The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Military


2nd Squadron, 6th Cavalry Regiment
"The Fighting Sixth"

The 2nd Squadron, 6th Cavalry Regiment was first constituted on 4 May 1861 in the Regular Army as Company B, 3d Cavalry. It was redesignated on 3 August 1861 as Company B, 6th Cavalry and organized on 16 August 1861 at Camp Scott, Pennsylvania as Company B, 6th Cavalry. The Squadron participated in the Civil War as part of the Union's first action in the Peninsular Campaign on 4 May 1862. For its participation in the Civil War, the unit earned 16 battle streamers.

Following the war, the 6th Cavalry Regiment participated in 10 Indian Campaigns and was responsible for the surrender of the famous Apache chief Geronimo. Cavalry companies were officially redesignated as roops in 1883, with the unit becoming Troop B, 6th Cavalry. The Regiment also saw action in the Spanish-American War, storming alongside Teddy Roosevelt's "Rough Riders" during the capture of Santiago, Cuba. Between 1916 and 1917, the 6th US Cavalry participated in the punitive expedition to Mexico to end Pancho Villa's raids on American soil. The 6th Cavalry was assigned on 15 August 1927 to the 3rd Cavalry Division and relieved on 1 December 1939 from assignment to the 3rd Cavalry Division.

On 21 July 1942, the unit was reorganized as Troop E, 6th Cavalry, Mechanized. The 6th Cavalry Regiment was broken up on 1 January 1944 and its elements were reorganized and redesignated. Headquarters and Headquarters Troop was reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 6th Cavalry Group, Mechanized. 1st and 2nd Squadrons were reorganized and redesignated as the 6th and 28th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadrons, Mechanized, respectively. Troop B, 6th Cavalry was reorganized and redesignated on 1 January 1944 as Troop F, 6th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized and earned the Presidential Unit Citation for its actions at the Harlange Pocket.

6th and 28th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadrons, Mechanized, were converted and redesignated on 1 May 1946 as the 6th and 28th Constabulary Squadrons, respectively. Troop F, 6th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized was converted and redesignated on 1 May 1946 as Troop E, 6th Constabulary Squadron and again on 20 December 1948 as Company B, 6th Armored Cavalry. The Squadron returned from Europe in 1957, and was stationed at Fort Meade, Maryland.

The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 24 June 1960 as Troop B, 6th Armored Cavalry and was inactivated on 24 October 1963 at Fort Knox, Kentucky. It was reactivated on 23 March 1967 at Fort George G. Meade, Maryland and inactivated on 21 June 1973 at Fort Bliss, Texas. While inactive, it was redesignated on 1 July 1974 as Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 2nd Squadron, 6th Cavalry, and reactivated at Fort Knox, Kentucky with its organic elements concurrently constituted and activated. It was inactivated on 30 May 1986 at Fort Knox, Kentucky.

On 16 July 1986, the 2nd Squadron, 6th Cavalry was reactivated to become part of the 6th Cavalry Brigade, and was the third unit to receive the AH-64 Apache. In January 1988, the Squadron moved from Fort Hood, Texas to Illesheim, Germany and was formally assigned to US Army Europe.

As tensions increased in the Middle East, following the August 1990 Iraqi invasion of Kuwait, the Squadron deployed to Saudi Arabia, as part of Operation Desert Shield. During combat operations as part of Operation Desert Storm, the unit flew 3 combat missions, destroying over 200 armored vehicles, and earning the Valorous Unit Citation.

In October 1996, 2nd Squadron, 6th Cavalry deployed to Tuzla, Bosnia-Herzegovina in support of peacekeeping Operations Joint Endeavor and Joint Guard.

The call to duty came again in April 1999, when the unit deployed to Albania and prepared to conduct combat operations as part of Operation Allied Force. Upon capitulation of Serbian forces, 2nd Squadron, 6th Cavalry redeployed in July 1999 to continue serving as V Corps "tip of the spear."

The 2nd Squadron, 6th Cavalry deployed to Kuwait in September 2002 as part of the build-up in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. The Squadron participated in direct combat under V Corps until 26 June 2003, when it returned to Germany and was inactivated.

The 2nd Squadron, 6th Cavalry reactivated under 21st Cavalry Brigade for the Unit Fielding and Training Program on 12 September 2003 and conducted over 9 months of training at Fort Hood, Texas. The unit was certified combat ready in the AH-64D Longbow Apache in June of 2004 and prepared to return to Illesheim, Germany upon completion of training. After redeployment to Germany, 2-6th Cavalry conducted training operations ensuring readiness prior to their deployment in support of Operation Enduring Freedom VI.

In mid-March 2005, the 2nd Squadron, 6th Cavalry was deployed to Afghanistan to support Operation Enduring Freedom VI. The unit was divided between Bagram, Kandahar, Salerno, and Jalalabad falling under Task Force Sabre and Task Force Storm. In June 2006, the Squadron was inactivated in Germany and reassigned to the 25th Infantry Division.

On 6 June 2006, the 1st Battalion (Attack), 25th Aviation Regiment was reflagged as the 2nd Squadron, 6th Cavalry, which was subsequently reactivated as an element of the Combat Aviation Brigade, 25th Infantry Division. In conjunction with this move, the unit traded in the AH-64 Apache for the OH-58D Kiowa Warrior.

The 2nd Squadron, 6th Cavalry quickly deployed to Iraq in June 2006 for a second tour in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, performing combat operations in support of 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division until redeployment in October 2007.

In September 2009, the 2nd Squadron, 6th Cavalry was deployed a third time in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. The unit served attached to the 3rd Infantry Division for the final tour of combat operations in Iraq until redeployment in August 2010.




NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list



 
Page last modified: 05-07-2011 01:23:43 ZULU