2nd Battalion, 5th Field Artillery Regiment
The mission of the 2nd Battalion, 5th Field Artillery, "Rock Hard," is to prepare for combat and, on order, deploy to a designated contingency area by air, land, and sea to provide fires in support of full spectrum operations.
The 2nd Battalion, 5th Field Artillery was first constituted in the Regular Army as a Light Artillery Regiment in January 1907, and was organized in May 1907 from existing units at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, and the Philippines. Battery D, 5th Field Artillery was descended from Captain Alexander Hamilton's New York Provincial Company of Artillery organized in 1776. The 5th Artillery was therefore recognized as the only surviving Regular Army Unit originating in the Revolutionary War. The Regiment also accrued 4 Civil War battle streamers from existing units at the time of its formation.
The unit was reorganized and redesignated as Battery B, 5th Field Artillery. It was assigned to the 1st Expeditionary Division in June 1917 and departed for France in July 1917. During World War I the unit fought long and hard, receiving credit for 7 campaigns and was twice decorated with the French Croix de Guerre with 2 palms.
After returning to the United States, the unit was inactivated at Camp Bragg, North Carolina, It was then reactivated at Madison Barracks, New York in December 1939. In October of 1940, the unit was reorganized and redesignated as the Battery B, 5th Field Artillery Battalion. It departed for England in August 1942 in support of the 1st Infantry Division. During World War II, the 5th Field Artillery Battalion as a whole saw action in 8 campaigns.
The unit was redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 2nd Howitzer Battalion, 5th Artillery on June 1958 and activated on 25 June in Germany, spending the Cold War in Europe. It was redesignated as 2nd Battalion, 5th Field Artillery on 25 June 1964. The Battalion was assigned to 1st Infantry Division on 15 April 1983. The Battalion was inactivated and relieved from assignment to the 1st Infantry Division on 15 August 1991.
The Battalion was reactivated at Ft Sill, Oklahoma on 16 April 1996. There it gained the distinction of having been the first battalion to equip with the M109A6 Paladin self-propelled howitzer.
In 2000, 2-5th Field Artillery executed a Battery (+) deployment to Kuwait, in direct support of Task Force Garry Owen, led by the 3-7th Cavalry, an element of the 3rd Infantry Division. There 2-5th Field Artillery fired more than 1,700 projectiles. Another deployment to Fort Knox, Kentucky resulted in a second Battery (+) deployment, firing more than 1,650 projectiles for the USMA's mounted maneuver training. Three detachments deployed to Fort Hood, Texas, to support Ulchi Focus Lens and the 1st Cavalry Warfighter exercise. At Fort Sill, Oklahoma, 2-5th Field Artillery executed 6 battery ARTEPs, a battalion ARTEP and 2 Janus/fire simulation TOC exercises.
In 2006, the 214th Field Artillery Brigade was reorganized and redesignated as the 214th Fires Brigade, a modular field artillery brigade. As part of the reorganization, 3rd Battalion, 13th Field Artillery was reassgined to the 75th Fires Brigade. In October 2006, the 2nd Battalion, 5th Field Artillery, preivously serving with the 212th Field Artillery Brigade, was assigned to the 214th Fires Brigade.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|