deployed to Saudi Arabia, and participated in Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|