On 08 January 2015, the US Department of Defense announced the consolidation of some U.S. infrastructure in Europe, including the return of 15 sites to their host nations. As a result of this announcement, DoD is to close commissaries at Illesheim and Sembach, as well as the four commissaries in Stuttgart at Kelley Barracks, Patch Barracks, Panzer Barracks and Robinson Barracks, once a new replacement store on Panzer is constructed.
The town of Illesheim is a small German town in the state of Franconia with a population of about 4,000 people. It is located about 45 minutes from the historic city of Nuernberg and two hours from Frankfurt. Storck Barracks is named in honor of Colonel Louis J. Storck, US Army. Colonel Storck served as Executive Officer for the 4th Armored Division, Commander of Combat Command A and the 37th Armored Regiment, and S-3 and Commander of the 704th Tank Destroyer Battalion during World War II. Colonel Storck was awarded the Silver Star posthumously for his gallantry in action near Raids, France from July 17th to 25th, 1944.
The area which now comprises Storck Barracks was obtained by the German government from local landowners in 1934. It occupies about 415 acres and is located east of the village of Illesheim. In 1936, construction began for the "Luft Park" to be utilized by the German Air Force (Luftwaffe). This construction was in conjunction with the Hohenfels Maneuver Training Area (MTA) and in violation of post World War I agreements.
In 1936, the Luft Park went into operation as a supply, maintenance and repair facility for the German Air Force. The Castle Berlichingen in Illesheim was used for the Headquarters. The same year the Bahnhof and the Post Office were built. During this period, the Luft Park also served as a Supply Depot for Sicily and Crete. Only about 20% of the material utilized by the Depot was kept on the airfield. For security reasons, the remainder was distributed throughout the surrounding villages.
Only twice during the 10 year period between the completion of the airfield and the fall of the Nazi government was the airfield ever used by German fighter aircraft. In 1942, the Edelweiss Squadron underwent transition training from the U88 to the Messerschmidt 410 for 10 months before being assigned to the Western Front. 1943 brought a night fighter squadron flying ME410s against Allied Bombers out of England. The squadron was credited with 200 confirmed Allied kills. Between 1943-1944 Illesheim was only attacked twice, once along the railroad tracks and once on the airfield with two drone aircraft being destroyed as a result. In early April 1945, the German soldiers left the airfield, taking with them everything that could be transported and burning the rest.
On the 13th of April the 101st Cavalry Group, US Army captured Illesheim. US Air Force elements used the airfield as a base for combat operations against Nazi Germany from April to May 1945. Since 1947, there has been a succession of US units with a variety of missions stationed at Illesheim. In the late 50's and early 60's new construction was accomplished to include troop billets, a dining facility, and family housing apartments. Major renovations occurred in 1973, and in 1985-1987 the Flight Simulator was constructed. Currently Storck Barracks serves as the Headquarters for 11th Aviation Regiment. The 11th AVN mission is to provide support to V Corps. Major units stationed here are 2/6 CAV, 6/6 CAV, and HHD and A Co 7-159th AVN REGT.
The village of Illesheim is located three miles southwest of the city of Bad Windsheim. The region in which both Bad Windsheim and Illesheim are located is called Franconia in the state of Bavaria. Although exact dates of the settling of the area are not recorded, 450 AD is generally accepted as being correct. The town of Illesheim is a small German town. It is located about 25 miles northwest from the historic city of N|rnberg, two hours from Frankfurt, three hours from Stuttgart and Munich, six hours from Innsbruck, eight hours from Vienna and about eight hours from Paris. Rothenburg, an 800 year old medieval city; Ansbach, site of the summer palace of the Hohenzulerns; W|rzburg, home of Marienburg Fortress; and N|rnberg, site of the N|rnberg trials following World War II, are all within easy travel distance. This small community serves as a market center for the surrounding agricultural area. It is similar to a small farming community in the midwestern United States, and its people are rugged individualists such as those who are found in the New England states.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|