102nd Signal Battalion
The mission of the 102nd Signal Battalion is to installs, operates and maintains warfighter-focused, forward-based communications infrastructure, information systems and services capable of extending the Global Information Grid to enable Theater, Army, Joint, and Combined Force Operations.
Previously, the mission of the 102nd Signal Battalion had been to provide installation signal support (automation, telecommunications, printing and publications and records management) to the warfighters and organizations within the communities of the 53rd and 104th Area Support Groups.
The 102nd Signal Battalion was first constituted on 11 December 1944 in the Army of the United States as the 102nd Signal Heavy Construction Battalion. It was activated on 1 March 1945 in Italy as the 102nd Signal Light Construction Battalion. The Battalion participated in 2 campaigns during the Second World War, North Apennines, Po Valley, and was inactivated after returning from Europe on 2 October 1945 at Camp Myles Standish, Massachusetts.
The Battalion was redesignated on 1 February 1955 as the 102nd Signal Battalion and allotted to the Regular Army. It was activated on 18 March 1955 in Germany, as a microwave and radio relay battalion at Smiley Barracks, Karlsruhe, Germany. The Battalion was inactivated on 13 November 1967 in Germany.
The unit was reactivated on 1 July 1974 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 102nd Signal Battalion. The unit was reactivated in Frankfurt, Germany, with the mission of providing telephone, microwave, and non-tactical telecommunications.
In 1995, the Battalion relocated to Rose Barracks in Bad Kreuznach. Its mission was to provide installation signal support. It relocated to Hanau, Germany on 15 March 2001 and then to Wiesbaden Army Airfield on June 2002
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|